Press Release: Northern Ballet announces new Artistic Director

Coverage Briefing

31 January 2022

For immediate release

Northern Ballet announces new Artistic Director

Federico Bonelli, photo by Andrej Uspenski - ROH

Download images for press use

Northern Ballet has announced Federico Bonelli as the Company’s new Artistic Director. 

Federico is currently a Principal dancer at The Royal Ballet where he has enjoyed a career at the highest level, dancing the company’s leading roles. He trained at the Turin Dance Academy and danced with Zürich Ballet and Dutch National Ballet before joining The Royal Ballet in 2003. He has performed as a guest dancer with many leading companies around the world and has received several awards. 

In 2019 Federico graduated from the Clore Leadership Programme (The Clore Fellowship) and he is a non-executive director and member of the Board of Parents and Carers in Performing Arts (PiPA). He curated the programme for The Royal Ballet activities in Doncaster as part of the Doncaster Creates festival, prior to its pandemic postponement and has coached Royal Ballet repertory, helping to nurture and develop the high standards of the company’s dancers. He co-facilitates The Royal Ballet’s Inclusivity Focus Group and is a member of the external steering group of Chance to Dance, The Royal Ballet’s outreach talent development programme that aims to remove the barriers to a diverse talent pipeline into vocational training and the ballet and dance profession. 

On announcing the appointment Sir David Wootton, Chairman of Northern Ballet, said: 

‘The Board of Northern Ballet is delighted that Federico Bonelli is joining us as Artistic Director. Succession to David Nixon OBE, after the massive achievements of David’s 21 years as Artistic Director, has required and received a prolonged, thorough, wide-ranging and diverse search, supported by the best advice, which has resulted in an appointment of the highest quality. 

Federico joins us at the height of his career as a dancer with The Royal Ballet and he will bring to us the benefit of his experience there and at his previous companies, his manifest wish to establish a career with us in artistic leadership and a clear vision for the artistic future of Northern Ballet, enhancing and building on its classical foundations and taking us forward with new perspectives and new ideas.

I am grateful to those of my Board colleagues who have worked hard on this search, to the Northern Ballet dancers and staff who have also been involved, to our advisers and to Arts Council England for their engagement in the process. We are all very pleased with this appointment, which will do so much to set the direction for the brightest of futures for Northern Ballet.’

Federico himself said:

‘I am thrilled to be joining Northern Ballet as its new Artistic Director and I can’t wait to begin working with this exceptional group of dancers and creatives. Through its history and most recently under David Nixon’s distinguished directorship, Northern Ballet has rightly been renowned for its bold approach to narrative ballet, and it is an honour to build on this legacy.

We are at an exciting moment for the Company, which is based in Leeds and across the north, yet rooted in the whole of England and the UK. I cannot wait to leverage its wide-ranging touring to connect with wider audiences and bring outstanding ballet to as many people as possible. 

I have been very impressed by the Board and team’s vision and I am excited to lead on how best to bring a diversity of perspectives and experiences represented in the stories we tell on stage. I can’t wait to bring my ideas and contribution to the Company’s vibrant offering and propel it to its future successes.’

Mark Skipper, DL, Chief Executive of Northern Ballet, added: 

‘I could not be happier with the appointment of Federico Bonelli as Northern Ballet’s new Artistic Director. I am delighted that an artist of his calibre will be joining us in this role and look forward to working with him to take Northern Ballet to even greater heights over the coming years.’

Last year Northern Ballet announced that Artistic Director David Nixon OBE would be stepping down after more than 20 years at the helm. Federico will now begin to work closely with colleagues at Northern Ballet on vital future planning alongside fulfilling his existing commitments with The Royal Ballet. His tenure will begin formally on 1 May.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

FEDERICO BONELLI

Italian dancer Federico Bonelli is a Principal of The Royal Ballet. He joined the Company in 2003.

Federico was born in Genoa and grew up in Casale Monferrato, he trained locally and at the Turin Dance Academy. His awards include first prize at the Rieti International Ballet Competition and a Prix de Lausanne scholarship. He joined Zürich Ballet in 1996, promoted to Soloist in 1997. He joined Dutch National Ballet in 1999, promoted to Principal in 2002.

Federico’s repertory with The Royal Ballet includes all the classical ballets, Romeo, Daphnis, Lensky, Onegin, Palemon (Ondine), James (La Sylphide), Armand (Marguerite and Armand), Pierrot (Pierrot Lunaire), Des Grieux (Manon), Crown Prince Rudolf (Mayerling), Apollo, Aminta (Sylvia), Jack/Knave of Hearts (Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland), Malin (Age of Anxiety) and roles in After the RainPolyphoniaAgonRequiemTombeauxBallet ImperialHomage to The QueenVoluntariesFour TemperamentsTheme and VariationsSerenadeDances at a GatheringL’Invitation au voyage and Ballo della regina. His role creations for the Company include Polixenes (The Winter’s Tale), Dr Samuel-Jean Pozzi (Strapless), Victor (Frankenstein) and roles in ChromaDGV: Danse à grande vitesseLive Fire ExerciseAeternumThe Human SeasonsTetractysWoolf Works, Acosta’s Carmen and Multiverse.

In 2019 Federico graduated from the Clore Leadership Programme (The Clore Fellowship). He curated the programme for The Royal Ballet activities in Doncaster as part of the Doncaster Creates festival, prior to its pandemic postponement and has coached Royal Ballet repertory, helping to nurture and develop the high standards of the company’s dancers. Federico also co-facilitates The Royal Ballet’s Inclusivity Focus Group, a process that brings together dancers and management of the company to discuss all areas of Diversity and Inclusion, with the aim to influence strategic and operational decisions at The Royal Ballet.

Federico is a non-executive director and member of the Board of Parents and Carers in Performing Arts (PiPA), an Arts Council supported charity that promotes an arts sector that is inclusive of the parent and carer workforce. Furthermore, he is a member of the external Steering Group of Chance to Dance, The Royal Ballet’s outreach talent development programme that aims to remove the barriers to a diverse talent pipeline into vocational training and the ballet and dance profession.

Federico is a Professional Certified Coach (PCC).

NORTHERN BALLET

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and impressive storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible. Northern Ballet’s Company of dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.

Launched in 2019, Northern Ballet’s digital dance platform ensures more people can access their work, from full-length films of popular ballets through to exciting short dance films by up-and-coming choreographers and filmmakers. Visit digitaldance.org to discover more.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whats-on

Coverage Briefing
Coverage Briefing

Photo credit: Federico Bonelli, photo by Andrej Uspenski / ROH

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The RB’s loss is NB’s gain. Tantissimi cari auguri Federico…and thanks for all the years of artistic joy you have given us.  ❤️

So happy my daughter managed to get two Friday Rush tickets for tomorrow night as I guess this will be his last Romeo.  Sigh.  

And will his Month In The Country with Laura Morera be his last performance with the RB?  If so, it seems wholly appropriate that he should finish his RB career with her;  they have danced so beautifully together through the years.  

• Like 15

I’m relatively ‘new’ to being an NB fan as never seem able to make it to live performances (location/funding issues!) so it’s been cinema screenings I’ve watched....just adore the bold & stylistic narrative style & having always admired Bonelli as an actor as well as an amazing dancer - when been fortunate to see him dance live & on screen - it seems a perfect marriage!

A very happy joining to build on the fantastic base established by David Nixon OBE & his Artistic/Business teams & dancers. 

Wishing all well with their future ventures! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 5

Wow. Never expected that, but really interested to see what will happen!

Particularly interested that Bonelli has invested in leadership development via the Clore Foundation (ie Dame Duffield who also supports the ROH) - it's great to see this investment benefit other arts organisations in the long run, for the wider benefit of British ballet.

• Like 2

Unexpected indeed! I assumed he would have stayed for one more year to celebrate his 20th anniversary with the company, and it's sad to see Ed Watson and Federico retire during the same season. Personally I'm really sad, he's one of my favourite dancers ever and can't wait to see his last Romeo tomorrow. Also I need to start hunting for return tickets for his Swan Lake! But best wishes to him, he'll be a marvellous artistic director 

• Like 4

The CV detail towards the end of the NB Press Release suggests that Mr Bonelli did a fair bit to render himself employable in a managerial position when his dance career came to an end.  That appears to have paid off for him - although, as Ms Rojo did at ENB, he may keep on dancing for a bit after arriving in Leeds.  And he will leave a male promotion opportunity now at the RB?

• Like 1

I have just bought the cheapest ticket available as absolutely no idea if I can actually get there!!! But I’m gonna work in it....at least I have a seat (£18 ticket in amphitheatre so am guessing it’s a sort of seat???) Just raced to buy without really researching as dare not buy the £135 dress circle I was so tempted by!!! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

And he will leave a male promotion opportunity now at the RB?

Or (puts helmet on) the ROH which is screaming poverty and dire predictions of needing £10M over the next 2 years to stave off bankruptcy could show some understanding of fiscal reality and promote only one or not at all.  No - not holding my breath. 

Edited by oncnp

Federico Bonelli is an interesting choice and came from nowhere given that we have not even heard the inkling of a rumour!  I know he's been building his leadership skills over the last few years so fingers crossed.

I do hope it does not mean a mass clearout of the artistic staff (as happened in the distant past (not David Nixon)).

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Federico Bonelli is an interesting choice and came from nowhere given that we have not even heard the inkling of a rumour!  

It's hugely to Northern Ballet's credit that news of the selection process and who was in the frame did not leak out. Unusual in this day and age - and respectful to the 'candidates' too.

• Like 8

Totally thrilled by this new position for Federico Bonelli.  I’m sure he’ll be a good people manager and all-round capable AD.  

Not surprised that this is his next step .. I saw he’d taken on management roles in the RB after completing the Clore Leadership programme … he was shown publicly on last World Ballet Day. 

And so pleased I saw his Albrecht recently.   Wonderful memory of his sensitive portrayal, care for Lauren Cuthbertson on her return to stage and his impressive 32 entrechat six.   Leaving with a bang!

• Like 7