Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

1 hour ago, munchkin16 said:

I didn’t make it this Sunday in the end, but I’m planning to try the improvers plus class next week with David so I’ll let you know how it goes! Does anyone have recommendations for a class any time on Friday in London which might be low intermediate level? 

there's three ballet classes at Central on a friday evening 

have a look at the class  descriptions for  Nina T-M or Michael Branwell's (i'm sure   the link the class descriptions  page got posted as well as   descriptions of DPK;s classes)   -  i suspect given your criteria Hannah Frost's will be too basic  for what you want ... ( not taken any of them  -  last time i was in London on a friday evening i went to the ROH to see the  'shocking' version of the MacMillan  triple bill  (  gloria / judas tree/ elite sync)

7.00-8.30pm Ballet (Elementary/General)with Nina Thilas-Mohs
7.00-8.30pm Ballet Beginner with Hannah Frost
7.00-8.30pm

Ballet (Elem/Inter)+Beginner Pointe - Michael Branwell

Edited by Nicola H

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Branwell will be a quite dancey class. .....and seemingly about the level you are looking for.

Michael is keen on Cechetti so if you used to that you will feel very familiar with it all but enjoyable even if not familiar with this form.

I know Michael from Chelsea Ballet Summer school but also danced with him years ago when in the Chelsea Ballet ( Amateur Company)

id go for it as Central classes are so reasonably priced too.

The Friday night classes I would recommend:

Hannah Frost at Danceworks 4:30-6pm. She then dashes across town to Central School, and does a Basic Beginners. The Danceworks one is called Beginners, but if you want a really strong tune up of your alignment and technique, and detailed hands on corrections, her classes are very very good. She is a very good, compassionate (and funny) teacher.

At Central Nina Thilas-Mohs' class is really enjoyable, and is at a lowish Intermediate, although a lot of professional dancers take it. Nina teaches a very specific style, based on Cristina Bernal & Maggie Black. So (pace the other thread criticising a class at Central) if you're thinking RAD 'Intermediate' you'll find this a very different class. But I love the technique: it warms you up & turns you out like nothing else (except Renato Paroni's teaching). You do a lot of stuff in 1st at the barre, and a lot of co-ordination of port de bras and feet, but not in the RAD way.  Nina's teaching is US-based (hence Bernal), with elements of the speed and placement that Balanchine-style dancers are taught in.

And Nina's centre really MOVES - I love it! And the extra added bonus is that she attracts some lovely ex/pre/professionals so they are a joy to watch. She does good hands on corrections, and really teaches. And she's just a lovely warm, enthusiastic teacher, who seems to love doing it. You'll get at least 90 minutes, if not 105 (she generally stops after an hour & three quarters!)

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 21:02, LinMM said:

Another teacher at Central who is very popular teaches in the afternoon there about 3ish I think (great if you've had a bit of a late night on the Saturday!) He is Brazilian and any minute now will remember his name ....he's also good but found his classes a bit too crowded for my liking.

Renato Paroni - he is indeed a master teacher - one of the best I have ever encountered (and I've just come back from a US trip & several NYC ballet classes with very good teachers). He was Tamara Rojo's coach. HIs barre leaves you completely turned out & ready to dance - I find I can turn forever in his class.

Unfortunately, at the moment, he's working in Germany, and there are various substitute teachers. Henriett Tunyogi is the main sub, but I find her style of teaching less compelling, although she gives a refreshingly challenging class. It is very different from a standard RAD class - much more like the classes I do when I'm in the US at various studios.  There's another thread or set of posts basically complaining about her class - so it's a matter of style & personal taste & your dancing aims, I think - horses for courses there. I can see why someone used to the English style would find Henriett's class unsympathetic and odd. The reason I don't attend her class regularly is that she doesn't do the active hands on corrections that Renato does, nor that Nina Thilas-Mohs does - she's quite a passive teacher. In the summer, Antonia Francheschi was also subbing for Renato - it is quite exciting being taught by a legend - but she's back in New York now.

You are all so full of knowledge it’s incredibly helpful thank you! Hannah’s class at danceworks would be good as my technique is all over the place at the moment but I am tempted by Michael’s class at central. I’m originally Cechetti trained so it would be fun to get back to that. Is the beginner pointe part of the class and if so what the sort of level that is aimed at?

If your technique is "all over the place" at the moment a) Hannah's class will really tune it up - I'm at a solid intermediate (and used to be advanced) level, and I find her class really gets me back to basics, and she has an eagle eye for small adjustments for me that really help; and b ) might it be worth giving pointe work a miss? 

If you're not feeling mentally/physically strong or confident about basic technique, you could be vulnerable to injury, which would be horrid for you ... 

The only thing I'd say about Hannah's class is that you don't do much across the floor, so there's not a lot of big sweeping movement. Nina's class is FANTASTIC for that - she really gets you moving.

I tried Hannah’s beginners class on Saturday afternoon, it was a good back to basics but not my most enjoyable style of teaching. I also really missed doing anything across the floor, everything was very static. 

I also managed to get to David’s improvers plus class at Central and it was perfect. Really fun combinations but still breaking down the technique. Thanks for your advice everyone! 

• Like 3

On 21/01/2018 at 18:22, munchkin16 said:

I tried Hannah’s beginners class on Saturday afternoon, it was a good back to basics but not my most enjoyable style of teaching. I also really missed doing anything across the floor, everything was very static. 

Yes, I agree that there's not much across the floor in Hannah's beginners' class - sometimes there's a drill on pirouettes en dedans which really moves across the studio. But her teaching around alignment and placement, and the anatomical mechanics of ballet is excellent - I find it a refreshing tune up, and in my experience, she has an eagle eye - I always get very helpful corrections from her - just little things that really help with what I know are habitual issues. And she's one of the few teachers in London that I've taken class from who will do very hands on corrections.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know where to post this as adult ballet has come up in so many posts. But just wanted to say that this week I did my first adult class for 15 years. It was lovely to be back, even if my head does know a whole lot more than my struggling body! There were five of us of varying levels and I'm in the middle, which is fine. The poor teacher just has to keep challenging the two who've been dancing for a while, and also hang on to the two who haven't really done any ballet. I don't mind how easy or hard it is – I just want to get stronger and enjoy moving to music again. Ballet was Thursday, and I had my regular hour of Pilates on Friday. This morning (Saturday), I literally hobbled out of the bedroom, glad no one could see me looking ALL of my 54 years :D

• Like 13

That's wonderful, Cara! Sounds like a great class. My regular weekly classes stay resolutely in the basic beginners level (although we did a renversé in adage on Thursday), so it's hard to be challenged. But I see it as an opportunity to really keep on cementing the fundamentals.

And it's always the 2nd day after new/strenuous exercise that you feel it - DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness.  It gets better! I've started a weekly personal training session (aka torture) but the difficulty of going downstairs 2 days afterwards lessens each week. That's progress!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

On 17/02/2018 at 09:37, Cara in NZ said:

It was lovely to be back, even if my head does know a whole lot more than my struggling body! 

I too have a willing mind and a not so willing body. You would think that after 30+ years of thrice weekly weight lifting sessions and 20+ years of twice weekly ballet classes, that there wouldn't be any more aches. Nup! Still limp out after ballet class but I recover very quickly. 

I went to see the BRBs Sleeping Beauty the other day. It's not my favourite ballet (too long) and my mind tends to wander a bit. I notice the steps and think to my self "I can do all that", although, of course, no where near as well

• Like 4

Just nipping in to say briefly I got my first chance to perform on stage this weekend as part of our adult performance group, 4 of us took to the stage during the schools annual show to perform a dance one of our teachers crafted for us, the first performance on Sat I was terrified, but I had a job to do & did it, I focused on the dance, made it through to the end even if a little wobbly with jelly legs through nerves.

As I got into the wings I may have said a naughty word but one of our teachers just pointed me to turn round & said "listen" the applause was amazing, I'm glad she did or I'd have just run off disappointed in myself for not doing my best & missed it, just taking in that moment was fantastic, the 2nd night the feeling was pure excitement, it's so hard to describe that feeling of waiting to go out but it's amazing! if you get chance go for it, I'm an exceptionally shy person so if I can do it anyone can.

• Like 17

• 1 year later...

I am going to jump into this thread and ask what are you wearing for adult ballet classes? I am a mum who never danced, just sat in the car while DD danced, active (size 10/12) but never went to the gym. 
I have been challenged by my DD to join adult ballet class this month and to try what is really going on in the studio.

What do you ladies wear? I am sure i will not go full time with the classes so do not want to spend too much. I am planing to wear my DD soft shoes she left behind but what on top? Thank you x

• Like 3

I tend to wear a leotard with leggings over the top, though most adults in my class tend to wear regular gym clothes - leggings and a tank top or tshirt. I'm tall and can't stand the feeling of my top riding up or sweaty armpits which is why I stick with a leotard. I only to break out the tights for when I'm dancing with teenagers, preparing for an exam or doing a workshop. In that case, I'd also wear a skirt to feel more covered up.

For your first class, I'd say wear something comfortable that you can move in. I wouldn't go out and buy anything yet, though it's very easy to get sucked down a dancewear rabit hole. Even an old pair of tracky bottoms would do as long as they aren't dragging on the floor and likely to trip you up.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your first class.

• Like 2

Well at least you are a great size for any over the counter ballet wear you can buy in the shops!! 

However as you are trying this out I would just find some track suit bottoms and wear a t- shirt that goes with them etc. 

Or are you in a position to borrow either tights  and/or leotard from your daughter .....or is she much smaller? 

Otherwise tracksuit bottoms as long as not too baggy around the ankles should be absolutely fine. 

Obviously if you haven't got any track suit bottoms either and so will have to splash out on something then I can recommend the M and S leggings in various colours and patterns and you might even get a t- shirt there to match!! Some might be in the current sale too! 

Hope you enjoy it anyway 😊

LNER looks pretty ghastly for the next couple of months.  Some weekends already announced as don't go to London 

https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/travelling-later/kings-cross-upgrade/

Others with very reduced service.  

I often drive to Stevenage and just get the train from there - at present more reliable than getting the train the whole way from the Midlands, as so many services that you can jump on for the last 20 minutes.  I  stay at the Holiday Inn Express so I can park my car and just walk to the station.  £4 for as long as you are staying ..

I wear either a leotard with 3/4-length leggings over the top, or a leo and tights with a chiffon skirt.  Depends how I feel on the day - I'm really curvy, have gained a few pounds recently, and I find there's a fine line between feeling confident and feeling large!

• Like 2

thank you ladies for your responses. I am not brave to go into leotard (yet) but will get some simple leggins and loose top to start with. I am nowhere near to fit my DD tights or clothing (i tried and you all would laugh) i only fit into her shoes as we have same size. I migh add her wrap skirt i found in her wardrobe to look a part. 
Thank you again x

• Like 4

Hi I hardly ever wear a leotard....they rarely pull up far enough to be really comfortable on me but you are a much smaller size so you should be able to find a good fitting one for when you feel more confident. 

Uniglo also make some nice tops which look a bit like you are wearing a leotard and their leggings/ tights are really soft and feel nice on slightly less leg gripping than say Bloch or Capezio tights but easier to put on ....no hopping around on one leg trying to get the second leg through ....it's like they don't want you to put them on almost 😬 

I hope you will tell us how you got on in your first class 😊

• Like 2

I wear a leotard and black tights over the top. In this weather it's usually a long-sleeved leo, and I wear knitted wool shorts as warm-ups, and a thin cotton long-sleeved t-shirt. I can't bear baggy stuff when I'm dancing - I like everything firm & tight, including my hair - which is very long and always pinned into a bun. I've tried just a pony tail  but I hate it when I'm turning or doing a cambre forwards. I tend to do pliés and tendus in socks, and then change into my canvas shoes - I really like to work on warming up my feet as close to the floor as possible.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I'm studying Baroque historical dance but so much want to improve technique by finding adult classical ballet lessons - but finding them for the few days in the week available is difficult. Which makes me sad because the couple months I was able to train was really, really interesting and rewarding. Any tips to find what I need?

Edited by Alexander
typo

51 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Hi All, I'm studying Baroque historical dance but so much want to improve technique by finding adult classical ballet lessons - but finding them for the few days in the week available is difficult. Which makes me sad because the couple months I was able to train was really, really interesting and rewarding. Any tips to find what I need?

what area of the country are you based in? 

• Like 2

Sorry I don’t know your area. The main ballet examination boards should have a teacher finder on their websites. Or would you consider travelling into central London as there are classes available all day, every day pretty much!

• Like 1

@Alexander could I suggest that you post a new separate thread on this, and add some tags, such as 'adult ballet' and maybe 'basingstoke' so that your request is seen by more people?

It's rather buried in this very long thread, which tends to be more of a blog from one of Balletco's adult ballet students. Your request won't be seen by many posters who may have information, but don't read this thread because of its focus.

• Like 3