Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

6 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I thought this tempo was a deliberate choice - Kessells watched her very closely - because it shows off Nunez' phenomenal control and balance, her ability to 'float' in transitional movements and, interpretively, was conveying the labour of Odette's anguished imprisonment in swan form.  Of course, this pace is a lot harder for less technically gifted dancers to follow.

Yes, this was what I saw as well, you could see he was watching her so closely and she always was in complete control of the pace and her balance

• Like 4

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just taken an extract from Broadwayworld.com's review...

I assume the writer frequents these forums...

Prior to opening night, there were murmurings over Principals Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov being once again selected for opening night. The Royal Ballet possesses endless world class dancers who can do an exemplary job with the leading roles, why can’t others get a look in? It’s safe to say such doubts were swiftly appeased with the heartbreaking, exhilarating and technically flawless display the pair put on for the first night crowd. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

This rather assumes that other casts will not be equally as good or better!!!!

Not really, no, it just says that they delivered an opening night of a worthy (and otherworldly) standard

• Like 6

18 hours ago, FionaM said:

Matthew Ball is 5’10” and that is a reliable statistic as he’s a model and will have been measured.

From this photo Cesar looks to be 2 inches shorter.  

Whatever… there is no way he is 5’11.  

https://www.gettyimages.fi/detail/uutiskuva/james-frecknall-marcelino-sambe-francesca-hayward-cesar-uutiskuva/1192961472

18 hours ago, LinMM said:

I would have said between  5ft 9in and 10ins about an inch or so taller than myself! 
I suppose Cesar could have been part joking in the interview …he’s gone from being smaller than average height to an acceptable average height for males …like  5ft 11 ins lol. 

I think Cesar is often assumed to be "small and compact" because early in his career he excelled in the virtuoso jumping and turning roles that more compact dancers often excel at, and he was often paired up with Alina Cojocaru (Nutcracker, Corsaire) who is very petite. 

But at RB he has been paired with Nunez  (as Gamzatti) and Osipova in Bayadere, Kaneko in Don Quixote (although he was injured before they danced together on stage) and Hamilton in the Bluebird pas de deux in Sleeping Beauty, and these four ballerinas are at least medium height and  usually dance with tall partners at RB.

5 ft 11 inch is actually not that tall nowadays for a danseur with many ballerinas being taller and with longer feet  who have that elongated line that directors and audiences love (although I far prefer a dancer with less photogenic looks who can do complex and fast choreography beautifully and has the artistry compared to someone with perfect looks but more limited technique and artistry).

If you look at lady emily's video on the Alexander Campbell farewell thread, Corrales comes along with his rose behind Hirano and Ball who are both tall and you can see Cesar is fairly close to their height. Sambe, McRae and Campbell are in the video for comparison (although Campbell's footwear for dancing the Act 3 pas de deux will have no heel or thick sole compared to a man's outdoor shoe so it makes him look "shorter"). Most of the ladies coming along with a rose are wearing high heels.

The other problem with event photographs is that the women are often in high heels and the taller men are sometimes encouraged to bend down a bit so that their heads don't get cropped off or just so the photo composition looks nicer, so they might appear shorter than they really are. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Silke H said:

Ball and Hirano are taller than Campbell, Corrales about same height as Campbell

image.thumb.jpeg.bf9c9674a9d69973c0896fd1f3eecde1.jpeg

Trying to recognise some of the newer dancers....does anyone know who are the three ladies behind in this picture, from left to right?

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Trying to recognise some of the newer dancers....does anyone know who are the three ladies behind in this picture, from left to right?

Grace Reid, Isabella Shaker and Julie Ann Joyner 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On the subject of dancers' heights, there was, and might still be, a list of RB dancers and their heights on a pinboard in the wardrobe department, visible through the furthest window on the public terrace.  Nonchalantly glance through the window in the evening when the room is empty and see if it's still there.

• Like 2

On 08/03/2024 at 17:25, FionaM said:

Matthew Ball is 5’10” and that is a reliable statistic as he’s a model and will have been measured.

I was curious about this as I've seen him wandering around the building and he seems pretty much my height. Matthew says he's taller, here - 5' 11 1/2:

How tall are you, Matthew? I'll just let you know why I am asking that" I add, nearly laughing.

„In centimeters, I am 182cm.! Why?" Now he is curious. I can see that.

https://www.attitude-devant.com/blog/2022/10/24/matthew-ball-principal-the-royal-ballet-an-interview-part-2

I don't know anything about technique in ballet but, in sport, an inch and a half is significant.

Edited by postie
tidying up
  • Like 1

I met Matthew coming out of a studio a couple of times when doing Benn Gartside's ballet class at RB and he does seem really tall. I would say 5'11 is more accurate than 5'10.

Although he's so good looking it's a bit distracting so I may be off. I'm not surprised he's a model, he's quite stunning.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

Someone who would definitely know has confirmed to me that Matty Ball is 5'11 1/2" tall.  So, five foot eleven and a half inches.

which matches the stated 182 cm  ☺️

• Like 2

Apologies I seem to have found incorrect data on Matthew Ball’s height (or the wrong Matthew Ball more likely!)

I am corrected … the RB principal is 182cm which is 6 foot.  

I would be grateful if @BalletcoForum Moderators could add a comment to that effect on my original comment.  Or remove it completely.   I don’t wish to mislead.  Thank you

• Like 1

William Bracewell has posted a lovely video of Fumi Kaneko rehearsing Odette/Odile on his Instagram account. I have to say, having only seen her in a rehearsal video with Bonelli, that she looks amazing and I can't wait to see Fumi dance these roles (I've seen William Bracewell dance Siegfried many times and know already that I will love him in this role). I am so excited to see Fumi's interpretation of the white and black swans - to see her dancing in a partnership I adore is something I didn't think I'd see this run - so I am feeling very, very fortunate. Fingers crossed all goes to plan tonight and that there are no travel issues! 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

William Bracewell has posted a lovely video of Fumi Kaneko rehearsing Odette/Odile on his Instagram account. I have to say, having only seen her in a rehearsal video with Bonelli, that she looks amazing and I can't wait to see Fumi dance these roles (I've seen William Bracewell dance Siegfried many times and know already that I will love him in this role). I am so excited to see Fumi's interpretation of the white and black swans - to see her dancing in a partnership I adore is something I didn't think I'd see this run - so I am feeling very, very fortunate. Fingers crossed all goes to plan tonight and that there are no travel issues! 

She was incredible in the last run.  Those Odile fouettes!  Those beautiful arms as Odette!  Sigh.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sim said:

She was incredible in the last run.  Those Odile fouettes!  Those beautiful arms as Odette!  Sigh.  

If they're anything like the 'fanouettes' from Don Q - I know I'm in for a treat! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I was lucky to see her only public performance (with Federico Bonelli) in the last run and all of it was brilliant- her Odette, her Odile, all of it. I remember it being a very complete performance and surprisingly for a debut, no weak points, and yet it felt very her- it didn't feel like she had learnt a well drilled interpretation from someone else. To me it was the best  performance I'd ever seen her give (obviously I haven't seen every single performance). When she subsequently danced the Act 2 pas de deux at the Ukraine charity gala a few hours after finishing the full length ballet (in the Saturday schools matinee) with William Bracewell, I wondered if there would be any signs of physical or mental fatigue from either of them but nope, they were just beautiful. Should be a wonderful performance- enjoy!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I was lucky to see her only public performance (with Federico Bonelli) in the last run and all of it was brilliant- her Odette, her Odile, all of it. I remember it being a very complete performance and surprisingly for a debut, no weak points, and yet it felt very her- it didn't feel like she had learnt a well drilled interpretation from someone else. To me it was the best  performance I'd ever seen her give (obviously I haven't seen every single performance). When she subsequently danced the Act 2 pas de deux at the Ukraine charity gala a few hours after finishing the full length ballet (in the Saturday schools matinee) with William Bracewell, I wondered if there would be any signs of physical or mental fatigue from either of them but nope, they were just beautiful. Should be a wonderful performance- enjoy!

Her Odetta/Odilia will definitely be amazing.  I'm already looking forward to seeing her in partnership with Vadim in May in London and then in June in Rome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

Apparently, I have train issues on my line. So, not stressful at all! 😱

I'm crossing fingers, toes and everything for you to get there in good time, Linnzi5  🍀 🍀 <-- (four leaf clovers)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Tonight's cast list has finally appeared. Leo Dixon's Benno debut, I think? 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/swan-lake-by-liam-scarlett/cast-list/54701

Yay! Leo Dixon! Am very excited to see his Benno!

57 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I'm crossing fingers, toes and everything for you to get there in good time, Linnzi5  🍀 🍀 <-- (four leaf clovers)

I made it! Phew! Thank you! ☺️

50 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Excellent cast! Looking forward to the  first SL of the run for me...

Me too! 

34 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Shout out to Leo Dixon who dances his debut as Benno tonight. (15th March)

Yes! I really like him, so this is great casting for me! 

• Like 8