Royal Ballet Promotions 2022

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Um, I very much doubt the Sunday Times paid the Royal Ballet actual money to get the article. We're not exactly talking  the long-lost identical twin to Coleen Rooney, who has suddenly surfaced in order to scupper her twin's defence by admitting it was she, not Rebekah Vardy, who sold the stories about Mrs Rooney to the tabloids (case has been covered in the Guardian, which I read regularly).

There may be some sort of PR quid pro quo involved, but money? Not for an arts story, in my experience, which as a freelance ranges over nearly 40 years. If someone can prove my scepticism to be unfounded, happy to be corrected. 

I can prove it, it’s all here on my phone….oh no I’ve just dropped it in to the North Sea 🌊 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, ctas said:

Congratulations to both dancers, very very deserved and a lovely way to announce it with the nice photo of the two! (Weird headline though!) 

For what it’s worth - An official article, no doubt with the participation of the press office, is not a leak. They would’ve had full information on when it was to go to press/go online. 

Like many papers, the Times/ST headlines really go for the clickbait these days and don’t bear much resemblance to the article contents. The one on Natalia Osipova today is similar, focussing on a small aspect of the interview content.

9 minutes ago, AnneL said:

Like many papers, the Times/ST headlines really go for the clickbait these days and don’t bear much resemblance to the article contents. The one on Natalia Osipova today is similar, focussing on a small aspect of the interview content.

And a picture of Carlos Acosta credited as Matthew Golding….

Fantastic news - really well deserved! I am thrilled for both Reece Clarke and William Bracewell - two fabulous dancers who have worked so hard this season.

I agree they bring styles and strengths that are in some ways different from other male principals (and from each other), which is to be welcomed, in my opinion. I don't feel comfortable, though, with the view that they fit some notion of the danseur noble type, while other principals don't - or at least would suggest that this assumption might be based on a dated and questionable stereotype of what is 'princely'.

I see all the male principals as princely, in different ways - and love the differences.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AnneL said:

I have to admit, I was a little surprised at the headline. It was rather 'tabloidesque' and made me groan! 

14 minutes ago, AnnabelCharles said:

I don't feel comfortable, though, with the view that they fit some notion of the danseur noble type, while other principals don't - or at least would suggest that this assumption might be based on a dated and questionable stereotype of what is 'princely'.

I see all the male principals as princely, in different ways - and love the differences.

Yes indeed. Just because a male dancer isn't particularly tall, which I believe is a significant characteristic of the 'danseur noble' it shouldn't mean that they are relegated to certain types of roles based on height, when they have so many other incredible technical and dramatic qualities that are definitely suited to principal roles. I recall Steven McRae saying in a podcast that he was told to dye his hair darker in order to make himself look more 'princely' and that he was initially made to feel a bit self conscious about his height. 
Well, look at him now - excelling in the princely roles, as well as many others! It definitely doesn't affect his partnering ability. I love that the male (and female) principals of the RB have such differences which make them all unique and interesting performers.

Edited by art_enthusiast

DH and I have an ongoing joke about "today's gratuitous Ballet photo" in the Times. Based on the historical comments about page three topless photos in the Sun. But seriously there are frequently ballet related photos and articles in all sections of the Times even to illustrate financial articles or world news! We have a print copy and so automatically get the online version. It can be interesting to read the comments and an ongoing complaint is that the subs appear not to have read the article before attaching a ridiculous click bait headline!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FionaE said:

I see the photo I posted has been removed.   This forum has out of date ‘rules’ IMO. 

Considering the source and the photographer were acknowledged, it should be allowed.  The world has changed.  BCF should too.  Photographers know that they lose control of a photo in this new digital world once it’s published, but they do appreciate it being shared widely if credited.  

The rules are not out of date. The photograph is subject to copyright, both the photographer’s and the newspaper’s.

If you wish to take over this forum and assume full responsibility, I’m sure that can be arranged. At present I have no desire to be sued and potentially lose everything I have worked hard for (and maybe even my job).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capybara said:

Shall we do what we usually do at this time of year and list our personal bets for promotion at the RB?

To get the ball rolling, I think that we shall see a least some of the following wonderful artists moving upwards:

to First Soloist: Joseph Sissens (perhaps)

to Soloist: Lukas B Braensrod; Mica Bradbury; Ashley Dean; Leticia Dias; Leo Dixon; David Donnelly; Hannah Grenell; Mariko Sasaki; also Annette Buvoli and Teo Dubreuil (both of whom had long periods of injury)

to First Artist: Isabel Lubach; Joonhyuk Jun; Sae Maeda; Julia Roscoe - but so many others worthy of promotion as well

I am wondering whether it will be possible for all of the double year of Aud Jebsen Young Dancers to be taken into the company but it would be invidious to speculate over names at that level.

Out of possible Soloists my first pick would be Donnelly. In fact I have several times forgotten that he's not already a Soloist. I've enjoyed his performances in a number of roles but above all as Lensky & Hilarion. I'd also love to see Dias get another promotoion but as she was only promoted a year ago I wonder if she might have to do another year before another promotion.

If I may be invidious, I hope that Marianna Tsembenhoi, Viola Pantuso & Daichi Ikarashi are among the Young Dancers who get Artist contracts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

perhaps they need them confirmed as promoted, before they tour (where they don't seem to like having the leads as non-Principals)

Yes - I wondered about that. It has certainly been a factor in Japan in the past.

Edited by capybara

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Has William Bracewell danced in Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake? Otherwise how has he become a swan?  

The article in the ST was seemingly written by a general reporter, not one of their ballet 'experts'.

But, hey, there's probably no such thing as bad publicity where ballet and ballet dancers are concerned. And both Reece and Will will have had a deservedly lovely day with hundreds of congratulations on their social media posts.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

Excellent news (a surprise to anyone??)

Gobsmacked.  Absolutely did not see that coming.  NOT :)

In fact, had Thursday's live relay of Swan Lake not been designated as celebrating Lauren Cuthbertson's 20 [sic] years with the company, I would have been wondering whether Kevin O'Hare was going to break with tradition and promote Bracewell onstage.

12 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Hearing of those Instagram announcements, do I take it that there are no female promotions?  

With three last season, I should hope not - it was time the men caught up.

Congratulations to both men - very much deserved.  And it's great that both are British, too.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

I can prove it, it’s all here on my phone….oh no I’ve just dropped it in to the North Sea 🌊 

Titter ye not, Rob S, it is entirely possible for important possessions to disappear into a wide expanse of water, as I can personally testify, having managed to drop my passport into the murky depths of the Grand Canal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Titter ye not, Rob S, it is entirely possible for important possessions to disappear into a wide expanse of water, as I can personally testify, having managed to drop my passport into the murky depths of the Grand Canal. 

Oh dear! Let's hope it's not needed soon as evidence in a major (or rather, high-publicity) court case 😄

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I can't find a way to register to read two articles...only to sign up for a free month

Could you perhaps have registered at some time in the past and so you only need to sign in?

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

Could you perhaps have registered at some time in the past and so you only need to sign in?

Ahaaaaaa!!! It's worked, thank you.

• Like 2

Sadly, I've just had an online chat with the times.  They no longer offer the facility to register for 2 free articles per week.

If someone subscribes to The Times they can send you a share token but I believe the link is only live for a couple of weeks.

21 hours ago, capybara said:

Shall we do what we usually do at this time of year and list our personal bets for promotion at the RB?

To get the ball rolling, I think that we shall see a least some of the following wonderful artists moving upwards:

to First Soloist: Joseph Sissens (perhaps)

to Soloist: Lukas B Braensrod; Mica Bradbury; Ashley Dean; Leticia Dias; Leo Dixon; David Donnelly; Hannah Grenell; Mariko Sasaki; also Annette Buvoli and Teo Dubreuil (both of whom had long periods of injury)

to First Artist: Isabel Lubach; Joonhyuk Jun; Sae Maeda; Julia Roscoe - but so many others worthy of promotion as well

I am wondering whether it will be possible for all of the double year of Aud Jebsen Young Dancers to be taken into the company but it would be invidious to speculate over names at that level.

capybara your choices  closely reflect  my own, although I do agree with others that it seems a bit early for Joseph Sissens to move up again. 

The  promotion of your 6 ladies  from First Artist to Soloist would theoretically allow space for 3 more to be promoted from Artist to First Artist in addition to Isabel Lubach, Sae Maeda and Julia Roscoe ; I would suggest Yu Hang, Katharina Nikelski and Charlotte Tonkinson. But as you say, there are so many worthy of promotion, including several amongst  the most recent (2020) cohort.  Hopefully there will be more moves up from Artist to First Artist, so allowing entry room for the double year of  Aud Jebsen Young Dancers, as you mention.   

Edited by Richard LH
In last sentence.. "Artist to First Artist" not "First Artist to Soloist"
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

The ROH Instagram has just shared the promotion news, along with some excellent photos.

Surprisingly this is also now on the ROH News  webpage (in recent times this has not been  the most informative  source)! https://www.roh.org.uk/news

At least the ROH have avoided the sort of daft headline that appeared in The Sunday Times.

Such great news though, vindicating the levels of support and appreciation shown for these two on this Forum. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

I know that this thread is about the two new male principals (congratulations again to them!) - I just wanted to ask about Valentino Zucchetti, who I believe is currently a first soloist. Is he currently guesting with another company or working mainly on choreography? I don't think I've seen him much at all this season, after his appearance as the Prince in the Nutcracker 2021 was cancelled.

I may have this wrong but doesn’t he work a lot at the Royal Ballet School these days 🤔

Have no idea whether he’s announced his retirement from performing though or whether he’s been injured etc? 

• Like 1