The Royal Ballet announces company joiners for the 2021/22 season

The retention of the 2020/21 Aud Jebsen Young Dancers and the Prix de Lausanne Apprentice for a second year is very good news. It seems to be a win/win: the dancers have a further opportunity to develop and prove themselves and the salary bill stays with the ever-generous Aud Jebsen.

Congratulations to the four RBS 2021 graduates who become Aud Jebsen Young Dancers 2021/22 - all of them female this time. It will be interesting to see the lists of the contracts secured by students from all the vocational schools this year.

I was rather hoping that there might be some further RB promotions lower down the ranks since, with the exception of the two new Principals, those announced in May were for the current season.

• Like 4

A hip hop choreographer being mentored by a contemporary choreographer at the Royal Ballet. I suppose it was too much to hope that the Royal Ballet's emerging choreographer would be a ballet choreographer. Silly me. Maybe the name should be changed to the Royal Dance Company and contemporary and hip hop dancers should be recruited to the ranks.

Sorry. Feeling disgrunted.

• Like 16

Actually I'm not sorry. And I'm not disgruntled, I'm angry. If the Royal Ballet management doesn't believe in ballet and doesn't believe it can sell it to the public, we might as well all go home. I love some contemporary dance but if I want to watch contemporary dance I go to Sadler's Wells or wherever and watch it performed by contemporary-trained dancers. I have no interest in hip hop at any venue. 

There's a very good article by Gerald Dowler in this month's Dancing Times, in which he says that he fears for the future of ballet. So do I, now.

• Like 23

23 minutes ago, bridiem said:

A hip hop choreographer being mentored by a contemporary choreographer at the Royal Ballet. I suppose it was too much to hope that the Royal Ballet's emerging choreographer would be a ballet choreographer. Silly me. Maybe the name should be changed to the Royal Dance Company and contemporary and hip hop dancers should be recruited to the ranks.

Sorry. Feeling disgrunted.

At least there is Valentino Zucchetti creating new classical ballet works 👏

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Actually I'm not sorry. And I'm not disgruntled, I'm angry. If the Royal Ballet management doesn't believe in ballet and doesn't believe it can sell it to the public, we might as well all go home. I love some contemporary dance but if I want to watch contemporary dance I go to Sadler's Wells or wherever and watch it performed by contemporary-trained dancers. I have no interest in hip hop at any venue. 

There's a very good article by Gerald Dowler in this month's Dancing Times, in which he says that he fears for the future of ballet. So do I, now.

One thing you can say about Peter Matins - and heaven knows a lot has been said - but he always demanded that NYCB choreographers - no matter their background nor how junior they might be - and even for the Choreographic Institute - ALWAYS held the capacity and - vitally - the desire to employ a balletic idiom.  It paid off.  Bringing people in from different dance angles is, I agree, wonderful, however it HAS to be a two-way conversation otherwise I fear the core point gets lost in much more than just translation.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

At least there is Valentino Zucchetti creating new classical ballet works 👏

Let’s hope that they nurture him and give him the opportunity to try to fill the gaping balletic hole left by Liam Scarlett. 

• Like 19

Yes, I'm with bridiem on this. We are talking about the Royal BALLET Company (the clue is in the name!) and not the Royal hip hop Company. I know ballet choreographers are a bit thin on the ground but surely Wayne Macgregor provides more than enough contemporary work (I won't call them ballets) for any classical company. As FionaE says, thank goodness for Valentino Zucchetti! Why not give him Liam Scarlett's Choreographer in Residence post, then at least we'll have one classical choreographer in the Company. (Of course he may not want a formal choreographic role yet if he still wants to concentrate on his dancing.)

The Gerald Dowler article in this month's Dancing Times is excellent and says a lot I've been concerned about for several years about the RB in particular trying to do too many different styles (and possibly BRB too now under Carlos). He says 'The result is a choreographic cacophony that sees the classical ballet idiom diluted, weakened, and ultimately threatened.... The saddest part of this erosion of classical ballet is the active role played by the directors of both schools and companies... Admittedly there is currently a real dearth of ballet choreographers of quality, but is that a valid reason for bringing in people who have little to no experience or meaningful understanding of the form?' Hear, hear!!!

• Like 21

16 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Yes, I'm with bridiem on this. We are talking about the Royal BALLET Company (the clue is in the name!) and not the Royal hip hop Company.

You're not planning to pay £105 to be a Homie or £1200 to be a Premium 1 Homie, then?

• Like 2

Re the Hip Hop element: let's give him a chance.  He could add an exciting element to the more experimental works of the RB.  But I agree that 'real' ballet has to be preserved, in much the same way as a protected species of animal or bird.  So if Toonga is an addition - welcome!  If a replacement  for classical input - not so good.

Having seen Zucchetti's choreography on screen recently, and looking forward to seeing it live at the weekend, I think there is hope as although imperfect it has a great deal of charm and potential.

On a brighter note, I was happy to see that Hannah Quinn has joined as pianist.  I am hoping that in time she may give an accompaniment to 'Dances at a Gathering' more worthy of the beautiful dancers than the one that I cringed at last time  I saw it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

surely Wayne Macgregor provides more than enough contemporary work (I won't call them ballets)

Totally agree with both parts of this sentence.

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

couldn't they find a ballet choreographer?

And totally agree with this key point. Dare I add: couldn't they find a female ballet choreographer?

• Like 10

Guest oncnp
43 minutes ago, Rob S said:

You're not planning to pay £105 to be a Homie or £1200 to be a Premium 1 Homie, then?

They've  made  my decision on whether or not to renew my membership much easier

7 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

On a brighter note, I was happy to see that Hannah Quinn has joined as pianist.  I am hoping that in time she may give an accompaniment to 'Dances at a Gathering' more worthy of the beautiful dancers than the one that I cringed at last time  I saw it.

+1 (can’t be said often enough that usually ROH musical standards are on par with the quality of the dancing but that has not been the case with the current pianist in that repertoire). 

As to Hip Hop, I fear that the views expressed here (which I agree with) will be quickly disregarded by RB/ROH management. Any such sentiments - including those in Gerald Fowler’s article - can be simply swept away as “out of touch”, “backward looking”, “stuck in the past” or whatever. The tension between tradition and innovation exists in all art forms but the ROH seems determined not to challenge the leaden Maoism promoted by the current Arts Council (who are its significant paymasters). After all it was not so long ago that both the ROH’s head of marketing and its own chairman said they supported a policy of clearing out us regulars to make room for “new audiences”. 

Is it time for a Campaign For Real Ballet, perhaps?

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 11

I would like to be able to discern the RB's vision. The way it is developing is coming across too much like a series of knee-jerk reactions to external pressures.

It could be argued that the movement in classical ballet (and more modern works which derive from it) is as artificial as the contortions of McGregor et al but it has a singular beauty and capacity to express feeling which needs to be nurtured. When I look at companies' plans for the next season, I am with Gerald Fowler and forum members above in being fearful for the future.

• Like 15

15 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

couldn't they find a ballet choreographer?

Isnt the programme set up to attract promising choreographer(s) who want to be trained in & learn about ballet?  regardless of background, presumably any candidate would need to express these sentiments at interview or audition to be considered for a place. 

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

Isnt the programme set up to attract promising choreographer(s) who want to be trained in & learn about ballet?  regardless of background, presumably any candidate would need to express these sentiments at interview or audition to be considered for a place. 

Maybe...but would not a background in learning and dancing classical ballet be hugely preferable, if not a prerequisite, for any new choreographer wishing to create ballet? 

(My knowledge on this is limited - others will be able to put me right as to the extent to which this has been true, to date, with successful ballet choreographers).

• Like 3

I do feel a bit sorry for Kevin O'Hare in all of this.  The RB needs Arts Council funding, especially now because they have lost so much money through the pandemic.  In order to keep receiving this money, he has to prove to the right-on folks at the AC that the RB is 'relevant'.  So I guess that this is his way of trying to prove that.  Maybe it's misguided, but I am guessing that he is trying to tick all the right boxes in order to keep the money coming in.  The fact that he feels he has to do this in order to keep the RB 'relevant' is a very sad reflection on how classical ballet is viewed these days.  Clearly the happiness it brings to thousands of people around the country each year is irrelevant.  I too am very worried about this general situation, and in my worst case scenario can see the day come when we have to go to St. Petersburg to see beautiful classical ballet.  

• Like 14

Joseph Toonga may be known for his hip-hop choreography but (although not ballet) he is an alumnus of the London School of Contemporary Dance.

He is not the only choreographer to be invited to (possibly) work outside his comfort zone.  Sir Richard Alston created, for example, (the very wonderful) Delicious Arbour on Bharata Natyam dancers for Shobana Jeyasingh.  I assume Mark Baldwin had some classical training but he is known as a contemporary dancer/choreographer and also created 2 fabulous pieces for Scottish Ballet (I have very fond memories of Ay Fond Kiss).  The late Sir Robert Cohan created a wonderful A Midsummer Night's Dream for Scottish Ballet.  IIRC the programme notes said it was the first time he had ever worked with dancers en pointe.

I agree with what Sim has said in her post above about the requirement to satisfy the Arts Council in order to maintain ACE funding but ... just perhaps something wonderful may come out of this appointment.  

https://macbirmingham.co.uk/news/2020/01/7/in-conversation-with-joseph-toonga

https://dancetabs.com/2021/04/5-questions-to-joseph-toonga-about-his-new-just-us-hip-hop-apprentice-co-and-more/

https://xtrax.org.uk/artist/joseph-toonga/

• Like 5

Is Charlotte Edmonds the most recent holder of this Emerging Choreographer role at the RB?    It seems to me it’s mostly a nurturing and development role for the choreographer, rather than impacting so much on main stage repertoire 🤔 

https://www.thewonderfulworldofdance.com/the-royal-ballets-announces-continuation-of-emerging-choreographer-programme

• Like 1

"The programme is designed for aspiring choreographers at or near the start of their career, looking to develop their skills and experience, to support a successful choreographic career including within a classical ballet context."

As Alison pointed out above, Mr Toonga is certainly not at or near the start of his career.  However, if indeed he does want to learn about classical ballet choreographing, then I guess that could be counted as being at the beginning of a new direction...?  And if he is a graduate of the LCDS, then I assume he would have done some ballet there.  Time will tell...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I do feel a bit sorry for Kevin O'Hare in all of this.  The RB needs Arts Council funding, especially now because they have lost so much money through the pandemic.  In order to keep receiving this money, he has to prove to the right-on folks at the AC that the RB is 'relevant'.  So I guess that this is his way of trying to prove that.  Maybe it's misguided, but I am guessing that he is trying to tick all the right boxes in order to keep the money coming in.  The fact that he feels he has to do this in order to keep the RB 'relevant' is a very sad reflection on how classical ballet is viewed these days.  Clearly the happiness it brings to thousands of people around the country each year is irrelevant.  I too am very worried about this general situation, and in my worst case scenario can see the day come when we have to go to St. Petersburg to see beautiful classical ballet.  

I completely agree with your sentiments, Sim.

When I wrote on this thread earlier today, I should have made it clear that my barb was directed at those collectively responsible - i.e. the ROH, the Governors of the Royal Ballet and the RB Directorate - not just one individual, with whom I too have considerable sympathy. It is the responsibility of the Board to develop a vision which (somehow!) incorporates the mix of societal and funder expectations alongside artistic aspirations and provides a framework not only for the repertoire but also for the many other initiatives under the RB's aegis.

Difficult, I know............

• Like 4

I could be wrong but does this program actually impacts the RB repertoire? I know a few pieces from previous holders of the position were presented on mixed programs but it seems more like what this program does it to help choreographers understand, develop and work inside a huge company like RB. 

I do agree with the general sentiment that maybe they could’ve appointed someone with ballet background or even someone more focused on exploring and developing within the grounds of classical ballet. 

22 hours ago, Rob S said:

I have actually joined the Friends (bargain basement version) for the first time in over a decade before I heard this news just so I can guarantee tickets for the RB classical offerings (If I can afford them!) The price they are charging is making ballet elitist as only the wealthy will be able to afford good seats. However, modern ballet tickets seem to be much cheaper, possibly to attract a younger audience, though I don't know how this is squared with paying off a possibly huge ROH deficit. Presumably it's all to do with the Arts Council insisting on their being 'inclusive' rather than excellent. It looks like us despised classicists are expected to foot the bill for that.  

Even when I joined the Friends I was concerned for the direction the RB was taking. Kevin carefully nurtures arguably the most talented Company of dancers we've had in decades, with strength and talent from the apprentices through to the principals, but then employs choreographers for them who do nothing to develop their classical balletic vocabulary, indeed may even hinder it. I know classical choreographers are thin on the ground, and possibly out of fashion, even with the ballet directors who you would think would nurture them. So, well done Valentino for 'coming out' as a classicist. Long may he continue to delight us with his classical offerings!

• Like 15

I honestly don’t see this affecting the repertoire at all. I could sound blindly optimistic to some in the forum, but I doubt they’ll be throwing in dance battles at company class anytime soon. 

• Like 5