Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a teacher I would be concerned sending a young person to any school where the parent was not aware of what measures were put in place around safeguarding. I think young dancers are particularly vulnerable to potential abuse of power as they can fear being asked to leave a school if they speak out.

I should make it clear that my comments are not directed at any school in particular but I would advise any parent to ask whether teachers have been CRB checked, what health and safety regulations are in place and whom to approach if as a parent you have concerns re your child's well-being. I think it's great that places like the RAD etc now have a code of conduct which is accessible to all on their website.

I am not talking about the "my daughter did not get the lead in the school show politics" I am talking on behalf of the students whom I have spent hours coaching to try and undo emotional damage caused by abusive teaching practices. Sadly sometimes it is too late as they become too shut down.

My only wish is that all parents should know where to go if they have concerns that cannot be resolved with the teacher and that all schools should have a child protection policy. There are some wonderful schools out there who engage and challenge students in a fruitful way but it is also important there are mechanisms in place should something go wrong because sadly sometimes it does.

• Like 1

My son went to LRBS a few years ago, then onto a UK vocational school as we were also going to be moving away from London and had all aspects of education to consider. Great teaching at LRBS. The vocational sixth form is new, so I don't know much about that. Maybe I should...

We used to joke about the 1 hour lessons that lasted almost 90 minutes! Although not so sure the adult classes waiting to come in afterwards were so happy... Resigned maybe!

(And the Christmas vodka and champagne party was incredible!)

• Like 4

My name is Natalie Carter, a graduate of the Bolshoi Ballet Academy class of 2013 and am currently studying at the London Russian Ballet School situated in Clapham, London.

I just wanted to write a small blog to explain more about LRBS. The school is currently understated because it is such a new establishment but offers some of the best opportunities a student of ballet could wish to seek. I know many budding dancers automatically look at Elmurst, ENB, Tring etc because of their distinguished name in Ballet but I am asking you to open your mind to a new school. Taught purely by former artists of the greatest russian theatres, namely the Bolshoi and Marinsky.

Obviously as a graduate the dream is the jump straight into signing a contract and dancing on stage with a company. In reality this isn't always the case, the combinations of injuries, lack of confidence and even lack of technique made me decide that the best way to open as many doors as possible to me in the ballet world, would be to endure another year of training. I wanted to find a teacher and environment that would match that of the russian standard I was used to. I have known of LRBS for just over 4 years now; I knew that, unknown to most of the UK, they had on their teaching staff a graduate and former principle/soloist of the Bolshoi Ballet Company.

Choosing to spend my year at LRBS was one of the best decisions I have made to date. While I will never be ungrateful for the training I received whilst in Russia at the Bolshoi Academy, part of me regrets not turning to Evgeny G sooner. He has brought out a new confidence, cleaner technique and stronger stage presence than I could have hoped to receive.

I am willing to bet that as of June last year, to present, I have improved more than I did whilst in Moscow. That's not to say that the Bolshoi Academy cannot teach because the stars they produce are evidence that they can, it is merely a way for me to express how brilliant Evgeny is.

At LRBS, as a full time student, you receive two ballet classes a day and then an abundance of duet, character, russian workout and pointe, not to mention further rehearsals and academic lessons (GCSE and A Level) if you wish to take them.

It is so difficult for me to put into words the excellence of the teaching staff at LRBS. It is the only school in the UK with an employed honoured artist of the Russian Federation, who was a student of Pushkin alongside Nureyev and Baryshnikov.

Artist director, Evgeny Goremykin, trained at the Bolshoi Ballet academy and onto the company itself dancing principle and soloist roles under the tuition of Galina Ulanova and Boris Akimov.

Evgeny created a

Russian ballet Pilates workout, to aid posture and improve technique needed within ballet. It teaches you to work your inner muscles to show you how to correctly place your body, namely to increase turnout, strengthen your core and buttocks and elongate your limbs. This class is also open to the public because it's a great way for anyone to tone and lengthen their body.

Ballet classes are an hour and 30 minutes long. However, morning classes are often extended further because Evgeny keeps the full time students for more studio practice. Usually to include further pirouette exercises and allegro. Evgeny's classes are focused hugely on technique; I often find myself standing on the commute home because my buttocks and legs have been worked so hard that sitting is far too uncomfortable!

There is nothing better than feeling this pain and ache after ballet, because you know you have been working correctly.

While I was in Russia, I could count on my hands the number of occasions I left the studio feeling happy and satisfied with my lessons. My mother can vouch for the fact, that since attending LRBS, for the most

part I always return home feeling positive. Evgeny is an extremely hard task master, perfect for anyone wanting to take ballet seriously. He breaks down movements throughout the class, so that when it comes to the technically harder movements nearing the end of a lesson, you find yourself tackling them with greater ease because, unknown to you, Evgeny has spent the barre focusing the exercises around these harder movements, so that your brain already has an understanding of how your body should move and be placed. Evgeny invests a lot of his time into the students of LRBS, especially during a show rehearsal period. Fred, pupil of LRBS since it's opening, will spend from 1pm until 3 everyday in the studio with Evgeny to perfect a variation. Fred then goes for lunch but Evgeny remains in the studio to aid the next student in line. This is just one example of his deification to the school and to ballet.

Please don't be put off by the shouting you hear taking place inside the studio! It's the day the shouting stops you should worry because that will be the day Evgeny no longer cares.

Evgeny and the rest of the staff are all extremely passionate about what they do and aim to draw the best out of every student. This can be quite tough but I have never seen a student cry due to what a teacher has said, only through sheer frustration with themselves and their own performance. Ballet is difficult, so highs and lows are expected. We must also remember it is an art and because of that a lot of passion invested causing emotions to run high at times. LRBS have taught me to channel this into my performance.

LRBS are blessed to have welcomed Anatoly Sidorov, Honoured Artist of Russia, to their permanent staff. It is rare for a school anywhere in the world to state an honoured artist of Russia is on their teaching staff, usually such acknowledged artists are reserved to coach only in the top theatres. The former principle if the Marinsky in St Petersburg is their Head of Duet. With partnering knowledge exceeding 50 years, Anatoly has the ability to explain and show how to correctly position the body and carry out movements when partnering.

Anatoly also teaches ballet, his lessons are much like a company class.

Giving students an insight to life in a company and also a contrast to the technique classes received under Evgeny.

The girls teacher is Natasha Malandina, former pupil of Marina Semyonova whilst at the Bolshoi Theatre.

Teona Charkviana worked with Nina Ananiashvilli and was a character principal. Teona teaches the students about character technique, understanding the difference between national dance styles and of course, all the character repertoire used in the greatest ballets.

It really is such a great opportunity to be taught by individuals who have danced on some of the most renowned stages in the world, in some of the most difficult roles in ballet. Particularly for boys because no one knows how to jump quite like the Russians!

At Christmas LRBS began the refurbishment of the current building.

Tackling a studio at a time to increase the size, acoustics and flooring, to enhance the learning facilities as much as possible. Once complete, the school will have 4 ballet studios, two of which will be large rehearsal studios. Once complete I am certain the facilities will be some of the best in London with huge rehearsal space.

With Evgeny being so acknowledged in the ballet world, we are also fortunate to receive many prestigious guests.

Last year a young choreographer from the Marinsky, Vladamir Varnova and Yuri Smekalov, came to the school for several weeks to intensively work with myself and others. We were taught their choreography and how to move like a contemporary dancer. It was a crazy experience because they have worked with Svetlana Zakharova, to name just one artist who likes their work. I was so lucky to be given such an opportunity. Yuri also coached LRBS students for the Helsinki ballet competition, prior to this students were also able to discuss their roles with Nina Ananiashvilli, renowned for her portrayal of Aurora.

Before our performance of Les Sylphides in November, we were lucky enough to work intensively with Aliona (last name). A soloist of the Vienna state ballet, known for her portrayal in this particular ballet. Aliona taught the girls how to move with grace and how to work as a team. This was an important lesson because the unison of the corps de ballet in a company is a vital factor when producing a 5 star show. Natasha Malandina coached us even further, shaping even the angles of our fingers to ensure we captured the ballet's style properly.

As well as this, Svetlana Adyrkhaeva and Boris Akimov, respected teachers at the Bolshoi Theatre, came to watch classes and give their own personal corrections. I was lucky enough to receive a week of personal training with Svetlana while she was here touring with the Bolshoi Ballet Company. I cannot thank Evgeny and LRBS enough for that opportunity.  Both Svetlana Adyrkhaeva and Boris Akimov will be returning in the summer to coach the students prior to the July performance and to give general classes. To my recollection, This is not available in other schools.

In regards to academics, the opportunities are continually growing. The school has a link with St Paul's boys school. The academic staff have excellent teaching backgrounds, former pupils of St Paul's, a doctor from Kings College, just to name a few.

The school recognises that while ballet is their prime focus, academics are of equal importance and being educated is vital because everyone is aware that a dance career does not last a lifetime and many dancers will not want to go on to teach dancing after they end their career on stage.

Some of the LRBS students are aiming at London based universities to gain both a degree and conus de with their ballet training. This will be of great advantage to them, as while a BA degree in performing arts is a wonderful achievement, unfortunately it is not always respected outside of world of theatre.  

I know that Harriet tried her hardest to offer each student the choice of subjects they are interested in studying.

I know this was an extremely long winded entry but I wanted to give you as much information as possible because it is amazing to me that LRBS doesn't receive enough acknowledgement for what they achieve and offer. Particularly when students are in search of a vocational ballet school. Admittedly, it is a new establishment and still in its baby years as a school but you couldn't find a better staff. For students serious about ballet and want a standard of training equal to that of the Bolshoi Ballet Academy and Vaganova Academy, I highly recommend you visit their website and send in an audition application.

Another amazing factor to consider, is that they do not restrict the financial help they offer their students. If you do not have the money it does not matter. The school finds a way for you to train regardless, they are far more interested in your desire to learn and your potential than the size of your wallet! It is amazing to see such a dedicated staff wanting to create opportunity rather than profit. I think it is absolutely right that they expect the best from and for their students.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write such an informative post. I am sure it will encourage many young dancers to investigate! So lovely to read a straight forward post about what this school has to offer.
  • Like 4

Brilliant post Natalie I can only second everything Natalie has said and for those of you that don't get offers at other ballet places give LRBS a call I know they are holding auditions in June, or you can normally take class with them. Good luck to all of you and as some of you know it is through this forum that we found LRBS so thanks again

• Like 2

Hello I am new on here and wondering if anyone has a child at Rambert School please?

I am told by the school that on audition day students can get through by just doing the audition classes if not asked to do a solo etc.. Has anyone had child been offered a place there on this basis, your help is appreciated please?

I am told this has happened, just seeing if anyone out there can confirm this please as not sure how things work?

Thank you.

Edited by so proud

Hi to all, not sure how to use this site!!!     

Rambert School Auditions Process!                                                    

I am told by the school that on audition day students can get through by just doing the audition classes if not asked to do a solo etc.. Has anyone had a child been offered a place there on this basis, your help is appreciated please?

I am told this has happened, just seeing if anyone out there can confirm this please as not sure how things work?

Thank you

Edited by so proud

Thank you for the welcome :D

It would be interesting to know because the teachers say this at audition, that some people get in purely on the audition classes without doing the other things, so it be  nice to hear if anyone got a place by just doing the audition classes at Rambert?

Hope someone will know :)

Thanks agian

Guest dancer2027

Hey! I had my Rambert audition recently, there were 25 in the class 8 called for a solo and 6 then for a physio and int. I was one of the 6 so I can keep you posted to see what happens. Worrying to hear that they didn't take the one person who did a ballet solo (on the rambert thread mum in a spin posted ^) as I was the only one who did a ballet solo en pointe choreographed by my teacher, whilst everyone else did their own contemporary solos. I just hope the panel realize that it is a lot harder to choreograph ballet than contemporary! (not trying to offend anyone btw!) 

Fingers crossed and I can let people know if I got a place as it could be useful for other students auditioning later; i know they audition up till end of April so lots of students for very few spaces

I don't know about whether or not having a solo and int etc. is a yes or no, they were very clear that you could be in without and that the physios may have seen a weak knee etc. and wanted to check it out.

Good luck to your daughter so proud xx

• Like 3

Anyone else feeling a bit twitchy during this waiting for results process??????? or is it just me??

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! I'm coming to terms with the arts world do everything at their own speed .... I just wish it was a bit quicker!

Never mind it will soon be over and we will be able to look back on it ..... Pleased we won't have to do it again .... :)

• Like 1

Does any of you know how long it takes from Rambert has received the audition DVD until you'll get a yes or no?

I got a mail telling that they had received my DVD, and that they should let me know as soon as possible whether it was a yes/no. :)

Guest dancer2027

I would assume 2/3 weeks SBallerina as all auditionees were told to wait 2 weeks for results; the panel have to consider all the other applicants they have coming through between now and April but I could be wrong it's a wild guess sorry!

Also quick question, do DVD applicants for rambert have to go for a physio/ interview like the other applicants if they get recalled? Only I would assume they would want to meet every applicant first before offering a place to keep things fair.

Good luck! :) xx

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know how many girls Elmhurst are likely to take this year for first year sixth form? I heard (through the grapevine so may not be accurate) that they have taken most of their year 11s into the sixth form so how many places does that leave ? We're waiting any day now for the dreaded letter and I'm so worried DD has no chance at all!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about upper school fees. International students pay full fees usually between GBP 14000 and GBP17000. Does anyone know if this needs to be paid in full up front or if term or semester payments can be made at most schools. We don't have a UK guarantor so we know that the cost of accommodation around GBP12000 will already need to be paid up front in full.