WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

Thank you Newbie mum. My point is not every super talented child is a JA but that doesn't mean they aren't exceptional dancers. Just that JA wasn't an option because of location. However if I had known to ignore the eligibility criteria I along with others may have applied for our dc. It seems to me JA have an unfair advantage then.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, children are occasionally put up a year in academic schools although it probably happens more in the independent sector. It's not for me to say how the RBS should operate its admission arrangements but it can cause problems accelerating a child as the child may lag behind his/her peers physically and, particularly, socially and emotionally in the already generally challenging teenage years. On a practical level, universities may be reluctant to accept students who will still be legal minors when they start their courses.

• Like 1

There have always been children who are in a school year ahead of themselves for various reasons. We were advised that for many children, however able, it wasn't such a great idea as they would be likely to find it difficult to cope emotionally - especially during puberty. However, the child in question is clearly very special and considered able to cope as she is already known to the RBS as part of their training system; I wish her every success!

I have often procrastinated to my poor dance mum friends that the classes at Vocational School should be in ability and not academic years .....the little dancer in question could have a Srptember birthday for instance making her roughly the same age.

My dd ,an August birthday , was nearer in age to the year below her and it often showed . She also had a very bad injury , I would have been more than happy for her to repeat a year or dance with the year below.

Yes it could be said JAs might have an advantage but the flip side to that is that all your less obvious "faults" could have been noticed too.

• Like 3

Thank you Newbie mum. My point is not every super talented child is a JA but that doesn't mean they aren't exceptional dancers. Just that JA wasn't an option because of location. However if I had known to ignore the eligibility criteria I along with others may have applied for our dc. It seems to me JA have an unfair advantage then.

I have to disagree with you here because I don't think anyone can just "ignore" the eligibility criteria, and I would imagine if you did apply early you would be told that she was too young and would have to wait until she reached the correct age. I think this sort of thing is very rare and the invitation has only been extended to this child because if she is already a JA then the staff will know her very well, know her abilities, her maturity levels and her commitment as well as her weaknesses, meaning they can make an informed decision on whether to allow her to audition with her class, all be it a year early. Where as someone unknown to RBS just sending in an application a year early is the Unknown, and if they were to accept early admissions they would have to lower the age for everyone which isn't a realistic option, this is clearly a one off (or rare occurrence at least) And yes maybe JA's do have an advantage as in being known by the staff but so what, they have worked incredibly hard to gain that place and attend their classes and as someone else pointed out they are also at a disadvantage too as staff will know their weaknesses!! It is a shame that there are not more centres for JA's to allow more children the opportunity to join but such is life, they can't accommodate for everyone after all!!

• Like 5

In my opinion Ballet is an art form, subjective and not fair in nature...it is a long and unpredictable journey, and at no point ballet is based on "fairness". Art is an art ... First of all some genes win! Then some have better teachers and more resources. Then there is nothing fair in being born the way RBS likes you! No amount of hard work can change some things...So there is a luck involved...some will start earlier and some will never make it at all. DC depends on what the W is after this year and a panel...later some will assessed out and some will never be soloists even if very deserving... and a director will pick somebody else who I maybe would think is less deserving or talented and is much younger ! Some will never even make it to the company ... it is just that... very subjective ...

I honestly don't mind anyone else who makes it earlier. I just hope my own child will get a yes and be successful... if she makes it she will be one of the oldest in class to begin with... Some very talented DC born into circumstances that they parents never even send them to ballet and then it is too late to start...so very fortunate to try for year seven at all...

I don't mind there will be a five year old next to her if she gets in and if she gets a no I don't mind who gets a yes and what year they are and how amazing or not ...

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 9

My dd is just 11 at the end of July so will be one of the younger ones auditioning , if the other one has a birthday in September then only just missed so if talented would be a shame to miss out . Also school years in Scotland are different and not sure if still is but used to be a cut off date and end of march rather than end of August so anyone from Scotland could be slightly younger or older I suppose . Good luck to everyone and look forward to meeting some of you next week . ????

• Like 4

Hairbelles - would we do it all again...? With the stress of auditions, waiting for results, appraisals, being assessed out, change of school, injuries, more auditions and waiting, company auditions, child working abroad, operation, finally giving up ballet...? Oh yes, in a heartbeat x

And I didn't mention the money lol

Brace yourselves everyone for the mad rollercoaster ride.

Try not to think about what things mean, like the "call backs" - all that matters is that your child does his/her best and enjoys the experience. Everything else is out of your/their control.

If you do get a yes, prepare yourself for initial euphoria then for mild panic to set in a few days later!

• Like 3

It can be frustrating at times, as my GDD was born on the last day of August, although there's no point in worrying about something you just can't alter. In the early days up to a years difference in age can be massive when it comes to audition finals such as WL with all the talent on show. Now she's a 14 the age gap doesn't matter so much, as the strength is there.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more with Vonrothbart's comments..myDD also born on last day of August and when auditioning we felt quite frustrated that her friends just a week younger than her would have a whole more year to prepare... but she was still offered a place at WL & is the youngest girl student there at the moment ..so I would forget about the ages ...

• Like 5

Just kissed my biggest baby goodbye and good luck...he's off to school today and then his dad is taking him down to London straight after school, by which time I won't be back from work and picking up other DC, so I won't see him again until they get back after the finals tomorrow. Apparently his dad is his good luck charm, so I have been banished from the day! I thought I was being all nonchalant about the whole process until it all became very real this morning!!

Just wanted to wish all the prospective y7 boys tomorrow and then the girls on thurs and Friday all the very best with their auditions. It will be an amazing experience whatever the outcome.

xxx

• Like 10

Good luck to your DS Wiglgybunny!! I'll be thinking of him tomorrow and keeping everything crossed for you all xxxxx

Just kissed my biggest baby goodbye and good luck...he's off to school today and then his dad is taking him down to London straight after school, by which time I won't be back from work and picking up other DC, so I won't see him again until they get back after the finals tomorrow. Apparently his dad is his good luck charm, so I have been banished from the day! I thought I was being all nonchalant about the whole process until it all became very real this morning!!

Just wanted to wish all the prospective y7 boys tomorrow and then the girls on thurs and Friday all the very best with their auditions. It will be an amazing experience whatever the outcome.

xxx

• Like 2

Has anybody heard approximately how many girls are auditioning for y7 places tomorrow/Saturday? There's a mum at Bath JAs who seems to know all this type of info through her JA teacher! Makes no difference of course but would be good to prepare DD if there are going to be 60 girls there.

There seems to be loads of you just on here but maybe it's just my perception! I'd just prepare her for a large number and then it will be a pleasant surprise if there's less! Very best of luck to all those auditioning x

Has anybody heard approximately how many girls are auditioning for y7 places tomorrow/Saturday? There's a mum at Bath JAs who seems to know all this type of info through her JA teacher! Makes no difference of course but would be good to prepare DD if there are going to be 60 girls there.

Don't worry Cablegirl, there's always someone who knows all the info, usually they come up short though. ;)

• Like 1

Our JA teacher said that 50 girls had been selected for the final.

The girls already at WL have been told 50-60 girls which is why it is running over 2 days but don't ever quote them!!!

The girls already at WL have been told 50-60 girls which is why it is running over 2 days but don't ever quote them!!!