The Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty performances, 2016-2017

I really enjoyed last night and it is great to have Nela back onstage...and Vadim, for that matter!  I still had their marvellous Giselle in my mind, and I think anything after that would be a slight let-down.  Not that this was a let-down, but with no real depth of emotion here, there is not an awful lot they could do except dance the steps well and prettily, and that is what they did.  So I didn't leave feeling blown away, but I just greatly enjoyed it.  Nela seemed very slightly tentative at first, but very quickly warmed up and did what she does best:  dance a beautifully executed classical ballet.  Vadim was exemplary in his partnering and his dancing, but I must say I agree with Anna above that James Hay moved me more in the solo, and his steps were every bit as well placed and held as Vadim's were.  The only reason I am not seeing him tonight is because it's my wedding anniversary and we are doing something else!  So sadly I only caught his debut.  I am sure that when I see Nela and Vadim again in a few days it will be even better.

Agree again with Anna that Yasmine Naghdi's Woodland Glade fairy was fabulous.   I loved Kirsten McNally's Carabosse....sexy and sarcastic and joyously wicked.  One complaint about the staging....in the awakening scene, the bed is angled such that no-one on the left-hand side of the stage can see the destruction of Carabosse as the mirror above the bed cracks.  The angle, and the curtain, completely block this off from the left side.  That is very poor.  As far as that side of the audience is concerned, Carabosse disappears behind the bed and that's it, she is never seen again!  What happened to her, someone near me was wondering last night.....I think this needs to be re-thought. 

Back to the dancing....wow, I was totally bowled over by Marcellino Sambe and Anna Rose O'Sullivan as Bluebird and Florine.  Judging by the loud and prolonged applause, so was everyone else!  Fabulous virtuoso dancing from him (the height of those jumps!  The amount of stage covered with his leaps! ), and very good technique from her, as well as a lovely stage presence.  I think this was one of the places that Capybara mentioned above, i.e. I found the tempo a bit strange in parts of it, but hey ho, they danced it brilliantly.  Anna Rose is, for me, another particularly outstanding dancer who will go far.  I was noticing her lovely, bird-like arms last night, and hoping that one day these will be swan wings...

It was clearly a good idea to have a break from this ballet as the company did indeed look like they were enjoying it a lot more than a couple of months ago.  Furthermore, for many of these dancers to have been dancing Woolf Works on Tuesday night, to then be dancing that most classical of ballets so well 24 hours later is a remarkable achievement.  Kudos to them all.

Happy Anniversary Sim ! I have seen Marcelino Sambe dancing the Bluebird and know what you mean ! 

• Like 1

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy anniversary Sim from me too!

And a very happy day at my end too; a red letter day. Hayward and Campbell were just amazing. Not just the beauty, clarity and musicality of their dancing, but the total belief and involvement from both of them that turned a formal fairy tale into a story of real, overwhelming love. Both of them surprised by joy in each other, revelling in each other, cherishing each other. Hayward started as a happy, excited teenager, proud of her youth, beauty and prowess; she developed into a young woman finding gift after gift in her handsome, gentle prince. Campbell, from the very first moment, was a fully rounded and real character. Never before have I felt so involved with the prince's story - normally, Beauty is really about Aurora with the prince a bit of a cipher. Not here. He was initially discontented, distracted, but courteous and gracious with the members of his court. Then when he sees the vision of Aurora, he knows immediately that she is what he has been looking for, waiting for, yearning for. And he cannot believe his good fortune. He dances with the vision in a state of stunned incredulity, and travels with the Lilac Fairy to the palace in the same joyful state. He realises more quickly than most princes what he must do to wake his Aurora, and with emphatic certainty. And he kisses her with such tenderness, and knows he has come home. Their Grand pas de deux was absolutely thrilling - the fastest and most daring fish dives I've seen, total absorption in each other, playing with the music for maximum expressiveness, brilliant solos - it had everything. Campbell is such a revelation. He reminds me of David Wall, or Stephen Jefferies - terrific dancer and terrific actor. Brilliant partner. Modest, but with great panache and showmanship. And Hayward is not just technically superb but also uses that technique to say so much, to say everything, with such artistry and intelligence.

Huge thanks to them and all the dancers that made this such a special performance.

• Like 24

Thought this afternoon's performance was superb. I loved the was Hayward came on stage and immediately seemed to take the whole audience into her arms and love them. And what a gorgeous partner she had. I don't think I've seen the act II solo better done; I believe even Antony Dowell regarded it as difficult. I realised this afternoon while I love Sleeping Beauty- I love the old fashioned courtesy that is shown, like the Lilac Fairy' polite but mocking bow to Carabosse, the Prince's courtesy to his courtiers. The whole cast terrific, hugely enjoyable afternoon.

• Like 12

I'm not sure how much I can add to this praise of Hayward and Campbell other than to agree wholeheartedly. Particularly with bridiem's comments about Alex's interpretation of the role of the prince. In my opinion, the prince is a nasty part because it's very hard to characterise him well in the amount of stage time he receives, but Alex managed it perfectly. You could feel from the second he entered that this was someone who was frustrated with his society and the people around him and confused about who he was and who he might become. For the first time watching SB, I felt like Aurora saved the prince emotionally as much as he saved her physically. 

Hayward deserves all the applause she received and more. She made wonderful transitions from a bright, joyous girl, fascinated with everything around her, to a trapped but hopeful dreamer to ultimately an adult, nearly a queen, in charge of her own court. She mentioned at the stage door afterwards that she wasn't feeling a hundred percent well, so if that is her ability when sick, I must repeat that I enthusiastically look forward to all she does in the future. My train to London was delayed by an hour, so I ended up rushing through the tube and eventually running from Leicester Square (to get in the door at precisely 1:30 yikes!), but it was worth every step to see them!

• Like 11

I went to see Francesca and Alexander today and I cried.  I have never cried during the Sleeping Beauty - ever.  Sometimes I'm bored through the processsion of dances.  I welled up not once, but several times.  This was something else.  The Rose Adagio and Frankie's complete joy throughout - her sheer youth and promise. .. and the little extra smile she gave the 3rd prince when she knew she was nearly at the end and had nailed it. Alexander Campbell is now the ultimate principal and prince - and what a partnership. I've never seen the Grand PDD executed like that - and I've seen it a few times. I was lucky, I was near the front and could see their faces so clearly, but the musicality of the dancing was on another plane.

Another highlight for me was Christina Arestis's Carabosse. She really enjoyed being evil and I loved her facial expressions.

• Like 15

I attended this afternoon's performance but I shall refrain from commenting until after I have seen the debut of Miss Yasmine Naghdi on Saturday. Miss Francesca Hayward was lovely, her usual lovely self I'd say, no surprises, but Mr Alexander Campbell was outstanding as the Prince. 

• Like 3

Can only agree with the others regarding Frankie's debut. Am I alone but I thought her Rose Adagio was wonderful, the pace, her balance and musicality was a total joy. The whole company danced beautifully particularly the younger dancers, we have some great years ahead, hope I live long enough to watch it.

• Like 7

I think Bridiem has written all that I could have wished about this afternoon's magical performance by Francesca Hayward and Alexander Campbell. Those fish dives were indeed spectacular (and Campbell's solo had the audience applauding enthusiastically mid variation which is a bit of a first for an ROH midweek matinee surely) and Hayward conquered the Rose Adagio balances with aplomb but it was the absolutely and mutually sympathetic musicality of their performance that seemed so very special to me. Both achieved some truly magical moments of playing with the phrasing giving expansion and breath to the movement and Campbell's tender concern to match Hayward's lines and show her off to her considerable best were exemplary. Astonishing indeed that she was unwell enough to have considered whether or not to do dance and yet produced something so totally exquisite.

Only a lack lustre and ill matched pair of Bluebirds and two lovely ladies having a tough time of it as Florestan's Sisters detracted, for me, from this afternoon.

I've rarely been moved rather than impressed by Beauty, but there was cumulative dampness about the gills this afternoon, and the key here was surely Campbell's performance in Act 2

• Like 8

Well, reading these comments has been a rollercoaster. I'm not a huge fan of Sleeping Beauty, but thought I would brave it to see Hayward and Campbell on 20th. Reading so many good things has made me very glad that I have tickets and I'm now really looking forward to it. Then Jamesrhblack says she's unwell? Please don't do this to me!

Edited by Saodan

Well, reading these comments has been a rollercoaster. I'm not a huge fan of Sleeping Beauty, but thought I would brave it to see Hayward and Campbell on 20th. Reading so many good things has made me very glad that I have tickets and I'm now really looking forward to it. Then Jamesrhblack says she's unwell? Please don't do this to me!

We were told at Stage Door she has been unwell but you'd have had no indication from her exquisite performance this afternoon. You are in for a real treat :-)

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 1

Sublime doesn't begin to describe this afternoon's performance. I am not normally a Sleeping Beauty person and only came to see Vadim the night before (truly splendid as always) and Frankie and Alex's debut. To say none disappointed would be a woeful understatement. I am not normally an emotional spectator but I felt myself welling up with the sheer beauty of Frankie and Alex's performance and so did several others I spoke to. She said afterwards she hadn't been feeling well so if she can achieve this level of performance when feeling unwell what can we expect when she is in full health? Amazing, and how lucky we are to have such wonderful talents performing in this country and what a pity only one version can be recorded. After this the Mariinsky may seem a bit tame and I never thought I'd say that!

• Like 11

I can't really add any more to what has already been said about Frankie and Alex's performances this afternoon, everything I felt has already been said. I would only say that I wasn't at all surprised by Alex as one of the best performances I had seen in the past was his debut in the role with BRB with Momoko Hirata as Aurora. It had exactly the same effect as this afternoons.

• Like 6

Went to a second SB today ... and in the evening performance Takada embellished her already polished technical attack as Aurora with a lustrous melodiousness that sang throughout.  This performance was all cream.  (She was hugely helped in this regard by not having a Russian conductor in the pit.  [Long, of course, may they visit the ROH with their native companies.] Koen Kessels delighted our ears today with tempos much closer to those of the original score.  Delight and relief was evidenced all about.) 

I write however - as others have done before - about James Hay's Florimund.  Indeed I got a ticket to this performance - his last in this go round - as I had read the many fine comments about his performance on this Board.  Please know that I whole heartily agree with all that has been said.  I too must confess that I had not expected such utter and consistent brilliance.  Thus far - for me too - this is the finest all round depiction of the prince in this production.  Hay's third act solo was clarion; so much so that I began to wonder if he might have been coached by Dowell.  So much of his dramatic performance - so rich in its characterful assonance - shared a Dowellesque humility, including the soulful sweep of those eyes.  

Hay's first variation in the last act's grand PDD had the resonance of an aria unto itself.  The cheers he received for it were more than well placed; they'd been rightly earned.  Maybe next time he will get entrance applause much as Campbell deservedly received in the afternoon.  If no one else is willing to lead it, I certainly NOW will.  Happily so.    

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10

I am off to see this on Monday, and was hoping to find out who would be dancing the Lilac Fairy, Bluebirds and so on.  I was hoping this information might be available by clicking on the names of individual dancers, but as far as I can see, the only person who is dancing/has danced the LF in the most recent production is Laura McCulloch.

I was wondering who was responsible for updating their details on the ROH web pages?  Because if those in charge of these things won't list the casting for these important roles under the cast details for the ballet, they could at least add it somewhere else.  I can't believe that they don't know by now who will be dancing.    

Am I being an idiot?  Is the information on there somewhere, and I am just not looking in the right place? 

Beatriz Stix-Brunell is scheduled as Lilac Fairy on Monday evening.

• Like 1

I saw the Nunez/Muntagirov cast on Wednesday night. Sleeping Beauty is not my favourite ballet but the whole cast performed it so well that they went a long way towards reconciling me to it - although I still find most of the divertissements in Act 3 pretty superfluous.

Standouts for me were Marcellino Sambe as the Bluebird, and Anna Rose O'Sullivan as both Princess Florine (hard to believe it was her role debut) and the Songbird Fairy (exquisite). Also Kristen McNally as Carrabosse - wonderfully wicked and over the top!

I thought Nunez was superb - perhaps not as innocent as Aurora as one might wish but to be honest her stage presence is so radiant it hardly matters. The Rose Adagio was a delight - perhaps a little tentative to begin with but then it was her first outing as Aurora this season.

And Muntagirov - wow! His dancing just gets better and better - his solos! The Soliloquy in Act 1 was flawless and beautiful. I haven't seen James Hay dance it, but I defy any dancer to come close to matching Vadim's innate elegance and grace, his exquisite lines, and the lyrical flow of his movements, particularly his arms and head. And overall, just the sheer beauty of his dancing, which can bring a lump to my throat regardless of the context. I have yet to see any male dancer come close to him in these ways. The Act 3 solo was spectacular and drew huge applause - certainly where I was sitting there was a sort of collective "wow" from the audience around me before erupting.

I took two friends with me this time who loved the whole thing, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again from a different perspective in the cinema!

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 7

I think Bridiem has written all that I could have wished about this afternoon's magical performance by Francesca Hayward and Alexander Campbell. Those fish dives were indeed spectacular (and Campbell's solo had the audience applauding enthusiastically mid variation which is a bit of a first for an ROH midweek matinee surely) and Hayward conquered the Rose Adagio balances with aplomb but it was the absolutely and mutually sympathetic musicality of their performance that seemed so very special to me. Both achieved some truly magical moments of playing with the phrasing giving expansion and breath to the movement and Campbell's tender concern to match Hayward's lines and show her off to her considerable best were exemplary. Astonishing indeed that she was unwell enough to have considered whether or not to do dance and yet produced something so totally exquisite.

Only a lack lustre and ill matched pair of Bluebirds and two lovely ladies having a tough time of it as Florestan's Sisters detracted, for me, from this afternoon.

I've rarely been moved rather than impressed by Beauty, but there was cumulative dampness about the gills this afternoon, and the key here was surely Campbell's performance in Act 2

one sister of florestan was delightful and dainty - the other not well matched for this trio in my opinion.....

Akane Takada and James Hay were as delightful last night as I imagined they would be, usually the Prince is a mere partner but James Hay gave him a personality, I've never noticed so much acting in the vision scene from a serious young man to one resolved to seek out Aurora, the boat journey looked particularly magical too for a change.

Akane Takada has the marvellous mix of delicacy and strong technique, and she was able to finish every solo perfectly on pointe and with exuberance, and the Rose Adagio, I'm sure she gained many new admirers, I've always loved her dancing but missed her in Giselle and Two Pigeons.

Seeing so many young dancers kept me interested throughout, Tierney Heap as the Lilac Fairy, Reece Clarke as her cavalier, Beatriz Stix-Brunell in the prologue (so glad she is dancing the Lilac Fairy), Valentino Zuchetti in the Florestan pas de trois, and  Meaghan Grace Hinkis and Luca Acri as the Bluebirds were all new to me I think.

• Like 1

one sister of florestan was delightful and dainty - the other not well matched for this trio in my opinion.....

With the greatest respect, neither of the lovely ladies involved could realistically be described as "delightful and dainty" being two of the taller and stronger ladies in the company...

Thank you Bridium and all for your refections above - a sublime performance yesterday afternoon which will live long in the memory.

I'd never really seen Sleeping Beauty as other than a fairy tale (albeit perfectly charming) but Francesca and Alex made it so human. The support from all the dancers for Francesca was so touching - the warmth of all four Cavaliers during the Rose Adage and their exchanges of smiles with Francesca and I'm sure I saw Anna Rose (what a wonderful contribution she has made during the last 36 hours or so) transfixed in admiration and willing Francesca on in her solos. Alex was of course the perfect partner and so much more. Reliving the whole performance continues to bring a lump to the throat as I'm sure it does for many who were fortunate enough to be there.

I do hope Francesca is fully recovered for Monday and that another audience will be utterly entranced!

• Like 10

Thank you Bridium and all for your refections above - a sublime performance yesterday afternoon which will live long in the memory.

I'd never really seen Sleeping Beauty as other than a fairy tale (albeit perfectly charming) but Francesca and Alex made it so human. The support from all the dancers for Francesca was so touching - the warmth of all four Cavaliers during the Rose Adage and their exchanges of smiles with Francesca and I'm sure I saw Anna Rose (what a wonderful contribution she has made during the last 36 hours or so) transfixed in admiration and willing Francesca on in her solos. Alex was of course the perfect partner and so much more. Reliving the whole performance continues to bring a lump to the throat as I'm sure it does for many who were fortunate enough to be there.

I do hope Francesca is fully recovered for Monday and that another audience will be utterly entranced!

Reliving indeed. I've never been quite so touched, even moved, by a performance of Beauty as that of yesterday afternoon...

• Like 4

I think many of yesterday afternoon's difficulties in the Florestan section were due to the conductor having a rush of blood to the baton.  I have never heard those female variations taken so quickly.

Lindsay, this was, I believe, due to the conductor returning the score to its rightful tempi.  Quite right too.  it deserves to be that exciting ... and I'm sure all in time will catch up.  He has conducted the NYCB production - and it plays to speed - as, happily does the Ratmansky ABT one.  It's just the Russian conductors who seem determined to slow everything down ... and - at least in the recent past - it is usually those conductors we have heard - as recently as December - conduct this score.  There is a marked difference.  

• Like 1