Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mari said:

I’m sorry, I was honestly trying to honor the performers by giving them a standing ovation. I think THEY and their arot are the ones we should think about and honor. Especially considering that rows before were also doing so… 

No need to apologize.  If you loved the performance, you should let the performers know and stand and applaud to show your gratitude for their wonderful work. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mari said:

I’m sorry, I was honestly trying to honor the performers by giving them a standing ovation. I think THEY and their arot are the ones we should think about and honor. Especially considering that rows before were also doing so… 

I agree - and can I point out the entirety of the stalls were on their feet during the curtain calls. I don't think mari should have to ruin her own enjoyment for one much outnumbered outlier, regardless of the reason they did not (or could not) join in. 

But please, let's focus on the sublime performances!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, mari said:

It was a great performance and I’m pretty sure that everyone in the audience thought so and wanted to share in the occasion. The trouble is, if people stand at the front, those at the back can’t see and share …

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I am not sure I will have the energy for a full review, it’s been a particularly tough week for a number of reasons including a poorly pup who has been getting me up during the night… I do however, want to leave a brief thought on the performance this evening. It had been rather built up having read all of the reviews from their last performance, so I was desperately hoping I would be in tune with what has been said.

Previously, it’s a very specific quality to Odette which usually captures my interest. For the first time in a long time, there was something incredibly different but pleasing about Fumi’s Odette. Every millisecond of the music was used to draw out every single beautiful, fragile movement and her act 1 mime seemed remarkably unhurried but perfectly paced which I don’t recall seeing in recent years. Every ounce of body language conveyed her fragility and emotional state. 
Where Odette was like liquid silk, Odile was at the other end of the scale in brittle, sharp, calculated movements. Act 3 fouettés could have been performed in her sleep and these weren’t just danced or something she got through, they all felt part and parcel of evil Odile’s character.

Vadim was sublime, perfection and this is a ballet where the 2 dancers really connect.

It was lovely to see the insights-rehearsed swan duo of Julia Roscoe and Nadia Mullova Barley’s finished product. So glad to see Valentino Zuchetti back as Benno. Annette Buvoli is now one of my favourites in the Spanish dance- she has such a gorgeous elegance. Particularly delighted to see a new name dancing the Neapolitan - Ella Newton Severgnini. Seemingly in her first year as a first artist so an incredible opportunity with a dance which requires such stamina. 
Looking forward to my remaining Swan Lake late June but the cast will have a lot to live up to. 

Edited by Sim
Corrected spelling of a dancer’s name.
  • Like 19

Kaneko and Muntagirov - just incredible. Awesome, spectacular, incredible. Technique and characterisation seamlessly blended so that there were no joins - just brilliance. And the sheer beauty of it! How unfathomable that such beauty can be created and displayed. But also - the profound truth behind Odette/Odile, so magnificently brought to life by Fumi Kaneko. The same body, the same heart, the same mind - but with a flick of the switch goodness becomes evil. It takes so little for evil to take over. Those long, yearning arms can reach for good or grasp at evil. And smiles can evidence true love or terrible malevolence. Her fouettés were positively terrifying - fast, faster, fastest. Relentless, driven and merciless. And Muntagirov's own beauty and purity too easily deceived, and in matching Odile's efforts he loses both himself and Odette. 

The applause throughout was torrential - pouring down from the rear Amphi towards the stage. So well deserved by these amazing artists, and also by the wonderful corps de ballet who work so hard and create such magic.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

A quick note on standing ovations - often over used post Covid and outside of ROH it’s rare not to see these happen as a matter of course. Tonight at ROH was very special, an engaged (and very well behaved in my opinion from stalls circle standing) really saw this and a standing ovation was completely appropriate. 

Someone in row B told off row A who were standing and blocking the view, but this was because they were planning to leave, so not remotely attempting to further celebrate the performance. That telling off was a bit more appropriate!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Kaneko and Muntagirov - just incredible. Awesome, spectacular, incredible. Technique and characterisation seamlessly blended so that there were no joins - just brilliance. And the sheer beauty of it! How unfathomable that such beauty can be created and displayed. But also - the profound truth behind Odette/Odile, so magnificently brought to life by Fumi Kaneko. The same body, the same heart, the same mind - but with a flick of the switch goodness becomes evil. It takes so little for evil to take over. Those long, yearning arms can reach for good or grasp at evil. And smiles can evidence true love or terrible malevolence. Her fouettés were positively terrifying - fast, faster, fastest. Relentless, driven and merciless. And Muntagirov's own beauty and purity too easily deceived, and in matching Odile's efforts he loses both himself and Odette. 

The applause throughout was torrential - pouring down from the rear Amphi towards the stage. So well deserved by these amazing artists, and also by the wonderful corps de ballet who work so hard and create such magic.

So beautifully put, BridieM.  You encapsulated this amazing performance perfectly.  ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There was a moment when Fumi was Odile right at the end that I suddenly saw her as wicked Carabosse from Sleeping Beauty!! 

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

But also - the profound truth behind Odette/Odile, so magnificently brought to life by Fumi Kaneko. The same body, the same heart, the same mind - but with a flick of the switch goodness becomes evil. It takes so little for evil to take over. Those long, yearning arms can reach for good or grasp at evil. And smiles can evidence true love or terrible malevolence. Her fouettés were positively terrifying - fast, faster, fastest.

What an elocuent overview for those who were not able to attend the performance! And I agree whith you about Fumi's arms and upper body movement, and facial expressions. I found out that all these skills make me be in complete awe every time I watch her.

• Like 3

How am I supposed to sleep after that...?

I thought I'd have to miss this performance because I had a standing ticket and I'm not up to standing for that long at the moment. "It's fine," I told myself. "You've seen them both separately in this run, who needs another Swan Lake so soon anyway?" But then I read the reports on this thread about the first Kaneko/Muntagirov show and the fomo kicked in: secured a seat just in time.

I'm so happy I managed it!! Her Odette was divine, so fragile and full of sorrow and yearning. But I just love malevolent Fumi as Odile, so sultry. Her debut with Federico Bonelli was sizzling, her partnership with William Bracewell was/is gorgeous, and I thought tonight was sensational. 

It was such a joy to sit back and luxuriate in the Act III pdd with no fear that she and the exquisite Vadim wouldn't fly through it. Just dazzling. I love how they both seem to find so much time and space in the music when they move - Vadim especially in that beautiful solo as Act I becomes Act II, and as his Act III variation ended, in total harmony with the conductor. 

I really hope Kaneko gets filmed as Odette/Odile one day, and that it doesn't count against her that her current partners have had the cinema/streaming treatment already.

Heaven. 

(Also: cute kiss! Ha. Made me forget that I was peeved at the woman in front who took a sneaky photo of the corps in Act IV - I was close enough to be distracted by the screen light before she dimmed it, too far away to do anything about it. Thanks both!)

• Like 17

What an evening that was! Simply sublime. So pleased I managed to snag a last-minute ticket. I must admit I didn't get much sleep last night as I was on such a high following the performance! Fumi was just divine (those arms!!), and her partnership with Vadim was absolutely spectacular. I won't say anymore as others have already summarised my thoughts and feelings perfectly, but just WOW.

That was my fourth and final Swan Lake and it was definitely a case of saving the best until last. And the kiss during the red run! Just lovely. Feeling very happy (albeit tired!) this morning.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, HelenHelen said:

I really hope Kaneko gets filmed as Odette/Odile one day, and that it doesn't count against her that her current partners have had the cinema/streaming treatment already.

I very much agree with this! Kaneko was my surprising favourite Odile in the 2022 run.

She was head and shoulders above everyone else I saw in this run. I would dearly love her interpretation to be filmed with one of her current partners. The RB has track record of trying to record dancers in the same role twice (Cuthbertson as Hermione and Aurora spring to mind - although the second recording of the latter was derailed by injury) so I hope it works out!

• Like 3

Many of the dancers are posting a lovely backstage pic of the cast and Kevin O'Hare with special guest Harry Styles 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Many of the dancers are posting a lovely backstage pic of the cast and Kevin O'Hare with special guest Harry Styles 🙂

Ah I was wondering who that was!  

• Like 3

What an absolutely fabulous evening and what a way for me to celebrate my birthday! I’ve been trying to write a review but really I can only echo what others have said far more eloquently than I could manage.  Everything about last night was sublime and it was truly a night to treasure and one that will live in the memory for a long time to come.

• Like 12

I asked this question upthread, but unsurprisingly I think it has been buried amongst the rave reviews! 😁 What form did the dedication to Linda take, given that it was on the cast list on Saturday?

Just now, Balletfanp said:

I asked this question upthread, but unsurprisingly I think it has been buried amongst the rave reviews! 😁 What form did the dedication to Linda take, given that it was on the cast list on Saturday?

From the cast sheet:

THIS PERFORMANCE OF SWAN LAKE WITH VADIM MUNTAGIROV AND FUMI KANEKO IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF LINDA GAINSBURY, LONG-TIME SUPPORTER AND CHAMPION OF THE ROYAL BALLET AND ITS DANCERS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Not much I think I can add to what everyone else said about last night's amazing performance.  I think Odette/Odile may be Fumi's signature role - it suits her down to the ground.  She was already astonishingly impressive and confident on her debut with Bonelli a couple of years ago (particularly as Odile, since I think most of us had already guessed that she would be beautiful in the white acts) but her technique has gone from strength to strength since then and having a partner who can match her on the technical feats really adds to it.  No offence meant to Bonelli, who was one of my favourites and an excellent partner, but I think even he wouldn't disagree that Vadim and Petipa have a particularly 'special relationship'.

• Like 13

I won't harp on about the two leads last night because I cannot add more to what I and others have already said.  Well, just two words:  ballet heaven.  Two more words:  ballet nirvana.  OK, I'm done with regard to the glories that are Fumi and Vadim.

I just wanted say how wonderful the whole cast was.  Lukas BB as Von Rothbart....shudder.  Such a dark, brooding and commanding presence.  My daughter and I were already imagining him as Onegin...I don't suppose he will get cast next season but if he did I would be thrilled.  

The corps de ballet was just as gorgeous as ever.  They must be getting tired now, but you would never know.  I loved Julia Roscoe and Nadia Mullova-Barley as the Big Swans.  They worked very much in sync with each other and flowed beautifully together.  Special shout out to Charlotte Tonkinson who was in every act, either as one of Siegfried's sisters or as a cygnet.  

Even the orchestra sounded good to my untrained ear last night.  

I would like to thank the whole company, but especially Fumi and Vadim, for cheering me up at a time when I really needed it.  They each told their story from start to finish, and invited us to join them on their journey.  For that, I thank them both.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

That's not the first time he's been at the opera house this season: Melissa Hamilton posted a photo with him to her Insta stories fairly recently, and she was in rehearsal clothes so I wondered if there might be a Harry/RB collaboration in the pipeline. But perhaps he's just a fan and actually has some free time to see things.

I also think others have expressed all the wonderful things about last nights performance regarding Fumi and Vadim. There were moments in Fumi’s portrayal of Odette where you almost forgot it was a human down there exuding all this Beauty of movement. 
Many years ago I had an illuminating experience with Makarova in this ballet …so a night still not forgotten….and now Fumi is up there with the Goddesses of Swan Lake! So lovely to read younger people here saying they couldn’t sleep after that and will never forget this performance…you won’t!! 
Sometimes it’s difficult to want to see another performance of a ballet for a while when you have one of these experiences. 
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dancer seem to relish the dreaded fouettés in Odiles role as Fumi did …no loss of technique or energy towards the end here ….not sure I’d liked to have been the conductor seeing this Force potentially coming straight at me! 
Poor Siegfried had no chance against this enchantress. 
I felt sorry for all the princesses tonight vying for Siegfrieds hand ( all beautifully danced) who wouldn’t want to “marry”  him with the perfection and effortlessness of his classical style …no other Prince would do. 

I’ve mentioned in another post how completely involving the ending was and even though it’s not my favourite ending to the ballet I did feel a strong pang for Siegfried when that wonderful 

music started up as he “came to” …he’s now going to realise she has gone forever…you felt his loss acutely too 

Just a little mention for Ella Newton Severgnini in the Neopolitan first time I’ve seen her in a role of any sort so gave her a little cheer…just a touch of the Lesley Collier about her. 

What a performance to be dedicated to Capybara so sad she couldn’t be there but also for a friend of mine strongly connected to the ballet world who died after losing a brave battle with cancer at just 58 years old on Tuesday …Louise Hudson …who has contributed so much to give amateur ballet dancers opportunities and joy to dance over the years. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

What a performance to be dedicated to Capybara so sad she couldn’t be there but also for a friend of mine strongly connected to the ballet world who died after losing a brave battle with cancer at just 58 years old on Tuesday …Louise Hudson …who has contributed so much to give amateur ballet dancers opportunities and joy to dance over the years. 

I saw Mara's posts about Louise's passing.  So sad.  My condolences to you on the loss of your friend, Lin.

• Thanks 2