Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is great that we are being given information this time, I hope it continues. But...

On 11/12/2018 at 15:36, Saodan said:

Dixon replacing Corrales in Asphodel Meadows on 19th Jan mat, 2nd Feb mat, 5th Feb.

The Corrales change was on the website a month ago. Why so long before the emails?

• Like 1

Disappointed not to be seeing McRae and Corrales. At least ROH have told me this time.......

The notification format does seem to have changed in that it just lists all affected performances rather than the one/s I am booked for.

This is OK if it speeds up the process of notifying people...

• Like 2

I'm so sorry about Corrales. I suppose (hope) that part of the reason he's being replaced for performances right into March may be that all this rep is new to him, so it's not just a question of brushing up a role (which would/could be quicker once he's fit again) but of learning it from scratch.

I hope that Capmpbell replacing McRae doesn't mean that he won't do his own scheduled performances with Magri later in the run. I've been eyeing up ticket possibilities for the end of March. (I'm not interested in seeing Takada.) By the way, does anyone who knows the Don Quixote production have any advice as to whether it would be better to sit in restricted view on the right or left of the auditorium or if it's about the same either side?

6 hours ago, Saodan said:

It is great that we are being given information this time, I hope it continues. But...

The Corrales change was on the website a month ago. Why so long before the emails?

I actually had an e-mail before Christmas about this and have just had another one with the same information.

Please can we not start worrying about whether or not Campbell, or indeed Muntagirov, will also dance their scheduled performances. If there had been any change planned there, the item would have surely mentioned it. We do tend to move rather quickly into 'gloom and doom' overdrive sometimes 😉

Sooooooooo sorry that the wonderful Cesar Corrales is going to be 'out' for so long. He had rotten luck with injuries in his last season with ENB also. We need him on stage and I'm sure that he needs to be on stage too.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

Osipova and Muntagirov for Don Q on March 30th, WOW!!! I really booked for Coralles and am disappointed not to see him but to see Vadim with Osipova is something I've dreamed of for ever. I wasn't really envisioning Don Q; was thinking of something more classical but see no reason why it won't be sensational and my husband has a ticket for that performance too. Just wish it was the one being filmed; it could be sensational. Incidentally, although it is the main item of ROH News the performance pages still haven't been updated.

On a sadder note I'm sorry Coralles' injury seems to be so serious and hope he is well enough for Romeo and Juliet with Hayward. it's such a shame he is missing out on debut roles he must have been so looking forward to. I was disappointed not to see him in Bayadere and 2 Pigeons and now Don Q but my disappointment must be nothing compared to his. Get well soon!

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Please can we not start worrying about whether or not Campbell, or indeed Muntagirov, will also dance their scheduled performances. If there had been any change planned there, the item would have surely mentioned it. We do tend to move rather quickly into 'gloom and doom' overdrive sometimes 😉

If this is directed at my post I'd just like to say that I have seen 3 live RB performances this season & none of them have had the originally-announced male leads (Mayerling Hirano for Watson, Patineurs Acri for Corrales, Nutcracker Sambe & Bracewell for Hay & Bonelli). Therefore I don't feel that it is "gloom and doom overdrive" that I'm worrying about the possible non-appearance of a male lead before potentially forking out £60+ for Don Q.

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear that Corrales won't be fit for Don Q was so looking forward to that in particular. It must be quite a serious injury but sometimes if any operation is involved these things can take quite a few months.

Hope he is better for Romeo at least! And yes it must be so disappointing for him too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

If this is directed at my post I'd just like to say that I have seen 3 live RB performances this season & none of them have had the originally-announced male leads (Mayerling Hirano for Watson, Patineurs Acri for Corrales, Nutcracker Sambe & Bracewell for Hay & Bonelli). Therefore I don't feel that it is "gloom and doom overdrive" that I'm worrying about the possible non-appearance of a male lead before potentially forking out £60+ for Don Q.

I can certainly understand your frustration, Dawnstar!  That's a sad record for you.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

But none of those situations are those where you have not seen the named dancer because they have been given additional shows due to the indisposition of another, which was the subject of the comment to which the response related.

19 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Takada and Campbell....I'm really pleased.

At last, something good coming out of cats! 😲

Hurrah! I’d really hoped for this.

I think out will be Alexander Campbell’s first broadcast in a principal role too (I’m not really counting Hans-Peter or Benno)...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

But none of those situations are those where you have not seen the named dancer because they have been given additional shows due to the indisposition of another, which was the subject of the comment to which the response related.

But that situation has arisen this season, so it's not unreasonable to fear that it might again. (Though I agree - and hope - that it would have been announced by now if so.)

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

But that situation has arisen this season, so it's not unreasonable to fear that it might again. (Though I agree - and hope - that it would have been announced by now if so.)

Yes, there have been 2 high-profile instances that generated quite a lot of discussion so I'm certainly aware it can & does happen. Also at the moment I think I'm just generally worrying about cast changes after having them for 3 out of 3 performances. I'm someone who very much books to see particular singers/actors in opera/musicals/plays (not necessarily famous people) & my attempts to do the same with ballet are thus far not going too well!

I feel it's been like that for months now though.....not condoning it....but they obviously still haven't fixed the website issues then!

It could be that with some injuries it's not known initially exactly how long they will take so the casts are left as long as possible until it is clear the person cannot perform on the projected dates. Though at the mo the ROH website does seem a bit slow in catching up with news that seems to be known in other quarters!

it has been a strange season for me I must admit as three of the people originally booked for didn't or won't be dancing. I must have been extraordinarily lucky before or the injury rate of dancers is going up.

I would still rather the dancers recovered properly though....even if means longer out ....the Andy Murray story is rather edifying....he has pushed himself too far ...it's very sad.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

And I was so looking forward to seeing him after that rehearsal ... :(  Not that I have any objection to either of the Young Men, but I'd have thought Naghdi a bit tall for Hay.

I just hope 2 Pigeons is brought back again, just so Bracewell gets a chance to dance it.

• Like 7

Very sorry for William Bracewell - having been present for Ballet Studio Live and the Ashton Foundation Le Rossignol rehearsals I’ve been forming the opinion that he shows incredible promise as an interpreter of the Ashton choreography and was relishing the chance to see him in a principal Ashton role on stage... A Month In The Country it will have to be. I do hope he recovers quickly and is able to get back on stage soon. 

• Like 11