Dance for Ukraine - Coliseum 19th March by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Annamicro! It is lovely to have Alina Cojocaru back on the London stage, fabulous to have Mathieu Ganio over from Paris, and I see Federico Bonelli has concurred with us about “keeping guesting and gala options open” and planning to dance in this. 😉😀

NB I notice it’s on the same day as the NHS thank you/Welcome Performance that he and Fumi Kaneko are dancing in.....I have visions of them both hopping on a taxi after the matinee with a sandwich, costumes bagged and over their shoulders, and heading to the Coliseum, makeup and hair still intact from Swan Lake! 

I wonder if Ivan Putrov will dance?  Fantastic initiative from him and Cojocaru- both graduates of the eminent ballet academy at Kyiv. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 9

That's amazing that Fumi and Fede are dancing Swan Lake in the afternoon then doing something else (maybe a pdd from SL?) that same evening.  Bravo to them and to all the dancers, musicians, backstage staff and the Coliseum for donating their services/venue to this excellent cause.  

• Like 11

Their chat facility - usually very good - is also full/unavailable. Apparently due to the two Cosi fan Tuttle cancellations ..... ENO is currently also having a Covid musical chairs problem like what BRB has recently had with Don Quixote and what RB & ENB had with Nutcracker in December and January. 

Edited by Emeralds

Ok, it’s worked now! Phew 😅.  The credit/debit card layout looks different to what I used in January and December for booking and (after the Covid musical chairs cancellations) rebooking Nutcracker and Raymonda. I guess it was probably just frozen because of high demand.

20 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Is anyone else trying to book and getting nowhere with the payment process?

16 minutes ago, annamk said:

YES

Hope your bookings are also successful now, Lizbie1 and Annamk. 

I'd like to think it was the huge outpouring of goodwill and enthusiasm for helping Ukraine rather than the demands to get refunds for Cosi that caused the temporary crash, although both are important in their own way. 😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Hope your bookings are also successful now, Lizbie1 and Annamk. 

I'd like to think it was the huge outpouring of goodwill and enthusiasm for helping Ukraine rather than the demands to get refunds for Cosi that caused the temporary crash, although both are important in their own way. 😁

Thank you - I eventually got a sketchy looking screen and sort of guessed what the fields were for! All seems to have gone through OK.

Maybe it's Kremlin-sponsored hackers to blame :)

• Like 1

Booked my ticket!  I also had problems logging into my ENO account to pay for my ticket but the very nice chap on the chatline sorted it out for me.  Speaking of Kaneko and Bonelli doing the matinee at the Royal Opera House beforehand, Maria Kochetkova, Jeffrey Cirio and Katja Khaniukova had a complete run of "Raymonda" ending at 6.30pm before the Ballet Icons gala in November (7pm start!) - and they took public transport from London City Island to the Coliseum.  There was a rather wonderful photo on Instagram of Kochetkova in her tiara on the tube (no seats so they stood)! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I realise it might not be logistically possible but if it was then it'd be nice if some of the dancers who have recently left Russia were invited to dance.

Yes - but the logistics are extremely complicated.

Let's just rejoice that Alina and Ivan have got this show 'on the road' in record time, that the audience will have a treat, and that money will be raised for such a worthy cause in Ukraine's hour of need.

• Like 6

Press Release  

Date of issue: Thursday 10 March 2022

INTERNATIONAL STARS COME TOGETHER FOR

‘DANCE FOR UKRAINE’ GALA IN LONDON

The London Coliseum – 7PM, Saturday 19 March 2022

https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/dance-for-ukraine/

• Charity gala to be directed by former Royal Ballet stars Ivan Putrov (Ukraine) and Alina Cojocaru (Romania)

• Dancers to include artists of The Royal Ballet, the Paris Opera Ballet and English National Ballet:  Marianela Nuñez (Argentina), Mathieu Ganio (France), Federico Bonelli (Italy), Francesco Gabriele Frola (Italy), Fumi Kaneko (Japan), Isaac Hernández (Mexico), Alina Cojocaru (Romania), Natalia Osipova (Russia), Reece Clarke (UK), Katja Khaniukova (Ukraine), Emma Hawes (USA)

Former Royal Ballet stars and impresarios Ivan Putrov (Ukraine) and Alina Cojocaru (Romania) today announce ‘Dance for Ukraine,’ a special benefit gala at the London Coliseum to raise funds for people in need in Ukraine. Proceeds from the event will go to Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC), Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal:  https://www.dec.org.uk

Produced by the dance charity Inspiration in Motion, the evening features artists from The Royal Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet and English National Ballet including Marianela Nuñez (Argentina), Mathieu Ganio (France), Federico Bonelli (Italy), Francesco Gabriele Frola (Italy), Fumi Kaneko (Japan), Isaac Hernández (Mexico), Alina Cojocaru (Romania), Natalia Osipova (Russia), Reece Clarke (UK), Katja Khaniukova (Ukraine), Emma Hawes (USA).  The full line-up and repertoire will be announced in due course.

All the participating dancers have donated their services. The English National Opera has waived its rental fee for the London Coliseum. The ENO Orchestra, Chorus and friends have volunteered to support the evening musically.

Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov trained together in Kyiv as young students before studying at London’s Royal Ballet School and entering The Royal Ballet, becoming amongst the youngest principal dancers throughout the Company’s history. With their dance journey originating in Kyiv, both artists wanted to show their love, admiration and support for friends and family by reaching out to their colleagues to dance to show support and raise funds for the victims of this terrifying conflict. 

Ivan Putrov said, ‘The Gala is about taking a stand for human values. Our unity strengthens the message. Everyone's participation will help someone just like them who found themselves in dire circumstances due to violence of war. Dance, music and art move the world, not violence. Since we, the artists, possess the gift - we must use it.’

Alina Cojocaru said, ‘Mere words can offer little in the face of such suffering and the loss of innocent human lives. Art, love and humanity have the power to inspire and even to heal.  In this spirit we will unite on the 19th to dance and offer what help we can.’

Dance for Ukraine

Date:                                   Saturday 19 March

Time:                                  7PM

Venue:                               The London Coliseum

Performers:                     

Marianela Nuñez (Argentina – The Royal Ballet)

Mathieu Ganio (France – Paris Opera Ballet)

Federico Bonelli (Italy – The Royal Ballet)

Francesco Gabriele Frola (Italy – English National Ballet)

Fumi Kaneko (Japan – The Royal Ballet)

Isaac Hernández (Mexico – English National Ballet)

Alina Cojocaru (Romania)

Natalia Osipova (Russia – The Royal Ballet)

Reece Clarke (UK – The Royal Ballet)

Katja Khaniukova (Ukraine – English National Ballet)

Emma Hawes (USA – English National Ballet)

Musicians:                        The ENO Orchestra, Chorus and Friends

Conductor:                       Alexander Ingram

Ticket prices:                   £15 – £100

Website:                            https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/dance-for-ukraine/

NOTES TO EDITORS

Ivan Putrov

Ivan Putrov was born in Kyiv, Ukraine to a ballet family. He trained at The Kyiv State Choreographic Institute and at The Royal Ballet School. Upon graduation Sir Anthony Dowell invited him to join the Company, where he became a Principal after three seasons. His repertory includes Principal roles in all the classics and ballets by MacMillan, Ashton, Balanchine, Fokine, Nijinsky, Tetley, Cranko, Bournonville, Robbins, Zamuel, Goleizovsky, McGregor, Forsythe, Kylián, Maliphant, Bourne, De Frutos, Petit and Duato. International appearances include leading roles with National Ballet Companies of Cuba, Hungary, Ukraine, Lithuania, England, Mexico, Georgia, Vienna Staatsoper, Asami Maki Ballet Theatre and with The Royal Ballet in many of the world’s most renowned theatres. Awards include Premier Prix at the Prix de Lausanne, Gold medal at the Serge Lifar International Ballet Competition, Gold Medal at the Nijinsky Festival, Critics’ Circle National Dance Award, Medal for Work and Achievement from the President of Ukraine and has been made an Honorary Artist of Ukraine. He has worked with Mario Testino, Johnnie Shand-Kidd, Philip Haas, Nick Knight, Gary Hume, Sam Taylor-Wood and Pet Shop Boys on photographic, film and other creative projects.

In 2011 the Pet Shop Boys wrote The Most Incredible Thing for Ivan. This ballet premiered at Sadler's Wells and was shown on BBC Television.   In 2012 Ivan conceived and produced 'Men in Motion' at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, the show explored a century of development of the male dancer in ballet theatre. Between 2012 & 2015 ‘Men in Motion’ had three successful runs in London, with additional performances in Italy, Moscow and Poland. In 2019 his production,  'Against the Stream', dedicated to those masters of ballet who were the changemakers, premiered at the London Coliseum to critical acclaim. In 2021 he produced the sold-out Ukrainian Ballet Gala at Sadler's Wells which brought Ukrainian dancers to partner stars of the London ballet scene and gave a spotlight to ballet in the Ukraine.

Alina Cojocaru

Born in Bucharest, Romania, Alina trained in Kyiv for seven years before joining the Royal Ballet School in 1997. She returned to Kyiv, as a principal dancer before joining The Royal Ballet Company in 1999. In 2001 Sir Anthony Dowell promoted Alina to the rank of principal dancer after her performance of Giselle.  Alina performed as a Leading Principal Dancer with the English National Ballet from 2013 until 2020. She continues to perform as a guest artist with companies worldwide and is a regular guest with the Hamburg Ballet. Alina has organised charity galas in Romania and London over the last few years. In 2012, Alina premiered her Alina Cojocaru - Dream Project in Tokyo, which she directed and staged, while performing alongside friends and colleagues from the Tokyo Ballet, Hamburg Ballet, ENB and The Royal Ballet, the first of three iterations. In 2015 Alina presented a charity Gala at the Lincoln Center in New York. In 2020 she presented her own programme Alina at the Wells at the Sadler's Wells in London.

Alina's extensive repertory includes all of the leading classical roles as well as the leading roles in the works of Ashton, MacMillan, Forsythe, Robbins, Neumeier, Ratmansky and many more. Many roles have been created for her including John Neumeier's works Liliom and Glass Menagerie, Akram Khan's Giselle and Johan Kobborg's Les Lutins. She has appeared as a guest artist with the world's leading companies including the Mariinsky Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, American Ballet Theater, Royal Danish Ballet, Hungarian National Ballet, Vienna State Opera, Zürich Ballet, National Ballet of Portugal, La Scala, National Ballet of Cuba, Teatro Colon, National Ballet of Romania, South African Ballet Theatre, Kremlin Ballet, Sarasota Ballet, Zagreb Ballet, The Tokyo Ballet and New National Ballet Company.

Since winning the Prix de Lausanne In 1997, Alina has won numerous awards Including

Critics' Circle Dance Award ( 2002 Best female dancer, 2018 outstanding female classical performance), Dance for You Magazine (2014 Best dancer), Taglioni-European Ballet Award (2014 Best female dancer), German Dance critics award (2012 Dancer of the year),  Benois de la Dance (2004 and 2012 Best female dancer), Ballerina of the Decade Award (Moscow 2010). In 2002 she was given the medal of Cavaler of Romania (Ordinul national ‘Pentru Merit’ in gradul de cavaler).

About the London Coliseum

The London Coliseum is the largest theatre in the West End, boasting 2,359 seats.

Built in 1904 by legendary theatre architect Frank Matcham, the glorious Edwardian architecture and interiors were magnificently restored in 2004. The theater has been home to the English National Opera since 1968, and hosts some of the best entertainment the capital has to offer.

English National Opera is the national opera company dedicated to one simple aim: making opera for everyone. Our work feels different, theatrical and creatively daring and we have been doing this to an internationally recognised standard since being founded in 1931 as Sadler’s Wells Opera.

Conveniently positioned in Theatreland, the theatre is near both Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square and benefits from the proximity of a number of tube stations and Charing Cross national rail station.

• Like 3

Here are the necessary details for anyone who is unable to attend and would like to donate to this worthy cause. Inspiration in Motion is the charity founded by Ivan Putrov and is separate from his company (Putrov Productions):

Bank: Co-operative Bank

Sort Code: 08-92-99

Account number: 65745601

Account name: Inspiration In Motion

Alternatively cheques can be made out to Inspiration In Motion and forwarded to:

Inspiration In Motion

Oaklands

Hampton Court Road

East Molesey

Surrey

KT8 9DA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After I had a problem with booking by using a credit card at first and then a debit card, which didn't work either, I phoned the Coliseum and they admitted that their online system didn't work properly. They sold a ticket to me on he phone and I can collect it before the performance. Wasted about 30 min. altogether but luckily got a ticket that I wanted.

• Like 2

I must confess to having trouble booking as well.  The online chat service was most helpful - reserving a ticket for me which I can later pay for either by phone or live.  

So hoping that some of the Ukrainian dancers from Putrov's wonderful Well's gala will be able to participate.  That would have truly significant impact given the cause - at least in my book.  

Such an important event to support.  So grateful for the opportunity.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

Relieved I wasn't the only one who had problems booking - thought it was my incompetence. I managed to make two donations without securing any seats! A very helpful person sorted it all out for me - and have the two seats I wanted. Agree - in awe of the people organising and those dancing. Also very grateful for the opportunity to support them and the cause.

• Like 5

Wow what a fanatic line up, bravo for them organising it so quickly! 

What a night it will be to see Cojocaru perform, and Bonelli post ‘retirement’ as well. 

Look forward to reading reviews from those who go! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JNC said:

Wow what a fanatic line up, bravo for them organising it so quickly! 

What a night it will be to see Cojocaru perform, and Bonelli post ‘retirement’ as well. 

Look forward to reading reviews from those who go! 

I think you mean fantastic!  😀

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Thank you - I eventually got a sketchy looking screen and sort of guessed what the fields were for! All seems to have gone through OK.

Maybe it's Kremlin-sponsored hackers to blame :)

Glad you got your ticket! I had one field that was blank initially too, but it simply wouldn’t let me proceed even after typing in the correct numbers. It worked on the fifth try! Hope it doesn’t put off other patrons, as it’s a great cause, excellent group of artists, and I’m sure Alina and Ivan have devised a great programme- they have previously done so in their other ventures. 

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

it's quicker to walk LOL

Tip: Don’t use the Strand, PeterS - common novice mistake. For vehicles, Bedford St, Garrick Street, then St Martins Lane is much faster. 3minutes in normal traffic, 10 minutes at most in evening rush hour. Still faster than walking. Of course, the taxi/cab is for protecting the costumes and (after a three-hour full length Swan Lake), ligaments and tendons, rather than speed. There should be more than enough time between both shows. 

NB the press release says 7pm but the Coliseum website is saying 7.30pm. I’m guessing the latter is the correct one, but will double check nearer the day. Kudos to Ivan and Alina for planning a show so quickly and many thanks to ENO for making the Coliseum available. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3