Top 10 Creepy and Dark Ballets

Anything that involves mental and physical abuse against women or children. Starting with Manon.

Things like monsters, ghosts or even Mats Ek's shenanigans are too gimmicky to be creepy. Unpleasant - yes, creepy - no.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Seeing as Hallowe’en is here in less than a week....is it time to vote for our top creepy ballets again? This year, I’m voting for Akram Khan’s Giselle, with its sinister wilis and their sticks. I remember being really impressed by the clip of Stina Quagebeur and her creepy yet beautifully haunting band of wilis that made me curious to see the whole ballet. Was reminded of it again although the company aren’t performing it in London this year, due to farewells of Quagebeur and Tamara Rojo recently. 

• Like 1

I still get goosebumps & feel a real chill thinking about Cathy Marston’s ‘The Suit’ performed by Ballet Black….

It really stayed with me….

Especially effective the way a few simple props & basic set could be used to so clearly aid the story telling & represent larger societal tensions & repressions as well as the very real personal stories unfolding. 
I can still feel all the hopes & dreams ‘the suit’ initially indicated & then the bitterness, lies & tragedy it actually caused….. oh boy it was good….and the hanging…..chilling 

• Like 2