Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but does anyone know who the petite dancer on the right is, in this lovely photo by @Rob S?  I haven’t seen her prior to this run of Swan Lake and wondered if she’s a student.

F1F72394-AF68-4641-B172-3F1DA82DE231.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but does anyone know who the petite dancer on the right is, in this lovely photo by @Rob S?  I haven’t seen her prior to this run of Swan Lake and wondered if she’s a student.

Either a student or, like Grace Reid and Poppy Frankel, drafted in to bolster numbers for the corps just for Swan Lake.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I believe this is 3rd year RBS student Rebecca Myles Stewart.  She'd already been a busy snow flake

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yes it’s definitely Rebecca saw her on Wednesday at LBC event at RBS!! I believe she has some choreographic talent too…am hoping she will be at least one of the new RB joiners this year. 

Thanks Sim..re Louise. Mara knew her from Oman where Louise’s hubby Barry Hudson  was involved with the opera house there. 
I was going to leave a small tribute to Louise here on the Forum but not sure where to place it yet! 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Mary said:

I am here celebrating 50 years of going to ballet at ROH. Thinking of Linda.

What a great landmark, and what a performance with which to celebrate it!

• Like 5

One person I'd like to acknowledge is last night's conductor, Martin Gergiev. He was excellent throughout, deeply attentive to the dancers and allowed them to accentuate their dancing with the right musical flourishes. I can't recall if I have seen him conduct the RB orchestra before this run of Swan Lake, but I was really impressed and would certainly like to see him more often!

• Like 13

I got a last minute ticket to the 7pm show tomorrow and would love to meet up when any forum members... am new here so am not sure this is the right place to post this ☺️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well. Where to begin? What a spectacular night with Fumi and Vadim Sizzling with chemistry (with a capital letter S!!) Simply stunning - I was left speechless with my heart and soul (shattered into a million tiny pieces after Act IV) still very much by the lake!!  Absolutely no regrets picking up a ticket after last Saturday - would've had major fomo if I didn't attend last night😂

I've taken a particular liking to a phrase Zenaida Yanowsky used when she coached Fumi at a Swan Lake insight event 2020 (it's stuck with me every since I saw it on YouTube) - "as long as there is honesty, then we will read it". Last night was a genuine emotive performance from start to finish: I watched a true love story unfold as two lost souls, Odette and Siegfried, learnt to love and to give in to their emotions by the lake in Act II; a dazzling display of technique and flair in Act III with Vadim literally flying across the stage as an illustration of Siegfried's boundless joy of thinking that he had found his true love, and Fumi making the steps look so easy (honestly, if I were Siegfried I'd fall in love with her as well!); an inevitable last dance in Act IV as Siegfried anguished at his irrevocable mistake, but all guilt was in vain - it was heartbreaking, to say the least, to watch him realise what's done is done and there was no way of making amends. Fumi's mime as Odette to kill herself was really the dramatic apex of the night, watching through my binoculars I could so clearly see and understand Odette's resolute and Siegfried reacting in horror - so expressive, so moving😭

Sublime. It really, really will take a while (a long while!) to get my head out of this performance. But now, praying to the ballet gods... please PLEASE please have a cinema relay for fumi as odette/odile soon!!

p.s. what a cute red run!!!

Edited by Sleepy Giselle
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Excellent identification/detective work, @Rob S and @Silke H! Rebecca Stewart comes from Maryland, USA, and  has travelled quite a lot to dance! She took part in the famous annual Radio City Music Hall Christmas show (a notable participant was Tiler Peck) and also danced at the Paris Opera this year with several other RBS students in Ashton's Rhapsody as part of their International Gala of Dance Schools. (Much easier to find the video clips and articles once fellow members have given me the name. 😊)  How thrilling to have danced at ROH, Radio City Music Hall, and Palais Garnier while still a student!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

What a performance to be dedicated to Capybara so sad she couldn’t be there but also for a friend of mine strongly connected to the ballet world who died after losing a brave battle with cancer at just 58 years old on Tuesday …Louise Hudson …who has contributed so much to give amateur ballet dancers opportunities and joy to dance over the years.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hadn't seen her in years, but she always struck me as a very lovely person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Sometimes it’s difficult to want to see another performance of a ballet for a while when you have one of these experiences. 

For me the opposite is true ...last night's wonderful extravaganza, which we shared with our daughter, has got me looking forward very much now to the rest of this season, not least with Fumi and Vadim in The Winter's Tale. Plus 3 more Swan Lakes, and the Ashton...

• Like 4

Still thinking about last night's stunning Swan Lake. I was blown away. I greatly enjoy theatre and film but there is something about ballet performed at this sublime level of artistry that is so wonderful and emotionally fulfilling that I find it impossible to describe or give justice to. Heartfelt thanks to Fumi and Vadim and to the whole company for an evening which will be kept in my memory for a very long time. 

• Like 17

I meant another performance of the SAME ballet so in this instance Swan Lake..Richard LH!! 
I am going again next week too but to Winters Tale ….not Swan Lake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

How thrilling to have danced at ROH, Radio City Music Hall, and Palais Garnier while still a student

Yes, I think she is really quite special. I would be delighted to see her in the RB next season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tiptoesmama said:

So excited for tomorrow evening’s swan lake! Is anyone able to tell me roughly what time the Saturday evening performance finishes? Is it 3 hours including the intervals? 

The cast sheet states various times that total 175 minutes (sorry for the pedantry) but by the time the flowers have been handed out and the curtain calls taken it’s nearer 3 hours plus 5-10 minutes. I hope you enjoy it 😀

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I feel I have to write something about last night's performance, even though so much has been said already.  I have been watching Swan Lake since I was a child; in fact it was the first ballet I ever saw at about the age of 5 or 6.  I can honestly say that this was one of the best performances I have ever seen.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that Fumi Koneko is the best I have seen in the combined role of Odette/Odile.  It is normal for dancers to be slightly better at one.  She was perfect in both roles.  She didn't put a foot wrong from the moment  she first stepped on stage until the curtain came down at the end.  Just stunning, and I was totally gripped.  It isn't simply that she has a wonderful technique.  There have been many dancers over the years who have had that, including some of the current crop of ladies tackling the role.  But every single movement was a delight, ever step had purpose and meaning.  I notice from her biography that she seems to be one of the few RB dancers who had no training at all at the Royal Ballet School, but who cares when she is this perfect.  Muntagirov was the ideal partner.  He looks gorgeous, commands the stage even when he is doing nothing more than walking across it or even simply standing at the side, and when they dance together they are beautifully matched.  I am so glad I managed to see them together.

I don't think I can add anything further that hasn't already been said about the supporting cast, and I agree that the orchestra sounded wonderful last night.  A night to remember for years to come. 

I do have one or two minor quibbles, but they are really to do with the production itself.  It really looks so much better live on stage than in the cinema, so that issues such as the initial dancer looking nothing like the transformed Odette are non existent.  However, I am a bit puzzled by Von Rothbart clutching his stomach and vanishing in act 1.  Yes, he is about to be transformed, but does this happen to him every night?  If so, don't people wonder why they never see him after dark?  However, I must say that his outfit looked so much better in the flesh, so to speak.  . At the cinema I couldn't help thinking that the make up made him look a bit like Hannibal Lecter.  Also, this is more of a general question, but presumably Von Rothbart dies at the end?  If so, then surely the other swan maidens  should be released from their enchantment as well?  I know it would be impossible to choreograph something like this for so many swans, but it doesn't stop me thinking about it.  

And finally, with regard to Swan Lake in generally, I've always thought bringing on the cygnets at that particular point, with their jaunty music, jars after the exquisite Act 2 pdd. Each time I see it, I tend to wish those particular youngsters hadn't hatched! 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

I can add nothing to all these fine reviews other than to agree- yes, it was one of the best performances I have ever seen and a truly thrilling celebration of 50 years of ballet.

Vadim and Fumi danced like one person, with the perfect combination of technical excellence and expressive beauty. Can we wonder they are in demand internationally? We are so lucky to have them here and I hope they are given enough opportunities to do what they do best in classical ballets of the highest quality.

They were supported by a brilliant cast and orchestra, and the music was utterly soul-stirring so far as I am concerned - if that is a poor orchestra I would love to hear a good one.

Like Fonty I would be happy to say goodbye to the cygnets (and can it be much fun to dance given there is no room for expression and it's fiendishly hard work?) and there are a few other tweaks that need giving to this production in my view.

I had a thought as I wandered around in a dream today that when Vadim does finally stop dancing (may it be far off) he will make his own production of Swan Lake for one of our UK companies and it will be as beautiful and perfect as one of his arabesques or  landings. That would make the ideal next major anniversary of my ballet-going  (if the pension holds out.)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Wow, sublime, in tears more than once.

Have loved many individual performances of O/O and Siegfried down the years but can’t recall one where both were so perfectly matched in every possible way.

Thank you and congratulations to them both! As many have already said, how difficult for others to follow that. Can’t think of anything else to say, overwhelmed!

Instead, a few random thoughts. Enjoyed Valentino Zucchetti’s Benno, perhaps not as ‘flashy’ as, say, Alexander Campbell, but very clean and appropriate and no hint of upstaging the Prince. Lovely routines from the sisters, smoother and more polished than they sometimes can be. Or it may just be the angle from which I saw them. Different sections of a ballet seem to make more of an impression depending on where one is seated, I find, and this was I think the first time I’d been in the balcony.

Always interesting to see the relative status of Siegfried and Von Rothbart (what exactly is his role at court?) in act one. Matthew made Siegfried seem very much intimidated by the malevolent Rothbart - Vadim seemed more irritated in a surly sort of way! How does von R exert this seeming authority apart from through sheer scariness?

Lukas B-B is making quite a speciality of the villains! What presence he has and just just because of his height and looks.

Had forgotten how much more beautiful is the lake in the theatre than on the cinema stream.

Wasn’t too worried by the applause etc for the special pas de deux. In act two it helps disguise the change of mood to the twee cygnets and in act three Fumi stayed beautifully in character, Odile accepting the approbation as if it were her due which of course it was!

Sure it’s been asked before - the distinctive music to which Benno and the sisters dance near the start of act three, immediately after his solo - is it Tchaikovsky and has it always been there? Not sure I recall it from pre-Scarlett versions.

Many exciting and eyecatching dancers in the variations at the ball. This time it was the Spanish dance which held my attention most. Anyone know which was the male dancer third from left?

A combination of train times and lack of nerve has held me back from ever going to the stage door, much as one would like to show one’s gratitude beyond Instagram or a forum like this.  Almost plucked up my courage last night, particularly in the hope of asking Vadim if he would kindly sign his book, but in view of the special dedication of the evening felt it might have been a shade intrusive. Another time, perhaps. From all that I’ve read on here, what a wonderful friend and support to the dancers Linda must have been, and performances like this, not to mention the fascinating book and the contributions to this forum, are a tremendous legacy.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Jake If it’s any consolation I’ve had exactly the same dilemma re stage door post show - I’ve brought my copy of Vadim’s book with me all three Swan Lake’s I’ve seen him in this year, yet never quite plucked up the courage to go to the stage door and ask him to sign it! I always worry I’d be too star-struck and unable to articulate my gratitude for his spectacular performance 😅

• Like 10

As a ballet watcher who generally prefers classical ballet to modern ballet, my vote, if I have one, is to continue with the Petipa choreography and keep the cygnets.

I also like the idea of that ‘golden thread' which could, if need be, trace the history of any traditional piece of choreography, that is to say, every established classical company, will have dancers who have a direct link to earlier dancers, either by coaching or by having performed with, dancers who in turn will have a link to the original performers.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Lucy M said:

@Jake If it’s any consolation I’ve had exactly the same dilemma re stage door post show - I’ve brought my copy of Vadim’s book with me all three Swan Lake’s I’ve seen him in this year, yet never quite plucked up the courage to go to the stage door and ask him to sign it! I always worry I’d be too star-struck and unable to articulate my gratitude for his spectacular performance 😅

Vadim is a sweetheart and I am sure would be delighted to sign the book!  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Wow, sublime, in tears more than once.

Have loved many individual performances of O/O and Siegfried down the years but can’t recall one where both were so perfectly matched in every possible way.

Thank you and congratulations to them both! As many have already said, how difficult for others to follow that. Can’t think of anything else to say, overwhelmed!

Instead, a few random thoughts. Enjoyed Valentino Zucchetti’s Benno, perhaps not as ‘flashy’ as, say, Alexander Campbell, but very clean and appropriate and no hint of upstaging the Prince. Lovely routines from the sisters, smoother and more polished than they sometimes can be. Or it may just be the angle from which I saw them. Different sections of a ballet seem to make more of an impression depending on where one is seated, I find, and this was I think the first time I’d been in the balcony.

Always interesting to see the relative status of Siegfried and Von Rothbart (what exactly is his role at court?) in act one. Matthew made Siegfried seem very much intimidated by the malevolent Rothbart - Vadim seemed more irritated in a surly sort of way! How does von R exert this seeming authority apart from through sheer scariness?

Lukas B-B is making quite a speciality of the villains! What presence he has and just just because of his height and looks.

Had forgotten how much more beautiful is the lake in the theatre than on the cinema stream.

Wasn’t too worried by the applause etc for the special pas de deux. In act two it helps disguise the change of mood to the twee cygnets and in act three Fumi stayed beautifully in character, Odile accepting the approbation as if it were her due which of course it was!

Sure it’s been asked before - the distinctive music to which Benno and the sisters dance near the start of act three, immediately after his solo - is it Tchaikovsky and has it always been there? Not sure I recall it from pre-Scarlett versions.

Many exciting and eyecatching dancers in the variations at the ball. This time it was the Spanish dance which held my attention most. Anyone know which was the male dancer third from left?

A combination of train times and lack of nerve has held me back from ever going to the stage door, much as one would like to show one’s gratitude beyond Instagram or a forum like this.  Almost plucked up my courage last night, particularly in the hope of asking Vadim if he would kindly sign his book, but in view of the special dedication of the evening felt it might have been a shade intrusive. Another time, perhaps. From all that I’ve read on here, what a wonderful friend and support to the dancers Linda must have been, and performances like this, not to mention the fascinating book and the contributions to this forum, are a tremendous legacy.

Regarding the chap third from the left, I believe it was Brayden Galluci.  He is an Artist.  @Jake if you are referring to the tall dark-haired man!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You beat me to it Sim! 
Next time Lucy M go for it!! 
I know how you feel though! 
I felt the same about Nureyev ..took me years to finally get his autograph but can assure you Vadim is a much easier character than Nureyev! 
I’ve never got Vadim’s autograph but if I wanted it I’d go for it. 
I once bumped into him at the back of the Colisseum after a performance and was so close I couldn’t help but say how much I’d enjoyed his performance and he came right over with that boyish smile of his and thanked me ( for heavens sake!) for enjoying it and said how pleased he was I’d enjoyed it!!! 
Because of that exchange I feel I no longer need his autograph but do go for it if you want it! 
Just want to add he was very huggable …an old lady to a grandson sort of hug! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 13

Feeling blessed to have been at this unforgettable performance.  

Delighted to see Vadim’s soul released on stage alongside Fumi.  He danced with abandon and joy.  

She’s a risk taker which makes everything that bit more exciting, as the legendary Lynn Seymour would say.  

I love her thrill at being the sly Odile.   Agree with others that her Odette was heartbreakingly beautiful and sad.   The adagio of Act 2 was exquisite.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

I do have one or two minor quibbles, but they are really to do with the production itself.  It really looks so much better live on stage than in the cinema, so that issues such as the initial dancer looking nothing like the transformed Odette are non existent.  However, I am a bit puzzled by Von Rothbart clutching his stomach and vanishing in act 1.  Yes, he is about to be transformed, but does this happen to him every night?  If so, don't people wonder why they never see him after dark?

I still boggled a bit about the choice of Tsembenhoi as the double for Kaneko at the start last night. Someone will probably tell me I'm totally misinterpreting it but I thought Von Rothbart's transformation at the end of Act I was forced on him by Siegfried defying his orders which temporarily dented his power. I am assuming that Von Rothbart's true form is the monstrous bird one & he has to use his magical powers to make himself look human to infiltrate the court. When at normal power level he would therefore be able to choose which form he appears in & wouldn't necessarily have to change form each night. Although he evidently turns up at the lake on a fairly regular basis to keep the swans in fear of him. Maybe the court has an early-to-bed schedule when not holding balls so he can nip off without anyone missing him!

May I ask a few niche questions about last night's performance?

Is it my bad memory for choreography or did Zuchetti do some different choreography to other Bennos in both his solos?

Should it be all the same dancers as the swans in Act IV as in Act II? Because last night I didn't spot the student dancer discussed above, Rebecca Stewart, in Act II but I did in Act IV. I first spotted her in this season's Nutcrackers & since then I've found she's quite easy to spot as the smallest woman on stage so positioned towards the front of the corps. So I wondered if there are more swans in Act IV than in Act II or something?

Could anyone identify all 4 of the female dancers who danced the courtiers (I mean the couples in black & gold costumes, who I assume are courtiers) in Act III? I was able to identify all 4 of the men but I was only certain of one of the women, Madison Bailey.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lucy M said:

Do go and get it signed,  Lucy M! If you just show him the book I'm sure he'll be delighted you bought it and ask if you want it signed, if you're too awestruck to say anything. But I'm sure you'll find the words once you actually see him- it’s the thought of going up to the door that is probably the hardest! 

• Like 3