The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

That tiger reminds me of a large stuffed toy one I once saw in an expensive London toyshop. It had the same Disney-fied expression on its face. Presumably Solor was in danger of being licked to death by it.

Edited by Fiz
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 4

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I found last Saturday’s matinee enjoyable from the sheer beauty of the dancing from Takada/Naghdi/McRae I did not feel any emotional involvement and to be honest I wasn’t surprised as I find La Bayadere a bit too silly to get involved in the story and I just go for the dancing spectacle. Last night, by contrast (and a surprise to me), I was overwhelmed 😭 with Osipova’s portrayal of Nikiya, particularly in the snake-basket scene and in the final act, I know I was involved because I was just willing her not to take the basket... It was a real privilege to see Osipova/Muntagirov/Nuñez on stage at the same time. Nunez’s dancing was classical ballet at its finest and Muntagirov was simply the best. Marcelino Sambé was a most excellent Bronze Idol, smooth was the word in my mind watching him dance. The scrim was also back in full force during the shades scene and Act 3 :(.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

That tiger reminds me of a large stuffed toy one I once saw in an expensive London toyshop. It had the same Disney-fied expression on its face. Presumably Solor was in danger of being licked to death by it.

The husband of my sister in law with whom I went at opening night and saw for the first time La Bayadere, whispered to me, when he saw the tiger:  I bet the tiger died just because of sickness and age and Solor found him already dead...

• Like 3

Going to a performance with the leads drawn from Muntagirov/Corrales/Nunez/Osipova is a bit like choosing three cards from a deck made entirely of aces - you know you're onto a winner, but the actual hand you draw will have subtle and interesting variations. Well, we were dealt a unique hand last night with Vadim stepping in for the injured Corrales, coupled with the second outing of Osipova as Nikiya and Nunez as Gamzatti. 

And are there three better dancers to take on these roles (in fact, is there a better trio of dancers in the world at this point in time, full-stop?)?

In terms of the totality of the performance, last night's combination was the best (though it will always be marginal!) of the five I've seen drawn from these four leads. If anything, the minor niggles of a rather under-powered High Brahmin (who also managed to give away to the left half of the audience the 'secret' of how the Bronze Idol disappears) plus a lacklustre second shade, acted as a reference point from which to triangulate the giddy heights achieved by the rest of the cast. 

As she has done before to great effect, Nunez played Gazmatti with the steely entitledness that came with her royal status. We had glimpses of the inherent fragility of that polished, glassy exterior during her confrontation with Nikiya in Act 1, and it was shattered in Act 3 along with the temple when she was forced to confront the depth of Solor's love for Nikiya.

Muntagirov has it all - looks, lines, height, landings, projection, presence. His acting is also improving (in leaps and bounds? :unsure:); his anguish last night was palpable. And, to top it off, he just seems so 'nice'! There's no more to be said!

I can pay no greater compliment to Osipova than to say she didn't turn up last night - instead, she sent someone called Nikiya to take her place. She was so utterly convincing, and I was so utterly convinced. And it was seemingly random brush strokes that built up the picture of Nikiya into the masterpiece presented to us; her panicked reaction to being confronted by Gamzatti in Act 1 - the contrast between high and low-born opened up before us like a chasm; the clatter of the knife she dropped to the stage - which brought home the gravity of her violent intent; the transitions from hopeful joy when showing Solor the bottle of antidote, to blank incomprehension when he didn't respond accordingly, and then to a conscious decision to die - which is oh so subtly different to a decision not to live!!
Osipova is perhaps the most honest and selfless dancer I have ever seen; she exposes every fibre of her character on stage, and in doing so she fades from view: her Giselle is not 'Osipova dancing Giselle', but just 'Giselle'; her Anastasia is not 'Osipova dancing Anastasia', but just 'Anastasia'. That, to me, is a mark of greatness.

Then there is the pairing of Muntagirov and Osipova. I don't think it's hyperbole to say we are blessed when they are cast together. For opening night, for the broadcast 'rehearsal', and for the broadcast itself, their Act 1 Solor/Gamzatti betrothal PDD was an absolute joy to behold - but, of course, their relationship to each other in those roles is not one of unbridled love.

But, sometimes, fate intervenes and unintentionally casts them together in roles that celebrate mutual love - and that seems to catalyse a natural chemistry that exists between them. It wasn't too long ago that Muntagirov took over from an injured Bonelli to partner her in Sylvia - a fundamentally daft, but thoroughly enjoyable, romp through mythology - complete with elastic-band bows and fluffy-toy lambs. But somehow they took their Act 3 PDD and elevated it to a completely different level - it became an exposition and celebration of their profound love for each other, and it sang out from the stage in a way that caught my breath. Similarly, fate conspired to have Muntagirov's Solor and Osipova's Nikiya explore and express their mutual love last night; the same magic was evident (particularly in Act 2), as was me catching my breath.
I think fate is trying to send Kevin O'Hare a message - cast these two together more often; don't rely on fate!

A few other observations, mostly positive...
Finally, I've got to see a 'gold' Bronze Idol! Sambe was wonderful; powerful, precise - all articulated limbs and poses. The way he finished the spin towards the end of his piece spoke of total control.
And, speaking of control, Marianela's extended balance in the Act 2 PDD was incredible; I know there have been views expressed about individuals showboating their technique to the detriment of the role, but it fitted this showcase PDD wonderfully, and drew spontaneous applause from an very appreciative audience.
The corps were on brilliant - potentially flawless - form in Act2. Again, extended and well-deserved applause from the audience.

Anna Rose O'Sullivan - twinkle, twinkle little star. There she was rehearsing Infra on the Insight broadcast on Thursday evening, and dancing a superb first shade last night; what a contrast.
There were no dropped lamps in Act 3 (which was very slightly disappointing as I find it interesting to watch the dancers recover them... 🙂 ).

Even the snake seemed to have improved its 'stage presence'; it was bigger, longer, badder - more snaky! Has it been taking extension lessons? :huh:
But, like the monster at the end of a horror flick that 'comes back from the dead' to give us one last shock, the scrim has reappeared for Acts 2 and 3! Aaaaargh!!! 

• Like 22

Fab review, nogoat. I came here to say something similar but less eloquent, but I think you saved the board from my attempts of explaining why last nights assortment of aces was the most exquisite for me. If the Shades and Brahmin had been the same as in the cinema cast, I might have been permanently spoiled for all future Bayaderes, forever whispering how nothing can match my peak-Bayadere in 2018 when watching new performances. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FrankH said:

They should have spent more on the tiger.

They should have invested in an elephant for Solor to ride in on for his betrothal. Nothing less does credit to performances of the calibre  of Muntagirov’s. And, if the Russians can do it, why can’t we?

• Like 2

It was a matchless evening, perfect in every nuance, although I did find myself searching out the ‘dangerous Orientalism’ that has been the subject of much debate.

For me, it is blindingly obvious that we are transported to a mythical country somewhere in the Orient.  There are shades of Thailand, India, and goodness knows how many other countries but all depicted in the past. This is hokum land which the audience can enjoy on a journey through its delights.  You would,surely, had to have spent your life in Bognor or Mud Creek without benefit of books, newspapers or any outside influencers, to believe that Bayadere accurately depicts...?  I think we can say the danger is on a par with my winning the lottery when I never buy a ticket.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

They should have invested in an elephant for Solor to ride in on for his betrothal. Nothing less does credit to performances of the calibre  of Muntagirov’s. And, if the Russians can do it, why can’t we?

There was an elephant due in rehearsals but it successfully auditoned for Cats.  

• Like 8

Loving these reviews: I can't wait to see the Nunez-Osipova face off in cinema. Sad for Cesar's injury (did he only dance one show?) but a unique opportunity for audiences to see the two ballerinas switching roles opposite Vadim's Solor.

Edited by MRR
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2018 at 00:34, FrankH said:

Did one of the corps have a fall? Out of the corner of my eye, while looking at another part of the screen, I saw her pick herself up from the floor. I wondered if she had slipped over.

I couldn't see a "snake". Had somebody forgotten to put it in the bouquet?

I don't recall any response to FrankH's first point - apologies if this has been covered.  Yes one dancer did slip.  A fast entrance and then taking up position looks incredibly high risk to me and there are occasions when any dancer can slip.  But as you went on to say the recovery was very nimble.

There has been some discussion about the snake and I'm quite sure Luca Acri left the stage with a snake.  I have to say I'm more than a little unsure as to whether the snake was in the basket.  I'd seen very clearly in the theatre when Akane Takada threw the snake after it bit her but in the cinema I didn't see the snake in the basket and couldn't tell if Marianela Nunez threw a snake.  I wasn't sure whether to read anything into Petroc Trelawny's quip 'if you're given a basket of flowers, check that there isn't a snake concealed' (almost by way of explanation) or if he was competing with Darcey Bussell's 'don't try this at home' about the Mayerling bedroom PDDs.  One suggestion put to me is that Luca Acri may have brought the snake on stage himself hidden in his hand.  I'll look forward to tomorrow's encore but may still be none the wiser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I don't recall any response to FrankH's first point - apologies if this has been covered.  Yes one dancer did slip.  A fast entrance and then taking up position looks incredibly high risk to me and there are occasions when any dancer can slip.  But as you went on to say the recovery was very nimble.

There has been some discussion about the snake and I'm quite sure Luca Acri left the stage with a snake.  I have to say I'm more than a little unsure as to whether the snake was in the basket.  I'd seen very clearly in the theatre when Akane Takada threw the snake after it bit her but in the cinema I didn't see the snake in the basket and couldn't tell if Marianela Nunez threw a snake.  I wasn't sure whether to read anything into Petroc Trelawny's quip 'if you're given a basket of flowers, check that there isn't a snake concealed' (almost by way of explanation) or if he was competing with Darcey Bussell's 'don't try this at home' about the Mayerling bedroom PDDs.  One suggestion put to me is that Luca Acri may have brought the snake on stage himself hidden in his hand.  I'll look forward to tomorrow's encore but may still be none the wiser.

I think it was just really bad camera work. The snake was there but the camera didn't catch it. You could just see Luca with it as he ran off the stage, but even that wasn't clearly captured  and the snake is small.

I went to see the same performance I had seen on stage at the cinema and it is SO different. Loads of close ups and I loved seeing their faces so clearly, which is the reason I try to sit so close to the stage when I go.  But you get a different perspective at the cinema from the theatre and both are good for different reasons.  I do get really frustrated at the cinema because I want to applaud and no one does where I go (Staines).  I took my husband to show him why I spend so much time watching the Royal Ballet and he didn't fall asleep once! This is a major achievement.  

• Like 9

I'm sure many of you have already seen it but ROH are using Yasmine Nagdhi dancing the slow variation - seen on Tuesday's screening, to advertise the Encore screenings of the performance. She is so utterly beautiful in this variation her control and her smile as the music quickens. I shared it on FB and quite a few of my friends normally uninterested in ballet actually 'liked' it. I think ROH used the best excerpt here 😍

• Like 10

7 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

... I did find myself searching out the ‘dangerous Orientalism’ that has been the subject of much debate. For me, it is blindingly obvious that we are transported to a mythical country somewhere in the Orient...

When Jawaharlal Neruh visited the USSR in the 1950s, while in Leningrad, he and Indira Gandhi were invited to see “La Bayadere” at the Kirov Theatre. They enjoyed the performance, were seen clapping in the Tsar’s Box and later Neruh asked his interpreter: “In which country the action was taking place?”

• Like 6