Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thankyou so much 2 dancers mum!!

Have just finished packing ......and am marginally under required weight just hoping my and BA ''s scales coincide!!

I've got my pocket eye witness guide to St Petersburg and marked the hotel and the Mariinsky Theatre so am all set!

• Like 4

Toi toi toi

And I hope you enjoy Petersburg. It's a very beautiful city (although some of my adventures there make me want to warn you to take a lot of care and be very street-smart - Russia's amazing but not a very safe country. But you just need to use more than usual precautions for keeping your valuables safe, and you'll be fine).

• Like 1

Have just caught up with the article you posted youngatheart!

This lady is amazing to look so good on pointe in her 60's ....I loved reading her story.

That's one thing have not dared to do ....though occasionally been tempted to consider....go back onto pointe!

In my case decided that better not stress my poor old bunions any further and be grateful am still able to get through a normal class!!

I so agree with what she has said about general health though. It sis no mean feat to shift 10kg once you get into late 50's and 60's etc.

I'm still trying to get to my goal weight (still a healthy one for my height etc) but I do have a sweet tooth and drink too much beer at weekends!! And the Baily's season is not too far off now!!

But it is good to be on the lesser end of the healthy weight scale if you do dancing to protect your joints especially if doing pointe work.

The name Esther Juon rings a bell.....I'm sure she had a connection to Brighton a few years back.....as I've heard some down here talk about an Esther with a Spanish sounding surname who used to be a much admired teacher here.....will find out!

Thankyou all so much for your good wishes. I still cannot quite believe that tomorrow will be in St Petersburg!!

Our teacher has organised a class for us on Thursday with a famous ex dancer of Mariinsky which is exciting if a bit daunting.....just hope he realises we are all amateurs!

And hope to see CeliB's son in class at the Vaganova school on Wednesday!!

Our own performance is on Friday at a university theatre there ...so a few wobbly knees then I think

Linda xxx

• Like 6

Have a super time, Lin! Word of advice if you haven't already been told - don't drink the tap water in St Petersburg, not even to rinse your mouth when cleaning teeth. Bottled water by the sink! My dd was lucky enough to go to Russia on a school trip and this advice was drummed into the girls while they were in St Petersburg. :)

• Like 1

Greetings Ballet enthusiasts! Exciting news: I'm staring new weekly open Ballet class at the beautiful Frances Lundy Studio in Chiswick, starting at 12noon on Friday 4 November. Small class, friendly atmosphere, all welcome. Please go to my web site

https://nickykeayfitness.com/open-basic-level-ballet-classes/

Hello Nicky, welcome to the forum. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Anna C and NO......I hadn't been told about the tap water thing!! Will warn the others!!

Oh gosh! Yes, do! :) Daughter was there a couple of years ago and the girls were warned to never drink tap water or have ice cubes in St Petersburg, not even for teeth cleaning. Moscow was fine. Apparently the water in St P has since improved slightly *at source* but many pipes inside the city and buildings are still in such a bad way that the advice remains. In any case, better safe than sorry, eh!

• Like 1

Have an amazing time at the Mariinsky - I found it inspiring. Hopefully it won't be -10 with thick snow on the ground for you and the taxi driver will not refuse to return to pick you up, even when he is booked to!

• Like 1

Just seen the stuff about tap water - we were not aware of this and 4 of us used it to clean teeth with no ill effects (about 3 years ago). I was split from the rest of the group and had my case searched very thoroughly at the entrance to the airport, though. They were made to go in and I did wonder if I would ever see them again, but all was fine!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pompom_Featherbottm

The nearest Adult ballet class that I have attended was :
The Elite Academy of Dance, St Annes Church Hall, Harrowby Road, Grantham NG31 9DS
But that was a few years ago and I guess that’s a fair few miles for you to travel.

I did ask some of the dancers I was with yesterday and a couple of Nottingham classes were mentioned, however I forgot to write them down before I left last night, sorry about that.

Have you considered checking out these:

Nottingham Dance Centre, 1 Parliament Terrace, Nottingham NG1 5FX

Jill Gregory School of Dancing, Sherwood, Nottingham NG5 3FN

Rollo Academy of Performing Arts ,Roden House, Roden St, Nottingham, NG3 1JH

Leonard School Of Dance Ltd 24 Leahurst Road, Nottingham, NG2 6JG

Studio 3 Mapperley Dance & Fitness Centre, 3 Robinson Rd, Nottingham, NG3 6BA

ABC Dance School, St Ann’s Hill Road, Nottingham, NG3 4GQ

The Academy Dance and Fitness Studio, Arnold Business Centre, Byron Industrial Estate, Brookfield Gardens, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 7ER

Eastwood & Nuthall School of Dance, Mob: 07793 563811

It looks like I've come to the point where everything I do in class feels wrong. I know it's normal, I know it's a matter of my getting to a stage when I can understand a new set of things to fix, but it's still going to be a pain in the bottom - possibly literally - for the next few months.

Also, it looks like I learn combinations better by naming the steps rather than marking through.

Well, I had a shitty modern class on Monday for no reason I can identify. The week before was cracking. This would be less worrying if we weren't barrelling towards SHOWING.

And tomorrow...ballet.

• Like 1

Oo Colman, I'm just doing some research into different learning styles for an assignment. I have a group of male students who still remember en arriere as Harry's Hair, because I told them that Harry was a balding man and the only way they could see his hair was from the back.

These may interest you:

http://www.danceadvantage.net/remembering-choreography/

https://www.schoolonwheels.org/pdfs/3121/Learning-Styles.pdf

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And en dehors has always been "out the door" for me!

I am bumping this thread to say that I received an email announcing the ENB classes for the Winter term starting in January, plus information about workshops. I know a lot of us here already get these emails, but for new readers and so on - you can check on their website as well, and register there for a regular informational email.

http://www.ballet.org.uk/classes/ 

I was pleased to see that Birmingham Ballets 'Cinderella Dreams' really was inclusive of students of all ages. The role of the fairy godmother has gone to a lovely lady aged 75, who will be known i'm sure to any regular attendees of the adult RAD associates in Birmingham. What a lovely experience for her!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend drop-in Contemporary classes please? I think they might do them at The Place but at first glance I found the levels confusing. If there are any in Central London rather than South of the river, that would be great. Probably looking for Cunningham/Release based or Graham, for a young adult with several years' Contemporary experience and Advanced Ballet who has had a break from Contemporary.

I had a look at Danceworks but am wondering if The Place or Rambert would be better for Contemporary?

Thank you. :)

I don't actually know if they are drop in but when my DD enquired about contemporary classes in London she was recommended Danceworks, Flow Dance London and City Academy, though there are some classes at Pineapple also. DD never actually tried any out as she got a contract and off she went so I cannot actually say I recommend any of them but these were the names given to her by dancer friends in London.

• Like 1

The Rambert and the Place would both be good but can't remember whether they are drop in or not these days or whether you have to pay upfront for a course. Some places will do drop in if there is space on the night but that can be a bit hit or miss and not good if you have any travelling to do to get there!!

• Like 1