ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

I was expressing surprise that there would be any one in the audience, I thought it was just being streamed. I may read the article in a moment 😆

Wigmore Hall currently have a audience capacity of 112 for their concerts.  IIRC, the Troubador in Wembley Park has about 400 from a normal capacity of 1300 (which reminds me, I'd recommend a visit to see Sleepless, it's rather enjoyable).

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I was expressing surprise that there would be any one in the audience, I thought it was just being streamed. I may read the article in a moment 😆

During our Open House tour last week we were told that there had been a socially distanced, invited audience for the streaming of the Royal Opera Live in Concert earlier this month.  They were apparently seated in the amphitheatre and one of the other tiers, either the Grand Tier or Balcony.

Edited by Bluebird

6 hours ago, Bluebird said:

During our Open House tour last week we were told that there had been a socially distanced, invited audience for the streaming of the Royal Opera Live in Concert earlier this month.  They were apparently seated in the amphitheatre and one of the other tiers, either the Grand Tier or Balcony.

Interesting.  On the radio last night, the presenter said the only audience had been members of the orcnestra etc., but I suppose he might not have known about higher up.

There are so many boxes to be ticked where any audience is concerned:

• funding criteria (diversity etc)
  • things that play well with the public (health workers have already been mentioned)
  • keeping wealthy benefactors on side
  • accommodating the Board/Committees etc.

I don't think that any level of Patron or Friend will get a look in.

I do hope that everyone will be paying, however, and that an unofficial market does not develop for these tickets.

• Like 3

So my Instagram feed tonight has spontenously yielded the following 'bubble' couples:

Naghdi/Edmonds (Elite Syncopations)

O'Sullivan/Sambe (La Fille Mal Gardee)

Nunez/Muntagirov (Don Q - as mentioned above)

Lamb/Hirano (?)

Takada/Bonelli (? Swan Lake Act 2?)

Hinkis/Acri (Elite Syncopations)

.....which leaves the small man/tall girl combination from Elite

In addition, Reece Clarke and Fumi Kaneko seem to be working on a new  piece with Cathy Marston.

With all these 'leaks', they might as well announce the programme now!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

So my Instagram feed tonight has spontenously yielded the following 'bubble' couples:

Lamb/Hirano (?)

In addition, Reece Clarke and Fumi Kaneko seem to be working on a new  piece with Cathy Marston.

Well its all something to look forward to. I just hope that the Government doesn't impose further restrictions in the meantime!

28 minutes ago, capybara said:

Lamb/Hirano (?)

good work!

10 hours ago, alison said:

Interesting.  On the radio last night, the presenter said the only audience had been members of the orcnestra etc., but I suppose he might not have known about higher up.

I've read on Instagram that there will be a 'small audience including students and health workers' which sounds like a nice approach 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, capybara said:

Lamb/Hirano (?)

This is tantalising !!

11 hours ago, capybara said:

There are so many boxes to be ticked where any audience is concerned:

• funding criteria (diversity etc)
  • things that play well with the public (health workers have already been mentioned)
  • keeping wealthy benefactors on side
  • accommodating the Board/Committees etc.

I don't think that any level of Patron or Friend will get a look in.

I do hope that everyone will be paying, however, and that an unofficial market does not develop for these tickets.

I assumed that an 'invited' audience meant that no-one would be paying on this occasion, but maybe that's wrong.

24 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I assumed that an 'invited' audience meant that no-one would be paying on this occasion, but maybe that's wrong.

Probably not in the monetary sense, but as Capybara pointed out, the PR value of students and medical workers is enormous and they are being the logistics guinea pigs that will pave the way for the rest of us (well, the rest of you in the UK, anyway).  I wouldn't be at all surprised of a few benefactors had also been "invited" but they've already paid.  

The Guardian article said there would be some Balanchine but none is mentioned in Capybara's detection work. I was hoping that one of the great black and white duets would be included, although Apollo may be more likely... if there's any Balanchine at all.

• Like 1

When you buy a ticket, it seems (unless I missed something) that you have to pay by credit card, and there's no option to use a credit voucher. I do have some that I really hope to be using in future, but I didn't spot how to this time.  Has anyone else tried to use one ? 

10 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

When you buy a ticket, it seems (unless I missed something) that you have to pay by credit card, and there's no option to use a credit voucher.

You raise a great point. I didn't see any other option than credit card, probably because Vimeo is doing the billing, not the ROH. 

Since "normal" is a long way off, I'd ask the ROH what their plans for credit vouchers are. 

Edited by oncnp

Are not Hayward and Corrales included in the list of couples dancing? I hope Corrales is not injured again 😢

It is all a start but it’s looking like ordinary members of the public still won’t get a look in until 2021 anyway. 

15 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Are not Hayward and Corrales included in the list of couples dancing? I hope Corrales is not injured again 😢

It is all a start but it’s looking like ordinary members of the public still won’t get a look in until 2021 anyway. 

I don't follow either but a quick look at Corrales IG indicated he is dancing at the Gala, so not injured.  No mention of what he is performing. 

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I was only really mentioning the new 'bubbles' which could be detected from Instagram. The three 'established' couples have already been noted.

Neither Corrales/ Hayward nor Ball/Magri have yet referred to what they are dancing - or, if they have, I didn't see it last night. Haven't looked at IG today.

• Like 1

Many thanks. 

Im not on instagram although may be inspired by the 94 year old David Attenborough who has apparently joined today! 
I usually get odd Facebook notifications but am still behind with news .... I still thought Nunez wasn’t even in UK but has apparently now been rehearsing with Muntagirov! 
Is there any restriction on the £16 tickets to watch at home? 

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Many thanks. 

Im not on instagram although may be inspired by the 94 year old David Attenborough who has apparently joined today! 
I usually get odd Facebook notifications but am still behind with news .... I still thought Nunez wasn’t even in UK but has apparently now been rehearsing with Muntagirov! 
Is there any restriction on the £16 tickets to watch at home? 

You don't have to join IG or use the app to see posts  (although it does work better on Chrome than on Explorer).  Just type Instagram.com and you're away. If you want to see "stories" or follow someone you do need to sign up though. 

What kind of restrictions did you have in mind? The gala appears to work the same way all the other pay-per-views have. Sign up, pay up and you can watch on the day and for 30 days after.   Streaming direct to TV still appears to be somewhat problematic.

This news makes me so happy, I know I am not going to be in the opera house but this is the next best thing. 

I also hope lots of health professional can go and see them live at a reasonable price. They deserve it. 

Edited by Janite
  • Like 3

From today's links (Times article) - Nutcracker is back 🎅🎄

“The Nutcracker will be back,” he (Alex Beard) says. “It will have some modifications, but it will still recognisably be The Nutcracker and that marvellous tree will do its thing.”

And (even better) he also outlines the plan going forward.  Announcement: 

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-unveils-programme-of-new-work-alongside-much-loved-classics-for-live-audiences-this-autumn

Edited by oncnp

Tickets to reconfigured seating in ROH to go on sale for these autumn productions.   Good news for people who are willing to take that risk, and good news that events will continue to be live-streamed.  Art must continue.

Financial cost must still be huge, but at last .... sense prevails and art continues ... for benefit of artists and backstage creatives as well as audience.   Hoorah!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, oncnp said:

From today's links (Times article) - Nutcracker is back 🎅🎄

“The Nutcracker will be back,” he (Alex Beard) says. “It will have some modifications, but it will still recognisably be The Nutcracker and that marvellous tree will do its thing.”

And (even better) he also outlines the plan going forward.  Announcement: 

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-unveils-programme-of-new-work-alongside-much-loved-classics-for-live-audiences-this-autumn

Also should note there will be  more redundancies though....

“No bit of the house is unaffected,” he (Mr Beard again) says of what he describes as a programme of “significant” redundancies.

Does that include artists — for example, dancers and chorus members?
“Compared to everyone else we are preserving them.”