Royal Opera House "Winter" booking period

The double Giselle day on Saturday 27 November is necessitating not one but two overnight stays for me. Granted the first one on the Friday night is due to engineering works which mean that the 6.30am train  I would usually have been happy to catch wouldn't have got into Kings X until 10.30am - too close for comfort for me as I like to leave room for manoeuvre for delays. The last train home on a Saturday used to be 9pm which would have been fine for a short ballet like Giselle after a 5pm start,  however the timetable has changed recently (engineering works on the 27th aside). 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

No, you're not!

Thanks, it's a pain, but at least the link from the email works so we can at least see the e-tickets, else I'd be a bit concerned I might not have actually got any tickets.

Edited by Timmie
  • Like 1

Ah yes sorry to other posters I think generally LNER and EMR services usually the last train is 9.30 out of London (which you’d think if it’s reasonable for trains to run up until about midnight then is within that for most locations) but I stand corrected!

It would be brilliant if train companies could sort out timetabling to facilitate day trips to London involving an evening event as surely people who go to theatre/musicals etc also experience these issues? 

• Like 2

Maybe the matinee time of 4pm would suit many people (Including me) if trying to travel long distance afterwards at weekends. 
Might be a bit tight but could just about get two performances in even with a 4pm start either with an earlier 11.30 or 12.00 start which would please some but not sure two “matinees” would be allowed ? or more likely 4pm combined with a later 7.30 start. 
Most ballets don’t go over 2 and a half hours and it would mean the corps would conveniently still be at the theatre albeit with a bit of a shorter break for them between performances. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Maybe the matinee time of 4pm would suit many people (Including me) if trying to travel long distance afterwards at weekends. 
Might be a bit tight but could just about get two performances in even with a 4pm start either with an earlier 11.30 or 12.00 start which would please some but not sure two “matinees” would be allowed ? or more likely 4pm combined with a later 7.30 start. 
Most ballets don’t go over 2 and a half hours and it would mean the corps would conveniently still be at the theatre albeit with a bit of a shorter break for them between performances. 

I believe that the timings, and the gap in between performances, are strongly influenced by technicians' union rules and agreements with the orchestra (in addition to what is feasible for the dancers). Audience preferences probably don't enter the equation.

And, while I'm about it, why is it that, for performances of Giselle, the Conductor, Leader and Orchestra are listed as Cast ahead of the dancers. I have never understood the way the casting is presented online but this has now translated into the cast sheets. Of course the Conductor and Orchestra are of the utmost importance but.............!!!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

yes as has already been mentioned probably doesn’t give enough of a break for dancers/orchestra. 

I wonder if 11.30/4.30 might work - probably still not enough of a break though. 

5 hours ago, JNC said:

It would be brilliant if train companies could sort out timetabling to facilitate day trips to London involving an evening event as surely people who go to theatre/musicals etc also experience these issues? 

Particularly as the mayor is so intent on deterring anyone from driving in to London

• Like 1

Well to be honest from time to time why not just the one performance but instead of at 7.30 it’s just at 4 or 4.30pm 

It would be great to have the odd matinee in the week but there’s no evening performance that day ...so instead of not as well as. 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Well to be honest from time to time why not just the one performance but instead of at 7.30 it’s just at 4 or 4.30pm 

It would be great to have the odd matinee in the week but there’s no evening performance that day ...so instead of not as well as. 

there are the occasional ones, when they have an opera in the evening.

On a purely selfish note, I wish most weekday shows started at 7pm, as my last direct train home from London Bridge is at 22.55, so a 22.30 end is always a mad dash (or from Victoria, which takes 15mins+ longer, it's 23.00 or ghastly 23.40)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, capybara said:

And, while I'm about it, why is it that, for performances of Giselle, the Conductor, Leader and Orchestra are listed as Cast ahead of the dancers. I have never understood the way the casting is presented online but this has now translated into the cast sheets. Of course the Conductor and Orchestra are of the utmost importance but.............!!!! 

But less important for the opera apparently. Looking at the cast sheet for La Traviata, the orchestra and concert master are listed at the bottom, after the chorus.

16 minutes ago, oncnp said:

But less important for the opera apparently. Looking at the cast sheet for La Traviata, the orchestra and concert master are listed at the bottom, after the chorus.

Curiouser and curiouser………..

But, as far as the ballet is concerned, not ‘right’ in my view.

• Like 5

@capybara I agree about the cast sheet … particularly as the timings and orchestra were highly “variable” last night 5th November.  Made a mess of the peasant pdd for that cast. 

To me there should be breaks between the 3 sections of creatives (choreography, composer. Staging etc) then the musical performers then the dancers.  

I have a separate question about why it’s necessary for the management structure to be on the cast sheets.  

Edited by FionaE
Add info
  • Like 4

On 06/11/2021 at 11:51, FionaE said:

@capybara I agree about the cast sheet … particularly as the timings and orchestra were highly “variable” last night 5th November.  Made a mess of the peasant pdd for that cast. 

To me there should be breaks between the 3 sections of creatives (choreography, composer. Staging etc) then the musical performers then the dancers.  

I have a separate question about why it’s necessary for the management structure to be on the cast sheets.  

Interestingly (or perhaps not!) the old printed cast sheets had the creatives, then conductor and orchestra on the front page and then the cast on the inside pages. Not sure why the conductor, concert master and orchestra are now included as part of the cast.

They also didn't include details any senior staff other than the director.

• Like 1

Prompted by me worrying on the Giselle thread in case I've opted for the wrong casts, I thought I'd ask for expert opinions before the Swan Lake general booking opens next week. I've never seen Swan Lake live (don't faint!), given the RB last did it a few months before I started attending their performances. (I did see the cinecast.) Given the high prices & lack of package booking, I can probably only afford 3 casts & there are more than 3 casts that appeal. So which casts would people recommend? If it's any help, I prioritise acting over technique, not least because I don't know enough about ballet to judge technique!

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Do we know that Cuthbertson and Bracewell (talking about acting) are down for the cinema relay?  If so, that's one you could see elsewhere.

They are dancing on 19 May but Takada/McRae on 4 May are also listed as "camera filming"

29 minutes ago, alison said:

Do we know that Cuthbertson and Bracewell (talking about acting) are down for the cinema relay?  If so, that's one you could see elsewhere.

That's one of my dilemmas: given Bracewell has the cinecast with Cuthbertson, what do I do about potentially seeing Hayward given she's also dancing with him!

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

That's one of my dilemmas: given Bracewell has the cinecast with Cuthbertson, what do I do about potentially seeing Hayward given she's also dancing with him!

Go and see Hayward! Just a personal view but for me the Hayward/Bracewell casting is the one I'm most excited about.  On March 25th you can see O'Sullivan/Sambe in the afternoon and Hayward/Bracewell in the evening.  I've also booked for Nunez/Muntagirov (wanted to see them live as have only seen them in the recorded version) and Kaneko/Bonelli on consecutive nights. Naghdi/Ball was the one cast I really wanted to see but as I live at a distance I couldn't fit it in but I'd try for them if you can. If you miss any casts I'm sure they'll repeat it as soon as they can to get the income. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

If I were picking three casts it would be  Kaneko/Bonelli, Takada/McRae, and Calvert/Edmonds.

Further explanation...Takada was brilliant in this with Bracewell, and then Bonelli. She would tend to be my first choice anyway, and I am interested to see how the paring with McRae will pan out.

Kaneko  missed out on her debut in 2020 due to lockdown but I remember seeing her being rehearsed just before that and think she has great potential for the role  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZZHLYGddM. Bonelli is a fantastic  Siegfried.

Calvert  is always worth watching and she now (at last) has her dream debut opportunity, albeit for only one performance. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Prompted by me worrying on the Giselle thread in case I've opted for the wrong casts, I thought I'd ask for expert opinions before the Swan Lake general booking opens next week. I've never seen Swan Lake live (don't faint!)...

Lucky you, Dawnstar, to still have your first live Swan Lake experience ahead of you!  I know I'm corny but after half a century of seeing dozens of ballets in numerous different countries Swan Lake will always be my favourite.  That music!  The costumes!  The emotion!  And, of course, the great variety of dancing.

This particular production isn't my favourite - we see far too much of Siegfried's friend Benno, to the extent that some casual audience-goers have actually been overheard wondering if he is the hero.  But you are still in for a real treat.

I guess you will get as many suggestions about casts to choose as there are possible permutations, but IMO Osipova/Clarke and Núñez/Mutagirov are head and shoulders above the other pairs.  The third choice is trickier; Francesca Hayward's debut will be interesting and she is always beautiful to watch; but Akane/McRae are probably the pick of the rest.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

This particular production isn't my favourite - we see far too much of Siegfried's friend Benno, to the extent that some casual audience-goers have actually been overheard wondering if he is the hero.  But you are still in for a real treat.

I only saw the livestream but Benno's role was very similar in this production to the role in SPW's production for BRB so it felt natural to me.  Of course Benno was the hero - it was Alex Campbell!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

If I were picking three casts it would be  Kaneko/Bonelli, Takada/McRae, and Calvert/Edmonds.

Thank you for reminding me about Claire Calvert's performance.  I missed booking for her earlier in the month and now that I'm no longer a "Friend" (and good riddance, it seems as neither the ROH or the American Friends sent a reminder. Guessing  a Friends2 not worth the bother?) will have to hope something is left at general booking.

On a more somber note, Claire Calvert posted a picture of herself on crutches saying she was going for her scan today, so it appears her injury could be serious