Royal Ballet Promotions 2022

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this should be elsewhere or already mentioned! Just been watching a lovely short piece on BBC Wales about their first principal. And listening to what he has to say - someone do a full-length version of Maurice for the RB! If you watch it you’ll see why ...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

Apologies if this should be elsewhere or already mentioned! Just been watching a lovely short piece on BBC Wales about their first principal. And listening to what he has to say - someone do a full-length version of Maurice for the RB! If you watch it you’ll see why ...

I googled and this is online on BBC News! Thanks for the heads up! :) 

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Jan - thank you, but William doesn’t appear when I click this link. It features the boys in a ballet school in Bournemouth 🤔

Thanks Capybara, I've corrected the link in the original post.

• Like 1

While searching for something I was fascinated to come across this thread started in 2013 discussing whether the RB had too few Principals. https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/4728-royal-ballet-perilously-under-starred Such a change from the some discussions in the last year or two, including earlier in this thread, as to whether the RB now has rather too many Principals!

I've now come across a thread from 2012 which discusses whether the RB has too many Principals! I wonder if there's been any point when it's been considered that they had exactly the right number! (I gather a number of Principals left around 2012-3, to account for the differences of opinion in only a year.)

Edited by Dawnstar
Added 2nd paragraph.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it’s a fairly safe bet that Leticia Dias and Mariko Sasaki will be promoted this year.  

Might Leticia jump to first soloist from first artist given her casting next season … Mitzi Caspar in Mayerling and Sugar Plum Fairy ?

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I think it’s a fairly safe bet that Leticia Dias and Mariko Sasaki will be promoted this year.  

Might Leticia jump to first soloist from first artist given her casting next season … Mitzi Caspar in Mayerling and Sugar Plum Fairy ?

I think that would be a bit too quick, I'd be expecting Isabella Gasparini to become an FS first but I'm hoping Leticia will be a Soloist.

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Now the RB season has finished, are we expecting full details of further promotions etc. any time soon? 

The dancers are in work for another fortnight and are themselves hopeful of there being some news within that time frame .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the first soloist and soloist departures (Heap and Kay) and promotions to principal (Bracewell and Clarke), wondering who from the artists and first artists will be promoted.

From first artist to soloist, Lukas Braendsrod, Ashley Dean, Leticia Dias, Teo Dubreuil, Mariko Sasaki all feel like contenders.

From artist to first artist, Julia Roscoe, Sae Maeda, Giacomo Rovero, Joonhyuk Jun all feel like they are due a promotion. Perhaps Joe Aumeer, Harris Bell, Liam Boswell.

Does anyone have thoughts on who a first soloist contender might be? 

(Edit: apologies just read the whole thread properly and have seen that capybara got the ball rolling with a very similar post in May, didn't mean to duplicate!)

Edited by Clara_f
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clara_f said:

With the first soloist and soloist departures (Heap and Kay) and promotions to principal (Bracewell and Clarke), wondering who from the artists and first artists will be promoted.

From first artist to soloist, Lukas Braendsrod, Ashley Dean, Leticia Dias, Teo Dubreuil, Mariko Sasaki all feel like contenders.

From artist to first artist, Julia Roscoe, Sae Maeda, Giacomo Rovero, Joonhyuk Jun all feel like they are due a promotion. Perhaps Joe Aumeer, Harris Bell, Liam Boswell.

Does anyone have thoughts on who a first soloist contender might be? 

(Edit: apologies just read the whole thread properly and have seen that capybara got the ball rolling with a very similar post in May, didn't mean to duplicate!)

Agree with all of the above.  I would say Joseph Sissens is a definite contender for a male First Soloist.  Female, not sure.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tippytoes17 said:

Should we be expecting ROH to publish the promotions soon or is it still well off? I cant remember when they usually announce them as I know for the past couple of years it has been earlier than usual 🤣

I understand that the aim is to announce the promotions etc next week. I guess that it takes some time for all the interviews to take place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Sim said:

Agree with all of the above.  I would say Joseph Sissens is a definite contender for a male First Soloist.  Female, not sure.

Agreed!

For female my first choice would definitely be Romany Pajdak  - this is a ballerina with a very special quality and deserves many more solo roles....

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Sharon said:

Agreed!

For female my first choice would definitely be Romany Pajdak  - this is a ballerina with a very special quality and deserves many more solo roles....

I agree, Sharon….but because she has never been given those roles I doubt that she is in contention for promotion.  How I would love to be proved wrong though!  

• Like 9

I wish Paul a wonderful future and I congratulate him on a wonderful career! 

As promotions go, I think that Sissens will be promoted to first soloist (I think they are grooming him to be the next male principal, maybe after the Hirano/Campbell/McRae generation retire) and for the ladies I really hope they will promote Pajdak but realistically I think it will be either Storm-Jensen or Gasparini. 

For soloists I think Dias and Sasaki for the ladies and Braensrod and one of Donnelly/Dubreuil/Dixon (they seem all equally possible to me). 

To first artists Maeda, Roscoe and Lubach for the ladies and Jun, Nakao and Bell or Wergzyn. 

Of course no new promotion son the principal rank. 

Edited by Chiari
Grammar mistakes
  • Like 5

Guest oncnp

The announcement The Royal Ballet announces Company promotions, new joiners and leavers (roh.org.uk)

As previously announced, William Bracewell and Reece Clarke are promoted to Principal, the Company’s highest rank. They will feature in a wide variety of repertory during the 2022/23 Season.

Kevin O’Hare has also made the following promotions within the Company:

Joseph Sissens is promoted to First Soloist.

Annette Buvoli, Ashley Dean, Leticia Dias, Mariko Sasaki, Lukas B. Brændsrød, Leo Dixon, David Donnelly and Téo Dubreuil are promoted to Soloist.

Sophie Allnatt, Isabel Lubach, Sae Maeda, Julia Roscoe, Charlotte Tonkinson, Joonhyuk Jun, Joshua Junker, Taisuke Nakao and Giacomo Rovero are promoted to First Artist.

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The announcement The Royal Ballet announces Company promotions, new joiners and leavers (roh.org.uk)

As previously announced, William Bracewell and Reece Clarke are promoted to Principal, the Company’s highest rank. They will feature in a wide variety of repertory during the 2022/23 Season.

Kevin O’Hare has also made the following promotions within the Company:

Joseph Sissens is promoted to First Soloist.

Annette Buvoli, Ashley Dean, Leticia Dias, Mariko Sasaki, Lukas B. Brændsrød, Leo Dixon, David Donnelly and Téo Dubreuil are promoted to Soloist.

Sophie Allnatt, Isabel Lubach, Sae Maeda, Julia Roscoe, Charlotte Tonkinson, Joonhyuk Jun, Joshua Junker, Taisuke Nakao and Giacomo Rovero are promoted to First Artist.

+ 

As a result of the pandemic, the 2020/21 Aud Jebsen Young Dancer programme was extended to enable dancers the opportunity to gain experience performing with the Company. That Season’s intake – Denilson Almeida, Daichi Ikarashi, James Large, Hanna Park, Maddison Pritchard and Marianna Tsembenhoi - now become Artist, joined by Viola Pantuso from the 2021/ 22 cohort.  Olivia Findlay, Ava May Llewellyn and Alix Van Tiggelen have had their Aud Jebsen Young Dancer contracts extended into the new Season.

For the 2022/23 Season, five graduates from The Royal Ballet School join the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme: Alicia Rose Couvrette, Martin Diaz, Luc Foskett, Scarlett Harvey and Ella Newton Severgnini.

Marco Masciari, the Prix de Lausanne dancer for the 2020/21 Season, also joins the Company as an Artist.

Darrion Sellman graduate of the Princess Grace Academy in Monaco and gold medallist at the 2022 Prix de Lausanne, joins as the Prix de Lausanne dancer for the 2022/23 Season.

• Like 11

Someone also posted on Instagram that Lesley Collier was retiring.  Has anyone else seen/heard this??

Such a wonderful ballerina and such an asset and treasured coach  - she will be truly missed. 

• Like 5

Just now, capybara said:

Just as I had hoped. Thrilled for all the promotees and joiners.

Indeed! But also disappointed for several who missed out this time around. I suppose this is always the way...Kevin has very difficult choices to make!

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting quite so many promotions to Soloist. I think pretty much everyone that has been previously mentioned on here as possible Soloist promotees have in fact been promted! I'm particularly pleased for Dias & Donnelly, while among the promotions to First Artist I'm particularly pleased to see Allnatt & Jun. Interesting that Pantuso is being promoted to Artist while the other 3 are continuing as Young Dancers. I will say that Pantuso is the one of the four who has stood out in the corps this season for me.

• Like 2