The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, that was an amusing reaction! I don't understand the cast change announcements: on Thursday there were twice as many cast changes as tonight but no announcement.

What a difference a cast can make: tonight is miles better than Thursday thus far. Hayward & Corrales are making it seem as if the choreography is an outcome of their emotions, Nunez & Tissi made it look like they were just doing the choreography (and a lift that I thought was problematic on Thursday definitely was).

Loving Ball as Tybalt (having seen him as Romeo) & Mock is by far the nicest Paris I've seen.

ETA Now wondering whether to bother taking curtain call pics as @Rob S's are bound to be miles better!

Hayward and Corrales are amazeballs!!

And yes you should take pics😉

• Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, that was an amusing reaction! I don't understand the cast change announcements: on Thursday there were twice as many cast changes as tonight but no announcement.

What a difference a cast can make: tonight is miles better than Thursday thus far. Hayward & Corrales are making it seem as if the choreography is an outcome of their emotions, Nunez & Tissi made it look like they were just doing the choreography (and a lift that I thought was problematic on Thursday definitely was).

Loving Ball as Tybalt (having seen him as Romeo) & Mock is by far the nicest Paris I've seen.

ETA Now wondering whether to bother taking curtain call pics as @Rob S's are bound to be miles better!

That's very interesting what you say about what a difference the casting can make; I may need to re-tune my feelings when I see it again on the 11th at the cinema

I just had tears in my eyes at the wedding scene when Hayward & Corrales looked to be literally tearing themselves apart after their passionate kisses. Compared to Nunez & Tissi who didn't even kiss at all. Brilliant fight between Corrales & Ball. Corrales went for it so hard at the beginning he looked like he nearly fell over!

• Like 9

Corrales, Sambe, Hay, Ball. It was a fantasy evening for this gay ballet fan (and I am assuming it worked the same for ladies as well).

And, of course, Avis!!!

Edited by Texan
  • Like 3

Raw, true, incredibly passionate, and utterly believable performances this evening just left me completely drained. Corrales, Hayward, Sambe, Hay & Ball were phenomenal. Probably the finest Romeo and Juliet I've ever seen. 

• Like 10

I think this evening's performance could have been subtitled "The Agony And The Ecstasy" because Hayward & Corrales seemed to spend most of the time experiencing one or the other with not much in between. The best word to describe their characters' relationship has to be "passion" (whereas I'd describe Lamb/Muntagirov as "romance"). While the final scene was very moving I wasn't thinking "why must this happen?" because it seemed right: from the moment Corrales left after their wedding night the progression to tragedy felt inevitable, that feelings so strong couldn't last in the real world. They have surely got to film Hayward's Juliet some time in the next few years, she is so utterly suited to the role. (She & Hamilton are the 2 Juliets I've seen who looked absolutely right, to my inexperienced eyes, in MacMillan's choreography.) I suppose they couldn't get the cinecast because Corrales isn't a principal - yet, I'd be amazed if he isn't soon. This is the first significant role I've seen him in, having booked off him catching my eye as the lead Hungarian Officer in Mayerling (I did also book to see him in Patineurs but of course that didn't happen) & I certainly hope he'll stay uninjured for next season. He's the shortest Romeo I've seen so didn't always have the lines that the others had (I'm not sure I'd necessarily choose to see him in a pure classical role) but he was explosive both in dancing & acting. Talk about Latin passion & not just in the Juliet scenes: after he killed Tybalt his emotions were almost as much as Lady Capulet's - I felt that if Benvolio hadn't hustled him off he might have joined her in rolling on the floor!

This was my 3rd time seeing Sambe's Mercutio so while he was excellent again I wasn't concentrating so much on him this time. For instance, during his death scene I was also watching Ball's reactions. I thought Ball was excellent as Tybalt, in fact I'm not sure I didn't prefer him as Tybalt to as Romeo. His Tybalt's key characteristic seemed to be arrogance. He wasn't outright vicious, unlike Whitehead & Hirano, but entitled & prepared to fight anyone who didn't do what he wanted. My 2nd time seeing Hay as Benvolio. He's very strong & I thought better matched to Sambe's Mercutio than Zuchetti's, as I felt he slightly overshadowed Zuchetti. I think tonight's trio of Montague men is the best-matched I've seen, both in terms of dancing & being believable as close friends (though Andrijashenko did manage remarkably good chemistry with his considering they were working on 1 week's acquaintence). I really liked Mock as Paris. As others have already said, he acts like he actually cares about Juliet & it seems a shame that he dies through no fault of his own.

It was nice to see McNally in a proper dance role tonight as Romeo's Harlot, after seeing her as the Nurse 2 or 3 times. Cowley was unrecognisable compared to last week's Medusa as Benvolio's Harlot. Hinkis replaced Crawford (again, she also did so on Thursday) as Mercutio's Harlot. I enjoyed seeing Gartside as Friar Lawrence, having seen him as Lord Capulet 3 times. I haven't managed to see him as Tybalt though. I think he may he the only one I've missed. Have there been 6 in total?

I keep on meaning to ask this & forgetting. Does anyone know who the male dancer who is in the second row of the Capulets' dance on the far stage right, behind Paris? Tall, striking bone structure, & dressed at the greener end of the costume spectrum. He's caught my eye each time. I did go through headshots & thought possibly Dubreuil but I'm not sure.

I am so glad that tonight was my last R&J viewing. To have ended with Thursday's performance would have been disappointing. Hayward/Corrales are my joint favourite leading couple along with Hamilton/Andrijashenko & I thought tonight had the stronger supporting male cast. I was surprised that Hayward & Corrales only got 2 front-of-curtain calls compared to Nunez & Tissi's 3 on Thursday. The other way around would have been a fairer reflection of the respective merits of the performances! I wish I'd had a less restricted seat for tonight (SC C20) but am so glad I was close enough to see the acting & it's probably a good thing it was Hayward & Corrales' last performance or I'd be bankrupting myself trying to see them again!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, annamk said:

Raw, true, incredibly passionate, and utterly believable performances this evening just left me completely drained. Corrales, Hayward, Sambe, Hay & Ball were phenomenal. Probably the finest Romeo and Juliet I've ever seen. 

I totally agree, Anna.  Tonight’s performance was pure, joyous perfection and I feel privileged and eternally grateful to have been there.  Because I didn’t watch it, I experienced it.  

• Like 6

It’s so interesting how we see things differently. I found the afternoon  with Stix-Brunel and Hirano on a totally different level. It’s been a while since any performance of R and J moved me to tears, but this afternoon had me in floods. Her performance was so nuanced that she was totally believable and her emotions were raw. For me she was a complete Juliet.  

I agree about Ball’s Tybalt, which was outstanding, but otherwise this evening I was unmoved. 

Sorry!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I totally agree, Anna.  Tonight’s performance was pure, joyous perfection and I feel privileged and eternally grateful to have been there.  Because I didn’t watch it, I experienced it.  

Yes, I went tonight having seen them first time round and couldn't resist picking up a late return to see them again.  The whole cast are the dream team for me  Matthew Ball, Marcelino Sambe and James Hay -  aarrhh!   Extra nuances in all their acting tonight, including some very cheeky ones. The three harlots - superb. The problem is knowing where to look in the market scenes.  

… and Hayward/ Corrales had upped their passion /performance several notches from first time round.  Goose bumps / joy / and I can't sleep.  James Hay has posted a lovely photo on his Twitter feed.  

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, alison said:

My goodness, Dawnstar - for someone who wasn't even going to the ballet a few years ago, you really have caught the bug!

Not even a few years ago but up until last October, though I had seen a handful over the years. The bug for certain ballets, yes. I was feeling a good deal less enthusiastic last Saturday evening! Out of what I've seen thus far it's the MacMillans that have grabbed me the most. I'm also basically incapable of taking a mild interest in anything - I'm either very interested or uninterested - probably due to having Asperger's.

• Like 2

A little hesitant to share, but I very much enjoyed Marianela Nuñez as Juliet the other night. Her happiness throughout earlier scenes only led to a greater sense of tragedy as events turned worse and worse. I do feel that the pairing lacked chemistry and also the instinctive trust and confidence that would hopefully be there with a well-rehearsed pair whereas this was under-rehearsed. Tissi was fine but I just didn’t feel like he’d had the time to develop the role or partnership so it felt a little lacking. Last time R&J was performed I saw Marianela as Juliet with Soares as Romeo and it was one of the most moving performances I’ve ever seen of this ballet. It’s just a shame that we never got to see Reece Clarke partner her, I think that could have been a really good option.

I have to agree with the above posters that the Hayward/Corrales cast was the dream team, I saw their second performance and it was just superstar performances across the board. I was also lucky enough to go to the one public O’Sullivan/Sambé performance and they were marvellous together.

Just one cast left for me now, roll on 11th June.

• Like 9

This has been such a long run since March, with seven out of eight principals cast to dance Juliet (as well as a first soloist and a soloist). There have been some really wonderful Juliets and Romeos and a great supporting cast but the one I am most looking forward to seeing is the Naghdi/Ball cast, the cast chosen to close the Romeo&Juliet run.  Their debut performance back in October 2015 was something truly remarkable and unforgettable and anyone who was lucky enough to have been there will remember the enormous buzz they created. Ball was still a member of the corps de ballet and Naghdi was a soloist and it will be so exciting to see them reprise their role in R&J as principals. I for one have been waiting for four years to see the Naghdi/Ball reunion and I am so looking forward to next Saturday and the live cinema relay on 11th June. The RB has produced some truly unforgettable Juliet's in the past, and presently the Company is again delivering some great Juliet's (and Romeo's too).

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 11

It has been a great privilege to have been able to see the Hayward/Corrales partnership develop over their three performances,  from different viewing points in the auditorium- last night from my first ever front row seat.  A complete joy to be able to see everyone's acting and dancing from so close up - well worth the disappearance of the bottom couple of inches of their feet.

As if there wasn't enough happening on the stage, I found peering into the orchestra pit fascinating, and being able to see who was playing each of the (now) well known themes. You really get an appreciation of how the whole music  comes together.  Good to see many more ladies in the orchestra now compared to on DVDs from a few years back.

The French horn section (seated on the extreme left as seen from the audience) all got up and left before the end of the final Act 1 PDD - not being needed for the last few minutes. Perhaps they were desperate to be first to the bar. This may explain some rather wobbly notes later on!

It was good to see Leticia Stock back again, as posted above, and I loved that Romany Pajdak also got a bouquet at the end. 

The three boys got up to all sorts of tricks - Sambe jumped on Tybalt's little stool as he exited after his cheeky dance, which I don't remember before, and didn't one or other of them poke Tybalt in the rear at one point? 

But back to the main pair- a really lovely partnership has developed here, and it is making me think of where they might feature in forthcoming castings. Manon  perhaps? I would not be surprised....

Edited by Richard LH
Sp.
  • Like 7

Ha ha Dawnstar I absolutely love your phrase...... " if Benvolio hadn't hustled him off the stage he ( Romeo) might have been rolling around the floor with her"( Lady Capulet)....... I just love the way Corrales always goes for it. I just can't wait to see him in other roles now with the Royal. ( Please stay Caesar) He will almost certainly make up for a bit of a lesser classical line ( which I do love to see usually) with his wonderful passion for whatever he is performing.

I think that particular casting was the dream casting for me ......but I did love Stix Brunell yesterday afternoon as Juliet.

I thought Hirano was much much better than I imagined he would be as Romeo and he got better as the ballet went on.

The final scene did move me to tears at the matinee yesterday which strangely it didn't with Hayward and Corrales on Tuesday much as I loved them both........and must have been generally pretty good as I was nursing a possible fractured elbow at the performance yesterday ( tripped over the garden hose) but forgot all about it whilst actually watching the ballet! 

I think Hayward and Stix Brunell are two perfect Juliets ....though very different. 

I haven't booked to see the Naghdi/ Ball performance as I'm usually in a class on Tuesday evenings ( paid for the term!) and already missed two to see Hayward and Corrales ( and Emerging Dancer) but looks like one way or the other I won't be dancing for at least the next couple of weeks now so will try to get a ticket to see them on the 11th.....as am sure that could be another winning performance!

Just editing as just seen your post BBB! How lovely of you. You will be happy to know that a bit of a collective "Aaaah" went up in the Amphi when Romany was presented with her bouquet!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I haven't booked to see the Naghdi/ Ball performance as I'm usually in a class on Tuesday evenings ( paid for the term!) 

There is an Encore R&J screening on Sunday 16th June should you wish to see this cast too :) 

• Like 2

Last night was wonderful. A joy to see Francesca Hayward back on stage, and arguably better than ever! So spontaneous, fluent, and swift-footed. She fully conveyed the youth of Juliet, which made her brilliantly acted final scenes quite devastating. Cesar Corrales was a charming and passionate Romeo, who made their whirlwind romance completely believable.
My companion however had some misgivings about Corrales' dancing and suggested that Hayward might have been better paired with Mercutio (Marcelino Sambé). To an extent I agree with this, and I wonder why not more is made of the Hayward/Sambé partnership - they are so well-suited to each other.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

The three boys got up to all sorts of tricks - Sambe jumped on Tybalt's little stool as he exited after his cheeky dance, which I don't remember before, and didn't one or other of them poke Tybalt in the rear at one point?

If I remember correctly that was Sambe too. It was when Tybalt is standing leaning on his sword & in the other performances I've seen Mercutio passed behind him & used his sword to knock Tybalt's sword so he dropped it, but last night Sambe poked him instead. 'd assumed it was something specific to this cast but it sounds like Sambe must have just done it on impulse if it was different to your other viewing of this cast.

Some not-as-good-as- @Rob S's curtain call photos.

• Like 9

I missed that Sambe poked him, I just saw that he did't knock the sword away like other Mercutios have....I can't remember what he did when he was Mercutio in the Sarah Lamb cast.

Your photos are great Dawnstar, we must've been sat very close, I was C17 (on the end)  in Stalls Circle, nice and close but couldn't quite see Juliet playing her lute without leaning forward

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I missed that Sambe poked him, I just saw that he did't knock the sword away like other Mercutios have....I can't remember what he did when he was Mercutio in the Sarah Lamb cast.

Your photos are great Dawnstar, we must've been sat very close, I was C17 (on the end)  in Stalls Circle, nice and close but couldn't quite see Juliet playing her lute without leaning forward

I'm pretty sure that the other 2 times I've seen Sambe as Mercutio he knocked the sword away.

Thanks but I feel they're still not as sharp as I would like & have too much spotlight wash, especially the one of the 3 men. I was C20. I'm sorry I didn't know you were sat so near or we could have said hello. I could just see Juliet playing the lute - although it looked at one point like Hayward was so busy looking at Corrales that she might have stopped playing! - but did feel I missed a few other things that I would have like to have seen. I was sat in the exactly equivalent seat on the other side of the stalls circle on Thursday & I felt the view from there was slightly preferable.

Edited by Dawnstar

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm pretty sure that the other 2 times I've seen Sambe as Mercutio he knocked the sword away.

Thanks but I feel they're still not as sharp as I would like & have too much spotlight wash, especially the one of the 3 men. I was C20. I'm sorry I didn't know you were sat so near or we could have said hello. I could just see Juliet playing the lute - although it looked at one point like Hayward was so busy looking at Corrales that she might have stopped playing! - but did feel I missed a few other things that I would have like to have seen. I was sat in the exactly equivalent seat on the other side of the stalls circle on Thursday & I felt the view from there was slightly preferable.

That's the second time I've sat in that seat and unknowingly been close to someone I know of!!🤣

Did you try using the spot metering? Did you crop them? I presume twitter resized them. 

I have already written about the Hayward/Corrales cast so will try not to bore you again.  I can only reiterate what I said about this up-thread.    What I really want to emphasise is what raised their three shows up to another level was the sensational supporting cast.  Every last one of them contributed hugely to making this one of the most beautiful, believable, emotional, technically wonderful and heart-wrenching performances of this ballet that I have ever seen.

The three boys (Corrales/Sambe/Hay) were as one.....a three-way bromance that I felt has spanned the ages:  were they in Renaissance Italy, or were they in 21st century London?  It could just as easily have been either.  They joshed around beautifully together, and you could really feel the affection they held for each other.  They are each so different, and each had something different to give, but it all coalesced into one amazing little band of brothers, who had each others' backs.  This makes it so easy to see and understand Romeo's fury at Tybalt when Mercutio dies.  And boy was Corrales furious!!    I just didn't know where to look with my binoculars;  although this was my third of three of their shows, there was still so much to learn, to see, to enjoy.  I could hardly take my eyes off Matthew Ball, already staking a claim to being one of the best Tybalts ever (no surprise there, considering he was coached in the role by another classic Tybalt, Gary Avis).  The same goes for 'Marcicutio'.....again, already one of the finest Mercutios I can ever remember after 40 years of watching this ballet.  And James Hay's incredibly expressive eyes were magnetic.  Whilst Mercutio and Romeo sniggered after being told off by the Prince of Verona, Benvolio looked suitably chastened.  Once again their mask dance in Act 1 showed how very in tune the three boys are with each other.  So beautifully done, and none of them trying to be the one who everyone notices;  they are a trio;  they dance like one and they act like one.  Seldom has the loss of these five young lives made me feel so barren, and so angry at the waste.

Once again Gary Avis, Christina Arestis, Thomas Mock and Romany Pajdak all had their parts to play in enhancing an amazing 'core cast.'   

And once again Corrales and Hayward broke my heart.  Their balcony scene was danced with such joy, such abandon and such exuberance that I totally believed in their young love.  As an old cynic I often think of R&J 'oh come on now, really?  Two young people are going to kill themselves for each other after knowing each other for only 48 hours??'  Well these two made that seem completely logical and believable.  The wedding scene, where Corrales just couldn't tear his eyes away from his love.  Their heartbreak in the tomb scene,  mirrored by my own, willing each of them to wake up.  I just loved how devastated Corrales was when he covered Hayward's face in kisses as she lay on the floor, and not even that woke her up.  He wrung his hands in despair and it was this that made him realise that she was really 'dead'....if his kisses couldn't wake her, nothing could.   When the lump in my throat (which had been there for most of the evening) turned into tears was Hayward's sad smile as she looked at Romeo in her final seconds;  so happy that this was the last thing she would ever see on this earth, and so happy to have shared his love.     I am so happy to have shared all three of their performances, and I so hope that they are cast together in future, a lot.  They have such a wonderful, natural and emotional connection, and of course chemistry.....I am praying to the ballet gods for their Manon, followed by SL and SB......  In my dreams, probably.  

• Like 21

Many thanks Sim - I’d been very much hoping you were going to post your substantive thoughts and you have.  I couldn’t make last night and will treasure their second performance with such a fabulous cast.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am praying to the ballet gods for their Manon, followed by SL and SB......  In my dreams, probably.  

Lovely review Sim :) I’m joining in your prayers ! Coppelia too !

• Like 1

Ive only been close  enough to get the full effect of Hays magnetic eyes once ( not in R and J) and highly expressive they are too!! it was after this performance that I fell a little bit in love with Hay ...as the artist...his dancing always good has gone from strength to strength in last year or so as well! 

A great review again Sim many thanks....and  that combo of Corrales Sambe Hay and Ball will stay with me for a long time and is going to be very hard to beat!! 

• Like 5

I agree - a great review, Sim.  I am totally simpatico with all that you say.  

I'd also love to see Corrales/Hayward in Fille.  (Let's let a little sun in, huh.) They are, after all, - together and apart - joy personified.  I would miss the Sambe/Hayward combo last time which was SO spectacular ... but I have a feeling a Sambe/O'Sullivan Colas/Lise (with Hay or Ball - and I wouldn't have said the latter before that Tybalt - as Alain) would be equally worthy of treasuring.  No trade-offs here :)   NULA!!

How lucky we are to be in the midst of so many extraordinary artists just now.  

• Like 6