Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

I just saw on Instagram, from Sae Maeda, that she and Isabella Gasparini are Siegfried's sisters and Luca Acri Benno on opening night in this run of Swan Lake.

As a huge fan of this ballet, I am very excited to see some of the casts! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024
40 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've amended the title to include the company ... other companies do exist and perform Swan Lake.

Very true. Between now and August there are at least 5 different productions in England alone:

Royal Ballet

ENB My First Ballet: Swan Lake

ENB Swan Lake in the Round

The Acrobatic Swan Lake

State Ballet of Georgia Swan Lake. 

i also think there are other companies touring the UK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm so looking forward to this run - as a very, very recent ballet convert (the RB Mayerling in late 2022 was my first foray, and I've tried to see as much as possible since then) it will be the first time I've ever seen it! I had booked as soon as tickets went onsale for Francesca/Will and Fumi/Vadim, but have now picked up return/resale tickets for the first two Fumi/Will performances as well - it seemed rude not to, having booked to see both of them separately because of how much I enjoyed their partnership in various things last year, and I think it will be interesting to compare nuances - so the 15th will be my first time. 

• Like 10

Well I think you will very much enjoy it!!
I remember the first time I saw Swan Lake over 50 years ago now that one of the things that struck me (apart from the dancing itself) was just how much wonderful music there was I’d  never heard before as only ever a couple of tracks were played on the radio at the time. 
I suppose these days as there is so much video etc available this might not be such a surprise but hope you fall in love with at least one section you’ve never heard before! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I just saw on Instagram, from Sae Maeda, that she and Isabella Gasparini are Siegfried's sisters and Luca Acri Benno on opening night in this run of Swan Lake.

Has anyone seen anything else on Instagram to indicate any other Benno castings? I'm trying to decide between a couple of possible casts & knowing who the Bennos are going to be would help in deciding. (Instagram having kicked me off during the last run of SL, I can't check myself.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've amended the title to include the company ... other companies do exist and perform Swan Lake.

Sorry. In my excitement this morning I didn’t think to add RB 😳

• Like 2

TeobDubreill was featured rehearsing Benno in the Insight but “with a later cast”.

I’m really glad that Luca Acri has the opening night . He will certainly get me through the overlong sequences which Benno dances while Siegfried stands watching.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Someone- PeterS?said how good to see Zuchetti back.

Well he must be OK as he danced the Neapolitan with gusto today.

I recall Scarlett saying it was 'torture' to dance and he used to run off and be sick afterwards.

Oh dear..It's fabulous to watch though! 

• Like 3

So far for Benno we have Acri, Dixon, Dubreuil. Wonder if Benjamin Ella will be reprising it. Sissens was Benno previously but presumably he will be busy preparing for Siegfried so probably won't dance Benno this season? And our original Benno for this production, Alexander Campbell, retires on Friday dancing Des Grieux so that rules Alex out too. That's a nice part to have created. Lots of classical dancing.👍 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Well I would book for this rehearsal cast again..

So would I - although I am not sure I can make their dates!!!

What's pretty incredible is that from what KOH came out and said before the performance, I don't think that Sasaki/Sissens were originally set to dance the rehearsal, after all, they aren't due to dance for 6 weeks.

I know we don't comment on the dancing from a dress rehearsal but can't not say that given the above or otherwise, the black swan pdd was very exciting to watch.

I was also reminded how stunning the designs by John McFarlane are.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

So far for Benno we have Acri, Dixon, Dubreuil. Wonder if Benjamin Ella will be reprising it. Sissens was Benno previously but presumably he will be busy preparing for Siegfried so probably won't dance Benno this season? And our original Benno for this production, Alexander Campbell, retires on Friday dancing Des Grieux so that rules Alex out too. That's a nice part to have created. Lots of classical dancing.👍 

Likely that James Hay may be doing Benno too? 

• Like 2

I was assuming that Ben Ella would still be injured.  I haven't seen him on stage this year yet.  Mind you, it's such a long run that one would hope he'd be back for part of it at least.

I believe Joonhyuk Jun also performed Benno in the last run.

Hope to see him again. I also hoped Marco Masciari might get an opportunity to do it - I'd think it would naturally suit Taisuke Nakao or Daichi Ikarashi as well. Though I guess there are quite a few in the queue ahead of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary said:

Well I would book for this rehearsal cast again..

it was a stunning rehearsal today and I’m so pleased that I have already booked to see Sasaki/Sissens on 11 May.

• Like 10

It was...it might have been a rehearsal but it was exciting and moving.

The designs are indeed fabulous. The gowns..the candelabra..the staircase..and the lakeside moon and sky.. really gorgeous. 

As it was a rehearsal I shall keep any  reservations to myself except to wish again that Siegfried had tights that let us see his (beautiful) legs....grey on grey  hopeless. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I believe Joonhyuk Jun also performed Benno in the last run.

Yes, he did, very well. I thought his jumps particularly impressive.

I could see Nakao as a possibility, given he's a Soloist & has had some reasonable sized roles recently e.g. Bratfisch. Among the Soloists I would also like to see Donnelly, though I don't know if that's likely (Gaoler to Benno...!).

Another Benno from the last run who hasn't been mentioned yet is Richardson, who I thought managed to make more of the role acting-wise than most did.

Now what we need to know is when these confirmed/likely/possible Bennos will be performing!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, he did, very well. I thought his jumps particularly impressive.

Another Benno from the last run who hasn't been mentioned yet is Richardson, who I thought managed to make more of the role acting-wise than most did.

Now what we need to know is when all these confirmed & likely Bennos will be performing!

Kevin O’H came onstage before today’s rehearsal to say that the Sasaki/Sissens combination had been a late substitution (he didn’t say who for) and to ask for our forbearance as they are still not fully rehearsed as they debut in @6weeks.

As a result other cast members were shuffled too. 
In light of the above, I wouldn’t hold your breath for much advance casting information beyond what we already have. 

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

In light of the above, I wouldn’t hold your breath for much advance casting information beyond what we already have. 

Obviously there is quite a bit going on here. It's a long run of Swan Lake which is physically very demanding, so starting to understand why managing casts for triple bills alongside this could be rather stressful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alison said:

I was assuming that Ben Ella would still be injured.  I haven't seen him on stage this year yet.  Mind you, it's such a long run that one would hope he'd be back for part of it at least.

Ben Ella was in the Spanish in the Swan Lake rehearsal earlier today  

• Thanks 4