WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopeful I sense that you are in a little bit of "shock" at the moment and I had noticed that also that you had not posted. Perhaps you felt the same as me when DD got her offers from upper schools that you didn't feel like posting the result because a. It is something private after all, b. You are perhaps feeling guilty because some people do get a no and you do not want to seem to be "gloating" and c. Sometimes people do feel negative about different places and you do not want your joy to be tainted. That is fine I think on this forum we celebrate and commiserate in equal measure, we look for answers when really there are non, it's just life, fate call it what you will. In the end I think that it is lovely that there are still those children who are not afraid of hard work, will strive for excellence no matter what and will eventually be the kind of adults who make the world a better place, that is all we want for our children in the end, that and their happiness. So hug that joy to yourself, if it was us in your place we would do the same and I am sure I am not alone in wishing you and your DD happiness in the future at WL, may the fates be kind and her hard work rewarded.

DRSC

Edited by dramascientist
  • Like 14

Thank you! This group was and is an amazing source of support and info...

.. I'm very happy I could share it here....

I'm happy but shocked you absolutely right ... more shocked than my DD for sure ... This was really hoped for, but totally unexpected on so many levels ...

Can't even imagine dealing with upper school!

Thank you for the kind wishes...I share the same for all who got in or not yet ...

I do believe our kids future is not predetermined by the panel of year 7 results either way ...

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 5

Hopeful I sense that you are in a little bit of "shock" at the moment and I had noticed that also that you had not posted. Perhaps you felt the same as me when DD got her offers from upper schools that you didn't feel like posting the result because a. It is something private after all, b. You are perhaps feeling guilty because some people do get a no and you do not want to seem to be "gloating" and c. Sometimes people do feel negative about different places and you do not want your joy to be tainted. That is fine I think on this forum we celebrate and commiserate in equal measure, we look for answers when really there are non, it's just life, fate call it what you will. In the end I think that it is lovely that there are still those children who are not afraid of hard work, will strive for excellence no matter what and will eventually be the kind of adults who make the world a better place, that is all we want for our children in the end, that and their happiness. So hug that joy to yourself, if it was us in your place we would do the same and I am sure I am not alone in wishing you and your DD happiness in the future at WL, may the fates be kind and her hard work rewarded.

DRSC

Very well put!

• Like 4

A lovely post dramascientist but on the flip side it's also hard to share disappointment. My DD has been a JA for two and half years, didn't get finals-was completely devastated. Has returned to her JA class to 'find out' who got finals, smile and congratulate them but at the same time deal with her own 'rejection'.

Now finals are complete she returns to that class again, this time to see those wonderful DD's celebrate their success in gaining a place, one of them is a very dear friend, this is so hard for her, she is amazing, and she will move on, we have plans in place, but for now her little world has crumbled.

• Like 6

Oh dear Scoobydoo of course I feel for you in the same way, it can be so hard to see them upset but what a lovely girl your DD must be to wish her friends well when really she is crying inside. I am sure that WL staff must also feel so awful themselves at having to say no when there are so many talented dancers and even if you know rejection Is part of the game it doesn't make it any easier to bear. I do hope your plans work out and that your DD feels better soon.

DRSC

• Like 5

Scoobydoo - I really feel for you and your dd - I'm so sorry we've been there and I know it's heartbreaking.

Things got worse for us as my dd felt like she was the only one in the group who didn't get a place somewhere or MAs.

However, she carried on working hard, re-auditioned and it was nos again. Tried again and is now at another school having been offered an MDS.

I know nothing will make you feel better now but try to look forward and make some plans because it will get better at some stage xxx

• Like 12

A lovely post dramascientist but on the flip side it's also hard to share disappointment. My DD has been a JA for two and half years, didn't get finals-was completely devastated. Has returned to her JA class to 'find out' who got finals, smile and congratulate them but at the same time deal with her own 'rejection'.

Now finals are complete she returns to that class again, this time to see those wonderful DD's celebrate their success in gaining a place, one of them is a very dear friend, this is so hard for her, she is amazing, and she will move on, we have plans in place, but for now her little world has crumbled.

Scoobydoo your post does bring back some sad memories ..... My dd was one of 3 from the whole JA class that year that didn't get a final she was so upset and. At the time you don't realise how young they are to cope with their feelings my dd just thought she was "rubbish" and that is why they didn't pick her ..... I was so disappointed I'm not ashamed to say I actually cried to my Mother ...... The JA teacher had really raised my hopes to for my dd to in our annual phone call

...I asked for feedback through her local teacher as you can if you are a JA and everything Mark Annear said made perfect sense and put a lot into perspective for not only my dd but for myself , nothing to do with ability all physical and there is nothing you can do about that , she was wait listed for Mids.

She went on to have 5 wonderful years at The Hammond and last year gained a place on the RBS Adv Ass programme ( that's another story) .

Another opportunity will come along for your dd ,I'm a firm believer in "what is for you will not pass you by"

• Like 8

Sarahw and Hairbelles I'm with you on the tears! Students exam results, students disappointments, students achievements- I think I'm a bit soppy! Even today, I've managed to fill up because a group of kids ive taught since they were tots have taken their last musical theatre exam, I need to get a grip

• Like 7

I think it's so hard to be a dance mum. There are some great highs, some awful lows and everything else in between. I have realised more and more over the years that I have to go with it more than is naturally my way of doing things and not to be surprised (although sometimes disappointed) at other people with influence's choices at auditions, examinations, for parts etc when they don't give dd what she hoped for. The most important thing is to have a happy, healthy dd who is equipped to be an independent, confident adult, who hopefully gets a job in the dance world in a place that feels right and happy for her. We have wondered about the best path to take (and still continue to make decisions) but we make the choices we can from the options we have, trying to remember all the things that are important to ensure dd's happiness and work towards a successful career. I'm sure there will be many more ups and downs before we're through. I think that maybe there is more intensity and more regular competition in the dance world, but having had 2 non dancing children too, I would equally say that it's just hard to be a mum who wants the best for her kids and for them to succeed and be happy, which we all do, so I'll just reflect that it's hard to be a mum and send love and empathetic thoughts to all the mums out there.

Edited to delete rogue apostrophe!

Edited by Karen
  • Like 14

Sarahw and Hairbelles I'm with you on the tears! Students exam results, students disappointments, students achievements- I think I'm a bit soppy! Even today, I've managed to fill up because a group of kids ive taught since they were tots have taken their last musical theatre exam, I need to get a grip

Which is probably a substantial part of making you a good teacher. X

• Like 3

I think it's so hard to be a dance mum. There are some great highs, some awful lows and everything else in between. I have realised more and more over the years that I have to go with it more than is naturally my way of doing things and not to be surprised (although sometimes disappointed) at other people with influence's choices at auditions, examinations, for parts etc when they don't give dd what she hoped for. The most important thing is to have a happy, healthy dd who is equipped to be an independent, confident adult, who hopefully gets a job in the dance world in a place that feels right and happy for her. We have wondered about the best path to take (and still continue to make decisions) but we make the choices we can from the options we have, trying to remember all the things that are important to ensure dd's happiness and work towards a successful career. I'm sure there will be many more ups and downs before we're through. I think that maybe there is more intensity and more regular competition in the dance world, but having had 2 non dancing children too, I would equally say that it's just hard to be a mum who wants the best for her kids and for them to succeed and be happy, which we all do, so I'll just reflect that it's hard to be a mum and send love and empathetic thoughts to all the mums out there.

Edited to delete rogue apostrophe!

Yes ! I have 4 wonderful children only one of whom decided to follow the dance route. DH and I are both involved in the music and dance world so I was hoping that Dancing DS would know better !!! But as a parent I have the same concerns for all of my children and as you say we make the best decisions we can based on the information we have at hand, support our kids and keep our fingers crossed that they will be content in their chosen areas and confident enough to adapt when needs must. Oh and a big shout out to the Dads who perhaps seem to take a backseat during all this rigmarole ! X

• Like 3

Hi tired mummy - if talking about RBS audition feedback - then you can ask her current ballet teacher to ask for feedback for you. You could ask her to ask them about physio assessment feedback. They generally don't give feedback to parents.

Thank you for the advice, had the feedback and it was very useful.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Back in March we felt really sad that DD didn't get finals for WL, then being placed on RBS Mids wait list followed by another wait list, but no place became available on either. 

But now good news! A place on the Elmhurst young dancers programme for year 7! 

You know I'm a great believer in things that are meant to be.  💜 Tonight I have one very happy DD, and one happy me!!

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 23