Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Oh dear....now I'm going to be looking out for this through my binocs tonight!  Maybe they will have sorted it out by then, but I kind of hope not!  😂

Also... in the last visual, while Odette was up there on the rock, you could see the rope holding her safely up there...

• Like 2

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Also... in the last visual, while Odette was up there on the rock, you could see the rope holding her safely up there...

I was hoping Odette goes bungee jumping after the curtain closes

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Beaker said:

@Lindsay yes, exactly that. As someone ‘coming back’ it’s really very striking the difference. 

Yes, you have an interesting perspective there.  In my view, a lot of credit for the change over the last decade must go to Gailene Stock for hugely raising the standards at RBS.  She brought through most of the current principal 'class' under her tenure, including Hayward, Bracewell, Ball, Naghdi, Clarke and O'Sullivan (plus Sissens on the principal-in-waiting side) who all attended White Lodge.  I think mixing that strong 'homegrown' pipeline with the introduction of technically brilliant dancers in the Upper School (Sambe, Magri, Acri, Richardson etc.) has borne considerable fruit for the company. 

It would be very interesting if one were now to take a similar break to imagine what the company might look like in 2035 (!), with the school having shifted the balance to a much larger proportion of international prizewinners...

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Yes, you have an interesting perspective there.  In my view, a lot of credit for the change over the last decade must go to Gailene Stock for hugely raising the standards at RBS.  She brought through most of the current principal 'class' under her tenure, including Hayward, Bracewell, Ball, Naghdi, Clarke and O'Sullivan (plus Sissens on the principal-in-waiting side) who all attended White Lodge.  I think mixing that strong 'homegrown' pipeline with the introduction of technically brilliant dancers in the Upper School (Sambe, Magri, Acri, Richardson etc.) has borne considerable fruit for the company. 

It would be very interesting if one were now to take a similar break to imagine what the company might look like in 2035 (!), with the school having shifted the balance to a much larger proportion of international prizewinners...

I agree wholeheartedly regarding how much this improvement started with Ms Stock and her vision for the school.  An absolute tragedy that we lost her so young.  But she has left a wonderful legacy....for now, at least.  Credit also to Kevin for concentrating on dancers from the school.  

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Sim said:

I agree wholeheartedly regarding how much this improvement started with Ms Stock and her vision for the school.  An absolute tragedy that we lost her so young.  But she has left a wonderful legacy....for now, at least.  Credit also to Kevin for concentrating on dancers from the school.  

Indeed.  I think he was very lucky to be able to do so.  Mason (and her predecessors) really did have to cast a wider net given the state of the school pre-Stock, and although that brought us glories in the form of Acosta, Zanowsky, Cojocaru, Kobborg, Rojo, Bonelli and (not least!) Nunez, the corps de ballet could look very disparate and ragged at times....

Edited by Lindsay
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Far fewer British Principals? Apart from Sissens, it doesn't feel as though there are many British dancers coming up through the ranks looking like possible potential Principals. Perhaps Leo Dixon, but other than him I'm struggling to think of many obvious contenders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd been wondering if there would be any new Von Rothbarts for this run, with Gartside still being out. The answer is yes. https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/swan-lake-by-liam-scarlett/cast-list/54702 I hope Braendsrod will be appearing with other casts as well, as I'm not seeing this one.

Exactly who I was hoping for. 

• Like 2

He stepped in at the last minute as the replacement Prince in the Nutcracker for Reece Clarke when I saw it and for someone else too the night before, I believe, so  he’s being given opportunities across the spectrum of roles.  

He was a very attractive Gaoler in Manon, though that isn’t the reaction I should have had to such a despicable character!  He does have a very commanding presence on stage and I always notice him with his height and incredible Nordic bone structure.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, OnePigeon said:

He was a very attractive Gaoler in Manon, though that isn’t the reaction I should have had to such a despicable character!

I had the same reaction, especially at the cinema with the close-ups, not quite so much when I saw him live on Tuesday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

Did you also miss the strange silhouette of Odette on top of the rock before she was supposed to be spot lit, she looked like she was having a conversation with someone on the ground  behind the rock

yes this was very distracting! I wondered if I just hadn’t noticed this before but I would have remembered it so definitely a lighting issue! 

• Like 1

I can’t add much to comments (but I will sorry). I wholeheartedly agree with everything fantastic that has been said about Marianela and Vadim. Absolute artists, at the top of their game, just flawless in both technique and character.

Vadim’s jumps and landings are weightless, it’s like he suspends gravity. And Marianela…well she’s so exciting and just so beautiful to watch her command the stage.

the company is so strong right now, Act 2 the swans were just brilliant in formation and the four cygnets were the most synchronised I’ve ever seen.

My small quibble would be I feel parts of Act 2 and 4 felt to be played at a slower tempo than I’d personally like (I’m thinking Nunez’s solo and parts of the swans coming on after that - not sure if this is the dancers’ preference or Kessel’s conducting or the decision or someone like O’Hare). 

Also I know this may be controversial but I find Act 1 a little boring in choreography. Act 3 is fantastic, all the national dances are fab and I love all the drama! (My other quibble is I’m not a big fan of all the black swans coming on stage for such a short period - it raises more questions than answers for me and it distracts me from the drama of the plot and Vadim going off desperately!). I’m also not a big fan of the ending (Prince carrying the princess swan back in human form - I’d prefer him left devastated alone or both dying) and maybe I’m imagining this but I feel a bit of dry ice for the opening of Act 2 would help with the drama as the stage floor looks quite bare. And if I’m being really picky I didn’t love the bows after the Act 2 pas de deux - they were incredibly well deserved but it broke the flow and spell of the plot for me. Hypocritically though I had no issue with them in Act 3 but I feel it’s perhaps because it’s a showier piece and in the plot they’re dancing to a crowd anyway. (I know I’m being super picky here though.) 

Anyway I’m so glad I saw it, I had booked for Nunez last run but due to her illness I missed out so this certainly lived up to and exceeded expectations. I feel both Marianela and Vadim keep really pushing themselves to improve and it’s just so wonderful to see them both dance - they do have a great partnership also, great dance chemistry. Fantastic appreciation and respect for them both. How lucky we are to have them both in London/the Uk and the company really is on top form all round at every level. 

• Like 15

8 hours ago, JNC said:

My small quibble would be I feel parts of Act 2 and 4 felt to be played at a slower tempo than I’d personally like (I’m thinking Nunez’s solo and parts of the swans coming on after that - not sure if this is the dancers’ preference or Kessel’s conducting or the decision or someone like O’Hare). 

Completely agree- Was it this slow last night?

8 hours ago, JNC said:

I didn’t love the bows after the Act 2 pas de deux - they were incredibly well deserved but it broke the flow and spell of the plot for me. Hypocritically though I had no issue with them in Act 3 but I feel it’s perhaps because it’s a showier piece and in the plot they’re dancing to a crowd anyway. (I know I’m being super picky here though.) 

Completely agree again:  fine in Black Swan for reasons you say- would wish Act 2 could be kept under a spell, but it rarely is these days.

Looking forward to hearing  about last night...

• Like 3

Very disappointed to see nothing at all still about last nights performance with Magri and Corrales. 
Now I know Nunez and Muntagirov can be in a league of their own sometimes but was it that uninspiring 

last night 🫣🤔

Or was everybody at the Wells? 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Very disappointed to see nothing at all still about last nights performance with Magri and Corrales. 
Now I know Nunez and Muntagirov can be in a league of their own sometimes but was it that uninspiring 

last night 🫣🤔

I was just about to ask: Anybody?

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

last night 🫣🤔

I don't do reviews but I'll say Cesar got a lovely response from the audience when he came on, so good to see him back and danced very well with Mayara...fantastic fouettes, Lukas BB had an excellent debut, Joonhyuk Jun is an amazing Benno....and there was no Odette silhouette at the end!..although the shadow of platform was quite visible behind the rock during act 2 (and some of 4 I think)  

• Like 11

OK, starter for 10.

I really enjoyed last night's performance, as much as for the relief of seeing CC back onstage as anything else.  It is a good ballet for him to make his return as technically it is not demanding for the man.  Understandably, I felt that he was a bit tentative and was holding back.  He was certainly not the powerhouse I have come to know and love, but I could see it lurking beneath the surface and I am sure it will be back.  His dark and broody looks complemented the internal misery of Siegfried being forced into marriage and having to assume the role of king.  

Speaking of dark and broody....as per the above, wow, what a debut from Lukas as Von Rothbart.  He was menacing but enticing, evil but sexy, elegant but scuzzy.  He walked the walk, indeed almost glided across the floor.  Wonderful use of his eyes and his tall presence onstage.  I found it a struggle to take my binoculars away from him.  As I said above, I would have happily tripped over to the dark side last night...

I liked Mayara's swan.  I think she is naturally more of an Odile than an Odette, but having said that I found that although her dancing was wonderful in both roles she wasn't evil or duplicitous enough as Odile.  She was a smiling seductress which I totally get, but I like my Odiles to show much more malice aforethought.  However, that's just my own opinion.  The fouettes were marvellous and she got a good cheer, well deserved.  Her Odette was deeply felt and her expressive face left no doubt as to how she was feeling.

Although Cesar and Mayara danced well together, I didn't feel a deep chemistry there.  Maybe in their next performance they will relax a bit more and that will come.

Joon-Hyuk Jun was a wonderful Benno.  It was this role last time out that made me notice him, and this time he was even better.  His jumps are so high, his landings so soft, his turns pinpoint perfect...but this time, added to all that, he really made something of the character.  Big bravo, Benno!

The corps delivered beauty throughout:  gorgeous arms and expressive heads, perfect synchronisation and a very moving performance from them.  The night before International Women's' Day they really imparted the notion of a gang of girls protecting each other.  Lovely.

I also found much of the music played too slowly for my liking, but maybe it's the dancers' liking so there we are.  

Disappointingly, there were no weird shadows in the sky to look at in the final moments!  I do love the designs of all the acts, and the lighting is the correct shade of moonlight and moody in the lake scenes.  

Having danced the lead role the night before, it was great to see Nela in the audience supporting her colleagues.

So a very good start to my upcoming visits to the lake.  Welcome back, Cesar.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Well it does look like quite a few regular Forum writers were up at the Wells yesterday for NYCB first night. 
But just hope somebody saw this. 
Lovely pics as always RobS …at least some record it actually happened lol! 

• Like 1

Thanks for revue Sim!!!! 🙂
Yes I would expect that bit of subdued ness from Cesar on his initial return….. I caught that last time but then when I saw him down the line he was a different dancer! 

In this case don’t mention the second performance of SL as most of us won’t be able to see it ….this was the performance (on 21st March) that I would have chosen to go to if it had been possible 😬

It’s great to see we obviously have a new Von Rothbart star!!!   Hope I get to see both Gary and Lukas in Swan Lakes am going to. 

• Like 2

My highlights of last night:

- Lukas BB as von Rothbart. I thought he was even more evil in his human form than winged character, his slow and purposeful steps had such a powerful impact.  A fantastic von Rothbart debut in my opinion.

- Sae Maeda's sister.  I always love seeing Sae on stage and this season she'll dance both sister roles which shows how versatile she is.

- The princesses (Katharina Nikelski, Charlotte Tonkinson, Isabella Gasparini, Yu Hang)

- The Cygnet, who were so incredibly in sync last night.  Having learned the cygnets in ballet class recently I am even more in awe of the RB ladies mastering the synchronicity and speed whilst dancing so tightly together.

Edited by Silke H
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Mayara was tremendous.  Especially when solo … beautifully controlled exemplary technique during her soulful Odette.  Exciting Odile with hugely complicated fouetté sequence including attitude turns. Lovely performance.  I felt she held the show together … considering she’s not been a principal for that long this was particularly admirable. 

Cesar was underpowered … clearly not jumping to be careful on his return.  In some he barely got off the floor and the entrelace were petit allegro.  It was so against his actual character.  I kept  expecting him to think “right that’s enough of being careful let’s show what I can really do”.  But he did not.  So it was somewhat disappointing for audience that know his previous abilities.   I hope subsequent performances will be at better levels.  (and this may be why Rhapsody casting is still unknown)

Anyone unfamiliar with Cesar would have thought it was an elegant (yes really) refined performance.  

I was worried about lifts as I believe there has been a back problem.  Those were all well done and held.  Bravo.  However his partnering in the white acts had her off balance too often limiting the execution of high swan attitude lines. 

This will be a great partnership in time even though he is slightly too short for her when she’s on pointe. They connect well.  Though I agree with earlier comments that chemistry was not fully what I’d expected.  No doubt due to first night and long awaited return of Cesar. 

Wonderful suspended airtime with super height from Jun on his entrelace.  And beautifully soft and silent landings.  He did a decent job with the role interpretation too.   

I heard Lukas as Von Rothbart was a late cast change so I wonder how much rehearsal he’s had.  Brave man.  He did well.  I’m sure subsequent shows will be even better.  The juxtaposition of his beauty and stage presence with yet another evil character is an utter delight!   And really good lifts with Mayara, something the older character artists don’t quite manage for me.  

A few of the supporting soloists that were noticeable … both sister princesses Leticia Dias and Sae Maeda, Isobel Lubach’s big swan, Yu Hang’s potential bride.  

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Sim said:

I also found much of the music played too slowly for my liking, but maybe it's the dancers' liking so there we are.  

my inexpert opinion was in parts of Odille’s act 2 solo danced by Nunez there were points were I felt she was holding herself back from going a bit faster because she was trying to stick to the music, I think in one of the slower turns it looked to me like she almost physically stopped herself from naturally taking the next step and having to pause and drag the movement out. 

It would be a pure assumption as I would like to hope that Kessels and the dancers have a conversation about this in advance or there is an agreed set tempo for all but I feel dancers would prefer this faster as it would be easier/flow better. 

Not the same ballet I recall once Naghdi saying something about one of the shade variations in Bayadere being trickier than it looked because it’s so slow so your technique is really tested. 

My guess would therefore be it would be “easier” and more natural for dancers to take this at a bit of a faster pace and it also helps build better flow and pacing in the plot as well. 

Didn’t see last night’s performance but glad Cesar has made a return to the stage. I can’t speak to chemistry in these particular roles but I remember thinking Magri and Corrales worked really well together in Coppelia many years ago…

Edited by JNC
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, JNC said:

Didn’t see last night’s performance but glad Cesar has made a return to the stage. I can’t speak to chemistry in these particular roles but I remember thinking Magri and Corrales worked really well together in Coppelia many years ago…

I certainly wish they would bring that back as I haven’t seen it live! 

I’m glad Cesar is back and it makes sense that he would be playing things more safe. I was just watching Like Water for Chocolate again on ROH Stream and was reminded of his immense exuberance and power on the stage. I wish him luck, it’s horribly unfair to be injured so young as well. 

I guess it’s up in the air on whether he or Steven McRae will do Rhapsody… just glad I got to see them both perform it in 2022. What I really want is the Dream casting as I’ve never seen it live before!

• Like 6

I wasn't there last night but some colleagues were.  They loved the production (3/4 hadn't seen the Liam Scarlett version before) and thought the swan corps was sensational.  Much love for Benno and Von Rothart and the national dances.  Some disappointment with Cesar and the partnership with Mayara, I'm afraid.  Probably the same issues as above although it was really that they 'looked awkward as a couple when they danced together' that they described.  But overall a good evening was had!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’d love to see more of Cesar partnered with Francesca Hayward they were terrific together in R&J. And very good together in Rhapsody too. 

• Like 5