Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballet Cymru joined forces with G Dance (Gloucestershire Dance) which is a group to include dancers with all sort of disabilities and they performed "Stuck in the Mud" at Hidcote Manor Gardens in Gloucestershire and other venues.  It was amazing to see what they accomplished - though not sure I remember any triple pirouettes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LujaVMBLSAI

The clip attached has glimpses of it though is more of a pre -the - event promotional clip.  This was summer 2013 but I believe they are doing it again this year

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that one of the contributors to this forum - I won't say who it is and will leave it to her to disclose her identity if she so wishes - inspired me the other day in my struggle to master pirouettes. That lady wrote:

"Next week pirouettes you and me are sorting this out, I will no longer let you mock my pitiful attempts to turn in a circle! I'm not scared of you," 

Hear hear! Admirable sentiments! I could not put it better myself.

As it happens I took a class with that lady the other day and was in the group of students immediately behind her. Owing to a misspent youth and middle age I am very much heavier and more rickety than I should be and can this stay in relevé only so long before my toes, arches or ankles (and often all three simultaneously) give way with the result that I can make only a few attempts at pirouettes in any one evening. I had already had my quota of goes for the day but the author of the quotation trod so beautifully that I was inspired to muster all the sinews of this tired, frail old body to have another go. And you know what. I did a bit better. At least I feel I did.  

I had another bash at pirouettes yesterday and my relevés were stronger. It is push catch that I have to master now.  

Pirouettes are what my late father called the "pons asinorum" when referring to the proof of Pythagoras's theorem in maths. I mastered that when I was a child and I am determined to master pirouettes now if it is the last thing I do.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 7

I haven't been on this topic much because I have not been to that many classes since we moved. For reasons I will not go into, I felt out of place at the dance school I was going to and I was very close to giving up for good, except I felt I couldn't bear to do that. I tried a new school which has only been open for nine months. They were well established in another town and opened a branch here. It is almost identical to the school I left in Herts. I felt instantly at home, had a brilliant class, really liked the teacher and I have been so high for the last 20 hours that it's like flying. I feel properly happy for the first time for months.

• Like 10

I haven't been on this topic much because I have not been to that many classes since we moved. For reasons I will not go into, I felt out of place at the dance school I was going to and I was very close to giving up for good, except I felt I couldn't bear to do that. I tried a new school which has only been open for nine months. They were well established in another town and opened a branch here. It is almost identical to the school I left in Herts. I felt instantly at home, had a brilliant class, really liked the teacher and I have been so high for the last 20 hours that it's like flying. I feel properly happy for the first time for months.

Good for you!   Don't let outside forces make decisions for you - there's always another way - another door.  Usualy a better door.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

I am so pleased for you Fiz. Finding the right class for the individual is so important. What works well for one person is often totally wrong for another. Sounds like you have found the right teacher for you and I hope some nice new ballet friends in the making????

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Evening, Adult Dance folks!

As the "Simply Adult Ballet" thread has, like its predecessor, become very long at 65+ pages, it's become a little difficult to find information among the long posts and discussions. As Michelle_Richer started the thread to continue reporting on her "ballet journey", we are wondering if a new thread would be useful in conjunction with the "Simply Adult Ballet"?

If we could use this thread for questions, answers, information and discussions about adult dance classes, workshops, attire etc. but keep longer, "blog style" posts in the other thread, I think it might be easier for everyone to find information in the separate threads.

Many thanks. :)

• Like 17

Good idea, I'll start! Is anyone else struggling with extensions, particularly to the back? I know there are a few threads about this in relation to the youngsters (who are usually training professionally and presumably quite flexible). Your back definitely stiffens up as you get older! Is the answer still to work on strength or is it about increasing flexibility too? Is the progressing ballet technique still a good programme for adults and if so, what level? Can anyone else suggest something that works?

• Like 3

Oh yes! My legs/torso are weird: I can do waist height extensions to the front quite easily, and ditto to the side - although I tend to lift my hip, but to the back I'm lucky to get anything decent above 45 degrees.

I have a fairly flexible back (for my age - I'm heading for 58) and strong core. If I really work on it, by doing that exercise with a tendu derriere, then a backbend, then bringing my leg up as my body goes back to upright, I can get a good line, and a leg just below hip height, but oh dear my arabesque in adage.  :o

Any other exercises that others have used which help?

• Like 3

Sorry, Anna, should have started by saying thank you for this new thread! The other one was so long I think lots of good information had got lost.

And now I'm after some good information - I'm suffering from sore Achilles - I am getting back into running (well, jogging really) which in the long run makes me a much stronger dancer, but I've got really really sore Achilles tendons now. I do heel drops & rises on the edge of a stair (3 x 10 repetitions)  & calf stretches, anything else anyone can recommend? At the moment, tit's the transitions from flat to demi pointe, and pointing my foot that are difficult - that is, when the tendon needs to contract. Stretching it (plies, heel drops) are fine.

I've had a few sessions with a physiotherapist in the past over this - he says, just keep up with the heel drops & rises. And try to "dance without tension." 

• Like 1

Hi Kate. I have suffered with Achilles problems which originally stopped me dancing all together at the end of my training. I was recommended things by a very highly renowned dance Physio for a couple of years but they made not a blind bit of difference. This condition flared up often over the next 20 years especially when I began to run. I have since sorted the problem completely since training as a Pilates teacher and attending further training on injury prevention. No problems now for about 10 years.

I never stretch my Achilles before exercise, no heel drops. I do lots of slow rises in parallel, ankle rotations at a very slow speed, intrinsic foot strengthening exercises before exercise. I stretch the Achilles very gently after exercise - in the past I was told to stretch, stretch , stretch but while it felt good at the time it had disasterous consequences for my long term rehab. Also massage the Achilles in long slow strokes either up or down but not both. You will no doubt feel a lump on the Achilles which is most likely scar tissue, this will be interfering with the smooth tracking of the tendon so gentle massage will help to release the scar tissue. If it's too sore to rise initially then massage for a few days then try to rise. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Just as an aside to the query re back extension. Make sure you do lots of glute strengthening - my go to the exercise is swan dive with slow rocks, maintaining the swan dive extension. Great glute strengthener. I think the first thing to really go in ballet as we age is the rear extension....????

• Like 2

Thank you, Harwel, that's very helpful. I'll reorder how I do the stretching etc. Like you, I find the deep stretching really relieves the (mild) pain, but maybe it's exacerbating things. And yes, I do have a bit of scar tissue on the tendon, so will try the massage. I think I'm going to have to give up the running, and substitute rowing or cycling (but both are very very boring for me ...) 

I'm sorry that you're in pain, KateN. I know many dancers swear by Pilates as does a new older friend who swears it has kept him mobile when he was seizing up from aches and pains but I don't know if it works for Achilles tendon problems. Good luck!

• Like 1

Adding to my list: get back to Pilates classes. I had a summer off from exercise other than ballet, so I'm hoping this is just a flare up when starting back into serious fitness training. My gym offers some good Pilates & bodybalance training.

• Like 3

I'm coming to the view that we really need something like Pilates to hold us together as we age: something that ensures we're using our bodies properly. I suspect a lot of damage is done by our bad habits in how we move. (Or don't move, see risks of office chairs).

Ballet (or whatever) isn't enough: the difference might be that while ballet (martial arts, running, horse riding, swimming) teaches us to be strong for functional reasons it doesn't deal with the bad habits outside that. Pilates (and tai chi, chi gung, maybe Alexander technique) try to correct the general bad habits. Of course you need a good teacher.

• Like 4

What I do for my Achilles isn't Pilates as such - just exercises which I have placed together from ballet, FRC, general ankle and foot strengthening. My Pilates training has taught me many interesting things about how to train a body generally, the principles can be applied to any part of the body you just have to be a little inventive sometimes, hence the reason I incorporate lots of other useful training tips into my classes.

• Like 2

I'm coming to the view that we really need something like Pilates to hold us together as we age: something that ensures we're using our bodies properly. I suspect a lot of damage is done by our bad habits in how we move. (Or don't move, see risks of office chairs).

I completely agree. To do the things we love such as ballet, martial arts, horse riding etc we first need to strengthen the body. I actually love Pilates for its own sake, but I am probably in the minority, I really think it should be viewed as preparation for the fun stuff. I am also a massive fan of FRC, absolutely brilliant for joint care! I now incorporate that in every class I teach and my clients love it.

• Like 4

Sorry I feel stupid but what is FRC?!

Just an idea about the running, have you had a fair assessment and tailored running shoes recommended?

I had a summer off from all exercise with an injury so finding it rather difficult now!

And what is a "swan Dive" .....sorry for ignorance as it sounds like something I should know!!

Since my Achilles injury I manage very carefully in class and never do rises holding a balance ( eg in retiree) on ONE leg too early on in the class. As sometimes this can be put in right at the beginning after plies etc

Cannot better Harwels advice really but as you get older definitely take the time to allow the body to warm up gradually....not always easy I know when surrounded by 20 and 30 year olds!!

But I always think do I want to bring on 6months out....well no...so just stay with ones own body.

The arabesque at the back thing I can so sympathise with ....I'm the same lucky if get 45 at the back. The only way I feel I can make up for it is to really stretch the leg as much as possible and try to go for a good line so at least it looks sort of passable.

One exercise I was given for this is just lying on the floor on ones tummy and with the thought of making a curve in the air lift each leg independently really aiming to get this curve.....from the hip out....so leg is straight ....but this really stretches the front of the thigh and works something....not sure what ...at the top of the hip at the back .....which is extraordinarily tight on me.

• Like 1

That's it Colman - Finctional Range Conditioning developed by Canadian chiropractor Dr Andrio Spina. Follow him on Instagram etc amazing stuff. Check it out on you tube too. A great practitiiner and teacher is an American who goes under the name 'hunter fitness' I have done a course here in London. Plan on doing more when finances allow.

'Swan dive' is a Pilates exercise where you lay on your front with legs hip width, hands by shoulders. Lift the upper body off the floor with the assistance of pushing into your hands so you are in a high back extension. To really get glutes working you maintain that position and rock on the front of the body lifting the legs as high off the floor as you can, arms stretch out in front of you. Then rock back and hands come into the floor. It is an advanced exercise and needs lots of abdominal strength to support the back and you need to be fully warmed up before attempting it.

• Like 3