Sergei Polunin - news

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only get the Russian version!

What is Mr Polunin doing?

The translation I got was an absolute hoot of incomprehensibility and I hoped that others might have more luck.. However, I was able to discern that Sergei has now made a positive decision to pursue his balletic career.

I think the interview as a whole, shows the ideologies of a talented young man, and certainly one who has missed an authority figure in his life. I feel that his words about the pay and treatment of dancers is correct, and it is the first time I have been supportive of something he has said. 

Watching 'Nureyev: Dance to Freedom' I found it amazing that much of the way Nureyev was treated in a disciplinarian way by the Bolshoi was shown that it was due to communism at that time. The fact is, dancers were, and still are, treated in such a way, where they must do as they are told and to respect the authority and words of the management. On one side, it is for this reason, the beauty and discipline of Ballet endures time.

One could find parallels with Football here, in the 'old days' the directors and chairman was king, the footballers, underpaid, underrepresented, and loving their profession did as they were told. It worked for the house, and I can appreciate that due to the fact Polunin experienced this with Royal Ballet, and so uses them as his example. Truth is, it can be said of all ballet companies.

He is on the side of the dancers, and I hope he makes some progress in the balance between ballet management and artists, but it to happen without damaging the art of ballet, or its reputation (as in Football) it requires a much more mature person to lead the discussion.

If I was a manager at the RB, I wouldn't worry about Polunin as an artist, he has already burned those bridges. I would worry much more about his influence on Ms Osipova, and it's affect on her career at RB and elsewhere.

Also, a very interesting insight, the fact that he doesn't even take notice of the stories or roles in ballet can totally be seen, and is a reason he is not one of my favourites. On the other hand, Ms. Osipova talks about the roles and teaches him, it is central to her, and is why she holds peoples hearts on stage.

For me I love the artists that make me forget I am watching a ballet, and make my guests cry at the story, as if they are Giselle (mentions Kapitonova again), like Osipova, Bolle, Cojucaru, Watson. Please take note technicians Polunin, Mcrae, Salenko, Zakharova, and Semionova.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 2

I would not call Polunin just a technician SwissballetFan.  He may not know the stories but he does not have that self-conscious "showing-off" vibe which I get from some (not all) of the other performers you mention - perhaps because Polunin does not care so much what the audience think of him so he is not anxiously trying to convey a particular persona.  He gives the impression of throwing off the choreography with such ease that you are simply watching him exist on stage, rather than acting.  That is a very special and rare talent.  I don't think artist's explanations of their own performances should always be taken at face value - what the audience sees may be very different.

But I do agree with you that his comments regarding pay and treatment of dancers are interesting.  He has made many rash statements in his time but I think he is too significant an artist for all of his views to be simply dismissed by those who seem to take any criticism of the RB as a personal attack.

• Like 2

A very illuminating interview. Interesting that some dancers (people) flourish within the structures of a company, and some find them restrictive; I suppose this is reflected in other professions too, and happens for all sorts of complicated reasons many of which we (and even the person involved) can't necessarily fully understand. At least Polunin is now reflecting in a more positive way on the nature of ballet and no doubt his views will continue to develop over time as he gets older and experiences more, both in ballet and in life. The comparison with football is interesting too; I support Liverpool FC, where the club is and always will be the thing, and the greatest players (and managers) have shared that ethos. Of course ballet needs stars; but stars need companies, and (often) guidance and formation to achieve the full extent of their greatness.

I would take more notice of what he -or anyone-said if it was considered and  balanced, with some regard shown for what has been good about the companies he worked in, rather than just constant criticism- it sounds like an axe grinding.

Actually I think the forum (especially lately) is pretty full of criticism of every aspect of the RB and its policies, dancers, and  staff-far more than of any other company- and also many swipes at dancers-and I am not sure they have really deserved all the swiping.

In fact, I really think not -especially in McRae's case, who is so often criticised for -er-being a superb technician. Also, he gets on with the job.

Seems a bit unfair to me.

• Like 6

Swiss Ballet Fan: Nureyev was a member of the Kirov, not the Bolshoi.

Lindsay: if you are referring to my comment above, please note that I regularly make constructive criticisms of the RB on this forum, so please don't for one minute think that I take any criticism of the company 'personally'.

• Like 1

Lindsay: thank you for the points, what each of us takes and expects from ballet is our own ideas and enjoyment. I respect your view, but would feel he might improve if he knew the story adding to his marvellous technique.

Mary: this forum is very much about RB, the great, the bad, and the ugly. I think the points are mixed, and there is no recent negativity but general issues. I would recommend reading the highlights of 2015 to understand the joy for RB.

Regarding McRae, he is rightly praised for his technique, In some charachter ballets, the audience may prefer a prince they feel something for, or indeed a SPF too. Why would he complain ? He obviously has been put firmly at the front of RBs priorities.

One more on the topic of character, of all of the reviews I have seen about RB here only one man is always seen as a highlight and is in the hearts of the RB audience...Gary Avis, who gives his heart to the roles, and seemingly the audience give him theirs! The dancers I mention are amazing! These days techniques can leave an audience open mouthed with wonder, if just a little cold in the heart, and this is what I was referring to.

• Like 1

Also, a very interesting insight, the fact that he doesn't even take notice of the stories or roles in ballet can totally be seen, and is a reason he is not one of my favourites. On the other hand, Ms. Osipova talks about the roles and teaches him, it is central to her, and is why she holds peoples hearts on stage.

Yes, he confirmed an attitude which I'd long suspected there.

At least Polunin is now reflecting in a more positive way on the nature of ballet and no doubt his views will continue to develop over time as he gets older and experiences more, both in ballet and in life. 

That was my thought, too.  It's good to see.

Mary: this forum is very much about RB, the great, the bad, and the ugly. 

We do, of course, encourage posters to report on companies nationwide *and* worldwide.  It's just unfortunate that the threads started by the majority of those who post (myself included - sorry) are disproportionately about the RB and so much less frequently about other companies.

One more on the topic of character, of all of the reviews I have seen about RB here only one man is always seen as a highlight and is in the hearts of the RB audience...Gary Avis, who gives his heart to the roles, and seemingly the audience give him theirs! The dancers I mention are amazing! These days techniques can leave an audience open mouthed with wonder, if just a little cold in the heart, and this is what I was referring to.

I totally agree.

• Like 1

Lindsay: thank you for the points, what each of us takes and expects from ballet is our own ideas and enjoyment. I respect your view, but would feel he might improve if he knew the story adding to his marvellous technique.

Mary: this forum is very much about RB, the great, the bad, and the ugly. I think the points are mixed, and there is no recent negativity but general issues. I would recommend reading the highlights of 2015 to understand the joy for RB.

Regarding McRae, he is rightly praised for his technique, In some charachter ballets, the audience may prefer a prince they feel something for, or indeed a SPF too. Why would he complain ? He obviously has been put firmly at the front of RBs priorities.

Excuse me, but one man?  If it is only one man, then Edward Watson is that man for me.  He is everything a dancer should be

• Like 1

Polunin is simply not a grown-up.  I was only privileged to see him dance twice and on both occasions I was bowled over so I get him.  And I would have liked to see much more of him as he grew and matured.  But he doesn't want to do that;  he wants to be a maverick, which is okay, but a maverick without any respect for the traditions that have given him his star status.  Yes, he makes some good points about pay but that's how it is and he would have much more ability to make changes if he worked within the system.  

Above all, I fear for his influence on Osipova.  I think that together they may well spell catastrophe for her career.

• Like 2

Excuse me, but one man?  If it is only one man, then Edward Watson is that man for me.  He is everything a dancer should be

I mean that for universal opinion, with not a single piece of criticism and a bucket load of compliments, then for me, the word is Gary Avis. Everyone has their favourite, but I mean, EVERYONE loves Gary Avis a lot  :)

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Does anyone know whether the working hours are longer at the RB than other companies? The interview makes it seem like it. I knew the hours at the RB were long but I assumed this was the norm at top companies.

I got the impression from interviews I've read with Xander Parish that hours-wise the RB is a doddle in comparison with the Mariinsky?

• Like 2

Unlike ABT and NYCB, the RB doesn't have seasons. They perform from late September/early October all the way through to June, with just one week off in February. They then sometimes tour abroad for a month or so. August off, then back to work beginning of September, if not a bit earlier. I don't know how this compares hours-wise, but it's a long year!

American companies have totally different schedules, with x number of paid weeks in a year, and that includes ABT (I don.t know exact number nowadays, but probably between 38 and 42). For the rest of the time, the dancers go on unemployment benefits, pay for their own classes, work freelancing if they can, or if in the junior ranks, getting any non dance job they are able, to supplement their income...

All other major or middle sized classically based companies give their dancers 12 months contracts including holiday pay.

The security offered varies widely. Companies in the USA are free to give notice to their dancers at the end of the season, with or without reason. Canadian, Australian and UK companies offer similar contracts to each other, while in Russia and Europe the sheduling and hours worked depends on a variety of factors.

In the USA, dancers only work five days a week - but will usually go to an outside class and sometimes rehearse with a coach of their choice on the free day. UK companies work a half day on Saturdays and have Sunday off.

t

I would take more notice of what he -or anyone-said if it was considered and  balanced, with some regard shown for what has been good about the companies he worked in, rather than just constant criticism- it sounds like an axe grinding.

Actually I think the forum (especially lately) is pretty full of criticism of every aspect of the RB and its policies, dancers, and  staff-far more than of any other company- and also many swipes at dancers-and I am not sure they have really deserved all the swiping.

In fact, I really think not -especially in McRae's case, who is so often criticised for -er-being a superb technician. Also, he gets on with the job.

Seems a bit unfair to me.

Mary, I so agree. McRae seems to be on the receiving end of much snide and excessive criticism on the forum recently. Of course we all have our favourite and not-so-favourite dancers, that is only natural, but to criticise McRae for being only a technician seems ludicrous.

As you say, he is a great technician and technique is essential for any ballet performance worth its salt. I find that he is also a very moving dancer - anyone who saw McRae’s Romeo in the cinema would have seen him expressing a wide range of emotions as the story unfolded. His Colas in Fille was playful, full of joie de vivre, and yesterday’s Prince and Sugar Plum Fairy demonstrated his and Salenko’s great rapport. He is an excellent, thoughtful and caring partner.

Of course, however hard we try, our views are all subjective to a certain extent, and obviously we all come to the forum with different ideas, knowledge, background, likes and dislikes, but there has been far too much sniping and even arrogant dismissal of several dancers of late. Surely they deserve our respect and thanks for all their hard work and for their many amazing performances, whoever and wherever they are, whatever their company. If you can’t praise, encourage.

This is a forum open for all to see, members, dancers and public alike.

At this season of good will it might be appropriate to quote from the Forum’s Terms of Acceptable Use  -   Please think carefully before making heavily critical comments of dancers or productions.

Edited by Ian Macmillan
To change to normal font size. Ian Macmillan
  • Like 9

Mary, I so agree. McRae seems to be on the receiving end of much snide and excessive criticism on the forum recently. Of course we all have our favourite and not-so-favourite dancers, that is only natural, but to criticise McRae for being only a technician seems ludicrous.

As you say, he is a great technician and technique is essential for any ballet performance worth its salt. I find that he is also a very moving dancer - anyone who saw McRae’s Romeo in the cinema would have seen him expressing a wide range of emotions as the story unfolded. His Colas in Fille was playful, full of joie de vivre, and yesterday’s Prince and Sugar Plum Fairy demonstrated his and Salenko’s great rapport. He is an excellent, thoughtful and caring partner.

Of course, however hard we try, our views are all subjective to a certain extent, and obviously we all come to the forum with different ideas, knowledge, background, likes and dislikes, but there has been far too much sniping and even arrogant dismissal of several dancers of late. Surely they deserve our respect and thanks for all their hard work and for their many amazing performances, whoever and wherever they are, whatever their company. If you can’t praise, encourage.

This is a forum open for all to see, members, dancers and public alike.

At this season of good will it might be appropriate to quote from the Forum’s Terms of Acceptable Use  -   Please think carefully before making heavily critical comments of dancers or productions.

I don't think its criticising to say that a particular dancer is more famed for his technique than his acting abilities.  I am a huge fan of Macrae and adore watching him, BUT, I don't find he moves me in certain roles.  If there has been a lot of this type of comment, I think it is more to do with the fact that the RB is currently short on male Principals with the ability to convey emotion.  Combined with the fact that Macrae has moved centre stage and that he is promoted quite heavily, and you get people pointing out the contrast with dancers like Watson and Muntagirov.

None of which is to detract from Macrae who is absolutely fabulous but I stand by the point that Kevin O'Hare needs to take a long hard look at his available male Principals.

Edited by Ian Macmillan
Font size in Quote, as above
  • Like 3

Penelope, I agree with much of what you say.

Obviously we are all entitled to our different points of view.

I don’t object per se to people criticising a dancer. It is the excessive nature of it and the way in which some people are doing it – sometimes in an attacking, spiteful, snide and dismissive manner, which I find so objectionable. As Mary said, considered and balanced posts are preferable.

• Like 5

Slightly off topic but would like to comment that one of the huge advantages of European companies is year round employment with all the commensurate benefits or health care and national Insurance payments leading to a pension. (Details vary according to country).  In the USA employment conditions are much worse, often several months lay off over the summer, low wages meaning that dancers have to juggle a second job (e.g. cleaning, waiting on tables etc.) while still in the performing season.

If dancers are complaining of long hours, it is usually a result of poor scheduling of rehearsals, or over use of some dancers and under use of others.  I never did actually believe that Polunin would leave ballet, just that he needed a break.  At the time when it all blew up, it seemed that he was too much the Blue-eyed boy of RB and was getting overwhelmed by his schedule.

Edited for clarity

Edited by Pas de Quatre

Penelope, I agree with much of what you say.

Obviously we are all entitled to our different points of view.

I don’t object per se to people criticising a dancer. It is the excessive nature of it and the way in which some people are doing it – sometimes in an attacking, spiteful, snide and dismissive manner, which I find so objectionable. As Mary said, considered and balanced posts are preferable.

Arky, maybe my sensibilities are different to yours, but I cannot recall reading any 'attacking, snide, spiteful or dismissive comments' about McRae, so If you would like to post an example, I would be more than happy to understand your point.

Again, I find myself reading harsher words from a poster about people who make comments, than I do about any dancers. I don't know if any dancers read this forum, but I guess we can be assured that people who post do, so I would defend anyone who has posted about Mcrae, who hasn't received a warning or whatsoever.

I find people complaining about for forum posts so much more objectionable, than how people feel about dancers, so please provide examples, report posts as  the forum functions, but such an attacking post about people expressing their view on a dancer is much more offensive, than what I have read so far on this forum.

At this season of good will it might be appropriate to quote from the Forum’s Terms of Acceptable Use  -   Please think carefully before making heavily critical comments of forum posters or the community

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

Bill Boyd, it only takes a post about being snide, attacking, and spiteful and then you come back...

You don't add Polunin? Zakharova? who get as much 'critical feedback' but I guess they are not as close to many hearts,so don't hit home so hard.

When did being technical be a bad thing? this is ballet... read the critics, read reviews, then read posts.

There are countless 'attacking, snide, spiteful or dismissive comments' in defence of the above dancers.

Steven McRae, Iana Salenko, Natalia Osipova, Matthew Golding, Nehemiah Kish

There are countless 'attacking, snide, spiteful or dismissive comments' about the above dancers.

I've seen many critical comments about the above dancers and about other dancers, as well as about productions, companies, and directors. That's completely different from attacking, snide, spiteful, and/or dismissive. Maybe there are a few of the latter, usually pretty well dealt with by the moderation team. But to claim that such things are "countless" is to conflate those descriptions with simple criticism. If we aren't allowed to be critical, this becomes a sugarboard or fansite, which might please some but would mean sacrificing most of the interesting conversations here. You really can't learn much about a topic if the overwhelming majority of posts are simply "wasn't she lovely?" "oh yes, totally lovely, perfect in fact," "yes she's brilliant at everything, and so beautiful," "there isn't a role she can't dance to perfection" and the same about every other dancer, every teacher, every company, every production. Plus, the positive comments about one's favourite dancers actually mean more when coming from people who are allowed to be (and often are) critical than coming from a community where negative comments are frowned on.

• Like 11