• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Manon the only Winter production? Or is swan lake casting coming later? 

I think for me I'll deviate from the favourites so far and think given they are given matinees as well Hayward/Sambe and then depending on seat availiability perhaps Osipova/Clarke as well. I really enjoyed Osipova/Clarke in Giselle so hoping they'd be equally as dramatic/moving in Manon, and Hayward is meant to be perfect in this role and the Magri/Campbell supporting cast looks great also. 

I imagine it will be three years when Manon comes round again, at which point I will prioritise Kaneko, hopefully with Bracewell or again with Muntagirov so I'll await reviews of their performance. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 1

I am SO happy Hamilton gets a public performance this time. I was deeply disappointed not to be able to see her in 2019. I'm also very pleased she's dancing with Richardson, as seeing him do the bedroom pdd at the Diamond Celebration made me want to see him do the role in full.

I thought Bolle came over as too old for Des Grieux when I saw him in 2019 so I'll be passing on him this time, though I'm sorry not to be seeing Nunez as after seeing her do the bedroom pdd with Acosta 2 weeks ago I was hoping she'd be cast with a partner I wanted to see. The other 2019 pairing I'd hope would be changed was Cuthbertson & Ball, as I thought he was brilliant but her Manon didn't do much for me, so I'll probably skip them this time too.

I'm pleased Campbell is back to doing Lescaut (though I rather wish he was doing Des Grieux with Hayward like last time & Lescaut in another cast), as he didn't last time so I've only seen him as Des Grieux. I wonder if it was originally slated to be Corrales doing those performances, as he was paired with Magri last time? I was hoping Magri would get to do the title role this time around but I'm not too surprised that she isn't. It looks like I won't get to see Naghdi as the Mistress, as she missed the last run due to injury & is now moving on to the title role. I'm pleased to see Dias making her Mistress debut as I can imagine her in the role. I find it harder to imagine O'Sullivan in the role so that'll be interesting to see.

Added: I forgot to say that while I will definitely be seeing Kaneko/Muntagirov and Naghdi/Bracewell, I'm not sure whether I am pleased by the pairings or whether I would have rather seen them the other way around...

Overall I think I can probably manage to restrict myself to 5 casts, the same as last time, which is a relief from a financial point of view!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 13

I was curious to see if Lamb had done Manon with McRae before so just looked it up. The answers looks to be yes but not at the ROH, only on tour. However I was struck by how few performances of the title role she has done, only 13 and that includes 2 "extra" substituting for Cuthbertson in 2014. Assuming this next run is likely to be her last, that will mean 15 performances in total. (I don't know if she has ever guested in the role elsewhere.) That seems so few performances of a role for an entire career, & she will have had a longer than average career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Interesting that Roberto Bolle is only dancing the one performance.  Has anyone seen him in Manon before?

Bolle appeared with Zenaida Yanowsky in Manon in 2014. Her last performance as Manon, I think. It's her I remember (stunning, astonishing detail) rather than him, but he was a very supportive partner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis Saturday 3 February 1pm (AV1)

Many thanks for posting this information, Capybara.  It's very much appreciated!

I've quoted the February 3 matinée cast as I have to confess my ignorance. I have no idea what (AV1) signifies.  If any Forum members know its meaning, it would be good if they could let us know.

1 hour ago, JNC said:

personal opinion but I agree. In fact I’d forgotten I’d even seen him live until this thread reminded me! (And I follow him on Instagram so many opportunities to have been reminded!) 

I really wish Hayward had been paired with Corrales but I suppose his injury put paid to that. Who was her DG last time? I’m not sure about her and Sambe as a chemistry combo - perhaps others (those who saw Like Water for Chocolate) might give their opinions? 

Hayward is meant to be an excellent Manon and I missed her last time but I’m not sure about her and Sambe - if it was with Campbell or Bracewell (or Corrales of course) I know it would be great. 

Her DG was Alex Campbell and they were both amazing and unforgettable.  She and Sambe were wonderful together in Fille, but their partnership in LWFC left me cold. The Naghdi/Corrales cast made it a different ballet for me.  

I am not feeling Sambe as DG so will probably skip it.  However, I would love to see Hayward in the role again so will have to think about that one…and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if I do go!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Thanks for posting this.  Not sure how I feel about the Bolle/Nunez pairing - I think there's a filmed version of them I've seen.  I quite wanted to see Muntagirov with Lamb (I think Manon is one of her great roles) one last time but nice to see the Kaneko partnership I guess.

I realised I was thinking of Bonnelli with Nunez, not Bolle, so I am more uncertain about wanting to see that pairing, which is a shame as there cannot be that many more Manon's for Nunez and Lamb.

1 hour ago, OnePigeon said:

I believe AV1 (Audio Visual) would refer to it being filmed, I presume as a safety performance to splice into the live cinema relay for the evening performance should they need to.

Thank you. I knew AV1 was a video coding format but I’d rejected that explanation as I couldn’t imagine it was one used for professional, high definition filming. Nonetheless, I’m sure you’re right as I can’t think what else it can mean.

Yesssss!!!!!! Vadim and Fumi in a major role together at the ROH AT LAST. So pleased Kevin has finally got round to pairing them together. That's 2 performances I'll definitely be attending though I wish Vadim did more matinees. He had one for Cinderella but I couldn't remember a previous one. Also, pleasantly surprised to see Osipova with a matinee as I don't think she does many though I'll probably not attend as I'll see her at the cinema. Perhaps Kevin is getting the message that not everyone can afford an expensive London overnight as well as expensive ROH tickets. I still feel cheated that the matinee reduced prices (apparently aimed especially at those of us who can't get home after an evening performance) were withdrawn without notice, not to mention the packages withdrawn which again seems misguided as it encouraged people to attend multiple performances. But of course the ROH aren't really interested in people attending multiple performances, just new people through the door willing to pay inflated prices for the ROH 'experience', possibly never to be seen again, or at least not very often. Anyway, mustn't get sidetracked by that hobby horse. Might try and combine the Skeaping Giselle with seeing Naghdi/Bracewell Manon Jan 20th 7.30. I can see a Giselle matinee on the Saturday and another Sun 21st though it might depend on ENB casting. I would love to see Frola but can't see him doing a matinee. However, if he's dancing the evening of the 18th Jan I could combine that with Manon rehearsal. So much juggling and so much expense but I'm sure it will be worth it. Just hope Giselle casting is announced before Friends booking Sept 19th. Judging by what Aaron Watkin said hopefully it will be. Must try and see Hamilton/Richardson as don't get much chance to see Melissa in leading roles, though I wish it was a matinee. Like others slightly disappointed Hayward isn't paired with Campbell but Sambe will be interesting and at least we get to see Campbell as Lescault and they get a first night which is great. Hayward is definitely my 'go to' Manon but I'm open to being convinced by others. Slightly disappointed Magri isn't given a chance but she did get Don Q as did O'Sullivan whom I never saw as the Mistress but of course she does get the pas de deux with Lescault. So much for saving up for the Ashton!

• Like 7

Just now, Benjamin said:

I think this casting is pretty good, unlike the prices, so unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be booking for as many casts as I used to. Interested to see how these debuts go but it’s still a while away. 

Very happy about Campbell doing a few more shows and a Vadim/ Fumi ROH performance.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lynette H said:

Reformatted

Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambe*, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis

Wednesday 17 January 7.30pm

Saturday 17 February 1pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, Matthew Ball, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Bennet Gartside

Friday 19 January 7.30pm

Wednesday 14 February 7.30pm  

Yasmine Naghdi*, William Bracewell*, Anna Rose O’Sullivan*, Luca Acri, Thomas Whitehead

Saturday 20 January 7.30pm

Saturday 3 February 7pm  

Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke, Mayara Magri, Alexander Campbell, Gary Avis

Saturday 3 February 1pm (AV1)

7 February 7.30pm (Live Cinema Relay)  

Marianela Nuñez, Roberto Bolle†, Itziar Mendizabal, Ryoichi Hirano, Christopher Saunders  

9 February 7.30pm

17 February 7pm  

Fumi Kaneko*, Vadim Muntagirov, Leticia Dias*, Joseph Sissens*, Bennet Gartside

Friday 23 February 7.30pm

Tuesday 27 February 7.30pm  

Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, James Hay, Christopher Saunders  

Monday 26 February 7.30pm  

Saturday 2 March 1pm  

Akane Takada, Alexander Campbell, Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zucchetti, Thomas Whitehead

Saturday 2 March 7pm  

Friday 8 March 7.30pm

Melissa Hamilton, Calvin Richardson*, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, James Hay, Christopher Saunders  

Tuesday 5 March 7.30pm

Thank you, Lynette.  I must say that capybara's posting is a lot easier to read now I can see it on a computer screen, as opposed to my phone.  Thanks to both of you.

I must admit to a bit of disappointment, though: I'd been hoping for a Hayward/Bracewell partnership in this :(

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, alison said:

Thank you, Lynette.  I must say that capybara's posting is a lot easier to read now I can see it on a computer screen, as opposed to my phone.  Thanks to both of you.

I must admit to a bit of disappointment, though: I'd been hoping for a Hayward/Bracewell partnership in this :(

Yes. I would have liked that too. I  think that there are too many principles to cast and it seems that just two performances (usually) for each principle is limiting in so many ways. 

• Like 4

Crikey - this casting is putting a spanner in my winter booking plans!

So very excited about Kaneko’s debut. On one hand, terrific that we finally get to see her with Muntagirov. On the other, Bracewell’s Des Grieux was one I was sorely anticipating and I was hoping they would be cast together. But seeing as Bracewell is with Naghdi, I must see both casts!

Echoing the above comments re Melissa’s public performance - I am so relieved she hasn’t been dropped from the roster. I saw her debut in 2014(!) partnered by Matthew Golding and remember her being utterly divine. Also excited for Richardson, remembering his gala performance with Takada last year in the role.

Slightly disappointed not more debuts are scheduled. Did we really need Bolle, who hasn’t done any strenuous partnering for a good few years? Of course the female principal situation is very bloated at the moment, with neither of Magri or O Sullivan getting a run out, but typing the above re Hamilton made me recall that she and Francesca made their Manon debuts as lowly soloists in the same year. How unlikely that is to happen to young potentials now.

• Like 6

Thanks for the info Capybara

The pairings of Yasmine/William and Fumi/Vadim works for me - but sad one of Yasmine's shows clashes with the 6 Nations. Just have to record the matches and hope no one spoils it by telling me the results before I get home! That's going to be a very late night, the 3rd Feb!

• Like 5

Disappointed/baffled on 3 counts:

electrifying partnerships come along so rarely and the Kaneko/Bracewell partnership was THE ONE since Cojocaru/Kobborg, I'm very sad that is not to be repeated;

a pity that some of the Lescaut/Mistress casting is doubling up rather than giving opportunities to a Soloist - why not give Leo Dixon or David Donnelly a chance to show what they can do ? 

Bolle has had a magnificent career but he is nearly 50, surely Des Grieux is a young man's role. Is there really no alternative to bringing in a guest star ? 

• Like 12

Only just seen these castings, definitely giving me something to savour on my train ride down to the New Forest!!

First thing I checked, that Leticia Dias is doing Mistress!!! 👏 Quite surprised to see Anna Rose O’Sullivan is doing it. I would have loved to have seen Isabella Gasparini in the role.

Im relieved to see Melissa Hamilton gets a public performance as Manon, a must see for me as is Fumi and Yasmine. And although I do wish it was Fumi/Bracewell at least we’ve still got the Swan Lake announcement to see if that happens. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

The pairings of Yasmine/William and Fumi/Vadim works for me - but sad one of Yasmine's shows clashes with the 6 Nations. 

How very inconsiderate of the ROH :)  Priorities, priorities ...

Perhaps they should do another couple of  Swan Lake multi-cast specials and have different Manons in Act 1 and Act 2 to give the keen out-of-towners like me a chance to see the exciting new pairings.

I joke of course.

I never watch Act 3 any more.

• Like 3

I would love to see a Fumi/Vadim pairing. In the last year, they perform almost exclusively together at all the Galas in the world, many times in Japan, in Cape Town, I had the opportunity to see them in Geneva and several times in Brno. I think their partnership works great and I really wanted to see them in ROH in a full-length ballet, which will finally happen now. I hope to be able to see the Osipova/Reece and Naghdi/Bracewell shows as well. Manon is one of my favorite ballets, so along with two absolutely amazing performances at the Paris Opera, I hope to see Manon 5 times this year 😍.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MildConcern said:

Did we really need Bolle..............?

Not in my view. It's possible that Marianela asked for him but such a request would surely have been declined on the basis of additional cost.

A Des Grieux outing for Nicol Edmonds or one of the very talented soloists would not have come amiss if a space was available.

So pleased that my 'must see' castings of Manon and Des Grieux also include very interesting Lescaut/Mistress debuts. And, overall, KOH's pairing selections will actually reduce my outlay as there are three casts which I have to book for, one which is in the balance and no less than five which do not tempt me for various reasons.

• Like 7

Guest oncnp
15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Not in my view. It's possible that Marianela asked for him but such a request would surely have been declined on the basis of additional cost.

A Des Grieux outing for Nicol Edmonds or one of the very talented soloists would not have come amiss if a space was available.

Osipova got Hallberg when she asked, albeit pre-COVID. Perhaps it is being subsidized.

Given Nunez can dance with anyone (my opinion of course) and as you note there are very talented company personnel available, I can't imagine why else they would be bringing him in. 

Edited by oncnp

20 minutes ago, capybara said:

So pleased that my 'must see' castings of Manon and Des Grieux also include very interesting Lescaut/Mistress debuts.

And, overall, KOH's pairing selections will actually reduce my outlay as there are three casts which I have to book for, one which is in the balance and no less than five which do not tempt me for various reasons.

mine too  🙂

For me, two essential casts, and two casts I'd like to see (once). So hoping to get to six shows. Not many by standards here - still madness to non-ballet fans!! lol

• Like 2

Manon like Mayerling just isn’t a ballet I could see six plus times on the trot!! 
Twice at most ( and nothing to do with expense this time) with some weeks in between is enough on the emotional level for me with these ballets. 
I do think age may have something to do with it I’ve found as I’ve got older I can only take so much drama/tragedy and even Beauty!! 
The soul just needs to connect in every so often to keep in touch with the  range of human experience that is possible. 
Just as I could eat like a horse when younger but now just eat to keep the body sustained ( well most of the time!) 
Perhaps it’s like that with 55 years plus of ballet going ….though others will feel differently I’m sure. 

• Like 2