Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

A fabulous double Swan Lake on Saturday.

I very much enjoyed Sarah Lamb’s matinee and am delighted to have seen her final performance this run. There was palpable tension in the theatre when Lamb slipped in Act 2. I’d always assumed Odette’s hops across the stage partnered by Siegfried were relatively innocuous. Quite unexpected but Lamb quickly recovered her poise and if anything the slip emphasised Odette’s vulnerability and Siegfried’s affection, Reece Clarke ever more attentive during the rest of the performance. Sarah Lamb came out all guns blazing for Act 3, a very impressive Odile, and I found Act 4 particularly affecting. A rapturous reception for all and especially Sarah Lamb - whilst I’m hoping there’ll be further opportunities to see her in future Swan Lake runs, her last Odette/Odile this run certainly gave me a great sense of satisfaction.

I fully agree with all the plaudits for the evening performance with Fumi Kaneko and Vadim Muntagirov so well matched and in such sparkling form. I’ve never seen an Odile so ensnare Siegfried, then seemingly reel him in centre stage for his denouement. And the pyrotechnics have never felt so much a part of Odile’s character. Simply sensational. As was Muntagirov’s Siegfried. Kaneko’s Odette was achingly exquisite making maximum use of the tempo whilst maintaining the pulse. I can see why @Scheherezade said earlier she found it impossible to choose between Odette and Odile as they were both so strong. I’m more often impressed by Odettes with the Odiles being less convincing (although that might be down to Von Rothbart’s questionable magic) so for me it was Kaneko’s Odile perfectly complementing her Odette that made this performance so special, with Muntagirov the consummate Siegfried.

Finally enormous thanks to the Corps, many of whom must have been dancing Friday’s Winter’s Tale General Rehearsal and opening night as well as Saturday’s double Swan Lake. Wonderful to see their artistry and such astonishing dedication.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news for me. I managed to get a ticket to Thursday's SL. Just looked on the off-chance there'd be a couple of returns and there were. Just need to get myself 100% now. I hope Will Bracewell recovers for Saturday's SL with Hayward and also for Monday's WT. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Good news for me. I managed to get a ticket to Thursday's SL. Just looked on the off-chance there'd be a couple of returns and there were. Just need to get myself 100% now. I hope Will Bracewell recovers for Saturday's SL with Hayward and also for Monday's WT. Fingers crossed! 

Sorry to hear you were unwell and had to miss Fumi's Swan Lake last weekend, @Linnzi5! Glad to hear you managed to get a ticket for her Thursday show. Do get lots of rest and wishing you a speedy recovery [in time for Saturday]. In fact, wishing both you and William Bracewell a speedy recovery [from different things!] before Saturday!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could be interesting, but I'm sorry not to see Bracewell and Hayward together.  At least there will be several days to rehearse together, which is good.

• Like 3

Have Hayward & Ball been partnered together since Onegin in 2020? The only other time I can think I've seen them dance together since was in LWFC but of course he wasn't her main partner in that. Given recent casting trends, I was rather expecting Sambe to replace Bracewell.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd thought of Corrales too, though perhaps as he's not long back from injury he might still have to be careful & not do extra performances. I only hope Ball won't now be tired for Monday's Winter's Tale & I'm still hoping that Bracewell might be recovered for it.

• Like 3

Just now, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I'd thought of Corrales too, though perhaps as he's not long back from injury he might still have to be careful & not do extra performances. I only hope Ball won't now be tired for Monday's Winter's Tale & I'm still hoping that Bracewell might be recovered for it.

Ditto.  Matty is a very busy chap!

• Like 1

It feels like he's done quite a lot of subbing in the last few seasons. Of course there's not a vast number of male Principals available at the moment anyway, with McRae & Hirano out. If only Campbell hadn't retired 2 months ago maybe he'd have finally been allowed to dance Siegfried!!

• Like 7

I have seen 6 performances of this SL, with Fumi/Vadim being the most moving one! Which other nights are going to be unmissable? Do you think Osipova is going to dance? She did not dance in San Francisco last week, due to an injury...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pelli said:

I have seen 6 performances of this SL, with Fumi/Vadim being the most moving one! Which other nights are going to be unmissable? Do you think Osipova is going to dance? She did not dance in San Francisco last week, due to an injury...

Welcome to the forum, Pelli!  We won’t know if Osipova can dance until we are told anything by the RB. Fumi and Vadim tomorrow night I would say is unmissable. Very interesting will be the double debuts of Sasaki/Sissens on Saturday and the return of Claire Calvert to the role of O/O after maternity leave.  Just my thoughts!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

There's a cast change for Swan Lake on Saturday evening on the ROH website.  Matthew Ball for William Bracewell. 

I would be tempted to see Hayward/Ball (if I could afford another SL which I can't!) as I've very much liked them together in  recent years - LWFC and the Dante Project (didn't see Onegin). After seeing the clip of Swan Lake with Corrales/Hayward on the ROH YouTube channel, I would also like to see them paired for the full length at some point.

• Like 2

I'm going to tonight's performance (despite the best efforts of the train to be delayed!) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to come up to the Floral Hall as I'm meeting a friend who's seeing the production for the first time. If I do have time then I'll try to nip up. Or if you see someone walking around in a face mask & gloves then that's me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Just to mention that tonight's performance of Swan Lake is (officially) dedicated to the memory of Linda Gainsbury.

Glad to be here despite never having met her in person. It would be so nice to catch up with anyone from the forum who did know her if you are here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mary said:

I am here celebrating 50 years of going to ballet at ROH. Thinking of Linda.

I hope I get to say this one day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blossom said:

Glad to be here despite never having met her in person. It would be so nice to catch up with anyone from the forum who did know her if you are here.

Echoing these sentiments, Blossom!

• Like 1

I’m very envious of anyone getting to see Fumi and Vadim again tonight but I especially would have liked to be there if it is officially dedicated to Linda. Although at least I got to be there on Saturday.

• Like 3

It makes me feel rather guilty at being here, as if I'm intruding on a performance that I shouldn't be at because it belongs to someone else. That's probably just me though, being autistic.

That’s not at all the case @Dawnstar. I’m sure Linda would be very, very happy to see so many of her fellow forum members there to celebrate both her and Fumi and Vadim’s performance ☺️

• Like 11

I’ve already said all I could possibly say following Saturday’s performance from Kaneko and Muntagirov. I can only add that their second performance completely lived up to their first. Utterly dazzling - everything dialled up to ‘11’ but still so heartrendingly sincere. A giant standing ovation from those of us in the stalls (I hope also from the rest of the house) - and a rather shy kiss shared between the two leads during the red run! All as a lovely tribute to Linda Gainsbury - the cup does runneth over. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MildConcern said:

I’ve already said all I could possibly say following Saturday’s performance from Kaneko and Muntagirov. I can only add that their second performance completely lived up to their first. Utterly dazzling - everything dialled up to ‘11’ but still so heartrendingly sincere. A giant standing ovation from those of us in the stalls (I hope also from the rest of the house) - and a rather shy kiss shared between the two leads during the red run! All as a lovely tribute to Linda Gainsbury - the cup does runneth over. 

I can only agree. I was further from the stage in the orchestra stalls and was SHOCKED that the woman behind me actually asked me to sit down because she could not see their bows. This when several other rows before us were standing up. I found this profoundly disrespectful, especially after such a great performance. I can understand that one does not want to/cannot stand up, but stopping others from doing so seems selfish to me. Anyways, I am beyond moved, even speechless. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, alison said:

Unfortunately, not everyone is always in a position to be able to stand up in such circumstances :(

And people standing prevent people sitting behind them from seeing … which is, perhaps, a little thoughtless 

Edited by RobR
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

And people standing prevent people sitting behind them from seeing … which is, perhaps, a little thoughtless 

I’m sorry, I was honestly trying to honor the performers by giving them a standing ovation. I think THEY and their arot are the ones we should think about and honor. Especially considering that rows before were also doing so… 

• Like 9