Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had an email today about DD's Elmhurst final. Evidently they have had so many applicants that they are putting on an extra afternoon of finals on the 12th March, with it seems at least 2 sessions on the 13th. Can't help wondering how many there will be. Oh well I was wondering whether the finals would be in one session - I certainly know the answer to that question now lol !

The Kelvingrove Art Gallery is a lovely big old quirky Victorian museum, with usually plenty of parking outside, a nice cafe and if you're lucky some classical ensemble playing - about ten minutes drive from the Conservatoire.  Or if you want to stay beside the RCS, you could park in the John Lewis car park and wait for your dd in the Buchanan Galleries mall (same shops as every other town though).

• Like 1

Thanks HumflyDumfly but we're flying to Glasgow and going home by Megabus (no flights home) so no car :(

We are flying too - anticipating it taking half the time in this wind!!! You really don't need a car - everything is very close within the city itself. It's just getting from airport that's the difficult bit. Good luck to your DD.

I live in Glasgow - loads to do! Kelvingrove as mentioned, lots of shopping in city centre if you want to stay close to RCS (although are the auditions at the main building or Spiers Lock studios?)lots of cafés, restaurants etc (& one in RCS) You could get the underground from Buchanan Street to Hillhead for West End shopping, cafés etc, to Kelvinhall for Kelvingrove. (Parking busy for West End shopping) There's the Riverside museum (transport related too), Science Centre, IMAX, Cathedral, Religious Life museum, The Lighthouse (very near RCS)...loads of stuff! The city centre streets are in a grid so you're unlikely to get lost too :) good luck to your daughter!

• Like 2

Thanks Double Trouble, I agree with the education part... It's wonderful to have the chance to get a fantastic education. It's just that DD2 has spent her young life juggling school work and lots of hours of dance and the idea to start on a new series of A'levels just when she will have finished her French ones is not met with glee... I'm working on trying to change her mind though...

Sorry if I answered at the wrong place I can't manage to find your original post now that I have written an answer! :huh:

Edited by afab

Sorry if this is the wrong question for here but is about upper school auditions. My dd is now 14 she will be 15 in october I know this makes me lokk stupid but which year does she apply for auditions. Is it later this year when she turns 15 or the next school year.

Sorry for silly question and thank you in advance for any answers

• Like 1

"Sorry if this is the wrong question for here but is about upper school auditions. My dd is now 14 she will be 15 in october I know this makes me lokk stupid but which year does she apply for auditions. Is it later this year when she turns 15 or the next school year.

Sorry for silly question and thank you in advance for any answers"

Not a stupid question. I was wondering exactly the same the other day as my daughter was the born the same month and year as yours...

Edited by afab

It's in the academic year that pupils do their GCSE's that they audition for Upper Schools/Colleges/6th Forms.

Sorry to be thick but school years in the UK are still not perfectly clear for me... Does it mean that being born in October, one does GCSE's when already 15? Hence auditions are when already 15? Edited by afab

Ballemum, it is Year 11 in the UK. If you are living abroad then you may care to know that school years run from September to July and that unlike, say, Canada the children in a school year have birthdays which fall between September of one year and August of the following year. In Canada children born in a single calendar year are in the same school year even though the school year runs from September to June.

• Like 1

In the UK the school year is 1st September to 31st August. You audition in year 11, so you will be 15 on 1st September when you start year 11. Auditions run November to March April time, GCSEs are in the May, June and you will be 16 by the 31st August latest. Hence it is possible to be 15 or 16 when auditioning and taking GCSEs depending on when your birthday is. Coming from abroad I suspect it will depend on when your leaving exams are and official school leaving age. To be with your peers in upper school at vocational school here you would normally have had your 16th birthday by 31st August before starting in the September but I have know children from other countries be 15 at the start of the course, with their 16th birthday falling by 31st December. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is the wrong question for here but is about upper school auditions. My dd is now 14 she will be 15 in october I know this makes me lokk stupid but which year does she apply for auditions. Is it later this year when she turns 15 or the next school year.

Sorry for silly question and thank you in advance for any answers

In England, N Ireland and Wales your DD is now in Year 9.

In the next school year (September 1st 2014 - 31st August 2015) she will be in Year 10 as she will be 15 in October 2014 and then 16 in October 2015, so from September 2015 is when you need to start applying for Upper School auditions and she will also be taking her GCSE's in that school year.

(I think that is correct!)

In Scotland the years are different I believe.

• Like 1

a question back at your Afab - just being nosy - but you say that when your DD applies she will have already done her French equivalent of A levels, do you mean by that the bac - as obviously that is the equivalent of A levels in England/Wales or Scottish Highers ie university entrance level. Presumably this means that your DD will be in advanced class/years for her peer group?

Hi Dancersmum, yes DD will have done her Bac when she applies for Upper Schools in the UK.

Being born in the autumn and since the French school year goes from January to December, she started school a year earlier than she would have had we lived in the UK but then she was also accelerated at school so she's one year ahead of her peers in France and consequently 2 years in the UK.

That was one of the reasons she turned down her Tring offer 2 years ago as she would have had to go back 2 years academically... The problem will sort itself when she's 16...  :)

Edited by afab
  • Like 3

Your daughter would be one of the oldest in her year if at an English school afab. So she would take GCSE when she was 16 so presumably auditioning for ballet school when 16 unless the auditions are in September of that year!! You probably have gathered this by now!! I never knew the French school year was from January to December as in Australia. Does this mean exams are inNovember?

Much better month than June!! Well if can stay flu free!!

Morning, not really a question, but a statement. 

DD went to the Royal audition yesterday.  What a waste of time and money! 

Three men on the panel, is this 1950?!  No sign of the new Artistic Director who starts shortly.  Instead Mark Annear who has seen all of the students as MAs/SAs, Jay Jolley and the third year boys teacher Paul Lewis. 

It appeared that they hardly even looked at most of the students.  DD has finals for ENB, Elmhurst and Central, so not struggling, but I just thought it was really shabby on their part.