Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dancer2027

Good luck to everyone with their auditions, my first one is ENBS next weekend :S

Just some information about LRBS as it has been discussed previously, I attended the school a few years back for a few years as one of their , the standard of training was high I certainly increased in my strength, flexibility, technique and overall gained a lot more gritty determination with the Russian method. I was on the junior vocational course (ages 10-16) However, there is a lot of pressure to perform in their shows and I found that I was often sitting watching or rehearsing instead of actually practicing, for example when I came to my new school I was quite far behind for my age en pointe, picking up steps quickly etc, because the school seemed a bit bogged down in technique technique technique... I therefore would be concerned about graduates competing for jobs. Furthermore the studios were small and so there wasn't much room to dance. Students were often treated unfairly and pretty much every class someone ran out crying. I think that was the high pressure and demands of the school on students who were often there every day including Sundays for rehearsals and were just worn out so couldn't handle any more pain and harsh criticism. The environment was strict and although they made sure that skinny girls were eating properly, others such as myself, were called out during class or politely spoken to after class to maybe drop a few pounds before shows etc. I didn't have too much of a problem with this but I think sometimes the way it was done was unfair especially when you were called out in front of friends during barre etc. 

However, I do not want to put anyone off as this was just my experience and I know many girls who are happy there, the small class sizes and individual attention is fantastic and as I was never a full time student because I left before my A levels, I never experienced the full feeling of the school. I am also aware that some of the teachers who used to be unhelpfully unkind on students have left now. The shows, despite taking time up from classes where I would loved to have just danced in a free space, were great to do and always to a high standard. For example, we got to wear original Russian tutus for Swan Lake, danced at the Royal College of Music theatre and when the Bolshoi came to London we were given free pairs of their spare pointe shoes! 

As for studio size, I am aware that they are currently building new studios so I am sure that will fix that problem, and my parents were impressed with the wide range of a levels on offer; the director of the school is friendly and has a lot of drive for the students to succeed not only in ballet but academically. As I said before, a lot has changed since then I am sure, and definitely go and check it out for yourself a few times! I tried the first class and never wanted to go back but after a few weeks you man-up and get on with it, you start to enjoy the pain! Dedication in students is certainly rewarded and I hope that the school succeeds, after all there needs to be more top UK ballet schools as the demand for places is crazy! 

Discipline is a must in ballet generally but certainly be prepared for hard work at the LRBS, after all it is Russian. Get to know the school, they are very welcoming, and work out if this is the place for you, unfortunately it just wasn't the school for me.

• Like 1

Hi Pastel. Sorry to hear that and I hope you don't have to wait too long to hear from the others.

Please keep this thread for questions/discussions about the auditions, and post news on the "news from auditions" thread.

• Like 2

Sorry just a quick reply to flutterby re LRBS

I agree about the studios.....only one was of a decent size. The smaller one (where I do most of my classes when there) doesn't give much space for a really grand allegro piece!! But is fine for everything else but I still prefer a little more space around me. I do hope they are adding on a couple of larger size studios but won't be going there now until the end of Feb.

I agree about the hard work ethic there......certainly what Ive picked up just from attending infrequent classes.

Of course I'm a rather seasoned old adult and forget that teenagers(in the vocational school) may well find the discipline and challenge to continually pull out your best.......when some days you just don't feel like it......rather challenging and I'm sure when younger I would have been leaving the room in tears some days!!!

I did assume the performance opportunities would be fun but probably not then if taking up ALL free time.......one needs a bit of time to oneself however dedicated you are! I hope of course students wouldn't be missing out on normal ballet lessons because of this.....or only in a couple of weeks before a show perhaps........not as par for the course.

Anyway good luck with your audition I hope you are successful but let us know how it all went.

Linda x

Hi can I please pick some off your knowledgeable brains please.

My Dd is auditioning on Monday 3rd for 6th form The Hammond 1st time there so a few general questions. I've booked into the travel lodge on warrington road as mentioned on previous threads, and going to pop over to cheshireoaks while waiting. What I wanted to know was, what time do the introduction finish for parents in the morning? and what time must you check out of the travel lodge?  I'm going to be on my own so was going to go back to my room for a bit then go over to look at the shops as other wise its a very long time, and fingers crossed if she is invited to do the afternoon section of the audition it will mean a even longer day of wondering about like billy no mates :wacko: also she not had any singing lessons and have printed the music off the internet so don't even know if its in her 'key' will the pianist know this and help her along a little? They were lovely over the phone and said for her not to stress about singing so feel silly phoning to ask this. Thank you

I think checkout is noon but certainly there was plenty of time to go back to the Travelodge after the parents bit.  I think the talk and tour of the school was done by 10.30 approx.  Don't worry about being on your own, both when I took my DD a few years ago and a friends DD this year, there were quite a few of us headed back to the carvery next door to the Travelodge for a coffee and a chat while we waited.  A few years ago that was on the suggestion of Hammond as the weather was so atrocious it was somewhere warm and dry to wait.  Cheshire Oaks is not far though and you can pass quite a bit of time there, even if you are only window shopping. Music-wize I am sure Pictures knows better than I do but really do tell your DD not to worry.  My DD was so nervous they stopped her, gave her some tips and let her start again. 

• Like 1

Hi Sugarplums mum,

We were at Hammond last Monday and after the parents bit I drove into the town centre by 11.00, about 15 mins driving so I would say 10.30ish finish would be about right. Tell her not to worry about the singing, my DD felt she messsed up her first song but still went through to the afternoon. She said everybody was very nice and I was impressed by the warm atmosphere in the school. Good luck to your DD and tell her to enjoy her day.

Dramascientist

Well - a 'no' for my dd for RBS video preliminary audition. Not a surprise, but disappointing just the same, she hoped to at least get through to the finals for one of the schools. Still waiting on the others.

Hi pastel, just wondered what the situation down under is regarding quality dance academys? It's just that a friend of the family emigrated there last year, and one of the daughters is a very talented classical dancer, who no doubt will be looking for a school soon. 

Vonrothbart - there are some excellent schools here in Australia, many offering full time courses from about 14yrs (along with distance ed or homeschooling). Most of them train dancers to the level where they can apply for company attached schools overseas. We have the Australian Ballet school which up until now has been the main one to train students to a level where they can audition for companies. It isn't a huge school and the graduate success is ok but not brilliant. Students come from a wide geographical area including NZ and Asia.

18 months ago, Li Cunxin became AD for Queensland Ballet, which up until last year was a 'local' company. He has done wonders and it looks like the company will really take off quickly. They have a pre-pro course now. West Australian Ballet have also just started a pre-pro course but their company isn't very well known, plus no graduate history yet.

Most students audition for international schools.

Having done the rounds of considering different schools, I've been told numerous times now that all of the privately run ones will get your student to a level where they can apply for pre-pro schools overseas but not to company audition level.

• Like 2

Good luck to everyone with their auditions, my first one is ENBS next weekend :S

Just some information about LRBS as it has been discussed previously, I attended the school a few years back for a few years as one of their , the standard of training was high I certainly increased in my strength, flexibility, technique and overall gained a lot more gritty determination with the Russian method. I was on the junior vocational course (ages 10-16) However, there is a lot of pressure to perform in their shows and I found that I was often sitting watching or rehearsing instead of actually practicing, for example when I came to my new school I was quite far behind for my age en pointe, picking up steps quickly etc, because the school seemed a bit bogged down in technique technique technique... I therefore would be concerned about graduates competing for jobs. Furthermore the studios were small and so there wasn't much room to dance. Students were often treated unfairly and pretty much every class someone ran out crying. I think that was the high pressure and demands of the school on students who were often there every day including Sundays for rehearsals and were just worn out so couldn't handle any more pain and harsh criticism. The environment was strict and although they made sure that skinny girls were eating properly, others such as myself, were called out during class or politely spoken to after class to maybe drop a few pounds before shows etc. I didn't have too much of a problem with this but I think sometimes the way it was done was unfair especially when you were called out in front of friends during barre etc. 

However, I do not want to put anyone off as this was just my experience and I know many girls who are happy there, the small class sizes and individual attention is fantastic and as I was never a full time student because I left before my A levels, I never experienced the full feeling of the school. I am also aware that some of the teachers who used to be unhelpfully unkind on students have left now. The shows, despite taking time up from classes where I would loved to have just danced in a free space, were great to do and always to a high standard. For example, we got to wear original Russian tutus for Swan Lake, danced at the Royal College of Music theatre and when the Bolshoi came to London we were given free pairs of their spare pointe shoes! 

As for studio size, I am aware that they are currently building new studios so I am sure that will fix that problem, and my parents were impressed with the wide range of a levels on offer; the director of the school is friendly and has a lot of drive for the students to succeed not only in ballet but academically. As I said before, a lot has changed since then I am sure, and definitely go and check it out for yourself a few times! I tried the first class and never wanted to go back but after a few weeks you man-up and get on with it, you start to enjoy the pain! Dedication in students is certainly rewarded and I hope that the school succeeds, after all there needs to be more top UK ballet schools as the demand for places is crazy! 

Discipline is a must in ballet generally but certainly be prepared for hard work at the LRBS, after all it is Russian. Get to know the school, they are very welcoming, and work out if this is the place for you, unfortunately it just wasn't the school for me.

See you there as DD is at ENB on 8th too!! She is in at 1.15??

F xxx

Hi can I please pick some off your knowledgeable brains please.

My Dd is auditioning on Monday 3rd for 6th form The Hammond 1st time there so a few general questions. I've booked into the travel lodge on warrington road as mentioned on previous threads, and going to pop over to cheshireoaks while waiting. What I wanted to know was, what time do the introduction finish for parents in the morning? and what time must you check out of the travel lodge?  I'm going to be on my own so was going to go back to my room for a bit then go over to look at the shops as other wise its a very long time, and fingers crossed if she is invited to do the afternoon section of the audition it will mean a even longer day of wondering about like billy no mates :wacko: also she not had any singing lessons and have printed the music off the internet so don't even know if its in her 'key' will the pianist know this and help her along a little? They were lovely over the phone and said for her not to stress about singing so feel silly phoning to ask this. Thank you

Best of luck to her from us! <3 xxx

• Like 1

Guest dancer2027

See you there as DD is at ENB on 8th too!! She is in at 1.15??

F xxx

My audition is 8th 10.30 am, but wish your DD luck! :) xxx

It's not necessarily easier but there are far more options at 16 & also more options for those who arnt necessarily classical dancers

At 11 if you need funding there are four schools. At 16 there are places like ENB, Central, Ballet West etc as well as the musical theatre. & dance colleges such as Bird, Laines, Urdang, etc etc

• Like 1

I really wanted to ask this question about u/school as I have seen this written a lot and cannot understand it. Why does everyone say that it is so much easier to get into vocational school at 16? Surely there are just as many dc applying and why are a lot of the u/school places funded? I am quite confused by this!

I think there are more places, because as well as RBS, Elmhurst, Tring and Hammond, there's also ENB, Central, Rambert & Northern (to name a few) who only take from 16+.

Re funding, alongside the DADA scheme some of the schools are degree-level courses so you can qualify for degree funding.

• Like 1

I agree with the others - it's not easier to get into the upper schools compared to lower schools, but more choices come into play with lots of other ballet, MT, contemporary, general dance colleges to try for

Please bear in mind though that funding at 16 is more complex. Only a couple of classical ballet focused schools offer student funding option, ie degree, hnd and most offer the Dance and Drama award (DaDa). This is now means-tested similarly, but not the same) as the MDS but crucially the cut off point for not qualifying for a DaDa is much lower (currently at 70k total household income) and accommodation costs are separate. There is a separate thread all about the new DaDa rules on here if you search.

• Like 1

Hi flutterby just wanted to reply to your post, u must know my DDs as my youngest is in junior vocational at LRBS unless u left the school before 2011? I know the teacher in question was asked to leave once the school was aware of the situation also wanted to add that the teacher was english not Russian and I do agree that the discipline for vocational students is strict, my DDs like that as they like to be pushed perhaps that doesn't suit everyone. The new teachers at the school are lovely and Last week i watched a class with a teacher from the Marinsky ballet company .Also in regard to the shows I know at one time there were a lot of performances the Director realised that it was too much so now they only do two theatre performances a year and the odd outreach. Last year the school performed at Eton, the Eton students played the music for LRBS it was a lovely experience for the ballet students. They also performed at Cadogan Hall in London with talented music students from the Russian School of music. The building work which is in progress and once finished will benefit the students and the Director has said that it will boast some of the finest studios in London, it is only the first phrase at the moment. Anyway good luck with your auditions and the School have also asked me to say that you are welcome to visit at anytime.

• Like 2

Guest dancer2027

Hi double trouble as I said in our pm I was glad the school has improved since then and it sounds as if my old friends are getting really good training. I wish your daughter and her friends every luck in their futures