The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Xandra.  I adore Hayward and rush to see her in everything.  I have always thought of her as being in the Cojocaru mold since I first saw her in Rhapsody.  I love Naghdi but have not seen her nearly as many times although I have read so much glowing praise on this forum.  Roll on tomorrow and thank-you again.

PS:  what is your definition of lyrical?

• Like 1

My definition of a lyrical ballerina? I'll do my best :) 

Easiest to describe when observing Nunez's and Naghdi's style of dancing (there are of course other lyrical dancers in the company).

It is the purity and simplicity of their style which allows the story of the dance/ballet to unfold in beautiful sequences of elegant movements, to dance in a very controlled yet powerful manner, and with elegant containment. Cleanliness of technique, precision, beautiful in adagios, and having full control over the body,  particularly in difficult movements or sequences, combined with visually beautiful often elongated lines. For example, take Monotones I and II (respectively danced by Naghdi and Nunez): the enormous control needed to be able to execute all those very slow steps and to securely hold those steps is just one illustration of the mastery of their technique.

A lyrical ballerina will execute a series of slow and refined movements, performed as a single phrase in a fluid manner, and each preparatory step seamlessly will be linked to the next

• Like 9

Xandra that is such a lovely description! 

I was lucky to see Hayward and Naghdi dance together in Within the Golden Hour recently and found them both exquisite though as you say, different, and I think you've described the difference very well! 

It's interesting as there are so many roles which I think they would both be perfect for (Aurora, Swanhilda, Giselle etc) but they would bring a certain difference to each role. That's the beauty of dance I suppose, the same movements can be translated in such different ways. I guess the only solution is to see them both as much as possible! I think we're so lucky to have so many talented dancers in the RB right now (although less lucky for my bank balance...)!

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, JNC said:

the only solution is to see them both as much as possible!

Absolutely - we are so very fortunate and I think in Anna-Rose O’Sullivan we have a third ‘must see’ younger dancer.  Add the peerless  Laura Morera and I’ll just have to find ways of increasing my Ballet budget. 

• Like 2

Xandra, thank you again.  I had lyrical all wrong assuming it was all about flowing lines and the ability to portray emotion.  I shall be able to watch tomorrow with your definition in mind.  I am taking a friend who has never seen Romeo and Juliet in any form although she is Italian.  And then on Tuesday I'm doing my bit for International relations by bringing a French friend.  Both partners relay on me to give them the gen on who is dancing so your information is wonderful.

20 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Absolutely - we are so very fortunate and I think in Anna-Rose O’Sullivan we have a third ‘must see’ younger dancer.  Add the peerless  Laura Morera and I’ll just have to find ways of increasing my Ballet budget. 

John I agree that Anna-Rose is very much a dancer with exciting opportunities and I look forward to seeing her more and more (and clearly KOH agrees looking at Autumn's casting!). I saw her as Amour/Cupid in DQ and was astounded that she's 'only' a soloist - her technique was spot on. Very much hope she gets promoted as she deserves it! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JNC said:

John I agree that Anna-Rose is very much a dancer with exciting opportunities and I look forward to seeing her more and more (and clearly KOH agrees looking at Autumn's casting!). I saw her as Amour/Cupid in DQ and was astounded that she's 'only' a soloist - her technique was spot on. Very much hope she gets promoted as she deserves it! 

Her Juliet blew me away...

• Like 2

Well, that was pretty remarkable. Yasmine Naghdi wonderful of course and Matthew Ball just sensational.

Add to that a brilliantly realised ageing roue of a Tybalt from Gary Avis and an all round exceptional performance from the bit parts (more about that later) and I don’t think I’ve seen a better performance of Romeo and Juliet.

• Like 8

There was plenty that I really enjoyed in this afternoon’s performance although it didn’t move me. 

Sambe was a terrific lead mandolin - first time in this run I’ve heard spontaneous applause - is there anything he can’t do ? Maybe he should have tried Tybalt too !

Ball’s acting was intelligent and interesting, his solos well judged, his partnering strong and he looks wonderful. But for me he still doesn’t show that internal fire that makes me unable to take my eyes off the main man on stage - Polunin in his prime, Shklyarov, and now Corrales. Maybe it was something to do with me not feeling the chemistry between Ball and Naghdi. I feel in the 4 years since their debuts they’ve gone in different directions, she is without doubt a beautiful classical dancer but on the basis of today’s performance I am less persuaded that she is a natural MacMillian actress. I’m sure I’m in a minority here and the live relay will be a very good performance. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 6

I love Ball and Naghdi together and have since their well applauded R&J debuts four years ago. This is the only three act ballet that is too short for me. The crowd scenes are so dynamic but I really want more pas de deux. Romeo and Juliet actually aren’t together enough which I guess is the point of the ballet 💔 😆

• Like 5

On 31/05/2019 at 12:45, alison said:

??

Almost certainly one of my most emotional ballet experiences.  Right up there with Ed Watson’s Mayerling.

I don’t have the knowledge to talk technical so you’ll have to forgive the analogous descriptions.  If Hayward and Corrales gave us a roller coaster ensemble West Side Story, Naghdi and Ball were Brief Encounter.  The passionate puppy love from Francesca and Cesar might not have lasted, but today was the real deal.  Naghdi and Ball gave us Tom O’Dell’s Real Love.  They were emotionally joined and we would all be invited to their Diamond Wedding Anniversary.

The supporting cast were not quite as memorable as the Hayward and Corrales team but this made the performance of the Principals even more stand out.  Hats off to Matthew Balls dramatisation. His sneering,entitled Tybalt was replaced by a thoughtful feeling Romeo who seemed to realise quite early on that his love for Juliet was doomed.  Exquisite partnering that made me gasp.  Yasmine, well just perfect

Garvy Avis was a darkly handsome swaggeringly violent Tybalt, more Reggie Kray than Michael Corleone.  But today belonged to Matthew and Yasmine who dominated the performance.  Their chemistry is combustible and you could feel the tension all around.  (apart from the idiot in J8 who preferred to check his phone until given a sharp dig in the ribs by the lady in J9).

A wonderful experience which has left me absolutely drained. Thank you RB.  And, greedy pig that I am, I’ve got it all again on June 11.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 11

26 minutes ago, annamk said:

I feel in the 4 years since their debuts they’ve gone in different directions, she is without doubt a beautiful classical dancer but on the basis of today’s performance I am less persuaded that she is a natural MacMillian actress. I’m sure I’m in a minority here and the live relay will be a very good performance. 

Annamk, I know what you mean - for me it was Ball who was the driving force and I had to force myself to look elsewhere - but I was still very much feeling the chemistry, though it would be very difficult for Naghdi to compete with what I thought was a “next level” performance from him. (I speak as someone who has been a little sceptical of some of the hype about Ball.)

If I were to have one specific criticism of Naghdi, I think it would be she wasn’t as “dead” in the final PDD as she might have been (I’m thinking of Hayward here as she’s freshest in my mind).

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well, that was pretty remarkable. Yasmine Naghdi wonderful of course and Matthew Ball just sensational.

Add to that a brilliantly realised ageing roue of a Tybalt from Gary Avis and an all round exceptional performance from the bit parts (more about that later) and I don’t think I’ve seen a better performance of Romeo and Juliet.

Me neither, Lizbie

12 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

If Hayward and Corrales gave us a roller coaster ensemble West Side Story, Naghdi and Ball were Brief Encounter.  The passionate puppy love from Francesca and Cesar might not have lasted, but today was the real deal.  Naghdi and Ball gave us Tom O’Dell’s Real Love.  They were emotionally joined and we would all be invited to their Diamond Wedding Anniversary.

That’s exactly how I felt too - thank you for articulating it.

• Like 2

I’ve been wanting to see Yasmine and Matt for a while and Godness me this afternoon did not disappoint. Was blown away!!

Their chemistry was amazing and Yasmine completely stole the show!!

This easily comes in my top 2 of all favourites  ( Natalia Osipova’s Giselle has always been my winner!) !!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Such a special performance. A standing ovation from the audience! 

Was there?  I didn't notice one where I was.  I did belatedly wonder, however, from the cheering from the rear amphi, if half of Liverpool had come down again :) 

I did think it a bit unfair that they didn't even get a second curtain call, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Was there?  I didn't notice one where I was.  I did belatedly wonder, however, from the cheering from the rear amphi, if half of Liverpool had come down again :) 

I did think it a bit unfair that they didn't even get a second curtain call, though.

Mostof the central stalls were standing up

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, alison said:

Stalls were pretty much all up.  My admiration for Ball grew another Six feet.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 4

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:02, alison said:

2) Hope this won't confuse things, but I think I say right-hand side for R&J.

For future reference, you can miss quite a few important moments if you can't see the front left-hand corner of the stage.

I agree, Alison I was in Stalls Left and feel that a lot of the action was there.  However,it is such a wonderful production that sitting on the roof would probably be okay.

one of the  nice things today was that the people around me appeared to be tourists and newbies to either ROH or R & J.  Made me so proud to witness their enjoyment.

• Like 2

One dancer I’d like to mention in particular is Christina Arestis as Lady Capulet: with the stiffest of competition, she somehow made the end of Act 2 the high point of the ballet for me on both occasions I’ve seen it this run.

• Like 5

Yasmine Naghdi exquisite and a believeable Juliet: Matthew Ball: strong, passionate but also lyrical and a complete Romeo. 10 out of 10 for his dancing and acting. A performance that made the ballet live again for me.

• Like 10

I thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon - I don't know if it was me or because the cameras were there but I kept noticing lots of little gestures and characterisations from the dancers  that I haven't noticed before. I thought the leads were utterly convincing - another thing I noticed for the first time was Yasmine's very deep breathe when she "awakes" in the tomb - excellent. I saw them 4 years ago and was blown away then and was equally enthralled today. My only niggle is that I kept thinking to myself "wouldn't it be great if Matthew Ball could be duplicated so I could see his Tybalt and his Romeo on the stage at the same time" - hard to believe that the fun loving, ardent lover of today was the same nasty, entitled Tybalt of the other week! Hats off to the whole ensemble - I left the ROH with a smile on my face!

• Like 10

First of all, I like to say: BRAVO to the WHOLE company! Bravo to each and every dancer who was on stage this afternoon, from the walk-on actors to the corps dancers and soloists. They were all incredible in their own right. Everywhere you looked something was going on, in every dancer's face you can read their story. What a fabulous and unforgettable afternoon.

What can I add to what's already been said by other posters...It was an emotionally draining performance, Naghdi and Ball were just stunning, I could read every single change in their emotional state on their face from start to finish, every nuance, those little details that are so important to the story. Naghdi's Juliet reached another level, she dances with such ease and passion, and we could easily follow her journey from a young girl with a doll to a young woman who passionately fell in love with Romeo. Ball and Naghdi together are a dream team for me, they are so natural and so together when they dance.

Naghdi did "playing dead" very well, her limbs were totally lifeless, she slid on the floor like melting ice-cream, it was a tear-inducing scene.

Since Lady MacMillan approved and entrusted Naghdi and Ball with the R&J live cinema relay she surely must think very highly of them as proper MacMillan actors.

Ball was equally amazing, his facial expressions very readable too. Loved his performance. Together they are a beautiful pair and they left me hungry to see them together more often. 

I also very much enjoyed Stix-Brunell as a Harlot, she was outstanding in this role. Sambe of course superb in the Mandolin Dance.

I was sitting in the Orchestra Stalls and yes zxDaveM is right: most of the central stalls were standing up. What an afternoon! Bring on 11th June!  

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, alison said:

I asked an usher why oh why did they no get a second curtain call? He told me the technical team is in rush after the performance to get the stage ready for tonight and that they also need a legal work break in between. The curtain calls felt rushed :(

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

I asked an usher why oh why did they no get a second curtain call? He told me the technical team is in rush after the performance to get the stage ready for tonight and that they also need a legal work break in between. The curtain calls felt rushed :(

Oh for goodness sake. If it came to the absolute worst, it would be better for the evening performance to start a few minutes late rather than to curtail deserved curtain calls.

• Like 9