1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Slightly random question but given that this thread is about casting, does anyone know how Teo Dubreuil is? I feel like I haven't seen too much of him on stage this past season. I hope he's doing well.

I have also missed seeing him on stage this season as I think he is a lovely, elegant dancer. I hope we see him in a production soon. 🤞

• Like 5

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Slightly random question but given that this thread is about casting, does anyone know how Teo Dubreuil is? I feel like I haven't seen too much of him on stage this past season. I hope he's doing well.

An Instagram story by Teo randomly appeared on my IG feed yesterday. The caption was “exciting things coming soon” but, although Teo himself was in the accompanying image, I couldn’t make out what was being depicted.

I agree that he’s a lovely dancer and I, too, look forward to seeing him on stage soon.

• Like 3

Thanks Sim. That's good to hear. I love looking out for him. He has great stage presence and I love seeing what he brings to any role he takes on. Would be great seeing him in bigger roles; hopefully later in the season. 

• Like 3

Just to add .. this may be elsewhere but there is more casting info up now hence me going to see Dante with an open mind and heart and it’s much cheaper too! Will combine with trip to see lights and so on she said ignoring her advanced age! PS re the Fille debate ... I don’t know whether it’s just rumour about the Alain character pure speculation I think. But we do want the ballet back. And whatever people’s views on Manon - those three pas de deux are surely worth a view? 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

Just to add .. this may be elsewhere but there is more casting info up now hence me going to see Dante with an open mind and heart and it’s much cheaper too! Will combine with trip to see lights and so on she said ignoring her advanced age! PS re the Fille debate ... I don’t know whether it’s just rumour about the Alain character pure speculation I think. But we do want the ballet back. And whatever people’s views on Manon - those three pas de deux are surely worth a view? 

I want Fille - most definitely. I am looking forward to Manon, personally. Yes. I am going to see Dante too. I was holding off on booking as I wanted to see the casting choices - I just had a gut feeling that someone I'd like to see in the role would be cast. Is Dante a ballet that I love? No - but I want to see it now. ;) 

30 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

William Bracewell honed his craft at BRB before he moved over to RB and is, in my opinion, one of the best dance actors around.  He will definitely be worth seeing!

I think @Linnzi5 is being tongue-in-cheek here; she is a huge fan of Mr Bracewell!!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I wonder if Fumi will be his Beatrice or if Marianela might be cast, since she loves dancing with WB and got great praises for Woolf Works

Nunez is advertised to be dancing Sleeping Beauty in Tokyo on 2 and 3 Dec so the timing might not work. 

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

William Bracewell honed his craft at BRB before he moved over to RB and is, in my opinion, one of the best dance actors around.  He will definitely be worth seeing!

Sim is quite correct - I was being tongue -in-cheek, Jan. I am a huge, huge fan of Mr Bracewell. He is my favourite male dancer and I make sure I see him in everything. I wouldn’t call myself an obsessive fan but I’m well on the way! 😳

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, Sim said:

Again, I wish I had known the casting prior to booking my one performance of Dante.  

Me too. I’m not sure why some casting isn’t released in time for the opening of booking. It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

I got lucky with the date I picked but my recall is of a character in a dressing gown who didn't do much dancing. I'm hoping that I will come away with a more rounded view this coming season.

Yes. A dressing gown sums up the costume nicely! 🤣 I recently rewatched on the ROH stream and Dante does some lovely partnering and solo work too. I preferred it on subsequent viewings. I am really looking forward to it. 😀

• Like 2

On 09/08/2023 at 15:41, AnneL said:

I am sorry to inject a note of dissent into the conversation, but I saw the Nunez-Bolle pairing during each of the last two Manon runs, and thoroughly enjoyed their interpretations. Personally I find Bolle’s interpretation of the role more convincing than many others I have seen, as evidenced by the Paris Opera Ballet dvd he is in, and he and Nela work together well. It remains to be seen whether he is now too old, given that one has to suspend disbelief with these characters for any dancers beyond their early twenties! 

I have travelled to Milan to see Nunez/Bolle together, as in my mind they are a stunning partnership and it was worth the trip as these things happen so rarely.  What I will say now, which I don't think is giving too much away, is that when his name came up on the RB Tokyo tour whilst chatting to various people, they all rated him really highly in all respects.   

• Like 4

Of all the roles I’m afraid not even Bracewell can tempt me to rush out to see Dante as the role didn’t seem to require an awful lot of dancing though do remember a quite nice pas de deux between Watson and Avis in Act two at one point. I may be tempted to try for a standing tick once I see what the other casting is as wouldn’t mind seeing Fumi as the Devil again!! And Jo Sissens and Calvin Richardson were great in their roles if cast similarly this time. But that was mostly in Act One. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

do they normally announce Mercedes and Espada beforehand?

I thought they had but perhaps just wishful thinking on my part.....

17 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I have travelled to Milan to see Nunez/Bolle together, as in my mind they are a stunning partnership and it was worth the trip as these things happen so rarely.  What I will say now, which I don't think is giving too much away, is that when his name came up on the RB Tokyo tour whilst chatting to various people, they all rated him really highly in all respects.   

To coin a phrase: 'opinions may vary'! 😉

[I could also refer to what many others I know think about Bolle and, in those cases, it is not favourable.]

• Like 2

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

do they normally announce Mercedes and Espada beforehand?

Others may correct me but I think during the last run only Kitri/Basilio were published in advance with Espada/Mercedes being a pleasant surprise on the night. As the run went on it was sometimes possible to glean information from individual dancers social media posts. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1

I suppose, if Espada and Mercedes are listed in advance, the Queen of the Dryads and Amour should be named as well. Then why not Sancho Panza, Gamache and Kitri’s father - and so it goes on…….

IIRC all these roles were danced extraordinarily well throughout the 2019 run, so there’s no real need for concern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

IIRC all these roles were danced extraordinarily well throughout the 2019 run, so there’s no real need for concern.

Not at all concerned....curious

According to Yuhui Choe's IG story she's going to be Mercedes for the first time, as is Leticia Dias (from her story last week)....the question of when goes unanswered for now, of course

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2