Sergei Polunin - news

I may be being unduly thick but I cannot quite work out what Project Polunin is aiming to do. Yes, I have read all the links!

Is there anyone on here brave enough to attempt an explanation?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds as if Polunin can't work out what project Polunin is either.But that isn't necessarily because it has no substance.It can be difficult to be that articulate about an idea that has not taken final form.I think that Polunin made it clear some years ago that he felt that dancers should be as well known as footballers,if not as well paid.At that time it seemed to me that he craved the fame and artistic clout that Nureyev had enjoyed.But it is one thing to see someone like Nureyev as a role model and another thing to achieve comparable status,artistic freedom and wealth.

Nureyev was a product of his school and the international politics of the time.A time when the West had limited access to Russian dancers and their repertory and Russians had similarly limited access to developments in dance in the West. He was very knowledgeable about the traditional repertory as performed by his home company. He was also interested in the western repertory from the Diaghilev ballets to the works of the major choreographers such as Ashton,Balanchine, Robbins,Cunningham and Graham who were all active at the time of his defection.

Polunin seems to want to be involved in the world of classical dance but not to be part of it; to dance classics but to be free to change the choreography much as Guillem wanted to do.Of course the problem with the dancer's demand to be freed from the choreographic text and to dance what they want, in their own way,is that at some point the choreography may become so altered as to be totally unrecognisable. As Nijinska pointed out, many years ago, dancers involved in reviving a ballet will,unless they are prevented, modify the text so that they dance steps that they find easy rather than ones that challenge them.I am not sure that I am interested in seeing a dancer whose comfort zone is technique given total artistic freedom with the text to be danced.A limited amount of artistic freedom has led to musical and choreographic distortion in both Act 2 Swan Lake and the Rose Adagio.Full artistic freedom it seems to me led,in Nureyev's case, to choreography which at its worst is simply a series of technical challenges which are the balletic equivalent of show jumping;tests to be passed which does no more than display the dancer's technique.

It is unfortunate for Polunin and his generation that while there are some interesting choreographers about there is no one of the obvious stature of an Ashton or a Balanchine working at present.It will be interesting to see whether project Polunin has any substance to it, and if it does, the form it takes.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been announced that Sergei Polunin will replace David Hallberg for La Scala's premiere and subsequent performances of Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty with Etoile Svetlana Zakharava.

Sergei Polunin's own Twitter and an article by Graham Spicer have announced this as news, but La Scala's website has not been updated.

The dates are 26th September, 2nd and 6th October.

Terrible news for David Hallberg if his long term injury has not recovered :(

LInk: http://www.gramilano.com/2015/09/sergei-polunin-replaces-david-hallberg-in-ratmanskys-sleeping-beauty-at-la-scala/

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Indeed, if that *is* the case :(  Is there any official confirmation?  I haven't been keeping an eye on how he's been doing, I'm afraid.

Now confirmed on the La Scala website:

Due to an injury, David Hallberg will be unable to perform Sleeping Beauty this season. He sends his best wishes to his audience in Milan and looks forward to returning soon. 

Partner of Svetlana Zakharova on 26 September, 2 and 6 October will be Sergei Polunin in the role of the Prince Désiré; the same dates, as already announced, will be enriched by the presence of Massimo Murru in the role of Carabosse.

Wow....Murru too? What a hot ticket this will be!

Actually strangely there are still many tickets available for this, even including the premiere. I will be attending the Premiere to see Polunin and Zakharava for the first time, and to see how the 'traditional' style of Ratmansky translates to Sleeping Beauty. From this I can then imagine how his production of Swan Lake may be in Zürich :)

Stucha, that is the only casting information that is given on the website that I can find.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know where the cast lists for Sleeping Beauty can be found on the La Scala website?? I have not been able to find them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I think if you select a ballet and more info then there's a box containing information to the right and if you scroll down it's there under Etoiles

At EUR/180 for top tickets I'm not surprised there are plenty of tickets still available!!!

I can understand the statement about the amount. To be fair though, I think its a fair way for the audience to repay what must have been a huge investment by La Scala (and ABT) to produce such a large scale new production. It isn't like they will make any profit on this (or any) production.

Not only a disappointment for those who hoped to see Zakharova & Polunin together in "Sleeping Beauty" but also a worry.  La Scala officially announced his replacement due to injury:

http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/opera-ballet/2014-2015/sleeping-beauty.html

Saturday 26 September 2015 at 8pm

Princess Aurora - Svetlana Zakharova

Prince Désiré - Jacopo Tissi

Carabosse - Massimo Murru

Sergei Polunin will not be able to replace David Hallberg, as previously announced, in the performances of The Sleeping Beauty, due to a neck disease. Polunin writes: “I’m aware that the timing of this is very unfortunate and will cause considerable inconvenience. Unfortunately, unforeseen injury is the nature of dance as I’m sure you’re aware. For my part I am, of course, extremely disappointed not to be able to come and perform again with the Ballet Company of the Teatro alla Scala. I very much hope to have another opportunity to do so in due course.”

The Ballet Direction has decided to commit the performances to Jacopo Tissi, young and talented artist, graduated at the Ballet School of the Teatro alla Scala Academy in June 2014. He will dance with Svetlana Zakharova on 26 September, 2 and 6 October.

Not only a disappointment for those who hoped to see Zakharova & Polunin together in "Sleeping Beauty" but also a worry.  La Scala officially announced his replacement due to injury:

http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/opera-ballet/2014-2015/sleeping-beauty.html

Saturday 26 September 2015 at 8pm

Princess Aurora - Svetlana Zakharova

Prince Désiré - Jacopo Tissi

Carabosse - Massimo Murru

Sergei Polunin will not be able to replace David Hallberg, as previously announced, in the performances of The Sleeping Beauty, due to a neck disease. Polunin writes: “I’m aware that the timing of this is very unfortunate and will cause considerable inconvenience. Unfortunately, unforeseen injury is the nature of dance as I’m sure you’re aware. For my part I am, of course, extremely disappointed not to be able to come and perform again with the Ballet Company of the Teatro alla Scala. I very much hope to have another opportunity to do so in due course.”

The Ballet Direction has decided to commit the performances to Jacopo Tissi, young and talented artist, graduated at the Ballet School of the Teatro alla Scala Academy in June 2014. He will dance with Svetlana Zakharova on 26 September, 2 and 6 October.

It seems Osipova and Polunin are having a great effect in each other....

BUT its a good example to young ballet dancers that if you work and take your chances...and not think you are a rock star...but a disciplined athlete it can work out.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Well that is not a nice comment to say about a replacement....It has been a last minute replacement and I believe the Scala is doing the best they can do. Injuries and sickness does happen because dancers are human beings. 

Anyway Zakharova is dancing and as Janet says this might be a star in the making. 

Edited by Naomi M
  • Like 1

Well that is not a nice comment to say about a replacement....It has been a last minute replacement and I believe the Scala is doing the best they can do. Injuries and sickness does happen because dancers are human beings. 

Anyway Zakharova is dancing and as Janet says this might be a star in the making. 

My post was edited because in my frustration I could be a lot worse about Mr.Polunin. Considering his past reputation, the fact that the girl who has the same name as the new tattoo he has on his left hand has already ruled herself out of the Autumn program....I think it isn't too much of a cynical stretch of the imagination.

Also, in reading the comments about Osipova and the ROH replacements, which may not be peoples' 'cup of tea' in style etc.. It was also a reminder about how things could be worse in terms of nearly EUR1,000 for flights, hotels and tickets to originally see David Hallberg, and then when all is planned and dress (Ms SBF) has been bought etc..

A neck 'disease'? I am sorry if I am not less cynical about the events leading up to this, nor the effect it upon seeing the 'Artist' well, all I can say is. Once bitten... as the English say.

I wrote previously that for the replacement it is a sign for people to keep working to get the chance to 'star'. I have no issue with him, and wish him the best and will show my support as loud as anyone. 

The fact that it is physical and 'artists' working with their body, I can ALSO understand how frustrating 'A PAIN IN THE NECK' can be....

My post was edited because in my frustration I could be a lot worse about Mr.Polunin. Considering his past reputation, the fact that the girl who has the same name as the new tattoo he has on his left hand has already ruled herself out of the Autumn program....I think it isn't too much of a cynical stretch of the imagination.

Also, in reading the comments about Osipova and the ROH replacements, which may not be peoples' 'cup of tea' in style etc.. It was also a reminder about how things could be worse in terms of nearly EUR1,000 for flights, hotels and tickets to originally see David Hallberg, and then when all is planned and dress (Ms SBF) has been bought etc..

A neck 'disease'? I am sorry if I am not less cynical about the events leading up to this, nor the effect it upon seeing the 'Artist' well, all I can say is. Once bitten... as the English say.

I wrote previously that for the replacement it is a sign for people to keep working to get the chance to 'star'. I have no issue with him, and wish him the best and will show my support as loud as anyone. 

The fact that it is physical and 'artists' working with their body, I can ALSO understand how frustrating 'A PAIN IN THE NECK' can be....

SBF whilst I can understand your disappointment and frustration, I really don't think it's fair to insinuate that Sergei Polunin is not genuinely injured. 

• Like 5

Funny, I would, myself, have thought the star attraction of this La Scala co-production would have been Ratmansky's re-construction of The Sleeping Princess itself ... much as I believe was the case at ABT's (the other co-producer) opening in California ... but then perhaps that is just me.  David Hallberg I believe sadly had to be replaced on that occasion as well but that did little to tarnish the respectful joy with which the overall production was received by the American audiences on both the West and East coasts.  I pray that it will be same in Milan ... and send all good wishes to Mr. Tissi on the occasion of his debut in this presentation.  He evidences keen passion in this brief interview: http://video.corriere.it/iacopo-tissi-l-erede-bolle-voglio-essere-primo-ballerino/325e3e3c-0f8c-11e4-a021-a738f627e91c

May Mr. Polunin make a speedy recovery and may his neck problems not be chronic - much as they are often wont to be (says he from practical experience).  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I have said this before and I will say it again. If we choose to make a commitment in terms of plane tickets, expensive ballet tickets, hotels, etc. we have to take a risk that the person we hoped to see may be injured. It's not fun, but we have to take the risk knowingly, and not be angry at anyone if it doesn't work out. No one forces us to cough up the big bucks to go to a distant ballet performance. I say this as someone who has travelled literally halfway around the world to see a particular dancer and been disappointed.

• Like 8

Having slept on this news, which is always the best way before posting on forums I guess  :(  I am still looking forward to the performance and especially the Ratmansky choreography, which was the real reason for choosing this performance. I wanted to get an insight into how Mr Ratmansky's Swan Lake will be and how Zürich's performers will compare with Zakharova. SO that is both boxes still ticked.

I still feel that with 'Team Polunin' still announcing proudly his Giselle DVD performance at the Bolshoi with Zakharova only 2 weeks later, its not exactly serious. In any case, I still will feel it is money well spent, and we always have a great time at the ballet.

Betterankles....he was 'lent' to Vienna last season after graduating from the La Scala academy. Anyway, I hope the Balletcoforum can sympathise, and forgive for an artist style 'hissy fit'

I will give my review after the performance.

Best regards Stef

• Like 2