Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

16 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

So, onto the Ugly Sisters. Like them or not, and I'm on the vaguely negative side, Gary Avis and Luca Acri were magnificent this afternoon. I'm particularly impressed with Luca Acri's performance who gives his sister a real character that you can actually like.  Gary, of course, held the stage superbly and this is the first time I've really enjoyed watching the Sisters, though I still think they have far too much air time. 

Another highlight today was the Napoleon / Wellington (now called Suitors) which I have always loathed. Today we had Philip Mosley and Lukas Braendsrod who were both superb comic actors.  By far the best in these 2 roles I have ever seen.  Poor Lukas had to lift Gary Avis into a very significant holding position and he succeeded magnificently.  Philip Mosley almost made me laugh out loud, as did Lukas.  Well done them in these 2 usually thankless roles. 

I saw the matinee this afternoon having been looking forward to it all week. I’ve never seen a Cinderella and am still processing the experience! However, although the sisters didn’t make me howl with laughter throughout, there were some very amusing moments and I thought Luca Acri was absolutely terrific today and had a lovely partnership with Gary Avis. Napoleon and Wellington were really good fun too. 

As I said, I still processing the rest but my mood may well have been affected by the issues travelling to London with engineering works on my line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first - tentative - post, so please be gentle!  Saw my first Cinderella at today's matinee - Nunez/Muntagirov cast - and, while it's not going to become my favourite ballet, I loved it.  I am slightly mystified by the comments that Nunez is a 'cold', technical dancer - I find her repeatedly the most musical performer in the company, with the tiniest nuances of movement often adding new inflections to interpretation.  I did feel that Act One didn't quite 'take off' for me, but put that down to the slightly unbalanced narrative - too much of the ugly sisters - and once Cinderella and the Prince met in Act Two, the magic began.  I must be the only person to like the costumes - they added colour and vivacity - and the set.  The mouse led coach and the twinkling trees were magical.  The orchestra was on fine form.

• Like 29

1 minute ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Thankyou - what a friendly and informative group you all are.

And I agree with you about the costumes, …. and I also very much liked the lighting, the sets, the effects, the music …… and Marianella!

And I also thought that the rest of the cast were very good too … well rehearsed, very expressive and completely in character.

Cinderella may not be everyone's favourite ballet, it isn’t mine, but I always come away from seeing it feeling that things are better than if I hadn’t seen it. 

• Like 19

I do enjoy this production, I for one like the colourful costumes.  But then I am also a colourful dresser in real life and wear a yellow dress with pink cardigan and pink high heels.

However, two things keep bugging me, though I believe those aren't new in this production:

- Why are the season fairies, when they dance as a quartet, not in seasonal order but instead spring, summer, winter, autumn?

- Cinderella kneeling and hugging with her dad as they think of her late mother in act one is the very same kneeling and hugging with the prince in act 3 after the shoes fit and the Fairy Godmother gives her blessing.  I would've like those two hugs be slightly different. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I must be the only person to like the costumes - they added colour and vivacity - and the set.  

No,  you're not alone Missfrankiecat - quite a few of us have praised the costumes  - and set,- (even if with reservations)- there is lots to enjoy isn't there.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Silke H said:

However, two things keep bugging me, though I believe those aren't new in this production:

- Why are the season fairies, when they dance as a quartet, not in seasonal order but instead spring, summer, winter, autumn?

- Cinderella kneeling and hugging with her dad as they think of her late mother in act one is the very same kneeling and hugging with the prince in act 3 after the shoes fit and the Fairy Godmother gives her blessing.  I would've like those two hugs be slightly different. 

Very interesting points, Silke H. I did notice about the fairies, and it bugged me too. But I didn't notice about the hugs. I will look out for this next time!

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Very interesting points, Silke H. I did notice about the fairies, and it bugged me too. But I didn't notice about the hugs. I will look out for this next time!

I wonder if it has to do with the heights of the dancers? I believe they try to balance the line 

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Mary said:

2 very interesting reviews in today's links which I enjoyed reading.

Arts Desk and Gramilano?  I believe that was yesterday's links if anyone is looking.

The Gramilano is the Naghdi/Ball cast. 

Edited by oncnp

A few thoughts:-

1. Not sure if I remember this correctly but wasn’t the barrier to mounting Cinderella again something to do with the design? Perhaps this explains the investment in a new version. Was Wendy Ellis-Soames the barrier? 

2. One thing which really concerns me outside of this forum is that classical ballet and the best of the Royal Ballet tradition with Ashton is becoming a bit lost to the general public. What the designs really achieve is a modernity which will hopefully bring more people through the doors with a familiar story and a look which won’t feel of an ancient world or a dying art form. I don’t remember what the designs were like in 2010 which is the last time I saw Cinderella (when ballet at the ROH was a very occasional treat), but with the acceleration of technology in theatre as a whole since then, the world has definitely changed. I don’t like absolutely everything design/costume wise (I didn’t realise the dandelion with spring was a dandelion until I had read the relevant article in the programme) but there is a lot of very clever detail and I particularly adore the look of Act 2 from the costumes to the set design. 

3. I have been watching the Sibley/Dowell DVD and note the longer length ball gowns and long sleeves for ladies. Current costumes seem to be a marked improvement in terms of being able to better watch footwork and port de bras. From seeing a video of the fairies from a more recent production (Morera was autumn and Yanowsky  winter) I don’t much like their Act 1 costumes, or the fairy godmother’s- and much prefer the costumes from Sibley’s day!

• Like 3

Guest oncnp

Late breaking review in the Observer (and tomorrow's links) and another no vote for the costumes. 

Edited by oncnp

Please could someone let me know how to edit a post to correct any grammar and spelling mistakes?

Thanks.

@Rob S Thank you for the beautiful photos you have posted this week, it’s lovely to be able to see the dancers the casts I may not have booked for.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Swan said:

Please could someone let me know how to edit a post to correct any grammar and spelling mistakes?

If you click on the dots at the top right-hand corner of your post, it gives you the option to edit and then save your changes. But you can only do this for half an hour after you've posted - after that, the post stands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, bridiem said:

If you click on the dots at the top right-hand corner of your post, it gives you the option to edit and then save your changes. But you can only do this for half an hour after you've posted - after that, the post stands.

Thank you @bridiem. In my haste to post, I’ve realised my proof reading skills are often lacking. 🤣

• Like 4

I was also at yesterday's matinee and enjoyed it.  As I have said previously, I don't think anything will ever change the fact that Cinders is not a ballet I like very much....but I like it enough to go and see different casts.  And let's face it...any Ashton is better than no Ashton!  I do agree with @annamk and others that this ballet is not a patch on Fille.  I even prefer Sylvia!  I am being turned by the music, though.  Yesterday was my third viewing of the ballet and each time the music grows on me.  By the end of the run I might even love it!  :)   Maybe it has something to do with how it's being played. To my untrained ear it sounds lush and beautiful...and I do enjoy the echoes of the R&J score that run throughout.  

Speaking of the orchestra, I wasn't there last night but I saw from @Silke H's photos that Sarah Lamb presented Koen Kessels with one of her roses.  What a lovely gesture.

I don't think I have read any reports about the Lamb/McRae cast (maybe a couple of comments about the sisters).  Any views on the interpretations of the lead couple please?  This is the only cast I am not seeing so would love to hear any comments.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jane S said:

A few sisterly footnotes:

I think Fraser (as a guest artist) and Hill in 1958 were the first women to do the Sisters - ironically it was Fraser's decision to leave the company in 1948 that  caused Ashton to decide that he and Helpmann should do them instead.  Women danced the roles the roles maybe 40 times over the next few years.

Moyra Fraser was trained at the Sadler's Wells School and had danced  Myrtha amongst other roles. She left to go into musicals etc and eventually became an actress - if you remember As Time goes By, she was Penny, Judi Dench's sister-in-law.

Margaret Hill was in the Sadler's Wells Theatre Ballet/ touring Royal Ballet - she created the Girl in Macmillan's Solitaire.

There have been some rather good replacements for the Ashton Sister - I remember David Bintley in particular, and also liked Tim Matiakis ('a female Baldrick, all of whose cunning little plans went astray'), and Michael Coleman , but I think the Helpmann role is more difficult.

i was recently gifted some ROH programmes. Among them:

Cinderella 20 March 1954

Cinderella: Margot Fonteyn

The Prince: Michael Somes

Stepsisters: Frederick Ashton, Peter Clegg

Cinderella: 14 December 1972

Cinderella: Merle Park

The Prince: Donald Macleary

Stepsisters: Frederick Ashton, Robert Helpmann

Cinderella: Kirov Ballet at ROH 09 September 1966

Cinderella: Irina Kolpakova

The Prince: Yuri Soloviev

Ugly Sisters: Natalia Makarova Kalerya Fedicheva

does anyone on the forum have any memories of these performances? 

• Thanks 2

What does everyone (who bought/read one) think of the current Cinderella programme, from ROH?

Can't say I was impressed when I took a glance - at all!! 6/8 pages (3/4 double spreads) of blurry, unidenifiable flower meadows. (??) Pages with blurry rehearsal photos (arty? - do me a favour, just get in a professional photographer!). You know you're in trouble when the synopsis is IN BIG PRINT to fill out more space....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

What does everyone (who bought/read one) think of the current Cinderella programme, from ROH?

Can't say I was impressed when I took a glance - at all!! 6/8 pages (3/4 double spreads) of blurry, unidenifiable flower meadows. (??) Pages with blurry rehearsal photos (arty? - do me a favour, just get in a professional photographer!). You know you're in trouble when the synopsis is IN BIG PRINT to fill out more space....

Yes, I bought a programme for the first time in ages and was very unimpressed. The articles are OK (though there's a typo re one of the contributors' names - Compton instead of Crompton - which is a bit rubbish) but all the flowery double-page nothing spreads are frankly ridiculous. Contribute nothing at all. If they weren't willing to use proper photos relating to this production it would have been better to have had lots of lovely photos of previous productions and all the illustrious dancers who have performed in it. Or just have a shorter, cheaper programme...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I don't mind the blurry flowers separating each section.....what I found incredibly jarring was the unidentified headless torso clutching some flowers

I bought a programme yesterday and was actually going to post separately on this, as I was so disappointed with the content. I agree, the full pages of blurry flowers are close to an insult. I want photos of the dancers actually performing in the production. Even the rehearsal photos are disappointing. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

i was recently gifted some ROH programmes. Among them:

Cinderella 20 March 1954

Cinderella: Margot Fonteyn

The Prince: Michael Somes

Stepsisters: Frederick Ashton, Peter Clegg

Cinderella: 14 December 1972

Cinderella: Merle Park

The Prince: Donald Macleary

Stepsisters: Frederick Ashton, Robert Helpmann

Cinderella: Kirov Ballet at ROH 09 September 1966

Cinderella: Irina Kolpakova

The Prince: Yuri Soloviev

Ugly Sisters: Natalia Makarova Kalerya Fedicheva

does anyone on the forum have any memories of these performances? 

I just missed the 12/72 performance- was there the night before and the matinee 2 days later - Ashton/Helpmann both times.

(Totally off topic:

I checked the programme for that month in D&D and you could have seen:

5 casts in Cinderella

3 casts in Fille

3 casts in Swan Lake

3 Giselles,with either Symphonic Variations or Afternoon of a Faun

1 triple bill: Firebird/Faun/Raymonda Act3.

That is if you had any money left over after the month before, when you could have seen more Filles and Swan Lakes (2 with Fonteyn), Job, Bayadere Act 3, Dances at a Gathering, and a gala incuding Makarova in Les Sylphides  and the Don Q pd2, and Fonteyn in Birthday Offering.

Back to topic...)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

I just missed the 12/72 performance- was there the night before and the matinee 2 days later - Ashton/Helpmann both times.

(Totally off topic:

I checked the programme for that month in D&D and you could have seen:

5 casts in Cinderella

3 casts in Fille

3 casts in Swan Lake

3 Giselles,with either Symphonic Variations or Afternoon of a Faun

1 triple bill: Firebird/Faun/Raymonda Act3.

That is if you had any money left over after the month before, when you could have seen more Filles and Swan Lakes (2 with Fonteyn), Job, Bayadere Act 3, Dances at a Gathering, and a gala incuding Makarova in Les Sylphides  and the Don Q pd2, and Fonteyn in Birthday Offering.

Back to topic...)

Wow. That’s astounding! Symphonic & Giselle sounds like complete heaven….

Back to Cinderella. 

• Like 2

Just looking at availability for the week commencing 10th April - still a lot of seats in the stalls and the stalls circle. Perhaps an indication that £151 to £170 is just too much?

I'm looking forward to the evening of Friday 14th and might try for the Monday matinee - certainly another 25% off offer would tempt me !

• Like 2