Rambert auditions

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

I see on the Rambert site that all students complete a ballet class and contemporary session at the audition and that some are asked to do a solo, have an interview or have a physio check.

Is there any anecdotal evidence to indicate what it means to be asked to do any of the extra sessions? Does anyone that doesn't do them actually get offered a place? It sounds to me as though it is a way of cutting people until they are left with the final few who have passed each round of selection!

The site also implies that not all applicants are offered an audition - is that right?

I gather that there are several audition dates but no final as such. Are places only offered after all the auditions have taken place or are they offered after each audition? is it worth an early audition?

where do most of their students come from i.e. other vocational schools or local schools?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My information is based on experience from over two years ago. Our experience was that if you got through the stages on the day and ended on interview/physio then you got an offer. However, since then I have heard of someone getting to that stage and still not getting an offer so definitely not a foregone conclusion if you get to the end of the day. My DS got an offer after his audition despite there still being audition days to take place and I believe this is often the case.

Students in that year came from a very wide range of places, not all vocational schools.

Our experience from last year's audition (dd now current 1st year.) 

Not everyone who applies (despite paying the fee) will get an audition - they sift for suitability at the application stage.

Out of each audition (male and females audition separately) there are about 5 or 6 who are asked to do a solo; out of this group some or all will then be asked to have an interview and physio examination. Not all who get through to this stage will be offered a place, though it is a very good indication that they like you and are seriously considering an offer or reserve place. At the audition they say that just because you haven't got to this stage, it doesn't mean you won't be offered a place - but I would think that can only be in certain exceptional circumstances (possibly they already know and want you?)

The audition is held on one day only (morning or afternoon.) Therefore the 'final' audition consists of those who get through to perform their solo and then go onto the interview/physio stage.

Places are offered in stages - usually a fortnight after each set of auditions take place. Not sure about doing an early audition, as plenty of the first years auditioned later and still got places - I think if they want you they want you.

Rambert audition overseas - there are lots of overseas students in the current first year.

There seems quite a variety of backgrounds from which the students come: the ones I know of are White Lodge, Northern Ballet CAT, the contemporary CAT schemes, Ballet West, Tring, Birds, and overseas students from all sorts of different training. Some are 16, others are 18, and the age goes up to around 22/23.

• Like 2

My dd auditioned last year and got selected to perform a solo. She was one of seven kept back, but then unfortunately was the only one not asked to stay for interview/physio. (She didn't get offer either). Whether there is any significance in this, but out of the seven who did solos, she was the only one who performed a classical ballet solo, all the others did a contemporary piece. Where she also realised she messed up was she performed a variation from one of the ballets, rather than an individually choreographed number. Think this went against her and she now regrets this.

On the day, whilst the first round of auditions are taking place, parents are given a tour of the premises and can ask any questions. Someone on my tour actually asked the question of whether being kept for a solo etc is indicative of whether they are intetested in you & we were told by the member of staff categorically no. However, I personally don't know of anyone bring offered a place who didn't get asked to perform solo. Nevertheless I do know of someone who, like my dd, did a solo but then no intetvirw/physio, and got offered reserve list.

Guest Autumn days

Thank you everyone, this is all really helpful and what I expected!

Does anyone have more thoughts about the suitability of doing a ballet solo versus contemporary?

Ballet versus contemporary solo -

I honestly don't think it matters - more girls did ballet solos than contemporary when my dd auditioned.

Probably a good idea to do your own choreography though if possible, as Rambert are very keen on this and it is a big part of the curriculum. 

• Like 2

Fully agree with Klaris, & with hindsight my dd knew it was a very foolish mistake just performing a variation. It probably looked to the panel like she hadn't put any effort or thought into her audition & couldn't be bothered! As yoy say, choreography is a major part of the curriculum at Rambert. But I think back at the time she had far too much on her plate by auditioning for way too many schools, plus all her GCSE work, and didn't even pause to stop & think about the importance of it.

• Like 1

As yoy say, choreography is a major part of the curriculum at Rambert. But I think back at the time she had far too much on her plate by auditioning for way too many schools, plus all her GCSE work, and didn't even pause to stop & think about the importance of it.

This is part of the problem, when many of our DCs are having to apply for multiple schools. We 'only' did 5 and that was horrendous enough.

Our kids have so much on their plate in Y11, so research and organisation is absolutely key. And if they need to prepare a solo, and really do want a place at that school, the time and energy for creating, preparing and rehearsing that solo has to be factored in...even if there's the possibility that you might not get to dance it  :(

BUT - my dd had nowhere to make her solo or practise it as she was home schooled and we couldn't find anywhere that was suitable and free locally; she only managed to snatch 3 or 4 lunchtime periods in one of her CAT studios - and therefore felt that the piece really was not as polished as she would have liked. What I'm trying to say is that they won't expect perfection if it is self-choreographed - so it's important our DCs don't get stressed out further by any solos they may have to do.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

Thanks all, it is a great help. It's encouraging to know that they maybe don't expect perfection - as yes, it's tricky to work on a solo when there is so much else going on!!

• 4 months later...

Just bumping to ask if people in the know feel there is a preferred physique for Rambert? All the video clips on their website show classical ballet type physiques amongst the girls, and I wondered if this is generally the case, or whether they do in fact accept, and reflect the wider variety of physiques you tend to see amongst the contemporary courses elsewhere?

Thoughts please?........

Oooh thanks LinMM, exactly what I wanted to hear.

Didn't realise there were auditions tomorrow but good luck all. I've always loved Ballet Rambert (sorry for old name, can't get over it!)so anyone wanting to study there has my approval and best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry osmum but I suspect it is just a question of waiting.  Some people will have offers from more than one place at the moment and not all auditions are finished yet.  There will be quite a lot of movement on offers/reserve lists over the next 6 weeks or so. 

Guest dancer2027

I haven't heard from my audition 2 weeks ago, not from anyone else who auditioned. Osmum and sballerina did both your DDs audition via DVD? Seems like they are sending replies out to those applicants first?

Also great news about a reserve, I get the impression they have around 300 applicants so a reserve is an achievement in itself but I can imagine even more waiting is difficult when results take so long to come out in the first place! fingers crossed you get a place!

Guest Autumn days

Have all the Rambert auditions taken place now? I thought they still had more to go so it may be a while before there is any movement on the waiting list I am afraid!

Well done to those who have heard they are on the waiting list!

Guest Autumn days

I can see that it is probably always like that as there is probably less overlap with auditions. It seems that everyone auditions for all the same classical schools and it is a different set of people that audition for Rambert - at 16, at least!