Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammond, Tring and I believe Rambert also need solos.  Hammond - the format of the audition is on their website - just keep scrolling down on the Post 16 dance option.  Max 1 min - any dance style.  My DD did the same solo at Tring as at Hammond so must be similar length - this was 2 years ago but do not believe it has changed.

No solos for Elmhurst, ENBS, Central, Northern

• Like 1

According to their FB page, their email and phone systems are down. :-(

Oh that makes it difficult then! Notice on website it said application pack available from October.

Have found a copy of the sheet with diagrams on from last year but don't know if it will be the same and not sure I am confident enough without dd here to say what the positions are! All photos had to be 10cm x 13cm and does add that girls also need to include en pointe in 2nd position and en pointe in 4th position croise alignment. Seem to remember we may have used same photographs for both Royal and ENBS. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a list of schools that definitely take you into first year at the age of 18. All websites are very ambiguous and before sending off any forms I'd like to know for definite. Thank you all in advance x

All the best to all of you setting out on this exciting and scary audition journey.

DC - try and have fun. Enjoy it and love it.

Parents - you'll make friends along the way and maybe see parts of the country you have never seen before.

It is expensive, exhausting and stressful but, would I do it all again? You bet!!! 

Have a ball

• Like 5

Hello dear balletco peeps.

It's been a year but I am back scouring the forums for tidbits. I would do this more locally but we don't have anything local! There is an American equivalent but since the states is out (impossible to work in the states), this is the best place to see what's going on in the UK and sometimes Europe for aspiring wannabe's.

DD graduates this spring and it's time to start thinking about auditions for that final year of training and/or apprenticeships.... with the other side of the pond being the goal.

So for now just want to say hi!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A question about A Levels for the dancers course. At the Tring open day I spoke to quite a few of the students who were absolutely lovely. One question i asked them was about A Levels and although it states on the website they are by choice and that other dance classes can be taken instead what is the view on this and do all student do A Levels? The feedback I got was that my DD should take A Levels and that it will be expected to take 3 and was told she must think about which ones she will take if she gets in. It felt to me like she would need to take them if she was to be considered for a place if she were ever to be luckily enough to gain a place. My DD is predicted 10 GCSE A-A* although very intelligent is digging her heels in at doing A Levels and said if she does would only want to do 2. She has passed 3 dance/drama exams at equivalent A level. This subject hasn't just been brushed over lightly with my DD we've had many in depth conversations about it. But at the end of the day they know what they want, where theyre heading and my DD has thought in depth about choices and backups. Any one have any knowledge here?

I can only say that my DS is doing 3 - and his friend 4 . On top of this they do IPS which is compulsory , I believe . Some people are only doing 1 or 2 A levels . Your DD could start with. 3 and drop one at As level perhaps ? Maybe worth calling the school . DS is absolutely loving 6 . 1 at Tring - it's really hard work but a great place to do it . Pm me if you need any info x

• Like 1

My daughter is not as academic and although gained excellent GCSEs she didn't want to take A Levels at all. We compromised at A Level art! She is now in upper sixth and has dropped it to do all the morning classes but She has friends who are still doing 2,3 and 4 alongside the IPS level 6 Dance Diploma so I think its really up to the individual and what best works for you. Education is always important and if you are academic then it obviously comes easier. As TutuGirl says...you can always re evaluate at 2nd year but I don't think it makes a difference to them being offered a place. They are just encouraging continued education. Ask any questions you want! Fair few mother's on her of Tringalings. great place. My dad has been happy since day one and is flying there. Good luck and keep us in touch!

• Like 2