ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know quite possibly, I think they used a number of different theatres at the time, but I can’t remember which. I think the danger in my mind is that dance careers are so short, they are in danger of losing people, some of their dancers are already dancing elsewhere. If they defect to BRB or ENB that would be quite a good result for me personally, not so much if they move abroad. 

In London, it was basically the Apollo Hammersmith, Royal Festival Hall, Coliseum, Barbican Theatre, and then the new Sadler's Wells once that was completed.  I may have missed somewhere.

Dancers do frequently dance during the holiday period in a normal season - I don't think it's much more than that, is it, plus a few extra performances just because they want to be doing something?

2 minutes ago, Peony said:

I..... some of their dancers are already dancing elsewhere...….

Who? I know Nunez just finished a gala in Sicily and Muntagirov is guesting in Latvia  but those are just normal engagements (I think).

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Who? I know Nunez just finished a gala in Sicily and Muntagirov is guesting in Latvia  but those are just normal engagements (I think).

I imagine that dancers who are invited to guest abroad will take every opportunity that they can to just BE ON STAGE and DANCE.

• Like 5

Interesting to read in today's Links that the concert on the 4th September will be broadcast on Radio 3 later in September and televised later in the year.

This is great news but the wider, free availability will surely make people less willing to subscribe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Interesting to read in today's Links that the concert on the 4th September will be broadcast on Radio 3 later in September and televised later in the year.

This is great news but the wider, free availability will surely make people less willing to subscribe.

The later broadcasts may be edited...also, won't they have assumed a likely positive trade-off having regard to  payments received from  BBC Radio and TV?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

The later broadcasts may be edited...also, won't they have assumed a likely positive trade-off having regard to  payments received from  BBC Radio and TV?

Yes - but better perhaps to announce the broadcasts later!!!

• Like 1

The article by the magazine/journal Rhinegold in today's links answers one of my questions about the streamed performances; they will be kept up for a month so plenty of opportunity to revisit them for your money. Bit surprised other more mainstream newspapers haven't picked up on them yet. Perhaps tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some encouraging news about the yet-to-be-confirmed gala on 9 October. 

Marianela Nunez has posted on IG that she is rehearsing with Vadim Muntagirov again. Not sure if that's with masks or they've become each other's "bubble".  Perhaps there will be other non-cohabitating couples as well. It would expand the repertoire a bit. 

33 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Details of the October 9 Royal Ballet performance in this morning's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/sep/23/royal-ballet-announces-october-comeback-with-100-dancers-and-duets

Thank you for digging that out! Not even on the Guardian main "Culture" page or the ROH website (as yet)

Edited by oncnp

55 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Thank you for digging that out! Not even on the Guardian main "Culture" page or the ROH website (as yet)

But, of course, in Today's links!  It's always worth checking the links - lots of news/reviews/previews/features there every day.  As it happens the article came up on one of the usual google searches:

• Like 3

"We are excited to announce that, after seven months, The Royal Ballet will be reunited on their home stage for a spectacular live performance from Covent Garden. Featuring much-loved traditional and contemporary classics, this celebration will be an opportunity to see the full Company again and be reminded of everything that makes The Royal Ballet so special. 

Royal Ballet Principals Matthew Ball, Federico Bonelli, Alexander Campbell, Francesca Hayward, Ryoichi Hirano, Sarah Lamb, Laura Morera, Vadim Muntagirov, Yasmine Naghdi, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Marcelino Sambé, Akane Takada and Edward Watson return to the stage with the full Company and will be accompanied by the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House.

The performance will be broadcast on Friday 9 October at 7.30pm and will be available to watch on-demand for 30 days. Costing just £16 for the best view in the house, as a Friend you can now exclusively book your tickets"

Well at least that's some positive news, given the current gloom!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

But, of course, in Today's links!  It's always worth checking the links - lots of news/reviews/previews/features there every day.  As it happens the article came up on one of the usual google searches:

To be fair to oncnp, Jan, I'd seen the article in the print edition of the paper and had posted the link to the article before Today's Links were posted. 

Edited by Bluebird

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

To be fair to oncnp, Jan, I'd seen the article in the print edition of the paper and had posted the link to the article before Today's Links were posted. 

To be fair to me  and Ian we  do spend several hours every day scouring the press for articles to publish  ... and I was just pointing out that the daily Links can be a rich source of what is coming up.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

To be fair to me  and Ian we  do spend several hours every day scouring the press for articles to publish  ... and I was just pointing out that the daily Links can be a rich source of what is coming up.

I'm sorry, Jan. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were implying that oncnp hadn't bothered to check the links before posting.  I was just pointing out that the links hadn't yet been published when oncnp posted.

Edited to add how much we all appreciate the effort that you and Ian put into finding the links.  They are an invaluable resource to us all.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I'm sorry, Jan. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were implying that oncnp hadn't bothered to check the links before posting.  I was just pointing out that the links hadn't yet been published when he posted.

That's OK Bluebird, we tend to publish the articles in links even if they have already been linked in another thread.

7 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm just praying that none of the "bubbled" dancers get injured - or ill, for that matter.  Tony Pappano was speaking last night on the radio about the huge problems caused by late replacements for the opera gala.

Good point. Perhaps they are having reserve bubbles (eg Alex Campbell and Clair Calvert who are a real bubble). The Guardian article this AM mentioned 7 additional bubbles but didn't list that many.  

26 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The Guardian article this AM mentioned 7 additional bubbles but didn't list that many.  

So one can have a bit of fun guessing 🤔

Kevin O’Hare has just been on the World at One (30+ minutes in) but it was a general overview.

500 tickets will be available as an experiment with a view to increasing the capacity later. If any go on sale they will be like gold dust.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, capybara said:

So one can have a bit of fun guessing 🤔

Kevin O’Hare has just been on the World at One (30+ minutes in) but it was a general overview.

500 tickets will be available as an experiment with a view to increasing the capacity later. If any go on sale they will be like gold dust.

Buvoli and Churches, Maeda and Bell, Gasparini and Emerton plus the ones named?

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Good point. Perhaps they are having reserve bubbles (eg Alex Campbell and Clair Calvert who are a real bubble). The Guardian article this AM mentioned 7 additional bubbles but didn't list that many.  

Yes, the first thing that struck me from the Guardian article is it only mentioned three 'bubble couples' whereas Alexander and Claire make 4. I'm glad Alex at least is mentioned in the list of principals as I was rather disappointed he and Claire were omitted from the previous short concerts and was really hoping to see them this time.

• Like 3

Marianela Nunez has posted (in Spanish via Google translate) that she and her "beloved and admired Vadream ….will dance Don Quijote act 3 pas de deux 🙆🏼‍♀️❤️)" 

46 minutes ago, capybara said:

The Guardian item implies that it will be an 'invited audience' only:

"Unless the rules change, there will be a specially invited and socially distanced audience that will include students and health workers"

18 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The Guardian item implies that it will be an 'invited audience' only:

"Unless the rules change, there will be a specially invited and socially distanced audience that will include students and health workers"

I hate to be a cynic (that's a lie, I love it), but surely inviting 'health workers' is a likely way of getting Covid into the building? I hope they are ballet-loving health workers at least, otherwise I would like their tickets please (and willing to pay/empty my savings account/support the arts)

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Remember the whole of the stalls will be taken up by the orchestra and that would probably mean the stalls circle can't be used for audience either.

I was expressing surprise that there would be any one in the audience, I thought it was just being streamed. I may read the article in a moment 😆