Bluebird

Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

Adding insult to injury, if you print off the Winter season from the calendar, as I thought I'd do since the ROH no longer provide us with proper printed ballet casting information, you get curtailed casting :(

I'm currently minded to take a screenshot of what it says on the production page on 31st October when I book, and then complain bitterly if the casting turns out not to be as shown and object to paying £4 to exchange tickets I wouldn't have bought if the casting had been shown correctly.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Adding insult to injury, if you print off the Winter season from the calendar, as I thought I'd do since the ROH no longer provide us with proper printed ballet casting information, you get curtailed casting :(

Several pages back, on August 3, bangorballetboy posted a link to the casting pdf.  I'll try to repeat it here and hope it works as copying the link brought up a different title to the one BBB used..  If it doesn't work, you can find his original post on page 4 of this thread.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=406

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Several pages back, on August 3, bangorballetboy posted a link to the casting pdf.  I'll try to repeat it here and hope it works as copying the link brought up a different title to the one BBB used..  If it doesn't work, you can find his original post on page 4 of this thread.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=406

But please remember that this is the version with Campbell erroneously paired with Hayward for a Two Pigeons matinee when she is, in fact, scheduled to dance with William Bracewell.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

But please remember that this is the version with Campbell erroneously paired with Hayward for a Two Pigeons matinee when she is, in fact, scheduled to dance with William Bracewell.

Many thanks for pointing that out, Capybara.  I'd quite forgotten!

• Like 1

Nicol Edmonds posted yesterday a pic (he recreated a pose from Infra with William Bracewell) where he confirmed to a follower that he will dance in "Infra".

Now we just need to know the other 11 dancers (plus 12 for a probably second cast). Probably we can also assume that William Bracewell will be dancing in Infra too (in Edmonds cast?), though there is no official confirmation.

Nicol Edmonds account is public, so even people who are not on Instagram can see his answer in his post. Hope this is okay.

It's fine if the account is public-facing :)  I'm assuming that Ed Watson won't be fit enough to dance in this either, although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Just booked for the Corrales/Lamb/Muntagirov/Naghdi cast of the winter triple bill. Very excited, especially as I didn't get Nutcracker tickets this year. It was also a bit of a novelty to be able to pick up tickets on the 2nd row of orchestra stalls for just over £50 each! 

• Like 4

Does public booking for this open on Wednesday ( Oct 31st)? 

Otherwise presumably for Friends etc booking has been open for a while now.

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Does public booking for this open on Wednesday ( Oct 31st)? 

Otherwise presumably for Friends etc booking has been open for a while now.

Premium 2 Friends
4 September 2018, 9am

Premium 1 Friends
5 September 2018, 9am

Supporting Friends
12 September 2018, 9am

Friends Packages
13 September 2018, 9am

Friends+
25 September 2018, 9am

Friends
3 October 2018, 9am

Friends Rehearsals
10 October 2018, 9am

Friends Additional
17 October 2018, 9am

General Packages
23 October 2018, 9am

Student Priority
29 October 2018, 9am

General Booking
31 October 2018, 9am

• Like 1

Wow that was quick BBB! But it does help me to now understand Aliceinwoolfland above post.

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Wow that was quick BBB! But it does help me to now understand Aliceinwoolfland above post.

Cut and paste from here (which I have bookmarked...)

• Like 1

Well at least your link does work for casting Bluebird!! 

Unfortunately now when I go to the website to Winter programme then calendar of events etc which was a couple of weeks ago bringing up all the ballets and casting for the winter season now just has a few dates selected so no longer has all the days there.

Am hoping for the same cast as you by the way  Aliceinwoolfland when booking opens on Wednesday!! 

14 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

And still no news on the ROH website re. casting of "Infra" and "Symphony in C" :( 

I have a feeling that there's not going to be and we shall have to use 'other means' of finding scraps of information.

• Like 2

Trying to work out which Two Pigeons performance to book, I click on what appears to be the right one and find in the cast credits that there are three of every role listed :wacko:

• Like 2

Well at least the ROH finally managed to get casting on the website for the Patineurs triple! Yesterday evening it was still saying “TBC” for the evening of the 20th.

• Like 1

The whole thing has been a joke.  You couldn't even access the casting details on the individual performance pages unless you were qualified to be booking already, just got some sort of drop-down list that went something like:

"Masha - Nunez

Masha - [whoever else is doing it - you see, I haven't even worked that out!]

Principal - Hamilton

The Concert - Cuthbertson

Principal - Muntagirov

Principal - Hirano

Blue Skater - Corrales

Les Patineurs - Hay"

• Like 2

Delurking to ask a quick question, which I hope is alright. Does anyone know, based on previous runs, if the ROH announce cast members for roles in Don Quixote other than Kitri and Basilio in advance of the performance, and if so approximately how much in advance? I am thinking about seeing it but would prefer to make a choice of performance based on more than just two cast members. I've been seeing opera at the ROH for 14 years but have only recently seen my first ballet there so I am finding the lack of full advanced casting information available for ballets, compared to opera, is making booking decisions harder.

Welcome to Forum Dawnstar!!

Until very recently you could see advanced casting on the website but unfortunately and much to regulars irritation and chagrin they seem to have decided not to reveal hardly ANY casting until public booking opens. 

I believe if you are a Friend you would have access a bit earlier because you can buy tickets earlier.

However if you want to know who is cast in all the main roles apart from the main two  I'm not sure if you can find this out anyway until the night although either from a programme or cast slip etc. 

You could try asking in the Box office I suppose ....they may have access to info that's not on website but doubt it somehow. 

I think this is correct info but others may know more than myself!!

I'm not sure how you would book now for Don Q tickets if you want more names before deciding, once the run is under way you can use Instagram to find out who is likely to be in a performance you have booked but generally that only gives you a day's notice if you haven't booked anything yet. If a dancer you follow posts that they danced in a particular performance or you read about them on this forum  you could assume they'd be in the future performances with the same named leads

One of the dancers posted a photo of a form detailing the pool of 12 dancers that will be the three shades in La Bayadere but it wasn't grouped in such a way that you can tell who will be dancing on what day, so I at least know I have a 3 in 11 chance of seeing a particular dancer in the one performance I'm seeing

Thank you for your replies LinMM & Rob S. I don't know if I'm spoiled by opera casting information but it does seem a bit odd that we're expected to book for Don Quixote with no idea of who will be playing the title character! At least with Mayerling casting for all the main characters was available so I knew that if, as indeed turned out to be the case, one of the dancers I was interested in seeing ended up not performing then there still would be several others. I also (for theatregoing in general, I haven't done much ballet going) am someone who doesn't always book performance justfor the leads - for instance I once booked for a Nozze di Figaro because of the Marcellina, which I can't imagine many people do!

I'm guessing this also means that when booking opens for Romeo & Juliet in January that we probably won't know the Mercutio, Tybalt, etc.?

Edited by Dawnstar

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

it does seem a bit odd that we're expected to book for Don Quixote with no idea of who will be playing the title character! 

But this is a ballet where the title character is not one of the principal dancers. I don't really think many  people would decide on a date to book based on which of the wonderful Character Principals at the RB will play Don Q.

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thank you for your replies LinMM & Rob S. I don't know if I'm spoiled by opera casting information but it does seem a bit odd that we're expected to book for Don Quixote with no idea of who will be playing the title character! At least with Mayerling casting for all the main characters was available so I knew that if, as indeed turned out to be the case, one of the dancers I was interested in seeing ended up not performing then there still would be several others. I also (for theatregoing in general, I haven't done much ballet going) am someone who doesn't always book performance justfor the leads - for instance I once booked for a Nozze di Figaro because of the Marcellina, which I can't imagine many people do!

I'm guessing this also means that when booking opens for Romeo & Juliet in January that we probably won't know the Mercutio, Tybalt, etc.?

Yes, I'm also someone that doesn't book a performance for the leads, my first trip to the ROH earlier this year to see Manon was for who was dancing as Lescaut's mistress...I paid very little attention to any of the other roles at the time of booking. Mayerling is the one that I've seen with the most names available before and after booking opened, followed by the Nutcracker...Swan Lake was just Odette and Siegfried. I don't know if it was better in previous years, I can't imagine you'd be told who the four cygnets will be but at least who Rothbart is. Given how much the tickets are you'd think they would tell us as other roles in Don Q give quite a significant contribution in terms of dancing content

• Like 2

I'm sure before there has been more than the two leads named in R and J ....but how they will do it this year have no idea!!

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

But this is a ballet where the title character is not one of the principal dancers. I don't really think many  people would decide on a date to book based on which of the wonderful Character Principals at the RB will play Don Q.

I know what you mean but I would hope to know at least the names that would typically appear on the back of the dvd of the performance....for Don Q that is admittedly quite a few; Kitri, Basilio, DQ, Sancho Panza, Espada, Mercedes, Gamache, Lorenzo, Queen of Dryads, Amour and Dulcinea.

Well I have said this before, and I also don't know how detailed advance casting was in previous years,  but it seems to me that notwithstanding a few recent glitches the RB is trying to give us ( Friend or not) as much advance casting information as it reasonably can. Certainly much better than any other company.

13 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I gathered that Don Quixote does not do masses of classical dancing but based on the synopsis on Wikipedia he is involved in all of the acts so presumably has a reasonable amount of stage time? I've booked to see The Nutcracker in January to see Gary Avis as Drosselmayer, having been very impressed with his erformance in the cinecast the year before last, so I'm one person who has made booking based on a principal character artist rather than the principals.