Bluebird

Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

Please do.  It's driving me nuts, and public booking opens in 10 days.

• Like 1

I certainly will, if their reply actually sheds any light.

it is literally changing now each time I look... and none of it is logical or making any sense....

• Like 1

Balletfanp I see no difference in using the  calendar or the production routes to the info....Morera and Hirano in the matinee on the 20th, and Lamb and Muntagirov in the evening. Is that what you expected? I don't see the problems mentioned here with Two Pigeons either. Is this all some sort of temporary blip that has now been sorted?

PS I know Two Pigeons can be confusing due to the two different bills it appears on.

55 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

About an hour and a half ago I looked at the casting for the Patineurs/Winter Dreams/the Concert, and the casting of the matinee and the evening performances on the 20th appeared to have swapped over - very annoying as I booked specifically to see Muntagirov and Lamb in Winter Dreams. An hour later, and there is now no mention of Muntagirov in any cast!

I booked to see the performance with Muntagirov/Lamb/Naghdi too. I hope it's NOT the case this cast has been swapped over. It's rather nerve-racking this whole issue with their website. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Balletfanp I see no difference in using the  calendar or the production routes to the info....Morera and Hirano in the matinee on the 20th, and Lamb and Muntagirov in the evening. Is that what you expected? I don't see the problems mentioned here with Two Pigeons either. Is this all some sort of temporary blip that has now been sorted?

PS I know Two Pigeons can be confusing due to the two different bills it appears on.

That is what I expected, but weirdly, it’s definitely not what I am seeing - unless I go via the calendar route. Very, very strange - and I don’t THINK I’ve taken leave of my senses - not yet, anyway 🙂.

But the Two Pigeons/Asphodel Meadows listings seemed to have reverted to the expected when I looked ten minutes or so ago - albeit with the names in no logical order.

I’ve now discovered that if you get as far as the casting page, but then click again on the 20th matinee, which gives you the seating plan, and below that all the production details, the performers are all listed but BOTH casts are listed on the same performance - so, two different Mashas, two Vershinins etc. - the first listed name is the one showing on the casting.

Likewise, if you click on the evening performance, the only role listed is the Blue Boy, which is down as TBC - hence all the mess when you look at the casting on that day.

Whoever is looking after all this needs a stiff talking to....

• Like 5

I checked 16 Feb casting by three different routes.

Route1
Home - What’s on - Productions - The Royal Ballet School/Two pigeons dates - 16 Feb date

The casting link is
https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-royal-ballet-school-by-liam-scarlett

It shows 3 names to each main roles. F Hayward/W Bracewell/F Kaneko/V Zuccheti team is not listed.

Route2
Home - What’s on - calendar pick up 16 Feb - pick up The Royal Ballet School/Two pigeons

F Hayward/W Bracewell/F Kaneko/V Zuccheti team appears.

The link is
https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77

Route3
Home - What’s on - pick up Winter period from either under calendar - scroll dow and open ‘view winter 2018/19 calendar of events’ pick up The Royal Ballet School/Two pigeons on 16 Feb

F Hayward/W Bracewell/F Kaneko/V Zuccheti team appears.

The link is
https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77

You can see there are two links which shows completely different names.

Majority of people go to Route1 way unless you want to know what is offered on the specific date.

I would say not many people go to Route3 unless you know it does exist ;)

Thank you for BBB for sharing what we could do with this page.

I have checked just one casting and what I have just written is as of now.

The links may talk the same language at some point.

Now I would like to know which one is correct.
Also I would like ROH website team to polish dancer’s profile page.
Please add the role and performing date when dancers are casted main role.

Currently the programme link is embedded.
It is an extra work, but it is clearer to us.

• Like 5

What you are referring to seems to be problems with the pages that appear if you not yet able to book. If logged in as a Friend, and can book, it seems OK or at least consistent.

Edited by Richard LH

It's a shambles. The most generous interpretation is that they're struggling with the two CMSs (legacy and new) that they've been saddled with, but if that's the case, what does it say for the programme to implement the new one, which, judging by the amount of time it's taken and its lack of progress, must be over-budget by now? (I believe it's being developed in-house: please correct me if I'm wrong.) The template for individual performances has clearly been designed without consideration for mixed bills, which is a pretty shocking oversight, and by the looks of it, things such as casting information, which you'd expect to see detiving from a single source of information, are being entered manually on different pages.

I'd love to know how much has been spent on it, but I doubt the annual report will offer any transparency on the matter.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

What you are referring to seems to be problems with the pages that appear if you not yet able to book. If logged in as a Friend, it seems OK.

Taking the first link https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-royal-ballet-school-by-liam-scarlett if I'm logged in - I'm a Friend, if that makes a difference -  it shows NO casting information (nor the conductor!) apart from "The Royal Ballet School" on all three dates.

If I'm logged out it displays "Conducted by Barry Wordsworth" for all three dates, and

12th: TBC, Cuthbertson, The Royal Ballet School, Muntagirov, Morera

14th: TBC, The Royal Ballet School, Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

16th: The Royal Ballet School, TBC, Stix-Brunell, Takada, Choe

!!!

31 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

What you are referring to seems to be problems with the pages that appear if you not yet able to book. If logged in as a Friend, and can book, it seems OK or at least consistent.

You’re quite right, Richard, I’ve just tried it - thanks.

But what use is that if you want to have a good look at the casting before you book, so that you can make your decisions and go smoothly to the performances you want to book? After all, there isn’t much time to snap up the tickets you want in some cases.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Taking the first link https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-royal-ballet-school-by-liam-scarlett if I'm logged in - I'm a Friend, if that makes a difference -  it shows NO casting information (nor the conductor!) apart from "The Royal Ballet School" on all three dates

It shows casting information once you click the individual dates on that page, logged in as a Friend thus allowing you to book.

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

It shows casting information once you click the individual dates on that page, logged in as a Friend thus allowing you to book.

Yes indeed - that's the https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77 link that Yumiko shows twice. But how could a casual visitor guess that there's more casting information available? And it's plain that there are problems with the system, if it can't even display the same information on the same page when logged in and logged out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Yes indeed - that's the https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77 link that Yumiko shows twice. But how could a casual visitor guess that there's more casting information available? And it's plain that there are problems with the system, if it can't even display the same information on the same page when logged in and logged out.

That is also my point.

Various ways to reach the detailed information is ok, but the same result should appear.

• Like 3

I emailed the ROH box office yesterday as well and today had a reply that it is definitely Hayward and Bracewell on the 12th of February ( Tuesday) 

They also said they would amend the details on the other part of the website ( haven't looked yet to check) and apologised for the confusion caused etc 

At least a step in the right direction....some of the casting info is a farce with far too many "ballerinas" listed for the one ballet!! Weird!!

Edited by LinMM

Well the details in the other part of the website are still not amended!!

Also there is now a new problem!!

Yesterday it still showed ( on the BBB way of seeing the casting via the calendar) that on Feb 2nd at 7pm Takada/Hay would be dancing in Two Pigeons .....now today it is showing that Nunez and Hirano are dancing that day! 

In fact now I can't see any dates for Takada and Hay so looks like will have to send another email.

Interestingly in my reply today they said they had contacted the Ballet Company to confirm who would be dancing on the 12th. 

• Like 1

And what on earth is "camera holds prep only"?!

That is really weird: I too get different results depending on whether or not I'm signed in.

Just before I go to bed and am going to have another look at casting for Feb 2nd.....which originally only had one performance at 7pm that day but earlier today suddenly has acquired two performances!! 

Perhaps Takada and Hay have been reinstated!!

Well now only a few dates are coming out on that calendar so have no idea who is dancing on Feb2nd at 7pm as it isn't even shown any more!!! 

Is there a troll at work in the ROH website just trying to annoy everybody!! 

Edited by LinMM

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

Interestingly in my reply today they said they had contacted the Ballet Company to confirm who would be dancing on the 12th.  

Now there's a good idea.

I wish RB would set up their own website.......

• Like 2

Biggest question is not why these problems are happening but why the new site has gone live with them happening. I know from a PR point of view they must have wanted it to coincide with the Open Up project (though even that seems to have been unveiled slightly prematurely); but it is clearly simply not ready! And we're not talking about a little amateur group here; it's the ROH, and it's just not acceptable for them to have problems like this on their website.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

Just before I go to bed and am going to have another look at casting for Feb 2nd.....which originally only had one performance at 7pm that day but earlier today suddenly has acquired two performances!! 

Perhaps Takada and Hay have been reinstated!!

Well now only a few dates are coming out on that calendar so have no idea who is dancing on Feb2nd at 7pm as it isn't even shown any more!!! 

Is there a troll at work in the ROH website just trying to annoy everybody!! 

As I recall there have always been 2 performances for Asphodel Meadows/Two Pigeons on the 2nd Feb. Anyway, if you are signed in for booking, the details showing are:

2pm Asphodel Meadows  -  Kaneko  Richardson  Magri Corrales Maeda Dyer          Two Pigeons - Choe Campbell Mendizabal  Edmonds

7pm Asphodel Meadows -   Nunez  Hirano  Morera  Bracewell  Hinkis  Acri              Two Pigeons -  Takada   Hay  Magri  Montano 

• Like 1

That is great thanks Richard. Way back in July / August I'm sure there was only a 7pm performance because I had thought it was a matinee and then discovered only one performance that day at 7pm!!! 

Honestly anything is possible at the moment but glad if they have added a matinee for people who live miles from London etc

Your above info is really helpful ...many thanks 😊

• Like 1

Oh this makes me laugh (hollowly). Just the idea of being able to book for any sort of cast more than a week in advance seems to be anathema to The Australian Ballet (mustn't forget to capitalise that "the"!). Given that for Melbourne I have to travel 350km (220 miles) each way and for Sydney 550km (350 miles) each way, I'd really like more than a lucky dip before booking accommodation and ballet tickets, not to mention either embarking on that drive or deciding to splash out on a plane ticket! And I am far from being the only out-of-town ballet fan! 

• Like 3

There were definitely always 2 shows on 2nd Feb. I know because I accidentally booked for the evening and had to email them to change my tickets for the matinee.

Sorry, post moved to correct thread.

Edited by bridiem

Let's just confirm: there's still no winter pricing plan easily available anywhere for any of the productions, is there?

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Let's just confirm: there's still no winter pricing plan easily available anywhere for any of the productions, is there?

I’m afraid the only way to see the winter pricing is to look at the interactive seat map for every production.

They really like to make it as hard as possible for people to book, don't they?  Okay, I'll just have to carry on with putting my own together, then.  I have far better things I could be doing with my time - working included :( 

3 minutes ago, alison said:

They really like to make it as hard as possible for people to book, don't they?  Okay, I'll just have to carry on with putting my own together, then.  I have far better things I could be doing with my time - working included :( 

Come on Alison ...that must be more fun than work ! 🙂