Jump to content
Bluebird

Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

Recommended Posts

Actually Dawnstar looking at the casting on the Spring casting thread I see it does only have the two leads only at the moment....but when booking starts opening may be more roles will,be shown.

Its interesting that link in the first post in the thread .....I can only see it for a short time and then the pages start blacking out!!

This could be because it's recognised I'm not really privy to this information as a Joe Public!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Actually Dawnstar looking at the casting on the Spring casting thread I see it does only have the two leads only at the moment....but when booking starts opening may be more roles will,be shown.

Its interesting that link in the first post in the thread .....I can only see it for a short time and then the pages start blacking out!!

This could be because it's recognised I'm not really privy to this information as a Joe Public!!

 

Given the amount of discussion on that thread about the importance of the role of Mercutio, including a very persuasive arguement that he is the third lead character, I would have thought that at least that role would also be announced. As there are several title role pairings that I'd be potentially interested in seeing but I'll probably only be able to afford the one visit then knowing who is playing other roles would be a useful way of helping to decide which cast to see.

 

The page didn't black out for me when I looked at it a few days ago but maybe it's decided to be more exclusive since!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Actually Dawnstar looking at the casting on the Spring casting thread I see it does only have the two leads only at the moment....but when booking starts opening may be more roles will,be shown.

Its interesting that link in the first post in the thread .....I can only see it for a short time and then the pages start blacking out!!

This could be because it's recognised I'm not really privy to this information as a Joe Public!!

 

La Bayadere starts tomorrow and it still only lists N, S & G, just as it did before booking opened in July...I just have to assume that the people in other roles in Saturday's performance will be the same for the performance I see next Friday

Edited by Rob S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Delurking to ask a quick question, which I hope is alright. Does anyone know, based on previous runs, if the ROH announce cast members for roles in Don Quixote other than Kitri and Basilio in advance of the performance, and if so approximately how much in advance? I am thinking about seeing it but would prefer to make a choice of performance based on more than just two cast members. I've been seeing opera at the ROH for 14 years but have only recently seen my first ballet there so I am finding the lack of full advanced casting information available for ballets, compared to opera, is making booking decisions harder.

 

I've checked  two previous runs.  In the first run (2013) the additional roles weren't announced until the final rehearsals had taken place. 

 

In 2014, an indication of the additional casting came less than two weeks before the first performance was due to take place.  There was an announcement on the ROH news pages November 14 of that year.  This announcement named only  the dancers who'd be making their debuts in the roles .  The rest of the additional casting was due to be announced on the website three days after this initial announcement - i.e. 8 days before the first performance.

 

Here's the item from the news pages in 2014: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/additional-casting-confirmed-for-don-quixote

 

 

Edited by Bluebird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

 

I gathered that Don Quixote does not do masses of classical dancing but based on the synopsis on Wikipedia he is involved in all of the acts so presumably has a reasonable amount of stage time? I've booked to see The Nutcracker in January to see Gary Avis as Drosselmayer, having been very impressed with his erformance in the cinecast the year before last, so I'm one person who has made booking based on a principal character artist rather than the principals.

You're certainly not alone in booking to see Gary Avis, Dawnstar!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

 

I know what you mean but I would hope to know at least the names that would typically appear on the back of the dvd of the performance....for Don Q that is admittedly quite a few; Kitri, Basilio, DQ, Sancho Panza, Espada, Mercedes, Gamache, Lorenzo, Queen of Dryads, Amour and Dulcinea.

 

Rob I don't think I've ever seen pre-season casting for Don Quixote that includes all the characters you mention. At most Kitri, Basilio and the Don.

 

Dream sequence Dulcinea is usually danced by Kitri, as it is supposedly because of her resemblance to his ideal (Dulcinea) that the Don helps Kitri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

 

 

Rob I don't think I've ever seen pre-season casting for Don Quixote that includes all the characters you mention. At most Kitri, Basilio and the Don.

 

Dream sequence Dulcinea is usually danced by Kitri, as it is supposedly because of her resemblance to his ideal (Dulcinea) that the Don helps Kitri.

 

I think the Don Q DVD must be particularly helpful, the Mayerling dvd just states three roles as does La Bayadere and Swan Lake, of course the leaflet inside is much more informative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sad that the prices for R&J will be so high. I'm not even a regular as I cannot afford to be. I feel like the price rises are less about attracting a new audience and more about just wanting more revenue. They are using it as a poor justification. I am a teacher living In Oxford and I barely have enough after food, travel, rent etc. To see this special ballet from a decent seat I will have to save for months.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've moved all the discussion about today's booking into the dedicated thread here: 

I think I've got everything.  If you want to have a moan (or even give praise, you never know!) about booking, please use that one, so that this one can stick to casting information.  Thanks!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

 

I've checked  two previous runs.  In the first run (2013) the additional roles weren't announced until the final rehearsals had taken place. 

 

In 2014, an indication of the additional casting came less than two weeks before the first performance was due to take place.  There was an announcement on the ROH news pages November 14 of that year.  This announcement named only  the dancers who'd be making their debuts in the roles .  The rest of the additional casting was due to be announced on the website three days after this initial announcement - i.e. 8 days before the first performance.

 

Here's the item from the news pages in 2014: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/additional-casting-confirmed-for-don-quixote

 

Thank you for the detailed information. I hadn't realised that information from 4 years ago would still be on the ROH's website. So basically the likelihood of getting  casting information beyond that of Kitri & Basilio more than a few days in advance is low to non-existant. I may save my money then as I don't want to spend £60+ not knowing who most of the cast will be. (£60 looks to be the minimum price for any seat nearer the amphitheatre where you can see a reasonable amount of the stage. I happily sit side stalls circle for opera, knowing that I'll at least be able to hear the singers when I can't see them, but I imagine ballet from the same sort of viewing angle is an awful lot more problematic.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

I'm so sad that the prices for R&J will be so high. I'm not even a regular as I cannot afford to be. I feel like the price rises are less about attracting a new audience and more about just wanting more revenue. They are using it as a poor justification. I am a teacher living In Oxford and I barely have enough after food, travel, rent etc. To see this special ballet from a decent seat I will have to save for months.

I know what you mean. I have started embracing the amphi, which I generally like a lot. However, Maylering for instance was hard from there because all women looked alike.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, does anyone know who the two dancers performing the White Couple will be/is likely to be in Les Patineurs? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Also, does anyone know who the two dancers performing the White Couple will be/is likely to be in Les Patineurs? 

 

 

 

Claire Calvert told on her IG account that rehearsals for Les Patineurs and Winter Dreams would start this week (or better have started this week). Maybe we get a hint someday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LinMM said:

 

Still haven't heard who is replacing Hayward on Feb 12 th performance .....

 

 

 

Yasmine Naghdi will be replacing Francesca Hayward in her scheduled performances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well I've never seen her in this role either so that's a bonus! And anyway Naghdi is Naghdi...thanks for info Sim.

 

Now just hope Hay is dancing....I did read he has had in the past some problem with his shin bone which may be an ongoing thing he has to deal with but don't really know if it is that on this occasion. If not able to be him wonder who will be put with Akada? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Akane Takada....amazing what the brain can do with words on occasions!!

 

As it happens Sim this is presumably not common knowledge as whatever way I go into this on the website it still says Hayward is dancing!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lin none of us has ever seen Naghdi in this role as it’s her debut!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes Akane Takada....amazing what the brain can do with words on occasions!!

 

As it happens Sim this is presumably not common knowledge as whatever way I go into this on the website it still says Hayward is dancing!!

 

Yasmine mentioned in her interview with Gramilano that she is making her debut in the role.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks Sim

Looks like that may be a good evening then to see Naghdi's debut in the role ....though may be dancing just before this date...will check!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yasmine Naghdi has danced the role of Young Girl with Alexander Campbell in Japan last September but dancing the role at the ROH will be a first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert

 

I guess it will be the same scenario re. the Winter Dreams TBC on 18th December and 4th January?  Why can't those responsible for updating the casting do the job properly, as it was done pre-Open Up? Will we have to continue guessing? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess so.  I'm still awaiting the email telling me that Frankie isn't dancing 2 Pigeons ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Yasmine Naghdi has danced the role of Young Girl with Alexander Campbell in Japan last September but dancing the role at the ROH will be a first.

She danced a pdd with Alex for a gala in Japan but has never danced the whole ballet.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep the 12th Feb would have been Haywards first shot at this so guess will now be Naghdi's first shot .....or should say debut! 

All good so far! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert

 

I guess it will be the same scenario re. the Winter Dreams TBC on 18th December and 4th January?  Why can't those responsible for updating the casting do the job properly, as it was done pre-Open Up? Will we have to continue guessing? 

Perhaps the IT team are lost on the new levels?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone hears anything definite about the 20 December matinee, whether Hay is out, and if so his replacement ( I would guess Sambebut who knows), please post. Waiting for the ROH website to get it right feels like waiting for Godot...

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for Godot indeed!

Just as they haven't (can't be) bothered to announce the TBC for Winter Dreams Opening Night on 18th December 

Edited by Xandra Newman
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...