The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

Loved the final performance tonight with Matthew Ball, Lauren Cuthbertson and Mayara Magri. Was thinking how strange it was to see Gamzatti played so differently to Nunez (although really liked her gentler style) then bumped into Marianela in the ladies loos which made my night. Shortly before that I almost tripped over Matthew Bourne... And then again in the next interval. I think there was another choreographer in tonight also but was sporting a bit of unfamiliar facial hair so wasn’t completely sure.... 

Having seen Corrales in the role on 5 Nov, I wondered how I would enjoy Ball in comparison. If I had to compare, I would say that he is a much better actor and connected with his leading ladies and the audience from the outset. 

Cuthbertson was a beautiful Nikiya, actually much preferred her to Osipova in this role. Lovely that Magri got the opportunity to play Gamzatti and enjoyed her more fragile princess.  Her solos were danced beautifully and feel lucky to have seen her take a principal role.

Great selection of soloists as d’jampee dancers, pas d’action dancers and shades. Kaneko, Stix Brunell, O’Sullivan, Hinkis, Hamilton, Calvert. Hamilton’s shades solo looked a little awkward and am wondering if she might have hurt herself early on.

Corps de ballet were stunning in the white act and the audience gave rousing - and lengthy applause after their first sequence. Wonderful to celebrate them but they then had to remain still and in position for longer!! 

Finally, for me, it’s not Bayadere without Gary Avis as the High Brahmin! Was wonderful to have him on stage tonight. 

Overall a great end to the run, but sad it has come to an end as I would love to squeeze in just one more performance.

• Like 6

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayara was quite magical tonight, she really shone. Also loved Beatriz and the lovely Romany. I am declaring all ballet a pc free zone as I like nothing better than getting into any unlikely story/ impossible account and just enjoying it for what it is! In fact I feel thats the whole point really it.is.not.real.everyone.....

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I don't recall any response to FrankH's first point - apologies if this has been covered.  Yes one dancer did slip.  A fast entrance and then taking up position looks incredibly high risk to me and there are occasions when any dancer can slip.  But as you went on to say the recovery was very nimble.

There has been some discussion about the snake and I'm quite sure Luca Acri left the stage with a snake.  I have to say I'm more than a little unsure as to whether the snake was in the basket.  I'd seen very clearly in the theatre when Akane Takada threw the snake after it bit her but in the cinema I didn't see the snake in the basket and couldn't tell if Marianela Nunez threw a snake.  I wasn't sure whether to read anything into Petroc Trelawny's quip 'if you're given a basket of flowers, check that there isn't a snake concealed' (almost by way of explanation) or if he was competing with Darcey Bussell's 'don't try this at home' about the Mayerling bedroom PDDs.  One suggestion put to me is that Luca Acri may have brought the snake on stage himself hidden in his hand.  I'll look forward to tomorrow's encore but may still be none the wiser.

Thanks John for this information. So there was a slip. I hope the young lady involved didn't feel too bad about it, because she retrieved the situation in line with the excellence of the RB's corps.

It really didn't matter much whether the snake was there or not. Even though many of us didn't see it, it didn't, at least for me, make things any less believable. Which again makes me wonder about whether we needed the tiger to show that Solor is a "warrior". In his interview I think Vadim Muntagirov said that showing you were a warrior involved mainly leaping about a lot and looking fit - both things he is certainly extremely good at. He doesn't need the added proof of a mangy creature which, as has been pointed out, looks like it died of some ghastly disease.

I suggest that when La Bayadère is revived, the tiger is omitted. And we don't want Peregrine yanked out of worthy retirement, to play a part he is as ill suited for, as Melissa Hamilton is for the more classical roles in ballet. I suggest that instead the tiger is replaced by  "Captive enemy warrior". And there is a perfect person to play this role. I refer to Mr Ian Taylor, the chairman of the ROH, whose recent statements, in particular in the interview he gave to the Evening Standard, have aroused the ire of many, both in this forum and elsewhere. Especially the rather peculiar idea that because the Ring sold out so quickly, they should have made the ticket prices higher. This has been a PR disaster which I would hope he would wish to redeem.

Imagine then Mr Taylor, strung up upside down (naked of course)*. That would be highly symbolic of victory in the battle between the forces of pure art, led by the divine Muntagirov, and those of ... well, the opposite, epitomised by Mr Taylor.

He could use the increased publicity and interest that such a spectacle would generate, as a reason to raise ticket prices still higher!

*I apologise, most sincerely, if this image will keep you awake at night, or put you off your next meal. My only excuse is that it's very late, and I'm getting old.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Fiz said:

Sim, it was in the VTs. Both Darcey and Kevin said it and then it was emphasised several times that the place where La Bayadere occurs is not a real place. 

The next thing which might happen is for the RB to think that it can't show La Bayadere again. What a nonsense that would be after this triumph for the Company.

Feeling sad that it's over but off to the cinema today for one last indulgence.

Agree about Magri last night (seen from a distance and projecting well) and Ball had gone up a notch, much aided by ridding himself of the turban from the betrothal scene onwards.

Thank you SHADES!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, capybara said:

They should have invested in an elephant for Solor to ride in on for his betrothal. Nothing less does credit to performances of the calibre  of Muntagirov’s. And, if the Russians can do it, why can’t we?

Because elephants have no brakes.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Nogoat said:

And are there three better dancers to take on these roles (in fact, is there a better trio of dancers in the world at this point in time, full-stop?)?

Both those suggestions are highly  debatable, Nogoat!  Everyone has their own ideas, but however great these three (Nunez, Osipova, Muntagirov) are generally viewed (and I do like all of them very much) they  are not my own first choice for these three particular roles at present. And as for "in the world"...I do think that is going a bit  too far, assuming as it does  some  kind of  universal   knowledge and ability to judge a multitude of superb dancers with different attributes. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

Loved last night. Knockout performances from Lauren Cuthbertson and Matthew Ball who I felt demonstrated great chemistry - their acting skills really take it up an extra notch for me. I can’t wait to see their Romeo & Juliet. 

I felt Matthew Ball’s Solor obliged to continue with his betrothal and marriage to Gamzatti out of duty, but his heart remained with Nikiya throughout. The role seemed to suit Matthew very well, strong solos and attentive partnering. He plays ‘tortured noble in love’ so movingly! 

First time I’ve seen Mayara Magri in a principal role and thought her dancing was fantastic. Her expression looked a little tense up close, and I didn’t quite feel the same depth of characterisation coming across, but clearly a huge talent with a brilliant future ahead. Can see her excelling in Don Q.

The corps’ entrance in the kingdom of the shades was sublime, absolutely exquisite. I was completely transported. The extended applause was thoroughly deserved. Anna Rose O Sullivan a delightful first shade. 

Feeling a bit despondent that it’s all over now. How quickly can that DVD be released?! 

• Like 7

In reply to Richards post ...I wonder if Nogoat meant that not that they were the BEST trio in the World ...there may be others equal to them but you won't see much better than this anywhere in the World.

of course Nogoat can speak for him/ herself!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Riva said:

Loved last night. Knockout performances from Lauren Cuthbertson and Matthew Ball who I felt demonstrated great chemistry - their acting skills really take it up an extra notch for me. I can’t wait to see their Romeo & Juliet. 

I felt Matthew Ball’s Solor obliged to continue with his betrothal and marriage to Gamzatti out of duty, but his heart remained with Nikiya throughout. The role seemed to suit Matthew very well, strong solos and attentive partnering. He plays ‘tortured noble in love’ so movingly! 

First time I’ve seen Mayara Magri in a principal role and thought her dancing was fantastic. Her expression looked a little tense up close, and I didn’t quite feel the same depth of characterisation coming across, but clearly a huge talent with a brilliant future ahead. Can see her excelling in Don Q.

The corps’ entrance in the kingdom of the shades was sublime, absolutely exquisite. I was completely transported. The extended applause was thoroughly deserved. Anna Rose O Sullivan a delightful first shade. 

Feeling a bit despondent that it’s all over now. How quickly can that DVD be released?! 

I think Mayara would excel in the "gypsy queen" type roles. Two Pigeons comes to mind as indeed Don Q. So pleased to see her being more prominent on the stage over the last year or so,  and of course to receive the deserved promotion.  Nice lady too.

I too was at the Friday evening performance. I'd booked hoping to see Corralles whom I'd never seen but came away enraptured at a faultless, amazing indeed life-enhancing performance that was given by Osipova/Nunez/Muntagirov. They were just stunning together and I rather wish this was the performance that had been filmed.

On a lighter note the lady next to me was reading out the plot summery to her friend and when she had finished the first act the friend said 'Oh I see; a bit like an episode of EastEnders then'!

• Like 8

On 17/11/2018 at 08:57, Geoff said:

For this beginner, there remains something which is not quite sorted out: the Shades alternate (every other one does the arabesque on the right leg, interwoven with all the others on their left) How does that work, why is it done and what is the impact (visually as well as physically)? 

Here is a relevant link to another part of the ROH website (haven’t found the clip you mentioned, Fonty, can you help with this as well?:-

Took me a while, Geoff, as I couldn't remember where I found it.  This is the link from Youtube.  Fascinating.  I am not sure if they actually explain why the dancers are on alternate legs, but I skipped through it to find the bit I wanted, which is where they do the changes.  I will have to watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5c1Lw_GTao

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, graemew said:

I think Mayara would excel in the "gypsy queen" type roles. Two Pigeons comes to mind as indeed Don Q. So pleased to see her being more prominent on the stage over the last year or so,  and of course to receive the deserved promotion.  Nice lady too.

Mayara Magri did have the role of "Gypsy Girl" in Two Pigeons back in Dec 2015 and very good she was. The only Don Q I've booked is for Magri on the basis of that performance and I am expecting great things :).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lynette H said:

Trivia note: I was amused to see that the top of the steps in the temple in Act 3 retained a neat rounded imprint of gold paint from where the Idol had been sitting. Once you had spotted it, it was difficult to ignore.....

I also find the ‘skid marks’ strangely distracting. Could Aya not pop out with a wet wipe?

• Like 2

Well my attempts to see La Bayadere at the cinema this week have ended in abject failure.  After Tuesday's debacle I went to the only local-ish encore screening today in Southport only to discover that the whole of the North West's population had decided to go on a day out to Southport.  After 20 incredibly stressful minutes trying to negotiate an overfull car park along with many other drivers in a similar situation and realising that even if I found somewhere straight away I would have missed not only the 15 minute preamble but the start of the performance.  So I drove home in high dudgeon!!!  Thank goodness I hadn't booked the ticket in advance.

Jan, I am so sorry to hear this!

My visit to the cinema was a little bit more successfull, though the screen was very dark (at some point even the Bronze Idol was hidden in the shadows) and I forgot my glasses so I definitely didn´t see any snake though I saw it at Openingnight...

Funny enough on the whole I liked the Opening night better - normally I have no problem to get the magic in the cinema but maybe because of the special buzz of the Opening night I didn´t get the feeling today- very sad! Though I liked Campbell better today...But I prefere Osipovas interpretation from the first night. Muntagirov was still a dream and with Nunez together an absolute wonder! The shades were absolutely beautiful and only very few minor unsteadinesses. The three shades variation were also wonderful though I have to say I missed the little sparkle from Choe, something Takada and Naghdi had.

I also would prefere if Darcey and the presenter whoever it is would stay backstage. It was nice for the interval at Mayerling with the new open up but now it is just distracting and missing a wonderful opportunity to see the dancers on their back to the dressingroom or to the stage etc...Apparently I missed the phone man (I am little  sad abot it to be honest, haha).

There was confusion about the destroyed temple by the audience etc, but no laughing about the tiger (surprisingly), also the programme at the cinema declared Gamzatti as a warrior too and some thought there would be 2 men fighting about Nikiya...

Overall I am glad that I got to see this cast again but on the other side also a little bit sad that I didn´t see any other casts - there were so many other interesting casts (and not only the the three leading dancers) and some lovely reviews about them and I have the feeling I missed something...Now I wait for La Bayadere in Berlin!

Since Sambe didn´t dance yesterday with his regular cast because he got a prize in Portugal may I ask who danced the Idol yesterday?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Jan, I am so sorry to hear this!

My visit to the cinema was a little bit more successfull, though the screen was very dark (at some point even the Bronze Idol was hidden in the shadows) and I forgot my glasses so I definitely didn´t see any snake though I saw it at Openingnight...

Funny enough on the whole I liked the Opening night better - normally I have no problem to get the magic in the cinema but maybe because of the special buzz of the Opening night I didn´t get the feeling today- very sad! Though I liked Campbell better today...But I prefere Osipovas interpretation from the first night. Muntagirov was still a dream and with Nunez together an absolute wonder! The shades were absolutely beautiful and only very few minor unsteadinesses. The three shades variation were also wonderful though I have to say I missed the little sparkle from Choe, something Takada and Naghdi had.

I also would prefere if Darcey and the presenter whoever it is would stay backstage. It was nice for the interval at Mayerling with the new open up but now it is just distracting and missing a wonderful opportunity to see the dancers on their back to the dressingroom or to the stage etc...Apparently I missed the phone man (I am little  sad abot it to be honest, haha).

There was confusion about the destroyed temple by the audience etc, but no laughing about the tiger (surprisingly), also the programme at the cinema declared Gamzatti as a warrior too and some thought there would be 2 men fighting about Nikiya...

Overall I am glad that I got to see this cast again but on the other side also a little bit sad that I didn´t see any other casts - there were so many other interesting casts (and not only the the three leading dancers) and some lovely reviews about them and I have the feeling I missed something...Now I wait for La Bayadere in Berlin!

Since Sambe didn´t dance yesterday with his regular cast because he got a prize in Portugal may I ask who danced the Idol yesterday?

Re Berlin - you won’t be disappointed, but remember the Ratmansky production is a very different animal! *

*but there’s still a tiger too!

• Like 1

Did Sambé get only the one show, then?  I must admit, I was surprised he'd appeared so far down the list of performances, but then he was busy in New York earlier, wasn't he?  To my mind, he was the best Bronze Idol of the ones I saw (although had you asked me to fantasy cast the role before the run began several of its occupants would never even have occurred to me!)

Jan, are there any other Encore screenings anywhere you could get to - they haven't all finished?  I'm wondering - do I want to go and see it a second time?

27 minutes ago, alison said:

Did Sambé get only the one show, then?  I must admit, I was surprised he'd appeared so far down the list of performances, but then he was busy in New York earlier, wasn't he?  To my mind, he was the best Bronze Idol of the ones I saw (although had you asked me to fantasy cast the role before the run began several of its occupants would never even have occurred to me!)

He had two shows (Wednesday and Friday).

D41626B2-A9E3-48D9-9E49-0FA860677AB8.jpeg

349818BD-5B75-4FC2-A14F-808B524C3BA0.jpeg

• Like 5

Just got back from a encore screening of The Royal Ballet of "La Bayadère" and I have to say WOW.

The dancing from the three leads - Natalia Osipova, Vadim Muntagirov and Marianela Núñez was supernova, just sublime. I am hot and cold on Natalia Osipova, sometimes I like her performance, other times I am like not sure, but on this time she pulled out all the stops as Gamzatti, real powerful force which made a nice comparison to the purity of Marianela Núñez as Nikiya, you really felt emotionally invested in all three leads and it transcended what yes is a hokey story but by god such a quality performance!

And the corps de ballet were stunning in the Kingdom of the Shades, precise, in time and just beautiful pure dancing, just impressive strength and depth. Special mention for Yasmine Naghdi and Akane Takada in their roles as shades 2 and 3, the variations were exquisite, it made for a wonderful Act 2, just again excellent quality. 

And I finally got Act III with the destruction of the temple, usually I didn't get why this was added but now I do and I have to say the orchestra sounded positively Wagnerian playing the final section of Minkus music as Solor and Nikiya ascend to the afterlife, it had me in tears.

So yeah a 10/10 performance, so going to buy this when it comes out on Blu-ray, got to keep adding to my Vadim Muntagirov collection.

• Like 3

On 17/11/2018 at 15:06, penelopesimpson said:

It was a matchless evening, perfect in every nuance, although I did find myself searching out the ‘dangerous Orientalism’ that has been the subject of much debate.

You would,surely, had to have spent your life in Bognor or Mud Creek without benefit of books, newspapers or any outside influencers, to believe that Bayadere accurately depicts...?

Hands off Bognor!  I spent all my childhood holidays there, and I found it very exotic.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vanartus said:

Re Berlin - you won’t be disappointed, but remember the Ratmansky production is a very different animal! *

*but there’s still a tiger too!

I am really excited for it by now since I saw the little video about the production which was posted here in the forum! Well, after rhe RB tiger I have no high expectations anymore regarding the animals, haha!

1 hour ago, Thalia said:

It was Calvin Richardson.

Thank you!

53 minutes ago, alison said:

I guess, Sambe and Richardson changed the casts for the last performance so Sambe could fly to Portugal, so both of them danced two shows as Idol. Sambe was the only one I thought of in my fantasy casts and a maybe Luca Acri. Also I had Hay in my mind for the role. I was completely surprised by Campbell and Richardson (and to be honest I still can´t imagine the latter one as Idol)...Wish I had seen more than one Idol as Campbell, it would have been interesting.

Edit: Fantastic photos bangorballettboy, thanks!

Edited by Esmeralda
Addition

And are there three better dancers to take on these roles (in fact, is there a better trio of dancers in the world at this point in time, full-stop?)?

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Both those suggestions are highly  debatable, Nogoat!  Everyone has their own ideas, but however great these three (Nunez, Osipova, Muntagirov) are generally viewed (and I do like all of them very much) they  are not my own first choice for these three particular roles at present. And as for "in the world"...I do think that is going a bit  too far, assuming as it does  some  kind of  universal   knowledge and ability to judge a multitude of superb dancers with different attributes. 

Completely agree, Richard LH - it's all definitely subjective, which is why I sprinkled the sentence with question-marks to make it into what was (in the context of the rest of the post), to me, a bit of a rhetorical musing rather than a factual statement (ie "these are the three best dancers, both for this ballet and in the world"; NB, if I ever make a statement like that, will someone please throw me off the forum!). I guess the problem is that we all need to use shorthand to express thoughts and trigger others; heaven knows my posts go on a bit as they are, so the last thing I want to do is try to fully qualify such thoughts so they cover all eventualities - like a legal contract.

As others have mentioned, Friday's performance was something special - one of those nights that you can hope for, but never predict. I really did come out of the ROH wondering if I'd just seen the best ever Bayadere I was ever likely to see, and what that meant in terms of the stature of the dancers who delivered it. I woke up Saturday morning feeling exactly the same; and I still feel that way. In fact, my partner and I were seriously considering not going to the encore screening this afternoon in case it messed up our memories of Friday (we did, and it didn't).In my view, Friday's performance was that darned good, and my hyperbolic musings reflect more on that than they do in any belief I have (which I haven't) that somehow subjective experience can be turned into uncontestable objective measurement (it can't).

Edited by Nogoat
grammar... :-(
  • Like 6