Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another gorgeous night with some lovely performances. I was particularly thrilled to see Liam Boswell as the Jester and he did not disappoint. Was lovely to see Annette Buvoli as fairy godmother after seeing her rehearse.

I much preferred act 1 this evening, unsure if it’s because the sisters are less of a caricature danced (brilliantly) by Christina Arestis and Kristen McNally, if it’s because I am watching the action from a different level (stalls tonight) or if it’s just because I am more familiar with the designs, which looked much more subtle from down there.  

Francesca Hayward was beautiful to watch although I don’t care what Mark Monaghan says, I much preferred Yasmine Naghdi’s act 2. It was lovely to see her paired with Alexander Cambell again, it’s been a while since I have seen them dance together. 

Hopefully the production itself will continue to get better each time I watch! 

• Like 14

It was lovely tonight. My first visit since Manon 2019. Any bookings over lockdown got cancelled. 

The production itself looks just glorious. The production design is define. 

Everyone was on top form. Jester  was wonderful. 

Hayward and Campbell are as always gorgeous together and she in particular has really grown and takes a lot of the technical difficulty in her stride now. 

Their on stage relationship has really blossomed and grown. As in all the best they seem to have grown around eachother and it just fits. 

• Like 12

I absolutely LOVED McNally and Arestis as the sisters! And for me that transformed the whole balance of the ballet. They were completely believable as very silly, spoiled, competitive sisters - rather like Patsy and Edina and equally Fabulous. So instead of cringing my way through the sisters' scenes as I did on Monday evening, I thoroughly enjoyed them. 

And really, I think this is the role that Hayward was born to dance. Full of pathos, as light and quick as thistledown, and utterly beautiful. And well matched by Campbell's dashing prince. Both so musical and so magical. 

I enjoyed the production aspects much more tonight too. Still not keen on the light projections at the beginning, or the golden trees, but I 'got' it tonight. It took off and flew. Brilliant! 

• Like 22

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

I absolutely LOVED McNally and Arestis as the sisters! And for me that transformed the whole balance of the ballet. They were completely believable as very silly, spoiled, competitive sisters

yes, for me too. The 'jokes' didn't have to be funny enough to make allowances. Still not enough Cinders for me though 😉

4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And really, I think this is the role that Hayward was born to dance.

She posted on photo of herself on IG, when she was very young, with an old brush (nobody used brooms in those days) raised above her head, Cinders style - so you're probably right!

The light projections at the start - do you mean the ones into the auditorium, before the curtain went up? If so, think they are a hangover from days gone by, and if I'm remembering correctly, were there to represent the flickering of the dying embers in the fireplace (and i'm sure they used to be red/amber). Or something like that

• Like 4

How interesting that as usual reactions on this forum differ so much!  I thought the sisters were Disastrous - far, far worse than any of the male casts I have seen over the years - from the matchless Helpmann/Ashton on.  Otherwise I quite enjoyed the performance.  Liked the sets, and most of the costumes.  

• Like 3

Annette Buvoli again shone for me tonight, this time as a rather gorgeous Fairy Godmother. Wonderful 'Ashton-ness' and a calm, reassuring demeanour. Top stuff. Also liked Mariko Sasaki as 'summer', radiating enough heat that I almost thought I was getting sunburnt.

Really enjoyed the main partnership - Francesca Hayward may have been a little nervous, as I get the impression this was a role she REALLY wanted to do; Alex Campbell was a rock partnering, and danced well, without being overly showy-offy. And as above, the female sisters (Christina Arestis and the ever marvelous Kristen McNally), made all their shenangins tolerable - and even made more sense

• Like 19

35 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

The light projections at the start - do you mean the ones into the auditorium, before the curtain went up? If so, think they are a hangover from days gone by, and if I'm remembering correctly, were there to represent the flickering of the dying embers in the fireplace (and i'm sure they used to be red/amber). Or something like that

Yes, those. I just think they distract from the music which is there to create the mood. But I can live with them (she says magnanimously).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Annette Buvoli again shone for me tonight, this time as a rather gorgeous Fairy Godmother. Wonderful 'Ashton-ness' and a calm, reassuring demeanour. Top stuff. Also liked Mariko Sasaki as 'summer', radiating enough heat that I almost thought I was getting sunburnt.

Yes, I thought they were both wonderful too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

Can I ask, after multiple viewings, do the jokes wear a little thin?

Not really as they're normally quick and there's another one along fairly soon after....plus the various dancers do them slightly differently that can often add to a joke.....Gary and Bennet looked at the shoe as if to say they know it won't fit, Thomas Whitehead didn't....for example. And tonight Christina threw the big (fruit?) back to Kristen instead of keeping both...in that sequence and had to exchange them, an error that added humour too

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jm365 said:

I thought the sisters were Disastrous - far, far worse than any of the male casts I have seen over the years -

That's interesting- is it possible to say any more about why you thought their performance disastrous?

47 minutes ago, Mary said:

That's interesting- is it possible to say any more about why you thought their performance disastrous?

They were far from disastrous…the audience reaction was muted in act 1 compared to the other casts but it picked up in acts 2 and 3. We did lose the joke about a sister carrying Napoleon off this time round (Wellington doing the lifting)  and the shoe appeared to fit quite well….but it was still mostly fun to watch them 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

"....and the shoe appeared to fit quite well…."

Well that would have made for a very different final act with the Prince marrying one of the Ugly Sisters!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Rob S said:

52783291628_46f3221d48_b.jpg

52783070869_b9b1a502b1_b.jpg

52782830386_219da8d85e_b.jpg

52782284212_94345a3075_b.jpg

52783072389_bf49dfde0e_b.jpg

Gorgeous photographs thank you Rob.

I must say (sorry) from the various photographs I have seen from various sources that most of the costumes look hideous to me.  I hope they look better in real life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

I must say (sorry) from the various photographs I have seen from various sources that most of the costumes look hideous to me.  I hope they look better in real life.

I watched the 2003 fairies on YouTube when I got home from Cinderella last night. I think Spring is similar in colour if a leaner design in act 1. Autumn is lovely and I think I do quite like the windswept hairdo - it makes sense. It’s only really summer which is particularly bright. All of the colours look good on stage though and it lifts the dancers from their background more so than in the previous version.

I also think that the effect of the costumes, sets and lighting is much more modern and is a bit more Matthew Bourne like from that perspective. The colour and boldness may well be more interesting for new audiences which I am all for. 
I am wondering how the lighting and effects will show up on screen at the cinema - will have to wait for the encore performance for that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I very much enjoyed last night’s Cinderella. Apart from the lighting during the overture which I found intensely distracting, I liked the production and costumes. The magic certainly worked for me.

I thought Francesca Hayward delightful - fully convincing in the house scenes (mesmerising when discovering her slipper) and some fabulous dancing in the ball and final scenes although there were a couple of moments which I’m sure will be more secure with further performances. I recall how her second Act 2 Giselle was a triumph and complemented what she’d achieved in her first Act 1. She and Alexander Campbell do make a great partnership and I’m very much looking forward to seeing their final performance. I’m even tempted to have another look at Easter Bank Holiday Monday as I still have a ticket but I doubt a Fairy Godmother will magic transport for me.

Christina Arestis and Kristen McNally I thought made for an engaging pair of step sisters, certainly not over the top, and more importantly provided a credible sense of family domesticity. I rather hope there’ll be more female sisters in performances not yet cast. 
I enjoyed the Fairy Godmother, the Seasons, the Jester and all the cast - a tremendous ensemble making for a celebratory evening with enormous thanks to Koen Kessels and the orchestra.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Melissa Hamilton, who is dancing Fairy Godmother, in today’s performance ( Paul Hamlyn) has posted two  close ups of her costume on her a Instagram storyline and I must say it looks very lovely, with some intricate touches - much more so than in some of the distant photos, but that’s how the costumes are mainly going to be seen. I think the headdresses for all the fairies including the Godmother appear to be pretty hideous though. 

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I very much enjoyed last night’s Cinderella. Apart from the lighting during the overture which I found intensely distracting, I liked the production and costumes. The magic certainly worked for me.

I thought Francesca Hayward delightful - fully convincing in the house scenes (mesmerising when discovering her slipper) and some fabulous dancing in the ball and final scenes although there were a couple of moments which I’m sure will be more secure with further performances. I recall how her second Act 2 Giselle was a triumph and complemented what she’d achieved in her first Act 1. She and Alexander Campbell do make a great partnership and I’m very much looking forward to seeing their final performance. I’m even tempted to have another look at Easter Bank Holiday Monday as I still have a ticket but I doubt a Fairy Godmother will magic transport for me.

Christina Arestis and Kristen McNally I thought made for an engaging pair of step sisters, certainly not over the top, and more importantly provided a credible sense of family domesticity. I rather hope there’ll be more female sisters in performances not yet cast. 
I enjoyed the Fairy Godmother, the Seasons, the Jester and all the cast - a tremendous ensemble making for a celebratory evening with enormous thanks to Koen Kessels and the orchestra.

Ah yes the lights! I found them very disconcerting but my companion loved the effect! 

On 30/03/2023 at 00:48, FionaE said:

Loved Yasmine, Matthew and Mayara. Beautiful dancing with the little material they had.   

[...] 

Horrible choreo for the fairies in Act 1.  Their Act 1 dresses have pleats in the skirts which manage to make our slim ballerinas look like they have heavy thighs and bottoms.   Fairy godmother is fortunately spared.   

Isn't it Prokofiev who constrains the amount of dancing rather than Ashton (as someone seemed to imply)?  I didn't think there was a lot of music in the score which Cinderella *could* have danced to, unless she was dancing along with the Sisters.

And do you mean "choreo" in that second paragraph?  It sound as though you mean costumes - and I can't imagine why the choreography would be described as horrible!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks

Do you mean hideous compared to a previous production? I think the season fairy costumes for act 1 and 2 are beautiful

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I went to see Cinderella last night and really loved it.  I didn't think it was perfect or anything but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have only seen the BRB version before many years ago on DVD- I remember enjoying it but I couldn't really remember it properly.  So I had no expectations with this.

So anyway what I loved was

• Choreography-  obviously it was just amazing.  I just love Ashton's style...there's nothing like it.  I think it's all been said before and better than what I can do but yes, just beautiful.  The big solos were ballet heaven but also loved the corps work, jester, fairies and godmother choreography- really enjoyed it all, a lot of it is very unusual I thought
  • Score- loved it, very moody, dreamy and dramatic.  Although I've heard it once before it was many years ago so felt like I was hearing it for the first time.  
  • Performances- Francesca was wonderful, I think this is a really great role for her.  I can't praise her enough really.  Alex was great, making it all look very easy and I think always seems like an excellent partner.  The entrance when she gets out of the carriage to go to the ball gave me the chills- I feel like this ballet deserves to be more famous.  Obviously I know it is famous but the entrance should be up there in iconic ballet moments for the dress alone- unless it's not done the same in other productions.  Aside from Francessca and Alex, I thought Annette Buvoli was very commanding in all the right ways as the fairy godmother and all the fairy variations were very strong.  I think Autumn was my favourite variation for choreography but all the fairies gave strong performances.  Liam Boswell was great as the jester
  • Production- there was nothing I didn't like about the set design and look of it all.  I was a fan of the lights and the projection although I didn't think I would be.  I even liked the wands, I didn't think they looked cheap, I thought they were very effective from the amphitheatre.  I am sitting in the stalls next time so it might be a different experience.  It felt like I was discovering a whole new stage!  I loved the carriage and as I mentioned before, Cinderella's entrance to the ball.  But some of the fairies entrance were particularly great- I thought the way they did the Summer fairy entrance and winter were particularly good.
  • Costumes- I was a fan of the majority of the costumes- they looked beautiful from where I was sitting.  Obviously the costumes were hideous for the step sisters :D but definitely not for anyone else IMO anyway!  The only costume I wasn't keen on was the Spring fairy in her first variation as wasn't keen on the shade of green they used but just not quite to my taste

What I didn't like so much:

• The pacing and the way the story was told- as others have mentioned there's no scene where the ball is set up, she's just suddenly going.  And everything just seems to happen very suddenly with no lead up.  Cinderella to me can be quite an emotional story because of what she has to endure but I appreciate that's not what Ashton was going for.  Still I couldn't get as invested as I do in other fairy tale ballets just because I felt like the story itself was not told as well- yes you can follow the plot if you know the story but it's about more than just being able to follow it
  • Stepsisters- sorry wasn't a fan, no criticism of the dancers just not for me.  Although I did laugh at the wig gag in the second act.  Tbh I found the curtain call antics funnier.  But comedy is the most subjective thing of all, plenty of people around me were laughing.  

I have booked for Natalia and will also see the cinema broadcast so looking forward to seeing if I agree with myself in the weeks to come as just my initial thoughts :D I am also going to see ENB's Cinderella so will be interesting to see how they compare.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

It’s interesting about the stepsisters and why I think it might not necessarily work quite so well with two females…though not saying they can’t be funny of course. 
If you come from a working class family where some male members traditionally dressed up at Christmas to “entertain” you can see it’s knowing who it is performing that adds to the (possible) enjoyment. Anyone looking in from outside might not find certain things funny at all but to those on the inside it could often be hilarious and of course many “in family jokes” incorporated etc.

I think the other night when I enjoyed Luca Acri’s performance so much as a stepsister it was partly just because it was him! It was oh my God that’s Luca Acri …rather unexpected …but people in the audience who had never seen him before might not have found it quite so funny. So it was enjoying HIM in this ridiculous role which contributed to my appreciation. 
Just like seeing your normally very sensible uncles or cousins dressed up as women and having a bit of fun (often at one or two Aunty’s expense) it’s the out of character aspect which usually makes you laugh more. 
So potentially the stepsisters role with men dressed as women so an added dimension can be funnier than if it’s two women ….but of course it’s only a potential ….two female stepsisters can also be very funny too. 

Im sure Ashton created the roles for himself and Helpmann just to have a bit of fun sending them both up and probably more effective when they were alive and when the rest of the Company and friends knew them more personally in their daily life roles. 

• Like 14

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It’s interesting about the stepsisters and why I think it might not necessarily work quite so well with two females…though not saying they can’t be funny of course. 

I bet if it were Marianela Nunez and Lauren Cuthbertson in the roles we'd all be in fits for precisely the reasons you go on to mention

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 4

Good point!

I may well be wrong but didn't Ashton originally make the roles with women in mind?

That complicates our responses- maybe.

But most of us seem to feel the sisters' routine is really not all that funny, or at least, that a little would go a longish way.

Maybe it is just that times have changed and knockabout drag doesn't seem quite so funny any more? I really enjoyed the act on the first night as a piece of silliness, but I would not want to watch it 4 more times, so am wondering about my future bookings..

It all rather reminded me of TV humour when I was a child half a century ago.....

...and I should say that I am one of Ashton's greatest admirers and also one of Gary Avis's greatest admirers.

• Like 7

Ah just checked Kavanagh's biography of Ashton and see that he did originally think of casting women  - but when he and Helpmann took the roles: 'both invented characters so real to the audience that the joke of the pantomime dame did not apply.'

-as others have said above.

That is no doubt the sort of onstage chemistry/magic that cannot be replicated.

• Like 4

Yes times do change….I don’t think I’d appreciate the family ‘performances’ so much today lol! But as a child it was actually quite exciting though wonder now if the wives of the “performers” enjoyed it so much as us kids did!! 
Some of my family were true cockney Londoners so don’t know whether this was fairly common in the 50’s and 60’s in London and other big cities 🤔 
I suppose it was in the Paul OGrady Lily Savage tradition and Danny La Rue of course. 

• Like 1