Dance for Ukraine - Coliseum 19th March by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov

Sadly sold out before I had time to ask for a ticket for my birthday.....phoned box office, said it's just a case of constantly refreshing page in off-chance anything comes up! Fingers crossed...otherwise will hope that there is a filmed online option as am sure that will massively increase it's reach & thus sum raised!

• Like 3

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't expecting that. The partnership rather than the rep, I mean. I was expecting Clarke to be dancing with either Osipova or Kaneko. Though as at the moment there are 4 RB female Principals on the dancer list & only 2 RB male Principals, maybe each man will be partnering 2 of the women.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I wasn't expecting that. The partnership rather than the rep, I mean. I was expecting Clarke to be dancing with either Osipova or Kaneko. Though as at the moment there are 4 RB female Principals on the dancer list & only 2 RB male Principals, maybe each man will be partnering 2 of the women.

Your probably already know but Nunez regular gala partner is otherwise engaged in a Giselle marathon with the Cape Town City Ballet

Edited by oncnp

1 minute ago, PeterS said:

Amongst the visiting instructions received for the Coliseum on Saturday evening is this little gem:

Bars will be open throughout the performance, and you may come and go from your seat as you wish.”

Let's hope they mean between numbers!

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I know Muntagirov is in South Africa. I was thinking Nunez might dance with Bonelli, given they've recently done R&J together. Maybe even do one of the R&J pdds. However my tentative predictions were evidently completely off.

Yeah I had my money on Bonelli & Kaneko doing Swan Lake and Osipova & Clarke doing R&J. It's a good thing I'm not a gambling man!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Amongst the visiting instructions received for the Coliseum on Saturday evening is this little gem:

Bars will be open throughout the performance, and you may come and go from your seat as you wish.”

How could that even be possible?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I hope so, I'm at the end of a row and I will not be pleased if I have to get up to let people out if people are wanting to get drinks while there's dancing going on.  

I'm similarly one in from the end of a row & I won't be pleased if I have to do it between numbers, let alone when dancing is happening.

I'm also not very happy about this in the email "Main doors and all bars will open at 18.00. Please arrive as early as possible and no later than 15 minutes before the performance starts." I was intending to enter the building about 10 minutes beforehand, as I've been doing at the ROH since covid. I want to spend as little time as possible in a busy auditorium & lobbies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm similarly one in from the end of a row & I won't be pleased if I have to do it between numbers, let alone when dancing is happening.

I'm also not very happy about this in the email "Main doors and all bars will open at 18.00. Please arrive as early as possible and no later than 15 minutes before the performance starts." I was intending to enter the building about 10 minutes beforehand, as I've been doing at the ROH since covid. I want to spend as little time as possible in a busy auditorium & lobbies.

Yes I saw that and boggled. I will be eating beforehand and was planning to be there about 7pm.  I mean who wants to hang around a theatre before the show starts for ages? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine arriving 10 minutes before. I don't see them barring entry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

Yes I saw that and boggled. I will be eating beforehand and was planning to be there about 7pm.  I mean who wants to hang around a theatre before the show starts for ages? 

Presumably people who'd rather spend lots of time at the bar than watcing the performance, as then they get to spend even more time at the bar!!

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine arriving 10 minutes before. I don't see them barring entry.

I'm pretty sure I arrived less than 15 mins beforehand for Raymonda & that was fine. There wasn't even much of a queue.

18 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I wonder if there really are more names to be announced? Considering that it's 48 hours away

If there are only the 11 dancers who have been announced then I'm not sure how they're going to fill the stated "Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes, including an interval". I haven't been to many ballet galas but the sorts of items performed average at, what, about 5 minutes each? So that would only be 55 minutes if each dancer was performing alone & they're presumably more likely to be mostly performing in pairs. Even allowing time for a speech about Ukraine & curtain calls they surely must need more dancers. That is unless the interval's well over an hour long, which I devoutly hope it isn't!

• Like 2

The option of leaving and returning to seats normally applies to relaxed performances, as does the early arrival time. 

It looks as if the wrong set of instructions has been sent out. But, surely, the audience on Saturday will be committed to watching the performance….?

I believe that there are many more than 11 dancers participating. 

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

My guess is that the early arrival time is because it will be a full house and with the Coli's limited entrances they're wary of large numbers of people arriving just before the show starts.

It seems highly likely that there will be more than 11 dancers, but they may not be announced beforehand.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Presumably people who'd rather spend lots of time at the bar than watcing the performance, as then they get to spend even more time at the bar!!

You might be right.  Theatre drinks prices always make me wince so I tend to eat beforehand and bring a bottle of water with me if I think it's going to be warm.  It's a combination of not liking the prices and not wanting to have to queue for the toilet for ages if I drink a lot of water.  

I hope there will be more performers otherwise it will be a very short show.  I will bring a good book in case the interval is very long.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If there are only the 11 dancers who have been announced then I'm not sure how they're going to fill the stated "Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes, including an interval". I haven't been to many ballet galas but the sorts of items performed average at, what, about 5 minutes each? So that would only be 55 minutes if each dancer was performing alone & they're presumably more likely to be mostly performing in pairs. Even allowing time for a speech about Ukraine & curtain calls they surely must need more dancers. That is unless the interval's well over an hour long, which I devoutly hope it isn't!

Maybe the interval is an hour and a half long!!😕

The idea that people would be invited to go to the bar as and when they fancy it is ridiculous...do they think they're the Hammersmith Apollo!?  Are we going to be patted down and have to go through airport security too?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The idea that people would be invited to go to the bar as and when they fancy it is ridiculous...do they think they're the Hammersmith Apollo!?  Are we going to be patted down and have to go through airport security too?

Given the problems the Coliseum apparently had with drunken audiences when Bat Out Of Hell ran there, I would have thought they'd be scared off for life from encouraging audience members to drink a lot! If they search us then I hope they don't make me throw away my bottled water for fear it's vodka or something! (Is vodka the clear one? As a lifetime teetotaller, my knowledge of alcohol is minimal.)

• Like 1

I think they might well have said that during Nutcracker and Raymonda as well, but I never planned to follow it 😊. Although we did actually arrive 25minutes early for Raymonda by chance! You should be ok 10minutes beforehand, Dawnstar. 

• Like 1

I wish I could be there but can't- I look forward to a full report, and I am sure it will be a memorable evening.

The main thing is- the cause, and it can't be easy organising at such short notice. So let's hope all goes well and good luck to all involved!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Given the problems the Coliseum apparently had with drunken audiences when Bat Out Of Hell ran there, I would have thought they'd be scared off for life from encouraging audience members to drink a lot! If they search us then I hope they don't make me throw away my bottled water for fear it's vodka or something! (Is vodka the clear one? As a lifetime teetotaller, my knowledge of alcohol is minimal.)

Yes, vodka is the clear one . But anyone who works in security should be able to tell the difference between water and vodka, due to the difference in weight and specific gravity- water swishes around, whereas vodka leaves a sort of alcoholic stain on the container and feels heavier. 😉 I certainly hope the invitation to leave one’s seat whenever one wants is an error and they announce that it’s wrong, as I don’t think the fans will be impressed by the disruption. I bet a few people behind might whisper “sit down” and start hissing if anyone tried to do it before an interval! Especially when so many seats are £100!  

• Like 2

How about we don't assume that people will be constantly in and out during numbers and legless by the interval? Or that there will only be eleven dancers (though in the circumstances I wouldn't mind!), or that they expect us all to wait around in the lobbies for ages beforehand.

It's a great line-up for an extraordinarily good cause that's been thrown together in about three weeks, start to finish. I count myself lucky to have a ticket regardless of what's on stage and far luckier still to live in immeasurably better conditions than the people this concert is in aid of.

• Like 10

I'm pretty sure I arrived less than 15 mins beforehand for Raymonda & that was fine. There wasn't even much of a queue.

There’s actually a lot of time spent applauding at galas, so that’s how the time fills up. Eg a lot of applause after the adagio of the pas de deux. A lot of applause after the man’s solo. Ditto the woman’s solo. Very prolonged applause after the coda. (I am also betting that Bonelli’s applause might go on even longer than that, as everyone knows he’s retiring!) People generally don’t mind, and although it might seem like too much clapping, once you’re in the show, you find yourself being part of the prolonged applause too! 

At some galas I have also seen some dancers performing more than one item, eg with a different partner, or a group dance. 

In fact, my experience with galas is that they tend to overrun, so 11 dancers might mean they actually stick to finishing on time. But what I do know is  that Alina has always planned great galas- the repertoire selections are always interesting and don’t feel “same old, same old”, and while I’ve not been able to attend one of Ivan’s yet, I know he programmes interesting pieces too. It’s possible they may have a few dancers whose names they’re not announcing yet until they’re sure they can make it. No gala I’ve been to has ever had the full line up announced beforehand. Occasionally there have been a few substitutes too. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mary said:

Perhaps before we get too embroiled in all this worry about drinks etc, we should remember what this is all about and what's going on in Ukraine- the bombing of the theatre there- the horror.

I don’t think people will actually be walking out during the dancing to get drinks, to be honest- gala audiences are generally considerate and probably want to watch the dancing themselves. I suspect the wrong set of instructions just got emailed out.

I think what might be a more likely scenario is that security at the theatre will be stepped up and more thorough bag searches, for example, following the bombing of the Mariupol theatre and the knowledge that the event also has a political angle as well as a humanitarian aim. But audiences won’t mind that as everyone wants to be safe. If that means taking more time, then the show generally only starts once every patron’s security and ticket checks have been done and they have been seated, even if that’s later than 7.30. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the fact that they are inviting audience members to visit the bars throughout the performance is because they are trying to avoid large crowds gathering there during the interval. I have had an email from another venue reminding the audience that they don't need to wait until the interval to visit the toilets.

Alina has posted a new poster with more information of dancers: Luca Acri, Aitor Arrieta, Rebecca Bassett-Graham, William Bracewell, Fernando Carratála Coloma, Reece Clarke, Mathias Dingman, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Mathieu Ganio, Emma Hawes, Fumi Kaneko, Katja Khaniukova, Mayara Magri, Alison McWhinney, Miki Mizutani, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Salvator de Simone, Junor Souza, Javier Torres and Marianna Tsembenhoi.

FC56EF41-9B0E-4ED1-BEFF-04E480380F9A.jpeg

Edited by MaddieRose
Spelling
  • Like 8