Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Interesting that they said that as they never mentioned anything like that when my dd auditioned 2 years ago... She has an April birthday. It is true it can be daunting being away in London at a young age but they seem to cope. Perhaps being away at vocational school for 5 years beforehand fosters independence.

Good luck to all who are auditioning for ENBS. My daughter is very happy with the school.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it also depends what your DC have decided to do re: Academics when it comes to auditioning at 17.  A shame to leave half way through a qualification.

Many years ago, somebody was advised to re-apply to Laines the following year as her birthday was in August, she did and she was successful.

kiwimum6 - it was 2 years ago for my DD too - and I'm not sure there were any vocational students on that audition experience day. Perhaps it was a polite way to indicate to the group that they were not ready to audition - who knows. I know DD came out saying only a couple of people took application forms as everyone else had later birthdays. DD chose not to audition but would have tried the following year had she not been successful elsewhere.

Academics are the other obvious consideration I agree.

great advice hfbrew! will bear it in mind....if she is offered more than one.....

hi cornishprincess - it's not even if you get offered more than one - it's holding what is a fantastic offer and one that DD is over the moon with whilst she completes the rest of the auditions .... Each place offers something unique - weighing up the pro and cons of each is the difficult bit ....... anyone got a spare crystal ball I could borrow?!!!!
  • Like 1

Hi LifeafterBallet I am sure that your daughter will know where feels right for her and that will be the time to accept the offer - how lovely to have an offer going forward - a great position to be in :) good luck with her future auditions and the decision!

• Like 4

May I ask where she has gained a place ? I didn't think any results were out yet ? However , I only know of the ones my DS is doing . Incidentally one of my pupils is awaiting Urdang results from Sunday last week . Anyone heard from that one ? We await Elmhurst from Weds.

DD was supposedto do that one - but she had 3 mock GCSEs the next day so I re-arranged it for Friday 13th :rolleyes:  - I think they said about 3 weeks for results

Do you know how long the day went on for? they warned it could go beyond 6:30 which worried me with the exams the next day

Hello,  my DD got finals for Elmhurst for upper school, which is great.  Her friend also got finals.  I just wanted to mention that there was also enclosed a form regarding finance, which asked about other siblings of school age and about wage brackets right up to £150k, so there is a vague hope that the funding may change and not be cut off at £70k for full fees!

• Like 7

hi cornishprincess - it's not even if you get offered more than one - it's holding what is a fantastic offer and one that DD is over the moon with whilst she completes the rest of the auditions .... Each place offers something unique - weighing up the pro and cons of each is the difficult bit ....... anyone got a spare crystal ball I could borrow?!!!!

Dd was offered Ballet West which we accepted there and then and proceeded to tear up all the other application forms! She fell in love with it and knows a few people there. She loved the audition class.

It completely took the pressure off and she is carrying on with the rest of Year 11 with things sorted. 

This approach won't be right for everyone - but I'm just pointing out that sometimes for some people one offer is enough.

Family dynamics, personality of DD and lifestyle all need to be taken into account and these vary enormously from family to family don't they.

Edited by Rizzo
  • Like 19

Guest Autumn days

Hello,  my DD got finals for Elmhurst for upper school, which is great.  Her friend also got finals.  I just wanted to mention that there was also enclosed a form regarding finance, which asked about other siblings of school age and about wage brackets right up to £150k, so there is a vague hope that the funding may change and not be cut off at £70k for full fees!

That sounds very much like the MDS forms/criteria - I wonder if they have sent the wrong ones by mistake?

Well done to your dd and her friend!!

We were told on one of the days we did a tour that some lower school students that went on to upper school were able to retain their MDS awards....

Absolutely no mention of this at last two meetings current yr 11 and parents have had about preparation for sixth form/auditions. Funding very much a priority for discussion at first of these meetings as changes to DaDa had only recently been announced. Mention of bursaries for sixth form regardless of DaDa. 

• Like 1

I wondered whether they'd open up more of their mds places to upper school because otherwise I'm convinced they'll "lose" students they want because they can't afford to go with a DaDA. But they only have a certain number of mds places and if they give them to upper school students there'll be fewer to go round in lower school

I wondered whether they'd open up more of their mds places to upper school because otherwise I'm convinced they'll "lose" students they want because they can't afford to go with a DaDA. But they only have a certain number of mds places and if they give them to upper school students there'll be fewer to go round in lower school

Could this be the reason there were so few MDS places at a certain school this year...?

• 2 weeks later...