WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel for you all. 10 years ago we were waiting too and feeling very anxious. A no doesn't necessarily mean the end. My daughter did not get into WL nor did she even get finals for upper school but got a job with BRB straight from another vocational school. Rejection at the time felt like the end of her dream but it wasn't. Mind you we did have to visit quite a few tea shops to console ourselves.

• Like 19

Feel for you all. 10 years ago we were waiting too and feeling very anxious. A no doesn't necessarily mean the end. My daughter did not get into WL nor did she even get finals for upper school but got a job with BRB straight from another vocational school. Rejection at the time felt like the end of her dream but it wasn't. Mind you we did have to visit quite a few tea shops to console ourselves.

That's lovely or hear. 

Can I ask which vocational school your daughter attended? 

Thank you

• Like 1

There are a couple of girls who have been offered Year 8 as well.

Congratulations! Pretty amazing to get Year 8!!

At that point we just want to get the results email and just move on....just feel bad that after all this wait will have this conversation about not getting in like most of us... just really want to move forward ...

• Like 1

The longer it goes on the more I have convinced myself it's a definite no. Totally talked myself out of the idea that she'll be offered a place! So would be genuinely in shock if she does (but she won't!). Too many girls there for anyone who has any kind of weakness to stand a chance and I believe my daughter probably isn't flexible enough. I remember seeing a couple of JAs a few years ago who subsequently went on to being offered a place at WL showing amazing flexibility. My daughter is flexible but they were like rubber. Would anyone with WL experience second that extreme flexibility is right at top of priorities for the panel?

• Like 1

The longer it goes on the more I have convinced myself it's a definite no. Totally talked myself out of the idea that she'll be offered a place! So would be genuinely in shock if she does (but she won't!). Too many girls there for anyone who has any kind of weakness to stand a chance and I believe my daughter probably isn't flexible enough. I remember seeing a couple of JAs a few years ago who subsequently went on to being offered a place at WL showing amazing flexibility. My daughter is flexible but they were like rubber. Would anyone with WL experience second that extreme flexibility is right at top of priorities for the panel?

Sorry not nearly WL but I think flexibility is a workable thing (unlike turn out or other things that can't be worked on if not there at all) .. so shouldn't be a problem especially if a child works on it and is doing great... I've been asking same question about excessive flexibility and it is not welcome and not workable... so we all are worried just about different things I would guess..it is not over until it is over ... most of us will get a no but for now they all still have equal chance ... Edited by Hopeful????

Sorry not nearly WL but I think flexibility is a workable thing (unlike turn out or other things that can't be worked on if not there at all) .. so shouldn't be a problem especially if a child works on it and is doing great... I've been asking same question about excessive flexibility and it is not welcome and not workable... so we all are worried just about different things I would guess..it is not over until it is over ... most of us will get a no but for now they all still have equal chance ...

Thank you Hopeful! Reassuring to know that I'm not the only one obsessing over the details which we can do absolutely nothing about! I think it's just a way of trying to second guess the result so we are totally prepared for it. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is the day...although I have a feeling it will be more like Friday.

• Like 1

Thank you Hopeful! Reassuring to know that I'm not the only one obsessing over the details which we can do absolutely nothing about! I think it's just a way of trying to second guess the result so we are totally prepared for it. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is the day...although I have a feeling it will be more like Friday.

This is the longest week ever! All I can think about is overanalysing it... no solving this one though...
  • Like 1

They look for natural turnout and some degree of flexibility but not amazing flexibility as this can be developed. My dd was certainly not in the amazing category when she got in 2 years ago!!

It is a balance of so many things that they look for that you could go mad trying to understand why some get in and others don't. Different shapes, flexibility, looks, experience, technique, etc, etc .... I'm still not sure ????

• Like 1

Dd had wonderful experiences at White Lodge performing in nutcracker swan lake defile, but being assessed out felt like the end of the world at the time, the race to get a place at her local school was particularly stressful as we were told no places & over subscribed! Students that are assessed out don't automatically get places at other vocational schools even tho they're from White Lodge. Some are so upset they feel they can no longer carry on with ballet, thankfully in dd case we have very good local training & she is now a RBS SA & was offered a place at her local secondary school & now very happy being back at home!

• Like 17

Just to confirm that you can be too flexible for WL!  My DS was a JA and picked up as possibly hypermobile because he was flexible.  As soon as he got to WL for the finals he was whisked off for assessment.  And when the current students came back at the end of the day, his build was so different from theirs in my heart of hearts I knew the answer was a "no."  

As the years have gone by, the lack of core stability, probably linked to the flexibility became the bane of his life.  He is now a ballet dancer, but spends as much time in the gym as the ballet studio, building core and upper body strength.

This is a long winded way of saying there's no point second guessing what is wanted, and there are definitely many routes to your goal.  

• Like 10

Dd had wonderful experiences at White Lodge performing in nutcracker swan lake defile, but being assessed out felt like the end of the world at the time, the race to get a place at her local school was particularly stressful as we were told no places & over subscribed! Students that are assessed out don't automatically get places at other vocational schools even tho they're from White Lodge. Some are so upset they feel they can no longer carry on with ballet, thankfully in dd case we have very good local training & she is now a RBS SA & was offered a place at her local secondary school & now very happy being back at home!

Very glad your dd is now happily settled back at home.

Friends dd was an audition with a couple of girls who had been assessed out of WL, current year 9's I believe so could be a couple of places coming up!! Obviously a massive shame for the girls leaving but from what I hear they were in good spirits and looking forward to a new adventure. Best of luck to them going forward and also to their replacements, exciting times all round I would say :)