Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Glad to hear Cesar might be getting something right for once!!! 
He does seem to me to get put down by the Forum a bit so nice to hear some positive news! 

I also gave positive news after his debut with Mayara!  Credit where credit is due!  These two performances of SL were the most complete I have seen him give.  And he gave…a lot!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Sim said:

I also gave positive news after his debut with Mayara!  Credit where credit is due!  These two performances of SL were the most complete I have seen him give.  And he gave…a lot!

I haven't been that keen on him in the past, but that neater haircut must have had a positive effect! His landing were still a bit heavy, but then he was coming down from a long way up! I'm now convinced.

A plaintive, beautiful act 2 from Yasmine Naghdi - and then a fizz-cracker of an act 3 gpdd from them both. Astounding stuff!

• Like 10

I thought Corrales was really on form tonight and well done to both for such an excellent performance with short notice for the partnership. From a technical point of view, anyone would have thought they'd been dancing together all their lives.

The act 3 pdd was most exciting in places and drew whoops. My nephew was impressed with his first SL and kept marvelling at their 'amazing twirls'.

I do think slow tempo is rather dragging down act 2 still though.

What a fine dancer Calvin Richardson is now, - the earlier comments about his  lovely lines really were spot on. Most elegant and refined dancing, surely a prince.

(I must say a word of thanks to the lovely staff at ROH for their kindness and welcoming attitude to my teenage nephew- very good. The cloakroom lady said the skateboard was 'a first' but 'a diverse audience was their aim'!)

• Like 26

1 hour ago, AnticaFiamma said:

She had excellent chemistry with Clarke in the Tchaikovsky Pas des Deux on Saturday, I'm sure it will be a very special night

Can not agree more! I bought the ticket just now.  I do look forward to tomorrow's performance.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, alison said:

Such a shame that there have to be all these late cast changes - it must be very difficult for the dancers :( 

Of course (as seen in the Insight), Osipova plays a key part in The Weathering which opens on Thursday night.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PatC said:

I’m trying to remain calm here - I missed her in 2020 due to shutdown and I’m missing her again tomorrow ….😩

Ah such a shame Pat. I missed Osipova & Hallberg in 2020 by one day if I recall correctly. It is disappointing.

36 minutes ago, Shade said:

Ah such a shame Pat. I missed Osipova & Hallberg in 2020 by one day if I recall correctly. It is disappointing.

Me too! Two days, Shade.... I am still gutted about that and keep hoping that maybe David will bring Australian Ballet here on tour and dance it (with Natalia or with an Australian Ballet ballerina)!  For me, the U.K. lockdown will always be remembered as beginning on 16 March (the Monday afternoon) even if the press and Westminster say it began on 23 March - I’m sure the poor restauranteurs feel the same. Their performance of Swan Lake was to have been Wed 18 March.

1 hour ago, PatC said:

I’m trying to remain calm here - I missed her in 2020 due to shutdown and I’m missing her again tomorrow ….😩

I sympathise, Pat! But I am sure Osipova will be dancing Swan Lake again fairly soon in the future. It’s popular with ballerinas - I think she enjoys the role a lot, and it will never be out of the repertory. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Will Osipova still be performing in the Kyle Abraham work? As there's no actual cast list it's hard to tell.
I hope she hasn't had a serious injury.

My first thought during her solo at the Ukrainian gala when she stamped her foot down! I said to myself then ‘don’t mess that foot up!’

• Like 1

Nothing to do with anything really other than your comment Emeralds that March 16th 2020 was a significant date for you!! It was for me too!  
This was the date of the funeral of a much loved and admired Dance teacher….. as it happened in Brighton(although he didn’t live here)  Quite a few couldn’t attend that day because they saw Covid as a risk to travelling at that time before the official lockdown the following Monday! 
I also lost two performances at the ROH I’d been really looking forward to because of Covid. 

Edited by LinMM

22 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Nothing to do with anything really other than your comment Emeralds that March 16th 2020 was a significant date for you!! It was for me too!  
This was the date of the funeral of a much loved and admired Dance teacher….. as it happened in Brighton(although he didn’t live here)  Quite a few couldn’t attend that day because they saw Covid as a risk to travelling at that time before the official lockdown the following Monday! 
I also lost two performances at the ROH I’d been really looking forward to because of Covid. 

So sorry to hear about your late dance teacher.  😢 My condolences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Emeralds said:

keep hoping that maybe David will bring Australian Ballet here on tour and dance it (with Natalia or with an Australian Ballet ballerina)!

He (David Hallberg) is performing in the upcoming Kunstkamer programme, a collaboration between Sol Léon, Paul Lightfoot, Marco Goecke and Crystal Pite originally created for NDT. I am told it's a "non-dancing" role, although he is taking company class as evidenced on Instagram. If he's planning to return to classical roles, he hasn't shared such a plan with any of the people I know who might be "in the know".

I also think it will be at least two or three years before TAB tours overseas again, and it would be highly unlikely they would tour the Stephen Baynes Swan Lake, the company's current "traditional" version (as opposed to the Graeme Murphy version which I know some on the forum have seen).

Yes, I agree it will probably be some time before Australian Ballet is likely to tour Britain - their last trip was a couple of decades after their previous one. I was hopeful when he announced he would be in Kunstkamer, but we’ll see....after all, Jonathan Cope thought he wasn’t ever going to dance again after his first retirement, and ended up coming back to dance for some years.  Company class is a start. 😀 (Sorry about the interrupted reply....not sure why the first part posted prematurely!)

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Looking at tonight's cast sheet (just out of curiosity, I haven't been able to get a ticket), one of the dancers listed for the Act I waltz is unknown to me: Mayuko Maeda. Is she an RBS student? And is she any relation to Sae Maeda?

I'm sure there was a Mayuko Maeda in the company years ago, if I remember correctly she's one of the dolls in the Benjamin/Acosta Coppelia. But that was filmed in the early 2000s, so I doubt it's the same dancer.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Looking at tonight's cast sheet (just out of curiosity, I haven't been able to get a ticket), one of the dancers listed for the Act I waltz is unknown to me: Mayuko Maeda. Is she an RBS student? And is she any relation to Sae Maeda?

It may be a mistake for Sae....I believe there was a Mayuko Maeda at the RB some 20 years ago?  (sorry, posted at same time as MaddieRose)

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Having refreshed the cast list page a few times in the last half hour, I see it has now changed to Sae Maeda. I can understand perhaps getting current dancers' names mixed up but goodness knows how they managed to get the wrong name if the other dancer was at the RB about 20 years ago!

• Like 2

Mayuko Maeda was in the same RBS year as Bennet Gartside and played The Young Girl to his Young Man in The Two Pigeons. Laura Morera was The Gypsy Girl and Will Kemp the Gypsy Boy.

Mayuko joined the RB for a while ( from 1995 onwards, I think).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cesar Corrales gave another superb all-round performance this afternoon (dancing, musicality, partnering, acting & story-telling).  IMHO he did everything more than right and nothing wrong.  I've seen 2 of his 3 Siegfrieds this run and he really has evolved into a fascinating person to watch.  Very pleased to see this progression.

• Like 11