Top 10 Creepy and Dark Ballets

9 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Ooh, I love Ghost Dances. Not sure about anyone else but I personally find it heart-rendingly sad rather than creepy. 

Yes, you’re right, but those ghost dancers are so sinister how they emerge silently and steadily take the people away. Moving indeed.

I found Scarlett's Frankenstein pretty dark. Though for me the worst moment wasn't anything to do with the monster but when Justine was hanged. I was not expecting that to be actually done on stage. I still feel slightly sick when I think of it.

• Like 1

John Neumeier's A Streetcar Named Desire is pretty sinister. I adore it because of the storytelling - considering how he translates the Tennessee Williams play into pictures and movement, I would say it is almost his best work, better even then Lady of the Camelias. But with the rape pas de deux in the second act, with Blanche DuBois losing her mind in the end, it is really hard to watch. I remember that in the first run after the premiere, Richard Cragun (who played Stanley Kowalski) once received a cactus instead of flowers - there was no orchestra pit in the Stuttgart playhouse, so somebody walked to the stage and put that cactus in front of the dancer. He laughed about it, he understood why.

And well, almost anything by German choreographer Marco Goecke is dark. Not always creepy, but sometimes very creepy. In "Der Rest ist Schweigen" ("The Rest is Silence"), an early piece, you could see see dark, shiny rags on the upper bodies of the dancers, which turned out to be black, palm-sized butterflies, a picture of eerie beauty. The dancers brushed them nervously from their bodies until the stage was littered with dead butterflies. And in the end, a phalanx of black alphorns emerged from behind, running right in the direction of the audience with a roar like elephants. They were played by hooded figures without faces - I really felt a shiver down my spine.

• 7 months later...

I'm adding up my list:

1. Alice by Amir Hosseinpour and Jonathan Lunn

2. 40M Under and Eskapist by Alexander Ekman

3. Cinderella, May B and Groosland by Maguy Marin

4. POPPEA//POPPEA, Der Sandmann, and the Nutcracker by Christian Spuck

5. Notre Dame de Paris and Le jeune homme et la mort by Roland Petit

Well I personally think the works of Ekman, Marin and Spuck are mostly creepy and dark.

11 hours ago, Jenn said:

I'm adding up my list:

1. Alice by Amir Hosseinpour and Jonathan Lunn

2. 40M Under and Eskapist by Alexander Ekman

3. Cinderella, May B and Groosland by Maguy Marin

4. POPPEA//POPPEA, Der Sandmann, and the Nutcracker by Christian Spuck

5. Notre Dame de Paris and Le jeune homme et la mort by Roland Petit

Well I personally think the works of Ekman, Marin and Spuck are mostly creepy and dark.

Hello Jenn and welcome to the Forum!

• Thanks 1

Bits of Northern Ballet's Christmas Carol, especially the dance of the Ghosts near the start, and the Ghost of Christmas Future is definitely the stuff of nightmares.

Perhaps we ought to compile our own list. It would be a big improvement on the one used to start the discussion.

I would add La Valse (Balanchine's version) to the list and maybe La Sonnambula (or "Night Shadow") as well....Both have a genuinely uncanny quality and La Valse ends in despair.  But, though the original list was fun to read, and everyone's responses too, I think a list of 10 ideally needs narrower parameters. "Dark" takes in too many things that "creepy" does not --  pretty soon we could all probably make this a list of 100 ballets. (I exaggerate....or maybe not. We'll see how the thread unfolds!)