Royal Opera House "Winter" booking period

On 04/11/2021 at 19:17, Timmie said:

I still can't access my ROH account properly in that I'm unable to see what my bookings are. I guess I'm not the only one?

In case you (or anyone else) is still having problems: I still couldn't sign in to my account (since Tuesday morning), so I emailed the Box Office yesterday and they have replied suggesting I try using a different browser. (I know I could have tried this anyway, but silly me I assumed that at some stage the ROH website would right itself, and Chrome is where I've bookmarked the site.) Anyway I can indeed sign in via Firefox. I asked in reply why there is now a problem with Chrome since I have made no changes at my end and it must therefore be related to the problems on Tuesday morning (for which no apology or explanation has been offered).

• Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

In case you (or anyone else) is still having problems: I still couldn't sign in to my account (since Tuesday morning), so I emailed the Box Office yesterday and they have replied suggesting I try using a different browser. (I know I could have tried this anyway, but silly me I assumed that at some stage the ROH website would right itself, and Chrome is where I've bookmarked the site.) Anyway I can indeed sign in via Firefox. I asked in reply why there is now a problem with Chrome since I have made no changes at my end and it must therefore be related to the problems on Tuesday morning (for which no apology or explanation has been offered).

'Haven't had a problem with Edge or Chrome. Apologies for stating the obvious, but you have cleared your cookies? 

Edited by oncnp
am having a problem with my spelling.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

i had trouble with chrome. i cleared my browsing history and cookies. all is working again now.  maybe worth a try?

3 minutes ago, prs59 said:

i had trouble with chrome. i cleared my browsing history and cookies. all is working again now.  maybe worth a try?

Thanks, and to oncnp. I will probably try this, but clearing cookies is a pain because cookies are useful! And I resent having the inconvenience when the issue is/was clearly not of my making.

• Like 1

yes, it's a pain. 

And no you didn't intentionally cause it but as it works for some but not for you, and does work on Firefox,  the problem is likely Chrome on your end. The ROH can't "fix it "as it's not a website issue.  Something has gotten corrupted and clearing cookies is the easiest and fastest way to fix it. 

Edited by oncnp

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

yes, it's a pain. 

And no you didn't intentionally cause it but as it works for some but not for you, and does work on Firefox,  the problem is likely Chrome on your end. The ROH can't "fix it "as it's not a website issue.  Something has gotten corrupted and clearing cookies is the easiest and fastest way to fix it. 

Any corruption clearly happened on Tuesday morning... (and Chrome works fine for everything else, which is a bit strange).

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

(and Chrome works fine for everything else, which is a bit strange).

not really as every site has its own unique cookie(s) so corruption in one won't affect something else. 

Now I'm getting hungry🍪

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Thanks, and to oncnp. I will probably try this, but clearing cookies is a pain because cookies are useful! And I resent having the inconvenience when the issue is/was clearly not of my making.

FWIW I just had trouble with my Ocado order due to Chrome cookies.  It is possible to just clear the cookies of one particular site, not the whole lot.  You go into settings (three dots top right of Chrome window) then 'privacy & security' then 'cookies and other site data' then search for the site that's giving you problems and just cancel their particular cookies.  I hope this is clearer than mud, and please excuse me if you know all this already!

• Like 1

I've cleared my cookies on Chrome and Edge. Chrome now works correctly, Edge does not. Neither worked before clearing cookies. If they both worked I'd say it was just one of those software things we have to suffer, but Edge still doesn't work for me so something wrong somewhere.

12 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Edited to add: have you tried clearing the cache?

Thank you, that worked 😄. I thought I'd cleared everything I could clear, but obviously not. In my defence I've just upgraded to Windows 11 so I'm blaming that entirely 😁.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I guess you will get as many suggestions about casts to choose as there are possible permutations

Not quite but between those who have replied (thank you to everyone who did) every pairing I was considering bar one (Magri/Corrales) have been recommended, plus a few who weren't on my shortlist. So I'm not sure I'm anywhere nearer to making a decision. Though of course I might get on the the website next week & find there are none of the tickets I'm after available for any of the casts I'm thinking about seeing so I can't see any of them!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Not quite but between those who have replied (thank you to everyone who did) every pairing I was considering bar one (Magri/Corrales) have been recommended, plus a few who weren't on my shortlist. So I'm not sure I'm anywhere nearer to making a decision. Though of course I might get on the the website next week & find there are none of the tickets I'm after available for any of the casts I'm thinking about seeing so I can't see any of them!

Personally, for your first Swan Lakes, I’d prioritise getting a good view over a particular cast as they are all going to be good in their own way. The view you see in recordings and the livestream doesn’t do Swan Lake justice as the cameras are all down low and as a lot of Swan Lake is about the formations of the corps it’s best viewed higher up (unless you want to focus mainly on the leads). (I’ve booked Osipova/Clarke and O’Sullivan/Sambe).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timmie said:

Personally, for your first Swan Lakes, I’d prioritise getting a good view over a particular cast as they are all going to be good in their own way. The view you see in recordings and the livestream doesn’t do Swan Lake justice as the cameras are all down low and as a lot of Swan Lake is about the formations of the corps it’s best viewed higher up (unless you want to focus mainly on the leads). (I’ve booked Osipova/Clarke and O’Sullivan/Sambe).

I definitely want to be near enough to see the leads' acting. That is my main interest in all ballets. I'm afraid that the formation of the corps de ballet is not something that interests me. Frankly, unless any of the dancers were to accidentally fall over each other, I doubt I'd even notice if any formations went wrong!

14 hours ago, Richard LH said:

If I were picking three casts it would be  Kaneko/Bonelli, Takada/McRae, and Calvert/Edmonds.

Everyone has different dancer preferences @Dawnstar so I’m sure any casts you see you would enjoy. 

I would pick any dancers you have enjoyed in comparative ballets (a classical ‘tutu’ piece) or any dancers you think would fit the role well. 

My three picks would be: 

Kaneko/Bonelli - I really like Kaneko as a dancer and was very impressed with her Sleeping Beauty. Really sad to have missed her as Juliet (dates didn’t align) so I had to see her Swan Lake, and it’s a debut no less! 

Hayward/Bracewell - another debut here, with Hayward (can’t remember but believe it’s also Bracewell’s debut?). Think they will be a beautiful pairing and I think Hayward will be brilliant as Odette (and very interested to see her Odile). 

Nunez/Muntagirov - maybe not one to see this time as they are likely to be paired again in the role at the next revival and also their performance exists on a DVD. But both are excellent in the role (and you can buy the DVD, I always find it quite satisfying to watch DVDs and think I saw them live as well!). 

I was also very tempted by Naghdi/Ball but I’m consoling myself (!) with seeing their Romeo/Juliet. And O’Sullivan/Sambe will be very interesting too no doubt, lots of very exciting debuts. Any I haven’t mentioned it’s not because they are bad but just my preference, factoring in other casts I’ve seen throughout the year, and also dates that align.

I will add I’m not seeing Osipova this time as I saw her last time so couldn’t justify it again but she was electric in the role as you might expect, a great Odile. Sometimes I think getting a character across in Swan Lake (and also Aurora) can be more difficult but she does it in spades! 

And I do enjoy swan lake from the amphi - haven’t seen it anywhere else because of money but sitting central if you can to see the patterns and choreography I would recommend. You don’t need to know the choreography, just seeing the synchronisation of act 2 and 4 is one of the joys of ballet for me (but I tend to go more towards classical preferences). 

• Like 5

@JNC Your first 2 suggestions are definitely on my shortlist. As for Nunez/Muntagirov, I feel like they'd be a safe option but because I've seen them in the cinecast, and again when it was shown on BBC4, it might be better to go for other casts.

I last sat in the amphi (for opera) back on 2014. I gave up because I realised that for me being too far away to see facial expressions meant I almost might as well be listening to performances on the radio!

@Dawnstar have you tried opera glasses? Admittedly not the same thing as sitting stalls I imagine but I find they do help for ‘zooming in’. 

If you can afford elsewhere though by all means! Sometimes I think I might treat myself to a more expensive seat ‘down below’ but there are always a few casts I want to see and so then can’t justify it. One day I’d really like to treat myself but I’m waiting for the right moment! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timmie said:

Thank you, that worked 😄. I thought I'd cleared everything I could clear, but obviously not. In my defence I've just upgraded to Windows 11 so I'm blaming that entirely 😁.

I usually clear the cache before I try cookies, as it's less disruptive. Worth remembering!

• Like 1

I think it’s perfectly justifiable to treat yourself to some nice seats JNC when you hit the next decade whenever and whichever it is!!   I think I’m still treating myself though to when I hit a rather final biblical decade nearly four years ago now lol! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

sorry for the dumb question but I forgot when do tickets go on sale tomorrow. 9AM?

If you mean general sale General: 16 November 2021, 9am

55 minutes ago, JNC said:

Sometimes I think I might treat myself to a more expensive seat ‘down below’ but there are always a few casts I want to see and so then can’t justify it. One day I’d really like to treat myself but I’m waiting for the right moment! 

I sit all over the place at ROH and to be honest I'd rather be in the amphi for Swan Lake than the stalls.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Timmie said:

I sit all over the place at ROH and to be honest I'd rather be in the amphi for Swan Lake than the stalls.

think you might be right although front amphi prices for swan lake would be very much a treat for me!

Would love to see Giselle and La Bayadere from the stalls/balcony. One day! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JNC said:

@Dawnstar have you tried opera glasses? Admittedly not the same thing as sitting stalls I imagine but I find they do help for ‘zooming in’. 

If you can afford elsewhere though by all means! Sometimes I think I might treat myself to a more expensive seat ‘down below’ but there are always a few casts I want to see and so then can’t justify it. One day I’d really like to treat myself but I’m waiting for the right moment! 

I did try opera glasses some years ago but I didn't get on with them.

I probably shouldn't be able to afford it, given I haven't had a temp job since covid hit & I'm still living on the £6k furlough money I got over a year ago! However not really being able to afford theatre tickets doesn't stop me from buying them!

• Like 1

I'm sorry to be a pain but I have another Swan Lake-related question. I would be intersted in opinions on whether far left or far right stalls circle is better for this production? I've looked at the book of production pictures from the first run & came to the tentative conclusion that Acts 1 & 3 might be better from the left and Acts 2 & 4 from the right, which is not very helpful!

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm sorry to be a pain but I have another Swan Lake-related question. I would be intersted in opinions on whether far left or far right stalls circle is better for this production? I've looked at the book of production pictures from the first run & came to the tentative conclusion that Acts 1 & 3 might be better from the left and Acts 2 & 4 from the right, which is not very helpful!

If you are sitting in the Stalls Circle sides left, the Prince (and Benno) can completely disappear behind the proscenium arch in Act 1 while others are dancing.

• Like 1

This morning's booking was a slight pain: couldn't believe it when the system told me I was no. 3 in the queue!  But the first standing place I grabbed, either for the first night or the single Kaneko/Bonelli performance, got grabbed by someone else.  I then grabbed one a couple of spaces away, only to get some error message telling me I needed to log out and log back in again - by the time I did that, that place had disappeared too :(  Apart from those, reasonably plain sailing - but again there's some very suspect pricing: how on earth they can justify the 50%+ viewing-restriction seats at the end of row H in the amphi as being priced the same as others in the row (£43, I think), I do not know!

What was worrying was that, although I went straight into my shopping basket and deleted the £3 donation, it reappeared later: I don't know whether that was something to do with my logging out and in again.

Also, having carefully gone onto the website yesterday evening and noted down the small number of performances which still had standing places to target early (thank you, ROH, for this very useful and time-saving feature!), I was surprised to go on this morning and find that that bore little resemblance to reality.  In most cases some standing places had popped up where there seemingly hadn't been any the night before, but again some weren't there when they had been there when I checked shortly before 9 am, and if I really was the third person on I would have expected them still to be there!  So I don't really know how reliable the system is.