WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

I think some could also have amazing technique AND sparkle!

We can't guess what the panel thinks and the results really, we only know half the picture and it is what our DD did or felt ...but our DD is not a panel :) maybe what would appear as amazing technique might not look like that to the panel :) the panel are highly professional and our girls are not ....and the opposite what our girls maybe might thing went wrong the panel could spot the potential ...also they might not like particular sparkle :) all a guess game on our part !!! And as we know they have a mix of technique in year seven usually and I would assume a mix of different sparkle :) so I think while we all know most of the girls will get a no, all the girls who went to finals are still potential yeses .... hope we get results soon!!!

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 5

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to everyone waiting for results, my dd attended W/L from years 7-9, she joined having little experience of competitions, private lessons, had only just started pointe at 11. Looking back she now she would have benefited joining W/L at a higher grade & having had more ballet tuition such as private lessons, summer schools etc, she had to play catch up for the first year, and unfortunately was assessed out in yr 9. Which was devastating for everyone.

Getting a place a White Lodge is a huge achievement & dd loved her time there, but believe me it is very competitive and I genuinely feel that for girls especially joining the school with a high level of previous ballet tuition is a huge advantage.

• Like 7

Good luck to everyone waiting for results, my dd attended W/L from years 7-9, she joined having little experience of competitions, private lessons, had only just started pointe at 11. Looking back she now she would have benefited joining W/L at a higher grade & having had more ballet tuition such as private lessons, summer schools etc, she had to play catch up for the first year, and unfortunately was assessed out in yr 9. Which was devastating for everyone.

Getting a place a White Lodge is a huge achievement & dd loved her time there, but believe me it is very competitive and I genuinely feel that for girls especially joining the school with a high level of previous ballet tuition is a huge advantage.

Thank you Balletjack, it is precious to learn something from the people who had DC in WL! You have a very talented girl to get a yes!

• Like 1

As has been said only the panel know what they want to see. There are those who have several hours ballet a week including private tuition and are JAs and did not make finals and those who have only danced for a few years at local schools who were there at the weekend. Well done to those who put themselves through prelims and fingers crossed a yes this week. For the nos you are all stars. Many may well be offered places elsewhere or later this year or in the future, even at WL. This is just the start of the journey and as has been said each year brings its own roller coaster until you hopefully see your DC up on the stage as a professional. Good luck to all!

• Like 8

Please also bare (?) in mind that RBS also makes mistakes and some lovely dancers in top companies never went through their doors!

You could also look at it in terms of some dancers not having the particular RBS look or physique, but doesn't mean they can't still be successful dancers with other companies.

There is one dancer I know of who didn't make it through to finals who was a JA, is a lovely dancer and has the RBS physique - nothing can be taken for granted.

Edited by Newdancermum
  • Like 2

It may not even be the physique, can be 'the look' they want.

More than once I have heard the phrase 'if your face fits' in connection with RBS. Which I have always taken to mean something along the lines of a certain something in the child's overall look that fits with what Royal look for, rather than just 'physique'.

It sounds imprecise and probably is, but I have to say that I have seen girls at auditions with that look and it's just something you can recognise, and it is something I reckon that comes into play in a mysterious and nebulous way!

• Like 1

It may not even be the physique, can be 'the look' they want.

More than once I have heard the phrase 'if your face fits' in connection with RBS. Which I have always taken to mean something along the lines of a certain something in the child's overall look that fits with what Royal look for, rather than just 'physique'.

It sounds imprecise and probably is, but I have to say that I have seen girls at auditions with that look and it's just something you can recognise, and it is something I reckon that comes into play in a mysterious and nebulous way!

Audition is not an indication of whom they will take in any particular time ???? it was a huge final of year 7, and we really don't know.... they might do something different ????

Not wishing to sound contrary, but I personally don't think there is a certain look, type or physique. I think they select children for certain reasons and hope they've made a wise choice. They don't have a crystal ball and therefore some decisions made are incorrect. I suspect they try a different method the following year in an attempt decrease the numbers leaving! It's all trial and error like everything really.

• Like 1

I just meant that in terms of having a 'look' not just physique that fits a certain school, it is very nebulous but recognisable.

I didn't mean it was what had happened at the auditions this year.

I get what you mean there is a look we might perceive as Royal ...but any child that gets in this year right a way too becomes the one with RBS face :) so we just have to see what are those this year... it is all very subjective and any talent, physique, the mentioned sparkle, face that a child has will be by definition Royal once a child is in. I don't believe there is any child who is perfect in any possible way, they are all human... so I think panel always look at the entire package to decide

If a child doesn't get a place it doesn't mean doesn't have it ... hope make sense ...

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 1

I didn't see it in our JA visit, they looked like any other ballet kids ...

Similar because of the bun, being thin, having the same training perhaps, but same in any selective ballet school. I didn't see any particular similarities but if there is a look that we all are said they are after :) I prefere not to think about it too much. And I don't think the panel would ever give an honest feedback like, sorry child face is not Royal face ... so no way to know if get a no if it was a face :)

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 1

Didn't someone on here in the know a few years back say, especially for the girls already at White Lodge that they were all "clones of each other" ?

The only thing perhaps for me there were no really extreme faces for the luck of better word, but they still all looked individual ....

Lisa at JAs they all looked very similar in build. So once they were in the same leotards with crossed plaits it could be tricky to spot your child..... I have been told recently that they take a wider selection of body shapes now.

• Like 1

The only thing perhaps for me there were no really extreme faces for the luck of better word, but they still all looked individual ....

I don't think the poster meant just facially, but in every physical way. I could be wrong though. Can't remember who said it.

• Like 1

Thank you C4D. The wait is awful! I think Tuesday has often been the day of results in the past, however they weren't auditioning on a Saturday in previous years. So half expecting another day's wait. ????

I think even longer as last year no Sat and not so many to deal with ... good luck!!!!

Anyone else's daughter starting to fall apart a bit? Mine is emotional wreck! Honestly never known anything like this. I knew it would be bad but....

No, but mine kept her hair in a bun all weekend, and has done her room up with bunting like the year 7 dormitory.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My DS is feeling very anxious and like most DC he wants it more having been to the Audition at White Lodge. Does anyone know if there's a particular order in the way results are distributed. Do the DC who auditioned last weekend hear something first and so on? I don't think the refresh key on my phone can take it much longer????

Previously they have sent out results in order of the audition date. The girls who auditioned for y8-11 the week before y 7 finals still haven't heard though so am guessing they will send out those results before any from last weekends final. They have been waiting for 10 days now!

It sounds like the poor old Royal email dragon is going to be working overtime this week if, as they claim, they are also sending out 3000 results for summer school this week.l ????

• Like 2