The Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty performances, 2016-2017

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fonty, you don't want to know!

It's a good while until Cuthbertson's next performance (which I *am* scheduled to see), so I hope she'll be fully recovered by then, for both dancers' sakes.

That sounds very like what I came down with on Sunday. :( I hope Miss Cuthbertson hasn't come down with it!

Hope you feel better soon, alison.

Oh dear, sounds as though it may be doing the rounds in that case (although I hope not at the RB)! I think I'm technically out of the woods now, but not fit for tomorrow night's performance, unfortunately. Oh well, at least that cast is on at the cinema.

• Like 1

Another wonderful and truly uplifting performance from Naghdi/Ball tonight. They are youthful yet mature, full of the joy of spring yet regal....and both innately classical. What a partnership, manifest in so many different ways. Huge bravo to them both.

Hayley Maloney was a revelation as Carabosse; only her second performance yet one of the best I've seen. Deliciously evil!

Lovely Lilac from Tierney Heap, very nice Bluebird/Florine from Hay and Takada, and great to see O'Sullivan and Sambe paired up again in the Florestan pdd (with Mayara Magri making up the trio with aplomb), but I preferred him as Bluebird.

I was very sorry not to see Lauren, but I can't imagine a more worthy substitute than Yasmine Naghdi.

• Like 10

Really thought that Yasmine's performance tonight warranted the Director walking on stage at the end and telling her the magic words

You and me both Tony, and many others who were there. Wouldn't it be a great thing to happen on Saturday after their final show! I think she has made her bones and proved that she is Principal-worthy.

• Like 5

assoluta, I don't think that the RB has ever suggested that the Garland Dance is a reconstruction of anything.

I didn't suggest that, I said that your post reminds all of us that the modern choreographers, including the ones who have been darlings of the critics, simply do not measure up in terms of their command of the idiom of classical dance with those who should they consider to be their masters. This is particularly noticeable in the works that are presented as "reconstructions", as the viewing public has little knowledge of what has been "retrieved" from the available sources, what is new choreography.

I can only reiterate what others have said: Naghdi and Ball delivered again and last night they were truly stunning . They had a very appreciative audience and their constant applause said it all. A couple of giant bouquets were delivered to Naghdi at the curtain call.

Tierney Heap was an authoritative Lilac Fairy, Akane Takada/James Hay simply gorgeous in the Bluebird Variation, and O'Sullivan/Sambe/Magri great as Florimond & sisters.

This run of Sleeping Beauty is being given a completely new life thanks to all the young oh so talented dancers!

• Like 10

Hayley Maloney was a revelation as Carabosse; only her second performance yet one of the best I've seen. Deliciously evil!

I thought Forskitt's Carabosse was excellent when I saw it last week.  However, after I tweeted about her "debut" she messaged me to say she had done it before (which triggered the appropriate memory...).  Still, rather embarrassing for me!

• Like 3

Really thought that Yasmine's performance tonight warranted the Director walking on stage at the end and telling her the magic words

At the moment, the Royal Ballet has 8 permanent female principals. Perhaps Mr O'Hare feels he has a full house at the moment?  

Maybe he is waiting until Yanowsky officially retires, when a new spot will become available.  .

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

I too thought that Hayley Forskitt was excellent.

I enjoyed the surprise substitution though of course regretted not seeing Ms Cuthbertson. Some aspects of their variations felt a little rushed but they were very minor. The fact that they still have a lot of experience ahead for them is a lovely prospect. I'm not quite feeling that Yasmine is Principal material just yet (just my own uneducated opinion). I think maybe she needs another season or two to bed in, in my opinion. I would have liked a bit more Oompf in places from the orchestra, but I think I am comparing them to cinema-broadcast Maryinsky orchestra from a few weeks ago, who are very oompf-laden!

On the basis of an interview which he gave to Gramophone Magazine I believe that the Music Director believes that Tchaikovsky was a composer whose  markings should be followed rather than a superior ballet composer whose scores can, and should be adjusted to suit the taste of the audience and the whims of the dancers. That's probably why the music has little obvious Oomph during this part of the run..

As Mr O'Hare pointed out in the coaching session with Naghdi and Ball the Sleeping Beauty is not Don Q it is a purely classical piece. As far as the question of whether Naghdi is ready to be promoted is concerned I'm not sure that anyone is really ready until they are well into their careers and almost on the point of retirement. Most promotions to Principal dancer are calculated assessments of likely future development. Dancers have been promoted to Principal on far less evidence than Naghdi has provided. Personally I would be prepared to make the promotion because on the basis of what I have seen I don't think that it's much of a gamble and making her a Principal would ensure that she gets the performances which she needs to develop as an artist. She is clearly a very intelligent and very musical dancer. I'm not sure that I have ever seen such an assured debut as Aurora. This is a dancer who does effortless, easy, elegance and grandeur. Act III is about grandeur not show biz. Her Act 1 is full of teenage vivacity and good manners, she does not ignore any of her suitors, and she treats the Rose Adagio as a right of passage rather than an Olympic event. If the Vision scene is not sufficiently distant and vision-like  for my tastes I recognise that this is a fault which affects many dancers' interpretation of the role.

This year's promotions will be very interesting. At the moment the company is down two male Principal dancers but has anyone noticed any effect on the performances we have seen apart from giving more opportunities to the lower tiers of the company who so far seem to the equal to the task?

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 7

I think the injuries in the Sleeping Beauty run are starting to stack up. James Hay and Helen Crawford are being replaced this evening due to injury. Anna-Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe are doing the honours respectively - Fairy of the Golden Vine and Florestan.

One more performance on Saturday (matinee) to go after this one for a total of four! Just hope that Yasmine and Matthew stay fit for Saturday. I don't think I've enjoyed this ballet this much before. Here's to Friday rush and standing places!!

• Like 5

I too thought that Hayley Forskitt was excellent.

I enjoyed the surprise substitution though of course regretted not seeing Ms Cuthbertson. Some aspects of their variations felt a little rushed but they were very minor. The fact that they still have a lot of experience ahead for them is a lovely prospect. I'm not quite feeling that Yasmine is Principal material just yet (just my own uneducated opinion). I think maybe she needs another season or two to bed in, in my opinion. I would have liked a bit more Oompf in places from the orchestra, but I think I am comparing them to cinema-broadcast Maryinsky orchestra from a few weeks ago, who are very oompf-laden!

Everyone is of course perfectly entitled to have their own opinions, appreciations, judgements, preferences, and to have their own favourites (and I will never hide that I am a great admirer of Miss Naghdi).

I am not commenting here with the intention to defend AT ALLbut anybody who has been lucky enough to have seen Miss Naghdi's Sugar Plum Fairy (one only has to read Jonathan Gray's (The Dancing Times) glowing reviewing of her Sugar Plum Fairy, describing her as "...the most purely classical ballerina of all the younger dancers emerging from within the ranks of The Royal Ballet. ...with luscious melting quality of movement, and who drew deep into the music,.." 

For those of us who have seen Miss Naghdi's glorious Rose Fairy, stunning Sugar Plum Fairy and her amazingly confident and secure debut as Aurora last Saturday, her tour de force (taking over from an injured dancer) and dancing Mathilde Kschessinska on 2 days notice (said to be the most difficult pd2 in the ballet repertoire), her tears-inducing Juliet in "Romeo & Juliet", her Olga in "Onegin", her deeply moving performance in "The Invitation", not to mention her performance in the notoriously difficult "Symphonic Variations" and "Monotones"....well, as far as I am concerned, she is a dancer who has truly earned her stripes and who has fully proofed herself to become a worthy young Principal.                          

I am not saying there are no other talented dancers in the Company (there are other dancers I admire such as Miss Takada, to name but one!), but as a First Soloist Miss Naghdi is the closest to pure Classical perfection combined with beautiful artistry, and she has done proper time in the Corps de Ballet and at Soloist level.                                   

• Like 9

Beautifully put NinaG, and I agree with every word.  As someone mentioned above, people have been promoted to principal with much less of a pedigree and not having danced more than a couple of principal roles.  As FLOSS said, a big proportion of promotion to principal is on trust, as it were:  you see the potential in someone to attain those heights if they are given the chance to reach them.  Miss Naghdi is a very talented, intelligent, musical, dramatic and technically assured dancer, and if anyone is ready to move upwards at the moment it surely must be her.  

• Like 9

These are all excellent points, especially thoughts about promise and others being promoted on much fewer merits. I haven't seen her as much as others, so my impression and conclusions perhaps based on a paucity of evidence. Certainly she has great talents, and I'd not object to promotion at all. You've all given me great food for thought about my own impressions and thoughts.

• Like 6

Further to Nina G's list above, Yasmine Naghdi also danced in Giselle Reimagined (sorry if I have misremembered the title) where she demonstrated what a beautiful 'real' Giselle she will be.

That's true - I could imagine her being a near perfect Giselle, it would be an ideal role for her I reckon

• Like 4

Out of interest, which dancers, at the Royal Ballet, have been unexpectedly promoted to principal other than Darcey Bussell? I gather this is something that is not unusual at Paris Opera, has it also been the case in other major companies? ( Sorry to divert the thread of this topic).

Much as I like Sleeping Beauty. I am not one to fawn over it or this production. It is a whimsical piece, pantominesk in places, has one memorable piece of music and is really family fun and magical for children. It is a professional production of it, an extremely professional one by an extremely professional company. It is nonsense very well done.

Much as I like Sleeping Beauty. I am not one to fawn over it or this production. It is a whimsical piece, pantominesk in places, has one memorable piece of music and is really family fun and magical for children. It is a professional production of it, an extremely professional one by an extremely professional company. It is nonsense very well done.

Interesting thoughts Shya100.

Personally I think Sleeping Beauty is not suitable for young children (unless they are ballet obsessed) as there is far too much dancing and far too little story telling for them to get their teeth into.

I would agree it is nonsense very well done though.

• Like 1

Sorry Sim, I think that some of them are nonsense but it doesn't mean to say that I don't great an excited feeling in the pit of my tummy when I see them scheduled in the programme.

The one I would definitely except is Giselle as I think some of the strands within it are still relevant to today.