Royal Ballet Promotions 2022

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I know that this thread is about the two new male principals (congratulations again to them!) - I just wanted to ask about Valentino Zucchetti, who I believe is currently a first soloist. Is he currently guesting with another company or working mainly on choreography?

He's just worked with the La Scala School in Milan on a piece for one of their shows.

https://www.accademialascala.it/news/la-scuola-di-ballo-omaggia-loreta-alexandrescu/

I've stuck this very quickly through Google Translate, but the bit about his work roughly reads: 

The second creation is authored by Valentino Zucchetti, specially designed for the Ballet School. Canon Allegro engages on the first movement of the Concerto for violin and orchestra, op. 64 by Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy fourteen dancers, eleven boys and three girls aged between 16 and 18, from the 6th to the 8th course, in a succession of steps that require great technical and expressive skills.

His last Instagram post is about working with the Compañia Nacional de Danza in Spain, for a piece called 'Where you are, I feel', set to premiere in November or December 2022. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I know that this thread is about the two new male principals (congratulations again to them!) - I just wanted to ask about Valentino Zucchetti, who I believe is currently a first soloist. Is he currently guesting with another company or working mainly on choreography? I don't think I've seen him much at all this season, after his appearance as the Prince in the Nutcracker 2021 was cancelled.

i was fortunate enough to bump into VZ a while ago (during the R&J run).  at the time he told me he was injured, hence no Nutcracker, but that if recovery/rehab went well he hoped to be back onstage for Swan Lake.  that hasn't been the case.  i know he has been choreographing several pieces and has more coming up in 2022 including one to be staged later this year as part of RB A Diamond Celebration in November so he's keeping busy. i don't have any up-to-date information as to when he might be back dancing but hope that he will be back soon.  

• Like 7

16 hours ago, alison said:

Gobsmacked.  Absolutely did not see that coming.  NOT :)

In fact, had Thursday's live relay of Swan Lake not been designated as celebrating Lauren Cuthbertson's 20 [sic] years with the company, I would have been wondering whether Kevin O'Hare was going to break with tradition and promote Bracewell onstage.

With three last season, I should hope not - it was time the men caught up.

Congratulations to both men - very much deserved.  And it's great that both are British, too.

Yes, it's great that they are British,  and also both trained at the Royal Ballet School all their lives.

Many, many congratulations to them both. So well deserved, I am truly delighted for them and the Royal Ballet. 

• Like 4

As the promotions will take effect from the start of next season I wonder if we can expect them both to debut in Mayerling? 

I sense Bracewell would give it a good go, I’m not sure if I see Clarke in the role but would be happy to be proven wrong. (Mayerling is not a ballet I am overly fond of but I would be intrigued to see the casting…) 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JNC said:

As the promotions will take effect from the start of next season I wonder if we can expect them both to debut in Mayerling? 

I sense Bracewell would give it a good go, I’m not sure if I see Clarke in the role but would be happy to be proven wrong. (Mayerling is not a ballet I am overly fond of but I would be intrigued to see the casting…) 

I would second Bracewell in Mayerling! 

With Watson and Bonelli both retired, there is space for at least two new Rudolfs - lots of casting possibilities... I could see Bracewell committing very well to the Macmillan choreography and would also dearly love to see Vadim test his acting chops further 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PeterS said:

i was fortunate enough to bump into VZ a while ago (during the R&J run).  at the time he told me he was injured, hence no Nutcracker, but that if recovery/rehab went well he hoped to be back onstage for Swan Lake.  that hasn't been the case.  i know he has been choreographing several pieces and has more coming up in 2022 including one to be staged later this year as part of RB A Diamond Celebration in November so he's keeping busy. i don't have any up-to-date information as to when he might be back dancing but hope that he will be back soon.  

I was chatting to VZ after Mayara Magri's SL debut and he said he hopes to be back dancing next season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pasdedeux said:

With Watson and Bonelli both retired, there is space for at least two new Rudolfs - lots of casting possibilities... I could see Bracewell committing very well to the Macmillan choreography and would also dearly love to see Vadim test his acting chops further 

And Marcelino, hopefully

16 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

And Marcelino, hopefully

Much as I love his dancing, I can't see him as Rudolf.  But happy to have my mind changed if he gets a crack at the role.  :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Much as I love his dancing, I can't see him as Rudolf.  But happy to have my mind changed if he gets a crack at the role.  :)

I recall him saying in an interview that it's a role he particularly wants to try! I think he mentioned it in the ROH magazine that came out last summer.

8 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I recall him saying in an interview that it's a role he particularly wants to try! I think he mentioned it in the ROH magazine that came out last summer.

Yes he did;  like most of the male dancers he would love to tackle this most challenging of roles.

1 minute ago, art_enthusiast said:

Indeed - I assume that those who haven't done it yet (out of the current male principals) are Sambé/Ball/Corrales/ Muntagirov/Campbell?

Ball and Hirano are the only remaining Rudolfs.

14 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Indeed - I assume that those who haven't done it yet (out of the current male principals) are Sambé/Ball/Corrales/ Muntagirov/Campbell?

Matthew Ball has done the role...brilliantly!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sim said:

Matthew Ball has done the role...brilliantly!

Totally agree. I felt that, last time round, he had taken the Rudolf baton from Edward Watson  - and then some....... But Ryoichi Hirano seems to have the cinema broadcast this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

And Steven McRae who did the cinema broadcast last time around (2018).

Was that performance also streamed during the first lockdown?

Steven McRae wouldn't have been my first choice for the role but I thought he was absolutely wonderful.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Was that performance also streamed during the first lockdown?

Steven McRae wouldn't have been my first choice for the role but I thought he was absolutely wonderful.

I have never forgotten that stupid, drunken, lecherous look he gave “Mitzi Caspar”. The first time I saw him dance a leading role, I thought he needed acting lessons. I certainly don’t think that now.

After a good few months enjoying this forum so much, I thought time to join and join in! It’s been so interesting and informative. As far as this thread goes, so delighted with the promotions. Happy to nail my WB colours to the mast! I would like to see his Colas, Albrecht and of course Des Grieux. But when I watched the Ashton Insight, and Hamlet and Ophelia, i

did think - now there’s a Rudolf ...

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

After a good few months enjoying this forum so much, I thought time to join and join in! It’s been so interesting and informative. As far as this thread goes, so delighted with the promotions. Happy to nail my WB colours to the mast! I would like to see his Colas, Albrecht and of course Des Grieux. But when I watched the Ashton Insight, and Hamlet and Ophelia, i

did think - now there’s a Rudolf ...

Hello Suffolkgal and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 22:35, JNC said:

I’m not sure if I see Clarke in the role

Did he not do rather well in Onegin though? I would think that might indicate suitability... I did book to see him but unfortunately he didn't turn up and I had to suffer through Roberto Bolle instead! 🙄🤩 (who I believe was considered not likely to be a good Onegin, and who I personally found wonderful). I'm pretty particular about Rudolf's, I want a lost and flawed human I feel sympathy for rather than an obnoxious madman who I am happy to see blow his brains out... I think caring about the characters is key to Mayerling, and maybe a reason so many can't understand its appeal? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ellyb said:

Did he not do rather well in Onegin though? I would think that might indicate suitability... I did book to see him but unfortunately he didn't turn up and I had to suffer through Roberto Bolle instead! 🙄🤩 (who I believe was considered not likely to be a good Onegin, and who I personally found wonderful). I'm pretty particular about Rudolf's, I want a lost and flawed human I feel sympathy for rather than an obnoxious madman who I am happy to see blow his brains out... I think caring about the characters is key to Mayerling, and maybe a reason so many can't understand its appeal? 

Think it depends whether you want the historical Rudolph or the balletic one. Bonelli.   definitely the former - anguished, more sympathetic, or Watson McRae, Soares more volatile, bordering on unhinged. .  I haven't seen enough of Bracewell to make a sensible view but I would have thought he would be in the first category. Reece Clarke I would certainly like to see in the role.Must admit I find it a particularly fascinating ballet and I look forward to seeing the casting for it

• Like 3

Just out of interest on the real Rudolf -  his tomb at the Kaisergruft (royal crypt) in Vienna is always covered with flowers - so clearly despite being a very troubled man there is still affection for him in Imperial Austria. And of course he was young - 30 I think? His utterly brutal upbringing explains a lot.  Anyway the crypt is the most extraordinary place in an amazing city.

it’s a troubling and disturbing ballet but I do love it and I can’t wait to see a new generation of dancers bring their own approach to the role. And the women- there are four great female roles as well. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

Just out of interest on the real Rudolf -  his tomb at the Kaisergruft (royal crypt) in Vienna is always covered with flowers - so clearly despite being a very troubled man there is still affection for him in Imperial Austria. And of course he was young - 30 I think? His utterly brutal upbringing explains a lot.  Anyway the crypt is the most extraordinary place in an amazing city.

it’s a troubling and disturbing ballet but I do love it and I can’t wait to see a new generation of dancers bring their own approach to the role. And the women- there are four great female roles as well. 

I have always been fascinated by his mother, the Empress Elizabeth, or Sissi, who met an equally tragic end. I believe there has been a ballet made about her life , but I don’t know anything about it. Having read a couple of biographies, I think her character would be an interesting one for a choreographer to tackle  and a fantastic leading role for a ballerina with a strong dramatic gift. 

• Like 2

There was a lot more to Rudolf than STDs, obsession and death. He was a serious naturalist with several publications and a notable collection of minerals to his credit, though I appreciate it would be rather difficult to show that on stage.

• Like 3

Yes she was a very interesting person- very sad life overall. Again in Vienna you can do a tour specifically about the cult that surrounds her. They compare her to our Diana as well and there are similarities. I think a ballet about her would be a great idea. She was a Bavarian princess and apparently Ludwig II (a cousin I think) wanted to marry her when they were young. Another candidate for a ballet!

• Like 1