I don’t know if this has been discussed elsewhere but as public booking opens tomorrow is there any casting likely to be announced for the Macmillan triple soonish? 
I can probably only go twice so don’t want to book without any casting at all. 

• Like 1

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed elsewhere but as public booking opens tomorrow is there any casting likely to be announced for the Macmillan triple soonish? 
I can probably only go twice so don’t want to book without any casting at all. 

Will need the Instagram watchers among us (unfortunately not me) to see if any of the dancers have mentioned anything! Seems like the best way to get advance casting for mixed bills nowadays  😉 😄 

• Like 1

Just now, Amanda Liu said:

Cast for Lescaut’s mistress and Monsieur GM is on ROH website.

Also Akane has been replaced by Francesca.

I am so very sad for Akane.  :(

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, Amanda Liu said:

So sorry for Takada :( .  So, Hayward will be dancing with Campbell?  Oh well, that resolves one of my Giselle issues, I suppose.  But it's odd that I haven't received a cast change notification.

Since Takada pulled out of her Nutcrackers I've been wondering if she'd end up being replaced by Hayward in Manon so I wasn't surprised when I saw the ROH website earlier. Now I have the dilemma of do I try to get a ticket to see Hayward with the Des Grieux I'd prefer to see or with the Lescaut & Mistress I'd prefer to see...

2 hours ago, Amanda Liu said:

And the mistresses are all the same as before they disappeared from the booking page

MANON

CAST CHANGE

Dear

We hope you are looking forward to seeing Manonat the Royal Opera House.

Please be aware that the following cast changes have been made:

19 January, 7.30pm:

Ryoichi Hirano is replaced by Luca Acri as Lescaut.

2 March, 7pm and 8 March, 7.30pm:

Akane Takada is replaced by Francesca Hayward as Manon.

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Have they disappeared again? Or perhaps it’s Avanti’s broadband?

They added an Insight therefore felt they had to take something out....

I noticed that a bit earlier when I was checking for tickets. I wonder if that means there's going to be more cast changes (Gartside appeared as Dr Stahlbaum at the end of the Nutcracker run so maybe he could do GM after all) or if someone has just hit the wrong button!

Edited by Dawnstar

Bennet is not allowed any lifting yet after his shoulder injury

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

maybe he could do GM after all) or if someone has just hit the wrong button!

That's unlikely.  Bennet is not allowed to lift yet after his shoulder surgery end of 2023.  Papa Stahlbaum's only arm-raises are lifting the yellow handkerchief but partnering even the smallest of ballerinas is currently out of question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

When I checked the Manon cast & tickets page this morning the casting for Monsieur GM had reappeared, though not that for the Mistress. When I checked again this evening the casting for Monsieur GM had disappeared again. Goodness knows what's going on with it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a reply.

The casting for the MacMillan and Ashton programmes together with The Winter’s Tale and the remaining Swan Lakes “is awaited”.

However, fingers crossed that it will all emerge soon as the RB is now back from its mid season break.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, capybara said:

I’ve had a reply.

The casting for the MacMillan and Ashton programmes together with The Winter’s Tale and the remaining Swan Lakes “is awaited”.

However, fingers crossed that it will all emerge soon as the RB is now back from its mid season break.

hmmm this is a rather annoying message  back - the Macmillan triple is from a completely different booking period!l to the others!!!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

hmmm this is a rather annoying message  back - the Macmillan triple is from a completely different booking period!l to the others!!!

I know. I asked specifically about the MacMillan but received a portmanteau answer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TSR101 said:

10 hours ago, capybara said:

I know. I asked specifically about the MacMillan but received a portmanteau answer!

i don’t know the ballets included in the MacMillan triple bill.

perhaps, in the grand scheme of things compared say, to one of his narrative ballets where titular roles can make or break an evening**, the casting for the MacMillan triple bill is relatively unimportant?

** that said, with the RB, I can’t remember ever having left the ROH being disappointed when circumstances have resulted in cast changes. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeterS said:

perhaps, in the grand scheme of things compared say, to one of his narrative ballets where titular roles can make or break an evening**, the casting for the MacMillan triple bill is relatively unimportant?

** that said, with the RB, I can’t remember ever having left the ROH being disappointed when circumstances have resulted in cast changes. 

In some roles the casting does matter (at least to people like us!), but also for those booking more than one performance the aim is (probably!) to see different casts rather than finding you've booked the same cast twice.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

Oh, I'd say the casting would be pretty important for all three works, or certainly for the last two.  Besides, as bridie says, some people will want to see all the casts.  (But as I pointed out, it's probably possible to split the performances into two lots with a bit of educated guesswork) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

For me the casting for the second two is very important!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterS said:

I know all of them and have seen Requiem loads of times (wonderful ballet), saw Danses Concertantes and Different Drummer with excellent casts who are now all retired from dancing bar one....and she's not the youngest among them! Who else but the incomparable Alessandra Ferri. I can definitely predict with 100% certainty that Ms Ferri is not going to be reprising her role in Different Drummer though.  😉 

That said I can't imagine that Marianela Nunez, Vadim Muntagirov or Yasmine Naghdi would not make the cut for the first night cast. I can't predict which ballet they would be in, but certainly if one didn't put Nunez and Muntagirov in the cast if means they're not dancing in the triple at all- which sounds unthinkable; they are likely to be in at least DC or Requiem or both. Naghdi could actually be in all three but perhaps only first night cast for one or two of them. Other companies do sometimes announce the names of dancers in the cast without stipulating which ballet they are confirmed for initially. That might matter for some audience members but for others who are just pleased that their favourites are dancing, they might not mind so much. 

At present it seems to be a bit of a contest with ENB to see who can leave their casting announcements for their Spring/Easter contemporary pieces the latest! I understand why for both companies - both programmes have not been danced by the current cohort of dancers ever or in the case of Requiem, by a significant number of the current dancers. But it just means that it will take longer for tickets to sell. Still, March is still some time away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see that the web page for the MacMillan triple bill no longer has "The Company" listed for each performance. Maybe that means they're preparing to add the actual casting? Or maybe I'm being too optomistic & it's just the website playing up, like the disappearing/re-appearing GMs & Mistresses on the Manon page.

• Like 6

Okay, got 5/6 of Danses Concertantes wrong, and much of Different Drummer, but what do I know? :)  Really quite surprised at this, but possibly Swan Lake gets too much in the way?

thanks for sharing @capybara

My main frustration with this bill is the overall lack of performances and there is only one weekend day, and on top of that no matinees, so for those not in London accommodation costs add up. 

Annoyingly the weekend casting (Saturday) wouldn’t be my preferred one. I would have liked to have seen the first night casting best as Hayward/Sambe/Campbell sounds an excellent combination. But this is a very personal situation and I’m glad to be seeing all new works for the first time! 

Ideally if I still lived in London I’d loved to have gone to two performances but alas. Or even if they did a Saturday double show with a matinee and an evening would have been heavenly for me! 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 3